FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Speed camera

Speed camera

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

5 months ago I was driving at 60 mph along the M62 towards Liverpool at 04:30 on a foggy sunday morning.

The signs had no lighting so I didn't see the 50 mph signs then of course came the flashes.

Now me being like I am thinks that no one should be fined under these conditions. If the signs was lit then I would have seen them.

But what needles me most is the cost they must go through. I have had 5 letters of one sort or another and I wrote back to each one telling them I want a court hearing.

I could go on but I just wondered if anyone had the same thing happen.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple  over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

dont worry they will recoup all their costs with the higher fine you get going to court

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

60 miles an hour in the fog that's so bad you can't see the sign?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I want to be in the Public gallery when you state your defence

Just pay up, 60mph, fog, dark. Frankly you deserve it.

If the fog was so bad that you couldn't see a road sign then you most certainly shouldn't have been doing 60mph or even 50mph for that matter. It's people that don't adapt their driving to the weather/road conditions that are the first to moan when they get caught and are usually the ones that cause accidents.

You have no reasonable defense, pay the fine and take the points.

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

"If the fog was so bad that you couldn't see a road sign then you most certainly shouldn't have been doing 60mph or even 50mph for that matter. It's people that don't adapt their driving to the weather/road conditions that are the first to moan when they get caught and are usually the ones that cause accidents.

You have no reasonable defense, pay the fine and take the points."

If the fog was that bad that you couldn't see the signs then I would suggest that your speed of 60mph (a very exact figure!) was too fast for the weather and road conditions. It sounds to me that you got off very lightly and you should have sucked it up, done the course or paid the lower fine. You're lucky to not have been in/caused a serious accident!

Ruby

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

dont think youre gonna win this one !

"If the fog was that bad that you couldn't see the signs then I would suggest that your speed of 60mph (a very exact figure!) was too fast for the weather and road conditions. It sounds to me that you got off very lightly and you should have sucked it up, done the course or paid the lower fine. You're lucky to not have been in/caused a serious accident!

Ruby"

Errrrrrr ..........what the fine young lady said. Nuff said really.

By *bony in IvoryCouple  over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

If you couldn't see the signs ... How did the camera see your number plate?

Yes I have I got a letter about speeding from a old company car I used to drive. I had left the company over a year before. I filled the forum in say I was not the driver or keep of the car from this date. I sent them copies of the company paper work say I had had the car back in good condition on this date and was no long the keep or driver of it. Two month later I got the same letter back you been speeding. So I did the same thing say I sent in all in before. Six week later same letter so I sent a letter back asking to go to court. lol got the same letter back did the same back at them. That was it never did got to court or hear anything more about.

I think the letters are not read by a person at all but a computer. Not until it is time to go to court, does a person read it. Never call them about it as you cannot prove what was said.

I had the same for a parking fine as well.

By *couseratMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Bit reckless to be doing that fast in fog if you can't see roads signs, I had something sort of similar. I owned up to the speeding and went to court, still got the 5 points and got £180 fine.

No sympathy here driving at 60 in fog so thick you couldn't see a road sign.You are clearly guilty!!

By *picyspiregirlCouple  over a year ago

chesterfield

Have you had confirmation that the signs were lit?

"No sympathy here driving at 60 in fog so thick you couldn't see a road sign.You are clearly guilty!!"

Yes i am guilty.

I think most if the post on here are assuming I was driving to fast, maybe I was but I could see far enough in front to stop if something was there.

However the unlit signs are at the side of the carriage way not in front.

Anyway I only wanted to know if anyone had the same

If your driving so fast you can't see the road signs then you are driving too fast for the prevailing conditions

People seem to think it's a speed "target". It's not, it's a speed limit that is considered safe in perfect conditions

Speed cameras have this in built safety feature that a lot of people don't know about. They only take your picture if you are breaking the law.

"No sympathy here driving at 60 in fog so thick you couldn't see a road sign.You are clearly guilty!!

Yes i am guilty.

I think most if the post on here are assuming I was driving to fast, maybe I was but I could see far enough in front to stop if something was there.

Anyway I only wanted to know if anyone had the same "

Not assuming you were driving to fast,you said you were doing 60 and the signs said 50!

"Have you had confirmation that the signs were lit?"
the lights are off till 5 am and I'm not even sure there is any on those signs. I will go back and take pics for court.

By *picyspiregirlCouple  over a year ago

chesterfield

"Have you had confirmation that the signs were lit? the lights are off till 5 am and I'm not even sure there is any on those signs. I will go back and take pics for court. "

So no confirmation that the signs were lit?

"No sympathy here driving at 60 in fog so thick you couldn't see a road sign.You are clearly guilty!!

Yes i am guilty.

Not assuming you were driving to fast,you said you were doing 60 and the signs said 50!"

I thought I was still in a 70 zone. (motorway) I do over 50000 miles a year and had a clean licence for over 25 years. That's what I find a little unfair. I'm not a speed freak by any means

"Have you had confirmation that the signs were lit? the lights are off till 5 am and I'm not even sure there is any on those signs. I will go back and take pics for court.

So no confirmation that the signs were lit?"

no

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Shimmers in with a flyer advertising FORUM INSURANCE and then sidles back out to see if the oven has warmed up yet.

"If the fog was that bad that you couldn't see the signs then I would suggest that your speed of 60mph (a very exact figure!) was too fast for the weather and road conditions. It sounds to me that you got off very lightly and you should have sucked it up, done the course or paid the lower fine. You're lucky to not have been in/caused a serious accident!

No luck involved I could still see far enough in front of me to stop if there was something

Ruby"

"If the fog was so bad that you couldn't see a road sign then you most certainly shouldn't have been doing 60mph or even 50mph for that matter. It's people that don't adapt their driving to the weather/road conditions that are the first to moan when they get caught and are usually the ones that cause accidents.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

suck it up.....

You think you could have stopped in time??? Run into the back of another vehicle at 60---your dead, and whats worse youll probably kill or seriously injure someone else. Get it paid, accept you were wrong and drive responsibly.

Yes i am guilty.

Not assuming you were driving to fast,you said you were doing 60 and the signs said 50!

I thought I was still in a 70 zone. (motorway) I do over 50000 miles a year and had a clean licence for over 25 years. That's what I find a little unfair. I'm not a speed freak by any means "

Hang on. Motorways don't normally have signs with the speed limit unless you're in an average speed controlled area, usually due to roadworks and those are normally lit with flood lights.

Also, headlights have what's called a spread beam pattern, they, by law, have to illuminate to the side as well as the front (this is part of the MOT test). Any other speed restrictions on the motorway would have been on the illuminated overhead signs.

So, you were either speeding through roadworks, driving a car with incorrectly adjusted lights, not paying attention or any number of inconsiderate things.

I still don't think you have any defense, in fact you deserve everything you get!

I've just checked and there are roadworks being carried out on the M62 to replace the central reservation, all work being carried out is between the hours of 8pm and 5am where there is a variable speed limit in place. You say your ticket was at 04:30ish....

"Just pay up, 60mph, fog, dark. Frankly you deserve it."

agreed idiotic driving like that causes deaths how stupid can you get.

No luck involved I could still see far enough in front of me to stop if there was something

"

You couldn't see the signs, yet you could see far enough in front... Hmmmm I'm not sure what's more disturbing here, your lack of awareness for the road conditions or the fact you've used tax payers money to take this further rather than accepting you made an error.

If there is a speed limit in place other than the National Speed Limit then there would be signs with a circle around them, they would not be flashing. If it were through road works there are plenty of signs indicating average speed checks and those cameras don't flash (I drive through the M1 roadworks twice a week which is 20 miles at 50mph)

Ruby

I have seen 3 bad accidents in fog it makes common sense not to go at 60 if you ca't see the signs how can you see the car in front of you.

If your driving that many miles, then I imagine that your on the M62 a lot, and you should know that the road works and 50 Limits have been there for many years in different places. spo you were speeding through road works, if you did not see the signs, surely you would have seen the cones!

The visibility couldn't have been that bad if the camera could read your reg thru the fog ?

If it wasn't that bad then you could have seen the signs.

Isn't one of the first things we learn as a driver to look around us and not just straight ahead ?

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

Don't worry, it's only a speeding fine you should see the abuse they give cyclists on here...lol

Think your waiting your time and money taking it further.....!

You have no reasonable defense, pay the fine and take the points.

Think your waiting your time and money taking it further.....!"

Oops ! waisting

Do they fine people for being twats

Driving so fast in the fog .......

Lucky you got a speeding ticket and not a memorial notice

"Don't worry, it's only a speeding fine you should see the abuse they give cyclists on here...lol"
I see a lot worse like the car that overtook me 3 mins earlier and people on mobiles

"Do they fine people for being twats

Lucky you got a speeding ticket and not a memorial notice "

The Highway Code states.

Leave a distance you can stop in. I did.

I just didn't see the unlit sign

By *rinking-in-laCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

"Don't worry, it's only a speeding fine you should see the abuse they give cyclists on here...lol I see a lot worse like the car that overtook me 3 mins earlier and people on mobiles "

Worse is a matter of opinion and your opinion is obviously skewed towards you being innocent despite breaking the law.

How do you know you were leaving enough space in front? If it was less than the distance to the side of the road I suggest it was not enough space.

The simple fact is this: if you drive faster than the speed limit, you are breaking the law and if you get caught you deserve to be punished.

I once got caught doing 89 on an empty lit motorway at 2am. It was not especially dangerous given there was no one to drive into, but there was a police car who saw me and recorded my speed so I was pulled over and done for speeding. I deserved it. I don't know better than those who assess the roads and their suitability for speed. Either do you.

"The visibility couldn't have been that bad if the camera could read your reg thru the fog ?

Isn't one of the first things we learn as a driver to look around us and not just straight ahead ?

"

your right. But as a driver you will know that fog creates tunnel vision and if the signs were lit it would have drawn my attention to them.

By *rinking-in-laCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

"The visibility couldn't have been that bad if the camera could read your reg thru the fog ?

your right. But as a driver you will know that fog creates tunnel vision and if the signs were lit it would have drawn my attention to them. "

No that is a bollocks excuse. If you could not see the side of the road, you should not be doing 60. Stop looking for other people to blame. Your headlights should have lit the sign correctly. If you are not capable of looking around you when it is foggy then you must slow down or stop.

your right. But as a driver you will know that fog creates tunnel vision and if the signs were lit it would have drawn my attention to them. "

And if fog creates tunnel vision then you shouldn't have been doing 60 should you!

As a driver I know to adjust my driving to the prevailing weather and light conditions and being more aware of my surroundings. What you claim to be tunnel vision is actually just Piss poor driving and lack of awareness.

Read the highway code again, it states quite clearly that you need to slow down and exercise extreme caution in the fog at night.

You're never going to get away with it so man up and take the fine and points. Call it a learning experience.

"Do they fine people for being twats

Lucky you got a speeding ticket and not a memorial notice "

As someone who lives very close to this speed camera and goes through there most days i think you deserve it. There is a forest of 50 signs approaching that camera.

There is a small stretch beforehand where the street lighting is switched off but not at the point you state. Oh and yes, I do pass through that area at that time of the morning.

By *odareyouMan  over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

Reading your posts op your defence when you stand in front of the magistrates is , I accept I was speeding (60 in a 50 zone,) however the sign informing you of the speed limit wasn t illuminated and your headlights couldn t illuminate it as it was too foggy,

good luck with that one,

Titz Towers, North Notts

Comes in with free tin hat for the OP, courtesy of the staff at FORUM INSURANCE

"Comes in with free tin hat for the OP, courtesy of the staff at FORUM INSURANCE "

Madam you are too kind....

Would you happen to have a pair of glasses as well the OP appears to be having trouble seeing properly

"Comes in with free tin hat for the OP, courtesy of the staff at FORUM INSURANCE "

To put it bluntly. You've shit it !!

Titz Towers, North Notts

"Comes in with free tin hat for the OP, courtesy of the staff at FORUM INSURANCE

Would you happen to have a pair of glasses as well the OP appears to be having trouble seeing properly "

We've been in touch with Stevie Wonder, but he says he can't see his way to donating any spare pairs.

"Comes in with free tin hat for the OP, courtesy of the staff at FORUM INSURANCE

Would you happen to have a pair of glasses as well the OP appears to be having trouble seeing properly

We've been in touch with Stevie Wonder, but he says he can't see his way to donating any spare pairs. "

funny you should mention glasses I've broke mine.

"To put it bluntly. You've shit it !!"

Don't be to sure.

A safety camera is only a safety camera if you can see it.

The fog only goes against me if I didn't leave the right distance and the pictures will show I did.

I knew the critics wouldn't let me down.

I now know what to expect in court.

Thank you.

Were you travelling with or against the rotation of the earth you could have been doing -978 mph if you play your cards right ! Stuff that one to the judge see how he likes them apples lol

On the other hand 1098 ouch may be a few points

"I knew the critics wouldn't let me down.

I now know what to expect in court.

Thank you.

"

Well if you can't see the signs due to speed not slowing down would have been moat peoples thoughts.

In court if you go in thinking you were still right you are likely to get the full force so go in Indiana Jones Harrison Ford style..bowed head in the manner of a humble man.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"To put it bluntly. You've shit it !!

Don't be to sure.

A safety camera is only a safety camera if you can see it.

The fog only goes against me if I didn't leave the right distance and the pictures will show I did.

"

How will speed camera pictures show what was in front of you and how far away it was?

If you are seriously going to try to argue that the camera wasn't there legitimately because you couldn't see it, I think you're in for a bad day in court.

I'm inclined to agree that 60mph sounds rather fast in the dark, in fog. Too fast? I wasn't there but from what you've said, it sounds like it.

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Your on a hiding to nothing mate go to court with the defence your saying here an you'll loose its no defence. But there is a way round it for fear of getting lynched I'll not post it here but feel free to mail me but you'll owe me a pint at least

By *couseratMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"Don't worry, it's only a speeding fine you should see the abuse they give cyclists on here...lol"

It is nice for it not to be us cyclists for once. LoL

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

"Don't worry, it's only a speeding fine you should see the abuse they give cyclists on here...lol

It is nice for it not to be us cyclists for once. LoL"

Shut it ya maniac lmao

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple  over a year ago

Manchester Area

Ok so you drive up to 50000 miles a year, therefore it should be expected that you have a very good knowledge of the motorway / dual carriageway network and know where the speed cams are..... and if this is the camera on the M62 heading towards Liverpool (which is the only fixed speed camera on the whole of the M62 - not counting the variable speed ones on the managed motorway section) then you dont have any defence.... so just suck it up and pay up

Fuck all these mate go contest it if you think you've got a case, if you've had a clean licence 25 years you will probably walk away with just a fine if you protest your innocence, I went to court at 22 just got my licence back after being revoked for points already had 6 Points on mine was in against 2 police on my own never took a solicitor and judge waved the points an give me a fine ended up about an extra 50 quid out of pocket from what id of paid on my fine but it definitely saved me on insurance

» Add a new message to this topic