FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > parents of fat kids

parents of fat kids

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uby0000 OP   Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

is it right that morbidly obese kids are being removed from their parents as its seen as abuse?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

It's a tough one...as some feel it's out of love that they are giving them the food they want. I think there needs to be some education and support before ever considering removing the children but if the parents are not changing then I can understand the reasoning. I'm overweight but I would never allow my child to become obese..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A parent has a responsibility to do the very best for the emotional and physical well being of their children . Therefore it is right isn't it ?

"It's a tough one...as some feel it's out of love that they are giving them the food they want. I think there needs to be some education and support before ever considering removing the children but if the parents are not changing then I can understand the reasoning. I'm overweight but I would never allow my child to become obese.."

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Ja ! I am in the street with my fat callipers now .....

Here kiddy kiddy kiddy ...

Ooooooo I am pinching inchings .....

"Ja ! I am in the street with my fat callipers now .....

Ooooooo I am pinching inchings ....."

This truly made me spit out my coffee laughing

By *atWolfCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

This truly made me spit out my coffee laughing "

It's such a tough one. My siblings and I were all very slim growing up, we had minimal naughty food and all treats were carefully monitored and never unlimited. ( ie friends who could take treats out of the fridge or cookie jar any time) Now older, we are all a bit porky and all naturally go for calorie rich food. We sometimes wonder if we allow ourselves a few too many treats now to compensate for when we were younger!

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

This truly made me spit out my coffee laughing

It's such a tough one. My siblings and I were all very slim growing up, we had minimal naughty food and all treats were carefully monitored and never unlimited. ( ie friends who could take treats out of the fridge or cookie jar any time) Now older, we are all a bit porky and all naturally go for calorie rich food. We sometimes wonder if we allow ourselves a few too many treats now to compensate for when we were younger! "

Same here. Add in that most treats were homemade and that the ones most strictly controlled were the bought ones and it seams that I'm now hardwired to think that bought/readymade is more desirable!

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

"is it right that morbidly obese kids are being removed from their parents as its seen as abuse?"

only after all other avenues have been explored and failed.

Social Services would be involved with a malnourished child and obesity is just another form of neglct.

I assume it is, as ever, a last resort and providing appropriate support has previously been offered I think it is a good thing

Social Services would be involved with a malnourished child and obesity is just another form of neglct.

I assume it is, as ever, a last resort and providing appropriate support has previously been offered I think it is a good thing

"is it right that morbidly obese kids are being removed from their parents as its seen as abuse?"

Yes if after mountains of support and nutritional education is ignored then it is right,it is abuse,overfeeding is not love

My daughter is the weight of a 5yr old.. and the height of a 5yr old but shes only just 4.

Yet perfectly normal if she was 5.

Looks perfectly healthy and by no means fat.. yet over weight for 4

hertfordshire

a lot of the problem is our snacks are too easy to give most kids live on crisps and fast food yes the parents should be helped but im not sure on the phycological effect on a child being taken away from their home

Social services don't remove children without first trying to work with the parents.

"a lot of the problem is our snacks are too easy to give most kids live on crisps and fast food yes the parents should be helped but im not sure on the phycological effect on a child being taken away from their home"

Would you worry about the effect of removing a starving child from their home?

"a lot of the problem is our snacks are too easy to give most kids live on crisps and fast food yes the parents should be helped but im not sure on the phycological effect on a child being taken away from their home"

Kids only live on fast food and crisps if that is what their parents feed them...

if the kids are morbidly obese then some kind of intervention is needed. the parents need smartening up aswell

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Based on a wholly unscientific survey of kids around where I live, the fat kids seem to have fat parents.

I doubt this is purely hereditary/ genetic, probably more the kids desire to be like Mum and Dad.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

I think taking a kid off a parent is going to cause more long term issues than it will solve. If the only justification is a poor diet then that needs to be resolved. Maybe counselling would be cheaper than running them through the welfare system

By *ooking75Man  over a year ago

Dudley

It's not just the physical effect of being obese that's a concern it's also the emotional effects, lets be honest we all went to school and can remember what it was like, I was a fat child and was bullied as are most big kids, you would think parents would take that into consideration when over feeding their kids, but then most big kids have big parents and because their parents are just feeding their kids what they eat they don't see the harm they are doing, so yes sometimes an outsider does need to step in

"Based on a wholly unscientific survey of kids around where I live, the fat kids seem to have fat parents.

I doubt this is purely hereditary/ genetic, probably more the kids desire to be like Mum and Dad."

The child stands no chance,it wil eat whats available,I don't think a child recognises at a young age the desire to get fat in a bid to be like its parents,its being nurtured by its parents lifestyle

By *ingjayMan  over a year ago

exeter

There's no no excuse for a kid being obese people it is down to the parent, the kid will grow to up thinking it's ok and normal, parents should take more control of what their kids eat, one thing I'm praised on all the time is my daughter's diets, they snack on pepper cucumber tomatoes and fruit, treats for them are seafood sticks, prawns and the occasional Mac McDonalds, I cook all meals from scratch the only thing they don't eat is mushrooms, they eat every veg, and aren't fussy over food, it's up to the parent to not 'force' them to eat healthy but encourage them! That's the problem and the excuse ' I don't want to force my kid to eat something they dont want to' that and laziness in trying to encourage them more, it's easier to say have a bag of crisps rather than prepare a healthy snack, but then kids will eat a pepper like an apple or eat a whole half a cucumber.

The authorities should either take the kids or have a term words with parents there is no excuse whatsoever for a kid to be massively overweight,

yumsville

"

The authorities should either take the kids or have a term words with parents there is no excuse whatsoever for a kid to be massively overweight, "

So they take the kids - enter them into the foster care system. Remove all contact from their biological parents. Create instability, cause heatbreak, resentment and a multitude of psychological damage to the child. As well as cost thousands of pounds for the taxpayer.

Best idea I have heard

"There's no no excuse for a kid being obese people it is down to the parent, the kid will grow to up thinking it's ok and normal, parents should take more control of what their kids eat, one thing I'm praised on all the time is my daughter's diets, they snack on pepper cucumber tomatoes and fruit, treats for them are seafood sticks, prawns and the occasional Mac McDonalds, I cook all meals from scratch the only thing they don't eat is mushrooms, they eat every veg, and aren't fussy over food, it's up to the parent to not 'force' them to eat healthy but encourage them! That's the problem and the excuse ' I don't want to force my kid to eat something they dont want to' that and laziness in trying to encourage them more, it's easier to say have a bag of crisps rather than prepare a healthy snack, but then kids will eat a pepper like an apple or eat a whole half a cucumber.

The authorities should either take the kids or have a term words with parents there is no excuse whatsoever for a kid to be massively overweight, "

There are too many parents out there that feed their kids rubbish, ive witnessed it first hand at parties where the kids have no idea what the vegetables are next to the dips etc. Its really worrying. My mini me classes getting pomegranate or blueberries as a school snack as an awesome day!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I know someone who had all three of her children taken of her. The three year old weighed 8 stone, but they tried all different options.

No way was I going to have a fat child

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"

The authorities should either take the kids or have a term words with parents there is no excuse whatsoever for a kid to be massively overweight,

So they take the kids - enter them into the foster care system. Remove all contact from their biological parents. Create instability, cause heatbreak, resentment and a multitude of psychological damage to the child. As well as cost thousands of pounds for the taxpayer.

Best idea I have heard "

Foster care isn't cheap.

By *osweet69Couple  over a year ago

portsmouth

All seems a bit drastic and over the top. Do we then take kids from parents that smoke drink gamble or even those that swing?

"All seems a bit drastic and over the top. Do we then take kids from parents that smoke drink gamble or even those that swing? "

actually if the drinking / gambling is affecting the life, health and well being of the child, yes they do get removed.

I have heard they might do this. But I work in a senior school and some kids are a bit overweight but they are given money by parents so go to the chippy on their way home, I know I've seen them but we all did/do it. I'm myself now overweight so not criticising them

yumsville

"All seems a bit drastic and over the top. Do we then take kids from parents that smoke drink gamble or even those that swing?

actually if the drinking / gambling is affecting the life, health and well being of the child, yes they do get removed. "

I'd expect this would only because the child is at direct risk of physical abuse. A child being obese is different as it is manageable/reversible given the right direction or education.

portsmouth

"All seems a bit drastic and over the top. Do we then take kids from parents that smoke drink gamble or even those that swing?

actually if the drinking / gambling is affecting the life, health and well being of the child, yes they do get removed. "

Ok then what about parents that argue a lot, or the husband that lives his life at the fishing lakes or at football or even spends too much time at work? Can you see where I'm coming from? Mental abuse can be far more damaging to a child than physical feeling them to much food. Where do you draw the line? Remember we are who we are as adults some times because of our parents and sometimes in spite of them.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

Ooooooo I am pinching inchings ....."

Haben Sie ein net like der child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

As a guy who could do with loosing a few pounds. I'm obsessed with a healthy diet for my two kids. I make sure they get regular exercise and go to lots of activity clubs and long walks in the country side. I don't want them falling foul the way I did. And am loosing some weight keeping up with them so good for us all really.

A judge told my daughter they couldn't take every child off a person who takes drugs because there would be nowhere to put them all. Unless the child is in serious danger the courts won't take the child away

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Surely its obvious to some parents that their children are morbidly obese? Mandatory Education avenues should be pursued before children are removed.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"Surely its obvious to some parents that their children are morbidly obese? Mandatory Education avenues should be pursued before children are removed. "

Obesity, once it reaches a certain degree, can be classed as a disability.

Some parents don't see why they or their children should deny themselves anything. Or have to work for anything.

By *ingjayMan  over a year ago

exeter

Theyre not just gonna take a kid a away for being chubby, but if a kid is so morvidl and oveses and it's affect your their health the authorities should step in, it is a form of neglect / abuse, and if people aren't capable of raising their kids then they shouldn't have them,

BIrvin the other side of the coin, when I moved into this house my neigh and was also a single father, althou he's in his forties. He has a 4 yr old girl and 7 yr old boy, the girl was constantly in my house begging for food,everyone kept telling me not to give in but he would spend his money on cigarettes 300 pound watches and new coats, he only ever fed em on pizza, but whilst the boy was at sch to and had school meals the little girl was at home starving until 8pm when he either cooked a pizza or a pot noodle, she would cine to me for lunch, he words were (in shouty voice to a four yr old girl) "you've had breakfast" - this at 1 pm in the afternoon, I used to take her children's centre to a group I take mine to , and used to tell him to make her lunch before I but he never bothered. Got to the point, I phoned social media services, I was in direct contact with them, and a key worker from children's centre they were trying to get him to sort it out, but he told em to stop interfeering, the girls nursery got involved in because he actu and believed it was fine to send her to nursery with........ A can of baked beans for her lunch!!

All the reports, from neighbors about the kids wandering through the high street at 9 o'clock at night, him locking them in or put the house while he went to the shop, the fact he wouldn't let her potty train till well over 4 (she was ready I took knickers to the nursery and she wore them the're fine), the fact sometimes the boy didn't go to scho and because he couldn't make be arsed to take him out same with the girl going nursery, all this (and a lot more) they have only just forced him to comply because I now it's affecting the children's development, all this I looked on as neglect ...... But it's still not enough for the authorities to do something!!

It is abuse, the child should be protected.

"There's no no excuse for a kid being obese people it is down to the parent, the kid will grow to up thinking it's ok and normal, parents should take more control of what their kids eat, one thing I'm praised on all the time is my daughter's diets, they snack on pepper cucumber tomatoes and fruit, treats for them are seafood sticks, prawns and the occasional Mac McDonalds, I cook all meals from scratch the only thing they don't eat is mushrooms, they eat every veg, and aren't fussy over food, it's up to the parent to not 'force' them to eat healthy but encourage them! That's the problem and the excuse ' I don't want to force my kid to eat something they dont want to' that and laziness in trying to encourage them more, it's easier to say have a bag of crisps rather than prepare a healthy snack, but then kids will eat a pepper like an apple or eat a whole half a cucumber.

It's not just diet it's the lack of exercise!

Too many kids spend all day in front of the tv or a play station . A lot of parents take their kids to school in the car when it's only 5 minutes down the road.

You go to shopping centres and it's escalators and lifts, what's wrong with stairs?

We have become a nation of laziness and slobs!!

As long as they are given the opportunity to do something about it first. And the only reason they are fat is they eat far too much, then yes. Many very fat people have other reasons why they are fat.

"is it right that morbidly obese kids are being removed from their parents as its seen as abuse?

As long as they are given the opportunity to do something about it first. And the only reason they are fat is they eat far too much, then yes. Many very fat people have other reasons why they are fat. "

Kids are fat because parents have failed them. Totally different to adult obesity.

There is a sad looking child at my kids school who is very obese. The child has big problems with knees and feet. Gets out of breath and sort of waddles along with difficulty. The child is only eight and I am shocked that the parents let it get to this stage. I feel really sad that she can't do the things other kids do. I don't know if anything is being done but it should be.

"is it right that morbidly obese kids are being removed from their parents as its seen as abuse?

As long as they are given the opportunity to do something about it first. And the only reason they are fat is they eat far too much, then yes. Many very fat people have other reasons why they are fat.

Kids are fat because parents have failed them. Totally different to adult obesity."

Yes you are right, and your point is?

By *he GriswaldsCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

It's a thyroid problem!

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Surely its obvious to some parents that their children are morbidly obese? Mandatory Education avenues should be pursued before children are removed.

Obesity, once it reaches a certain degree, can be classed as a disability.

Some parents don't see why they or their children should deny themselves anything. Or have to work for anything. "

The world has gone mad.

we live near two schools and cannot get in or out of our street for fat mam's dropping there fat kids off in the car most of them only live around the corner !

King's Crustacean

Haben Sie ein net like der child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?"

Ja"! Aber ich trage meinen net über meine Haare sind wie alle fett Großmutter tun würde

Kids are fat because parents have failed them. Totally different to adult obesity.

Yes you are right, and your point is?"

You said people have many reasons why they are fat, and for adults we agree, but children are only fat as a result of neglect and abuse, and the state should offer them protection. Education is key.

King's Crustacean

"is it right that morbidly obese kids are being removed from their parents as its seen as abuse? we live near two schools and cannot get in or out of our street for fat mam's dropping there fat kids off in the car most of them only live around the corner ! "

Sometimes.... a post is just too evocative for sanity .....

You said people have many reasons why they are fat, and for adults we agree, but children are only fat as a result of neglect and abuse, and the state should offer them protection. Education is key."

Right so kids cannot have thyroid problems or the load of other problems that help you put on weight. Also there are a number of medications that help you put on weight. Just eating less and exercising more is not always the answer.

Many parents are well educated is this matter and try their best for their children, often with medical help but their children still put weight on.

To say ALL fat kids are neglect and abuse just show who little you understand the subject.

For the record by best friend at school had a long standing health problem meaning he had to take pills very day at school. He used to eat a salad for his lunch every day and do his best to work out at break times, Yes he was fat.

You said people have many reasons why they are fat, and for adults we agree, but children are only fat as a result of neglect and abuse, and the state should offer them protection. Education is key.

Right so kids cannot have thyroid problems or the load of other problems that help you put on weight. Also there are a number of medications that help you put on weight. Just eating less and exercising more is not always the answer.

Many parents are well educated is this matter and try their best for their children, often with medical help but their children still put weight on.

To say ALL fat kids are neglect and abuse just show who little you understand the subject.

For the record by best friend at school had a long standing health problem meaning he had to take pills very day at school. He used to eat a salad for his lunch every day and do his best to work out at break times, Yes he was fat.

"

there will always be some medical issues (and I sympathise with your friend), so I should have said 99% of kids are fat because they are allowed to eat too much and are not encouraged to exercise enough. Poor diet, whether it be too much , too little or not enough of the right food is leading to huge issues with behaviour, learning and health problems. It is like watching a slow car crash, so the more that can be done the better, as the future implications for our nation are huge.

So let me get this right I have one child perfectly healthy and very sporty and she is a very fussy eater.

My eldest has had problems with her weight since she was 10 been back and forth to doctors tried mends and carnigie clubs which are truly fantastic but still had trouble with her weight. She also had problems with her periods finally at 14 she was diagnosed with polysistic overies and is now under the gynie team has been put on the pill and is now loosing weight after all this time.

it's not like social services are just going to go down a street and randomly pick up overweight kids and put them in a van and cart them off.

They will work with the parents first of all, deal with any underlying medical issues etc

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

poor kids....

Remove them and put them where?

I can see there is a _iew from some that letting your child get obese is not seen as fully caring for a child as it isn't and I can see intervention and re-educating the parents but aren't there kids in worse environments that should be removed first?

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

[Removed by poster at 28/02/14 16:32:51]

Depends on the situation. If the family need support regarding healthy lifestyle changes then it is likely to be harmful to remove the child from potentially loving parents whom she/he is happy with.

However, if, in spite of considerable support, the parents deliberately sabotage all efforts to ensure the child is healthy, then for the sake of the child's health it could be necessary.

And, before anyone says no parent would do that - some would and have in my experience.

there will always be some medical issues (and I sympathise with your friend), so I should have said 99% of kids are fat because they are allowed to eat too much and are not encouraged to exercise enough. Poor diet, whether it be too much , too little or not enough of the right food is leading to huge issues with behaviour, learning and health problems. It is like watching a slow car crash, so the more that can be done the better, as the future implications for our nation are huge."

It is as much an issue of malnutrition as being underfed is. Malnutrition simply means poor nutrition. If some parents KNOWINGLY feed their children badly they need intervention of some sort.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

If this has stemmed from the 10st little girl that was in the news recently then yes. She was removed once before and lost 3 stone while in care then put it all back on when returned to her parents.

If lessons aren't learnt by having your child removed once then they wont ever be learnt.

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

put all the children in a safari park with a couple of apex predators from time to time and let darwinian theory run it's course ...... hey presto problem solved for a fraction of the cost

Fat kids are useful as replacement sandbags for keeping the flood-water out.

portsmouth

"Fat kids are useful as replacement sandbags for keeping the flood-water out."
Is it wrong to laugh at this

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

"Fat kids are useful as replacement sandbags for keeping the flood-water out.Is it wrong to laugh at this "

nope

hertfordshire

when I was a kid me. my brother and sister were all skinny mainly as we were not allowed snacks . we ate properly and we were taken for walks every day even if we didn't want to

sound like a dog lol

when I left home that's when I piled it on

Unfortunately the people that believe they are educated on food and nutrition often have no idea what their food contains. People also lazily and naively think that their are restrictions put in place to protect us from the food manufacturers but food you wouldn't imagine could be bad for you is. It does make it harder for parents I suppose but there are many alternatives if you're aware. Sugar is just as bad as fats and all the other worrying stuff our food contains. Also in some supermarket chains don't assume that just because something has green labels one week that the ingredients and preservatives haven't been charged suddenly. The town I live in has one of the highest obesity communites in the uk the problem is because it upsets people to talk about it it has become the norm.

* there

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"I know someone who had all three of her children taken of her. The three year old weighed 8 stone, but they tried all different options.

No way was I going to have a fat child

"

Same here. My three daughters are all a size 8. My eldest was a 12 at her heaviest, 6 her smallest when she married.

"Unfortunately the people that believe they are educated on food and nutrition often have no idea what their food contains. People also lazily and naively think that their are restrictions put in place to protect us from the food manufacturers but food you wouldn't imagine could be bad for you is. It does make it harder for parents I suppose but there are many alternatives if you're aware. Sugar is just as bad as fats and all the other worrying stuff our food contains. Also in some supermarket chains don't assume that just because something has green labels one week that the ingredients and preservatives haven't been charged suddenly. The town I live in has one of the highest obesity communites in the uk the problem is because it upsets people to talk about it it has become the norm."

Bring back compulsory home economics in schools and teach kids about food and how to cook. I know it's convenient and cheap, but ready meals are no substitute for cooking your own and controlling what goes into your body.

hertfordshire

think we should look at food on offer even diet drinks are not good for you

a lot of parents do quick meals as they either have no time or cant be bothered

"Fat kids are useful as replacement sandbags for keeping the flood-water out."

Fat is quite buoyant really, they'd just float away. Skinny people would make better sandbags… scuba divers need lead weights to sink most of the time.

Removal of children in care should be a last resort. Not sure how you can force parents into education etc. This countries healthiest time as far as weight is concerned was during rationing. How far do we want to go down the nanny state road.

There is nothing wrong with a few treats a week but usually the cheap food is flavoured using unnatural ingredients and plenty of sugar and salt to keep things on the shelf longer. Over the Christmas period I tried a meal that I usually quite like and had to throw it away it was far too salty. I bought some chicken from the fresh section and was rather surprised they had frozen it and hadn't even tried to hide it by letting it defrost first. I'm aware there are a lot of parents who adore their children but are clueless on parenting. I was once chatting to a mum that told me how disgusted she was that her doctor had advised a diet for her child whilst we stood around biting our tongues at her morbidly obese child. She went on to say that her diet was no different from other children. I saw the child consume 3 cans of cola, 2 heavily iced cup cakes, 1 burger, 1 hotdog and a jar of sweeties whilst at a summer show.

» Add a new message to this topic