FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Belgium are first

Belgium are first

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ickmeallover OP   Woman  over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

Belgium's lower house of parliament voted on Thursday in favour of a draft law to criminalise wearing the full Islamic face veil in public, a move that could make Belgium the first country to enforce such a ban.

The bill to ban such clothing is likely to become law in June or July as the upper house, or Senate, is not expected to block it.

Or so Reuters say

Others will follow I'm sure

What are your views?

My view is this

If a women cannot wear a christian cross in a hospital and a man cannot wear a crash helmet in a fuel station, then a muslim cannot be allowed to cover up in the name of Islam

Am I am not anti Islam

I think we should all be treated fairly

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

oh god here we go again!! your off my christmas card list now i can see where this is gonna end up......

i dont have a problem with it personally, and each to their own whether it be crucifix , cross or pentagon or whatever way they want to dress xx

You obv didn't watch The Tropic of Capricorn travel series on TV when the presenter went through Saudi.

The women prefer to wear them. They're not being forced into it and they are perplexed by western attitudes to it.

The only time I think they should show their faces is in schools, at passport control and for interviews (particularly if they are applying for benefits etc).

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"Belgium's lower house of parliament voted on Thursday in favour of a draft law to criminalise wearing the full Islamic face veil in public, a move that could make Belgium the first country to enforce such a ban.

The bill to ban such clothing is likely to become law in June or July as the upper house, or Senate, is not expected to block it.

Or so Reuters say

Others will follow I'm sure

What are your views?

My view is this

If a women cannot wear a christian cross in a hospital and a man cannot wear a crash helmet in a fuel station, then a muslim cannot be allowed to cover up in the name of Islam

Am I am not anti Islam

I think we should all be treated fairly"

Unfortunately as France discovered in their High Court this ban will not get past the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union.

Like it or not this is a fact, and Belgium will in all likelyhood not pass this into law as it has only been passed through their lower house of Parliament. Just as happened in France, before the French Supreme Court reminded Sarkozy of his commitment to the Charter which he freely signed in Lisbon.

Its not a question about them being forced to wear them or not

A christian nurse was forced to remover her cross or resign

Men on motorbikes are forced to remove their headwear in shops, and banks

Why should our laws be changed to suit their muslim faith?

Which I dont have a problem with just asking why

that over the woman with the cross was terrible and should never have been allowed to happen!! xx

Torquay

[Removed by poster at 29/04/10 20:01:50]

Because over time Muslim activists have belligerently pursued anything they perceive as an act of bigotry against their faith and successive governments have caved in to such pressure until we have reached the point we're now in where local councils can't fart if they've eaten a bacon sandwich for fear of upsetting some fookin Muslim who happens to be walking past at the time.

Torquay

Sorry but the veil is not a sign of Islam faith in the same way as the Crucifix is a sign of Chritian faith, this was proven locally to me in Exeter recently when the nursing sister tried to force the Royal Devon and Exeter hospital into allowing wearing of her crucifix outside of her nursing tunic.

She wasn't happy to wear it under her tunic (which was permitted) and insisted on wearing it on top, she knew she would be refused not on the grounds of religion but on hospital hygiene rules.

So to be honest she was trying to make a religious point out of a health department regulation, which was bound to fail.

Anyway as I first pointed out the veil is not a religious symbol...

my friend is muslim and i eat ham in front of him he doesnt complain he accepts it ( tellin a fat chick she cant have ham sandwich would not be good for his health!!)

we are in serious danger of causing more problems by being too pc as its creating massive divides there has got to be a happy medium somewhere surely??

maybe im just too much for live and let live at times xx

its not its religious symbolism I object to

I think that if its for a woman to wear a veil into a bank and a man be forced to take off his helmet to prove his idendity, well its hardly fair

Her religeon or why she chooses to wear it isn't an issue

Its for all to be treated the same really

I am not the only one that find burkas more than a little threatening

and if you look to our soldiers fighting, many have been blown up by someone wearing one to conceal bombs

A women showing a cross wont be strapping it to a bomb thats for sure not if its in full view

Torquay

Having worked in hospital pharmacy departments in the recent past where there are a large number of Muslims working, I can honestly say that I never have witnessed a 'Daily Mail' dreamt up ban on bacon sandwiches in canteens.

These 'stories' just don't hold water.

my view is this........let belgium do as they please cos whatever draft law they have created to criminalise wearing a certain item of clothing does not bother me in the slightest

I was being sarcastic about the bacon sandwich lol

Torquay

"I was being sarcastic about the bacon sandwich lol "

It was a good point though Wishy, papers like the Mail and Express often carry 'stories' that exaggerate negative points about Islam.

Like the one the Mail started about teachers not being permitted to use blackboards anymore as they might offend black people, it was utter tripe.

My local primary school still uses blackboards instead of wipe boards even though the Mail carried the story in 2008 that they were to be banned.

I hope the law is passed

try to build a christian church in a muslim country

Its not fair how their faith grants them favours in certain circumtances

I dont read the Mail

But I dont think its fair nonetheless

i read the daily mail today someone left it lyin when i was in cafe.....

did make me chuckle some of the tripe in it but can see how it would make people feel like they gonna get up some mornin and the britishness will be outlawed!!

i really dont think about whether i would offend him or not he is my friend i accept him he accepts me and our differences xx

Torquay

"I hope the law is passed

"

There are many Christian churches in Muslim nations.......sorry to sound so petty but it is true.

ones that have been there for centuries

not new ones

There are many Christian churches in Muslim nations.......sorry to sound so petty but it is true."

Torquay

ones that have been there for centuries

not new ones

There are many Christian churches in Muslim nations.......sorry to sound so petty but it is true."

Sorry but again not true, we were in Morocco in 2007 and saw an enormous church (christian) being built.

Islamic nations do not ban Christians celebrating christ in churches, they do however frown upon Christian missionaries attempting to preach religious conversion from Islam to Christianity.

dont think they would require to build many new christian churches in muslim countries as overall christianity is a shrinking faith.............whereas the islam and muslim faith is on the up

Torquay

Dead true and the Church of England are rapidly closing churches in England and Wales as congregations are fast drying up.

There are more Christian churches being built in Muslim countries than there are in England, it's a funny old world

"

i really dont think about whether i would offend him or not he is my friend i accept him he accepts me and our differences xx"

That is the crucial bit really, isnt it?

» Add a new message to this topic