FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Mental Health. Hands Up???

Mental Health. Hands Up???

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hello.

There is a lot of positive awareness surrounding mental health issues these days, but I'm just wondering how genuine the 'man / woman on the street' really feels about / _iews someone with any such issue, whether it be depression, bipolar, BPD, anxiety, addiction, schizophrenia, Aspergers, autism etc. etc.

I have borderline personality disorder and have just been called weird by a fellow fabster after weeks of contact. Water off a ducks back to me and a lucky escape, but it's got me wondering what other people REALLY think. Don't be shy.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

have a great deal of sympathy for anyone suffering with such issues ..i always think .. there but for the grace of god ....

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

all mental illnesses are very distressing for everyone .... affects everyone

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"have a great deal of sympathy for anyone suffering with such issues ..i always think .. there but for the grace of god ...."

But I would add that the level of sharing public information on here concerns me. People can prey on other's vulnerabilities and they do.

Best to be mindful what, when you share and with who.

all the best

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My Brother suffered a full on breakdown.And was told he was clinically depressed and was on all sorts of pills and potions. We also had a couple of suicide attempts as well, one of them i had the police breaking down his front door as i could not get into his flat to check on him as we had had a call for help text.

I found the mental health side of the NHS to be shocking in the area that we live. There is very little help available and what there is does not seem to be ongoing(the attitude seems to be ok 2 weeks later your fine now off you go)I do not blame the people doing the job of helping but the NHS trust for not putting more money into it.

Despite the amount of publicity it seems to get these days(still not enough in my opinion)there is still a stigma attached to mental health, and a lot of people still have the 'for gods sake pull yourself together'attitude towards it.

It is not right but that is a lot of societies attitude to it. I think you need to have first hand experience of it to truly understand it, but those who haven't need to have a little more sympathy for those who suffer it...

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

Dont know anyone with mental health issues (that im aware of)...

Its all down to personal experience...

Im guessing some have had bad experiences with such issues and sadly those are the ones they remember above all..

"have a great deal of sympathy for anyone suffering with such issues ..i always think .. there but for the grace of god ....

But I would add that the level of sharing public information on here concerns me. People can prey on other's vulnerabilities and they

all the best"

I may have a certain condition, but I'm not stupid (as far as I'm aware)!!! If anything, it makes me more cautious than an 'ordinary' person.

"My Brother suffered a full on breakdown.And was told he was clinically depressed and was on all sorts of pills and potions. We also had a couple of suicide attempts as well, one of them i had the police breaking down his front door as i could not get into his flat to check on him as we had had a call for help text.

I found the mental health side of the NHS to be shocking in the area that we live. There is very little help available and what there is does not seem to be ongoing(the attitude seems to be ok 2 weeks later your fine now off you go)I do not blame the people doing the job of helping but the NHS trust for not putting more money into it.

Despite the amount of publicity it seems to get these days(still not enough in my opinion)there is still a stigma attached to mental health, and a lot of people still have the 'for gods sake pull yourself together'attitude towards it.

It is not right but that is a lot of societies attitude to it. I think you need to have first hand experience of it to truly understand it, but those who haven't need to have a little more sympathy for those who suffer it...

"

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"have a great deal of sympathy for anyone suffering with such issues ..i always think .. there but for the grace of god ....

But I would add that the level of sharing public information on here concerns me. People can prey on other's vulnerabilities and they

all the best

I may have a certain condition, but I'm not stupid (as far as I'm aware)!!! If anything, it makes me more cautious than an 'ordinary' person."

my answer was in general terms and didnt think for a second you were stupid.

all the best

I may have a certain condition, but I'm not stupid (as far as I'm aware)!!! If anything, it makes me more cautious than an 'ordinary' person.

my answer was in general terms and didnt think for a second you were stupid.

"

Good x

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Ive removed posts and can I ask that people keep old grumbles off what I think is a serious important thread.

this is my job - i deal with people with depression, paranoia, through to schizophrenia and many forms of dementia - its mostly all copable with just needs more understanding x S

Everybody has mental health problems - as long as there are counsellors and therapists getting paid good money to diagnose and treat those problems.

"Everybody has mental health problems - as long as there are counsellors and therapists getting paid good money to diagnose and treat those problems."

Oh dear...

"Everybody has mental health problems - as long as there are counsellors and therapists getting paid good money to diagnose and treat those problems."

if only .... i see it at home level trying to keep people in their own homes and living a 'normal' (hate to use that word) life

By *tarbeckCouple  over a year ago

york

i was house bound for nearly ten years scared to go out does that make me nuts

Best to keep it to yourself people on here don't need to know

It's not that I'm shy or ashamed. I'm just used to experiencing so many prejudgmental, shallow wankers. Something I don't think I've experienced or will experience here. Always a good thing.

"Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there".

Asperger's Syndrome (diagnosed at 5) and Clinical Depression since I was 15. It's an ongoing struggle but I just get on with it and chances to talk about like this hopefully give insight.

By *oxic1998Woman  over a year ago

Belfast

"My Brother suffered a full on breakdown.And was told he was clinically depressed and was on all sorts of pills and potions. We also had a couple of suicide attempts as well, one of them i had the police breaking down his front door as i could not get into his flat to check on him as we had had a call for help text.

"

Couldn't agree more. Needs more funding. I have a few friends that have experience's with mental health services and is actually quite shocking whats available

I have mild anxiety, NHS is crap so I manage it myself.

It was also mentioned to me by a health advisor that I probably have an eating disorder or at the very least have an issue causing my erratic eating habits and paranoia over eating in front of people....my doctor shrugged that off too, just told me to eat less fat etc I DON'T EAT AT ALL FOR DAYS AT A TIME.

york

should add house bound after being mugged

My ex wife is bi polar

She did unmentionable things to our Daugther and has been in and out of hospital.

Our 10 year old will not see her as she had witnessed far to much for her age. The experts want her to be in contact but I think any bond has been broken.

It's been going on for years with cafcass (who upset her) and all the vists from them end up with her not wanting to go to school and such.

I want it all to end !

"Best to keep it to yourself people on here don't need to know "

Why??? It's as much as part of life / choice / sex as anything else!

"i was house bound for nearly ten years scared to go out does that make me nuts "

No, it does not.

"

I have borderline personality disorder "

oh yeah bro!

Mine is not borderline though..

It's gone over the border dude!

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

all the best dingle dangle ...hope you, your daughter and your ex wife eventually all find peace !

"

I have borderline personality disorder

oh yeah bro!

Mine is not borderline though..

It's gone over the border dude! "

Sorry???

On a serious note, I don't have these issues and I'm sympathetic to anyone who has (as long as you don't try and hit me with a hammer)..why would you share this here?

Makes no sense to me.

Somethings should be private (bearing in mind this is THE most judgmental forum on the planet. (tongue in cheek)

$0.02

"Everybody has mental health problems - as long as there are counsellors and therapists getting paid good money to diagnose and treat those problems.

Oh dear..."

Why "Oh dear"? My point is, that at the lower end of the scale of the individual problem, the defining lines between "has a mental health problem" and "doesn't have a mental health problem" can be very blurred, and are often down to an individual's definition rather than clinical or empirical evidence.

Since we are only on fab for nsa sex , any mental condition which may add strings is a good reason to not want to meet .

Away from fab we have no issues at all .

I've seen people start threads on here sharing that they have cancer, undergoing treatment or have the all clear. I don't remember anyone saying best keep it to yourself!

There's still so much stigma around mental health

york

People with genuine issues deserve support and consideration.

However I think there is a lot of over diagnosis and a lot more self diagnosis.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"I've seen people start threads on here sharing that they have cancer, undergoing treatment or have the all clear. I don't remember anyone saying best keep it to yourself!

There's still so much stigma around mental health "

my comment was not exclusive to mental health. it is only my opinion that people can share way too much information and that can be used against them.

"I've seen people start threads on here sharing that they have cancer, undergoing treatment or have the all clear. I don't remember anyone saying best keep it to yourself!

There's still so much stigma around mental health "

I suffered with depression for many years growing up. when i lost my mum 10 years ago, i had a break down. im not telling people about this for sympathy, im writing this to emphasise the importance of sharing. too many people feel ashamed to admit they have or have suffered with mental health issues, it needs to change. we can accept people having flu or other physical issues, why cant we accept illness of the mind too?

After years of different pills, i finally took control and asked my doctor for counselling. i waited 18 months for help! I am lucky, i had the sense to realise that pills alone do not help. i was angry at the system, i felt it had failed me. infact i feel so strongly about the importance of awareness, that i am currently studying to become a mental health nurse. to all of you who feel like i did, isolated, alone, scared, confused, and suicidal, know that you are not alone, and it will get better. Xx

my comment was not exclusive to mental health. it is only my opinion that people can share way too much information and that can be used against them.

"

giving too much away about yourself can leave you vulnerable but if youre confident enough to share something important up to the individual

"Best to keep it to yourself people on here don't need to know

Why??? It's as much as part of life / choice / sex as anything else! "

Wouldn't tell if I had a physical problem so why would I tell about a mental one ?

No ones blooming business

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

giving too much away about yourself can leave you vulnerable but if youre confident enough to share something important up to the individual "

of course, it is always down to the individual

"

I personally think a lot more things should be shared. People on here are putting themselves in maybe vulnerable situations with others, it could be best to know.

"

Indeed .... and that's the point we made too .

"On a serious note, I don't have these issues and I'm sympathetic to anyone who has (as long as you don't try and hit me with a hammer)..why would you share this here?

Makes no sense to me.

Somethings should be private (bearing in mind this is THE most judgmental forum on the planet. (tongue in cheek)

$0.02"

This is what I was trying to say

"Best to keep it to yourself people on here don't need to know "

agreed.

Wouldn't tell if I had a physical problem so why would I tell about a mental one ?

"

Telling someone about a mental health problem is very often the first step on the road to recovery.

Telling someone about a mental health problem is very often the first step on the road to recovery."

But why in a swingers site ?

"On a serious note, I don't have these issues and I'm sympathetic to anyone who has (as long as you don't try and hit me with a hammer)..why would you share this here?

Makes no sense to me.

$0.02"

Ben !! because with acceptance comes understanding

Telling someone about a mental health problem is very often the first step on the road to recovery.

But why in a swingers site ? "

The best advice in the world can come from the oddest sources.

By *ickawitchCouple  over a year ago

Away with the fairies (Liverpool to you)

I have Aspergers as a family we do not see it as a disability.

I have a very supportive network of friends and family who accept me completely and embrace all my quirks and routines.

Growing up there was a distinct lack of understanding and doctors spent many years arguing about diagnosis. Going through a whole range of different mental health diagnosis.

Finally getting a Aspergers diagnosis was a relief to my family but I was oblivious in my own little world.

Meeting my husband changed my life, instead of being told what I can't do he told me I can do whatever I want to. I have a job, friends and a future

No ones blooming business.

Same could be said for any other subject mentioned in The Lounge section.

"I have Aspergers as a family we do not see it as a disability.

I have a very supportive network of friends and family who accept me completely and embrace all my quirks and routines.

Growing up there was a distinct lack of understanding and doctors spent many years arguing about diagnosis. Going through a whole range of different mental health diagnosis.

Finally getting a Aspergers diagnosis was a relief to my family but I was oblivious in my own little world.

Meeting my husband changed my life, instead of being told what I can't do he told me I can do whatever I want to. I have a job, friends and a future "

Exactly!!!

york

Are we not a 'friendly' community of sorts!

By *ickawitchCouple  over a year ago

Away with the fairies (Liverpool to you)

It took a long time but with support you can do it

I have respect for those who have been honest with me about any mental health issues that they have or have had in the past.

It's those who act like narcissistic idiots and go weird on me that bother me. If you have a problem, tell me, I can then deal with it and understand if I am not told then I'll just think you're a prick.

Obviously one off meets it doesn't apply to but I am looking for regulars and the social side is important to me so I appreciate honesty.

Are we not a 'friendly' community of sorts! "

Just think best keep certain things to yourself

Simple really

because some of use the site for many things - not just getting some sexy fun

because some of use the site for many things - not just getting some sexy fun "

If you need support with a mental illness I would suggest fab swingers is not the ideal place

I'm not sure anyone was asking for support to be fair.

If you need support with a mental illness I would suggest fab swingers is not the ideal place "

probabaly not the only place they seeking help -

because some of use the site for many things - not just getting some sexy fun "

And some don't... We certainly don't want to know about this illness or that one .... We are here for fun

Simple really

"

fair enough, but I hope if you had a physical problem you could feel we could offer you support if that was what you wanted at that time, as with the world over, everyone is different, some hold their cards to their chests others are touchy feely.... me I love a touch and a feel

"I'm not sure anyone was asking for support to be fair. "

Indeed. No support asked for, just a simple debate such as any other random subject that is brought up here in The Lounge.

"And some don't... We certainly don't want to know about this illness or that one .... We are here for fun "

Then you have the luxury of _iewing another thread.

Simple really

fair enough, but I hope if you had a physical problem you could feel we could offer you support if that was what you wanted at that time, as with the world over, everyone is different, some hold their cards to their chests others are touchy feely.... me I love a touch and a feel "

You want to feel my chest lol

"I'm not sure anyone was asking for support to be fair.

Indeed. No support asked for, just a simple debate such as any other random subject that is brought up here in The Lounge. "

Lol FFs

Soneone mentioned people be looking for support.

You don't like a reply on a public forum then don't post pmsl

No one is forced to read any thread. Some people just love the sound of their own voice if you ask me

york

"And some don't... We certainly don't want to know about this illness or that one .... We are here for fun

Then you have the luxury of _iewing another thread. "

hertfordshire

three problems

people are scared of mental illness

too many doctors think pills are the answer

not enough places to go to

I think OP was inspired by the forum topic about raising awareness for Autism.

I guess it depends. In my honest opinion, the stigma attached to mental health does impede on all walks of life, regardless of where the subject is discussed.

I've been on a Mental Health forum and still experienced the judgmental and shallow. It's most cases the personality.

Simple as this. If you're nice, you're nice. If you're a cunt, you're a cunt. No mental health or disability (physical or otherwise) of any kind truly dictates who you are. I'm aware borderline personality disorder might not fit this opinion of mine, but still.

If people will now avoid me like the plague for opening up on a topic I've had to endure, then so be it.

End of rant.

Simple really

fair enough, but I hope if you had a physical problem you could feel we could offer you support if that was what you wanted at that time, as with the world over, everyone is different, some hold their cards to their chests others are touchy feely.... me I love a touch and a feel

You want to feel my chest lol "

Are you offering your chesticles to me?

And some don't... We certainly don't want to know about this illness or that one .... We are here for fun "

then don't read or comment on the thread if you don't want to know about it.

a variety of topics are covered in the lounge & if someone's experience who wants to share can help others then I think it's a good thing.

Simple really

Are you offering your chesticles to me? "

Maybe ha ha

hertfordshire

what I love about this forum is the fact that not many topics that are not spoken about

its good to talk and mental awareness needs to be raised for people to understand it

yes it is a sex site but hearing about other peoples issue sure can help

"Simple as this. If you're nice, you're nice. If you're a cunt, you're a cunt. No mental health or disability (physical or otherwise) of any kind truly dictates who you are. I'm aware borderline personality disorder might not fit this opinion of mine, but still.

"

Don't know how accurate that is and presumably we're all influenced by all sorts of things... but I tend to agree with the sentiment.

I sincerely hope that you never have a first hand experience in realising how ill informed that post is.

Simple really

Are you offering your chesticles to me?

Maybe ha ha "

"Everybody has mental health problems - as long as there are counsellors and therapists getting paid good money to diagnose and treat those problems.

I sincerely hope that you never have a first hand experience in realising how ill informed that post is. "

I have, on both sides. Perhaps you should read my follow up posts before casting an ill-informed judgement.

"Don't know how accurate that is and presumably we're all influenced by all sorts of things... but I tend to agree with the sentiment."

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

It's mainly aimed at the likes of my father. Who rides the coattails of his Epilepsy so he can scrounge benefits. Different disability I know.

It was self-inflicted and yes it deteriorates him, but it's not to the point of bed-ridden. He could've easily got a job whilst living with us before the divorce, and he's suffered with it for almost 30 years.

Indeed. No support asked for, just a simple debate such as any other random subject that is brought up here in The Lounge.

Lol FFs

You don't like a reply on a public forum then don't post pmsl "

You are showing yourself up to be a very aggressive and negative person TNA. If this thread doesn't sit well with you then maybe you should move onto another subject

york

[Removed by poster at 31/03/14 17:49:12]

Why??? It's as much as part of life / choice / sex as anything else! "

people often post about physical health issues on here and are met with universal support and sympathy, mention mental health and it's a huge taboo to some that should be ignored... Hate the stigma and prejudice it evokes.

york

mine wasnt self inficted and i dont scongue

"And some don't... We certainly don't want to know about this illness or that one .... We are here for fun

Then you have the luxury of _iewing another thread. "

Indeed we have , but the op did ask after all

people often post about physical health issues on here and are met with universal support and sympathy, mention mental health and it's a huge taboo to some that should be ignored... Hate the stigma and prejudice it evokes."

Thank you CW's

"mine wasnt self inficted and i dont scongue "

Good A shame my father doesn't have the same attitude as you.

Lol FFs

You are showing yourself up to be a very aggressive and negative person TNA. If this thread doesn't sit well with you then maybe you should move onto another subject "

Perhaps it's my mental illness .........

I sincerely hope that you never have a first hand experience in realising how ill informed that post is.

I have, on both sides. Perhaps you should read my follow up posts before casting an ill-informed judgement."

Sorry but I'm not going to sink in to an argument about this, enough people are derailing what could have been an excellent thread. But there was no ambiguity in the post I quoted.

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

Makes no sense to me.

$0.02"

I respect your opinion, but disagree with this _iew.

I like going into the lounge because it shows that forum members are real people, with real lives and are very, very human. Mental health is a part of this.

I've posted on a sports website for years-the regulars on each other tear each other to shreds discussing issues relating to the sport in question. There is another forum on the site for discussing pretty much anything.

About five years ago someone started a thread on depression - it's still going to this day and it's extraordinary to hear these same tough, argumentative guys and girls disclosing their fears, worries and mental health struggles. It really is an amazing resource and, as someone who lives with pretty full-on anxiety, it's a great source of information and support. I know it's helped others immensely too - including great, hulking 6ft 6in guys who love smashing anything that moves on a rugby pitch.

It's really a revelation reading it and if something like that were to germinate on Fab, it could become a really helpful repository of information.

It is relevant to the central purpose of this site - mind affects mood and performance, as can medications (something I've experienced). I met a nice lady a couple of weeks ago and we discussed this freely. I'm not sure I would have felt able to do that a few years and talking, within reason, can be a cathartic, helpful thing.

I'm sure there's a minority of people on here who charge through life in a whirlwind of certainty and clear-thinking. However, I'd wager that the vast majority of us all deal with anxiousness and fears to a fair degree. I don't see it as a bad thing if those get an airing on here - it somehow makes the "fun" side of Fab all the more important and celebratory.

york

[Removed by poster at 31/03/14 17:58:58]

people often post about physical health issues on here and are met with universal support and sympathy, mention mental health and it's a huge taboo to some that should be ignored... Hate the stigma and prejudice it evokes."

Makes no sense to me.

$0.02

I like going into the lounge because it shows that forum members are real people, with real lives and are very, very human. Mental health is a part of this.

I've posted on a sports website for years-the regulars on each other tear each other to shreds discussing issues relating to the sport in question. There is another forum on the site for discussing pretty much anything.

About five years ago someone started a thread on depression - it's still going to this day and it's extraordinary to hear these same tough, argumentative guys and girls disclosing their fears, worries and mental health struggles. It really is an amazing resource and, as someone who lives with pretty full-on anxiety, it's a great source of information and support. I know it's helped others immensely too - including great, hulking 6ft 6in guys who love smashing anything that moves on a rugby pitch.

It's really a revelation reading it and if something like that were to germinate on Fab, it could become a really helpful repository of information.

It is relevant to the central purpose of this site - mind affects mood and performance, as can medications (something I've experienced). I met a nice lady a couple of weeks ago and we discussed this freely. I'm not sure I would have felt able to do that a few years and talking, within reason, can be a cathartic, helpful thing.

I'm sure there's a minority of people on here who charge through life in a whirlwind of certainty and clear-thinking. However, I'd wager that the vast majority of us all deal with anxiousness and fears to a fair degree. I don't see it as a bad thing if those get an airing on here - it somehow makes the "fun" side of Fab all the more important and celebratory.

"

A truly eloquent and intelligent point of _iew. Thank you x

I think it is sad that this thread is being deliberately derailled by people who's only contribution is to say this topic shouldn't be on here and seemingly intent on belittling people that have been open about their mental health.

We've both posted about our craziness on other threads and neither of us see any stigma or shame in our craziness.

[Removed by poster at 31/03/14 18:02:32]

I am reminded continuously that this is a site for no strings fun. Mental health issues are strings and maybe are not what people want to hear about, the same way they don't want to hear about your ex being a bastard. There are countless forums specifically aimed at supporting those with such problems and probably the people who post on them are better informed of the issues involved than the people here.

Having worked and lived with people with severe personality disorders for most of my adult life, when I come here I would like to forget that, I want no strings fun. Unless you are likely to pull a knife on me, I don't want to know.

Lol FFs

You are showing yourself up to be a very aggressive and negative person TNA. If this thread doesn't sit well with you then maybe you should move onto another subject

"

now you've mentioned it,care to share? Or was it sardonism?

york

well said x

Lol FFs

now you've mentioned it,care to share? Or was it sardonism?"

Why would I share lol

I am the naughtiest angel no one needs to know any more than that

"I am reminded continuously that this is a site for no strings fun. Mental health issues are strings and maybe are not what people want to hear about, the same way they don't want to hear about your ex being a bastard. There are countless forums specifically aimed at supporting those with such problems and probably the people who post on them are better informed of the issues involved than the people here.

Having worked and lived with people with severe personality disorders for most of my adult life, when I come here I would like to forget that, I want no strings fun. Unless you are likely to pull a knife on me, I don't want to know."

This lol

I clearly can't word anything right as have me haters now ha ha

Awareness.

What do people actually mean when they use that word? Awareness doesn't necessarily mean or lead to acceptance.

I agree with some earlier posts, debates like this are very important in achieving better awareness. Society has a very long way to go in lifting overall awareness, acceptance and finding the best ways to help and integrate those amongst us who have a mental illness.

Part of that awareness is a basic understanding of some of the vulnerability that exists specifically within this group. Whether we want to accept it or not, there are wolves.

I am very clear in my belief that these debates are important, but I am also with View on this one. A full debate doesn't necessarily need indepth personal information. I am not against it, but I am 'aware' that wolves will prey.

By *U1966Man  over a year ago

Devon

Have been caring for a friend with mental health problems for 11 years and i wouldn't want to go through what they do

Its not something to be ashamed of just part of life some people suffer while others dont

"

"

"I am reminded continuously that this is a site for no strings fun. Mental health issues are strings and maybe are not what people want to hear about, the same way they don't want to hear about your ex being a bastard. There are countless forums specifically aimed at supporting those with such problems and probably the people who post on them are better informed of the issues involved than the people here.

Having worked and lived with people with severe personality disorders for most of my adult life, when I come here I would like to forget that, I want no strings fun. Unless you are likely to pull a knife on me, I don't want to know.

This lol

I clearly can't word anything right as have me haters now ha ha "

Why would you think this post indicated that I hate you??? Completely flummoxed

This lol

I clearly can't word anything right as have me haters now ha ha "

paranoia? You should see a doctor about that

I have, on both sides. Perhaps you should read my follow up posts before casting an ill-informed judgement.

Sorry but I'm not going to sink in to an argument about this, enough people are derailing what could have been an excellent thread. But there was no ambiguity in the post I quoted."

People have the right to post whatever they want on a public forum, within the rules of that forum. You don't have exclusivity just because you have direct experience of the thread topic.

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

Makes no sense to me.

$0.02

A truly eloquent and intelligent point of _iew. Thank you x

"

No need to say thanks VB - it's something that's very close to my heart and I enjoy discussions on the subject.

Fab is great, but it's not the easiest place to dive into for life's more sensitive types. Just make sure you keep things in perspective and don't get too dragged down by any negative experiences.

This lol

paranoia? You should see a doctor about that "

Seems a tad egocentric to assume that any post is directed at oneself. If I am directing it a particular poster I would quote them. The mere coincidence that a post is just above mine is no measure of how personally it is aimed. My post took a while to compose as it wa considered and in that time a few posts appeared because this is a fluid forum

This lol

Why would you think this post indicated that I hate you??? Completely flummoxed "

Who said I was talking about you pmsl

The OP clearly asked what people REALLY think....

And when they dont agree with her she tells them if they dont like it....dont comment!!!...or gets nippy with them...

Cant feckin win with some people on here

This lol

Who said I was talking about you pmsl "

Because you quoted my post

This lol

Why would you think this post indicated that I hate you??? Completely flummoxed "

I think you may have misunderstood her response. I think she agrees with you.

I on the other hand disagree with a lot of what you posted.

This lol

Who said I was talking about you pmsl

Because you quoted my post"

Read it back lol I was agreeing with what you said as what I said people hated lol

By *ScotsmanMan  over a year ago

ayrshire

. .am fookin mental x x X

This lol

paranoia? You should see a doctor about that

Seems a tad egocentric to assume that any post is directed at oneself. If I am directing it a particular poster I would quote them. The mere coincidence that a post is just above mine is no measure of how personally it is aimed. My post took a while to compose as it wa considered and in that time a few posts appeared because this is a fluid forum "

I didn't assume you were talking to or about me

This lol

"

Seems paranoia is rife today

"

Because you quoted my post"

She agreed with your post because you put it better in words....

"The OP clearly asked what people REALLY think....

And when they dont agree with her she tells them if they dont like it....dont comment!!!...or gets nippy with them...

Cant feckin win with some people on here "

Exactly

This lol

I on the other hand disagree with a lot of what you posted. "

Good for you

Does a mod want me to start a thread on Muslims just to separate the arguments a bit?

The written word, misinterpreted in as many varied and colourful ways as humanly possible, the beauty of forums, invariably poisoned.

I asked what people REALLY think, so I'm not distressed / surprised at the comments made. I'm just genuinely interested to read people's point of _iew.

"Does a mod want me to start a thread on Muslims just to separate the arguments a bit? "

Sorry, but this made me laugh.

ayrshire

honestly im cuckoo. .but only dangerous if i think somethins not quite right. . i try to say and do things like jazz hands to take the focus away x x X

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"Does a mod want me to start a thread on Muslims just to separate the arguments a bit? "

Oi watchit

"Seems paranoia is rife today "

are you talking about me

"Seems paranoia is rife today

are you talking about me "

are you talking about me "

Only cos you are talking about me

"Does a mod want me to start a thread on Muslims just to separate the arguments a bit?

Oi watchit "

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Cant feckin win with some people on here "

I gave up.

Cant feckin win with some people on here

I gave up."

Me tooooooo

are you talking about me

Only cos you are talking about me "

who told you I was!!!

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"Since we are only on fab for nsa sex , any mental condition which may add strings is a good reason to not want to meet .

"

Couldn't agree more! I spent three years in and out of hospitals with my youngest: she was in a secure unit for a while, so I've witnessed mental health issues up close and personal. However, fab is for nsa no drama sex. Therefore, anything that could lead to unwelcome drama/issues etc I would avoid.

are you talking about me

Only cos you are talking about me

who told you I was!!! "

Are you talking about me now

ayrshire

im mental and i really want to meet nice . .milky milky

"im mental and i really want to meet nice . .milky milky "

HAHA! I love that show.

Having worked and lived with people with severe personality disorders for most of my adult life, when I come here I would like to forget that, I want no strings fun. Unless you are likely to pull a knife on me, I don't want to know."

Mental health issues are not inherently 'strings' in the context of 'no strings sex'.

Suggesting discussions and debates of this nature should only take place on specialist forums is the language of exclusion. Surely that cannot be the right way forward in a progressive approach.

What you would like to forget about your past is your issue, but it should not have any bearing on what someone else chooses to discuss on anopen forum. Your choice is a simple one, join the thread or move to another one.

I fully appreciate the point you are making, I just disagree with it, and I am equally on here only looking for no strings fun.

The original post didn't say anything about our opinion on talking about personal mental health problems. It asked people's _iews on mental health and positive attitude towards it. This thread highlights the fact that there is not enough understanding of mental health issues and illnesses

"The original post didn't say anything about our opinion on talking about personal mental health problems. It asked people's _iews on mental health and positive attitude towards it. This thread highlights the fact that there is not enough understanding of mental health issues and illnesses"

"Since we are only on fab for nsa sex , any mental condition which may add strings is a good reason to not want to meet .

Couldn't agree more! I spent three years in and out of hospitals with my youngest: she was in a secure unit for a while, so I've witnessed mental health issues up close and personal. However, fab is for nsa no drama sex. Therefore, anything that could lead to unwelcome drama/issues etc I would avoid."

I completely understand and respect these opinions but for me personally (as we are on the subject of meeting people with mental health issues), if I liked someone enough to meet them any issues they had wouldn't bother me too much.

London

"

Indeed, as witnessed by the plethora of threads about being hurt, being used, left abandoned after one meet etc. I cringe at some of the personal information people divulge, baring their souls: rich pickings for the sexual predators.

york

[Removed by poster at 31/03/14 18:43:38]

"The original post didn't say anything about our opinion on talking about personal mental health problems. It asked people's _iews on mental health and positive attitude towards it. This thread highlights the fact that there is not enough understanding of mental health issues and illnesses"

To be fair I didn't see much in the way of response to people who did post _iews on the subject.

And then it descended into handbag throwing. I don't see how this discussion highlights anything other than that people are more interested in who says something than what is said.

ayrshire

i must be fine no strings on me but now i know about them i will check every night before i put the cat in the fridge x x X X..all good well sorted thanks i owe you all a cheese string...but not the mad ones ha had you worried.

By *ighlander34Man  over a year ago

skye

I suffered from depression few years ago! I certainly found out who my true friends were! It was a hard time but a blessing really! You get to see who your real friends are and what people are really like!!

Stick with those who love you for who you are, and get rid of the trash who don't care!! Xx

you really have no idea

york

[Removed by poster at 31/03/14 18:52:13]

London

ayrshire

i keep all my knifes in the drawer. . .next to the bed incase i get toothache

I sincerely hope that you never have a first hand experience in realising how ill informed that post is. "

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I have had depression for years and have recently since been diagnosed with PND at the lovely age of 52. It is a battle, waking up in the morning not knowing what sort of mood you are going to be in during day, the children treading on egg shells because mum spends a lot of time in tears and i can't explain why half the time.

Jet is a rock to me, he puts up with no nonsense, if i say i can't get out of bed, he pesters and pesters until i do. If i don't want to talk to him he will phone every ten minutes until in the end you have to answer the phone.

I wish i could say that i could cope without the tablets but i can't because i don't ever want to go back to that dark place ever again.... It truly is horrible

"Everybody has mental health problems - as long as there are counsellors and therapists getting paid good money to diagnose and treat those problems.you really have no idea"

Meaning what? Seems a fair point to question that there does seem to be a desire to diagnose everything. That doesn't in any way suggest some people are not genuinely with problems and in need of help.

I don't understand personality disorder as an illness. That's a term I've only ever understood as meaning somebody isn't very pleasant. I'm surprised that it's possible to diagnose such a thing.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I think it can make people more interesting. Anyone totally conventional runs the risk of being dull.

"Everybody has mental health problems - as long as there are counsellors and therapists getting paid good money to diagnose and treat those problems.you really have no idea

Meaning what? Seems a fair point to question that there does seem to be a desire to diagnose everything. That doesn't in any way suggest some people are not genuinely with problems and in need of help.

I don't understand personality disorder as an illness. That's a term I've only ever understood as meaning somebody isn't very pleasant. I'm surprised that it's possible to diagnose such a thing."

All I can say is that you're misunderstood. No malice is intended whatsoever.

wonders why people get involved in discussions about things they say they dont want to know about

"I think it can make people more interesting. Anyone totally conventional runs the risk of being dull. "

London

Couldn't agree more! I spent three years in and out of hospitals with my youngest: she was in a secure unit for a while, so I've witnessed mental health issues up close and personal. However, fab is for nsa no drama sex. Therefore, anything that could lead to unwelcome drama/issues etc I would avoid.

I completely understand and respect these opinions but for me personally (as we are on the subject of meeting people with mental health issues), if I liked someone enough to meet them any issues they had wouldn't bother me too much. "

Thing is you don't accommodate, I do. I also share my home with my daughters. I'm mindful of who I invite into my home and mental health issues would be another filter.

"I think it can make people more interesting. Anyone totally conventional runs the risk of being dull. "

Tina, I can always rely on you for a lovely unbiased opinion. ?? You xx

"Everybody has mental health problems - as long as there are counsellors and therapists getting paid good money to diagnose and treat those problems.you really have no idea

I don't understand personality disorder as an illness. That's a term I've only ever understood as meaning somebody isn't very pleasant. I'm surprised that it's possible to diagnose such a thing.

All I can say is that you're misunderstood. No malice is intended whatsoever."

I don't think I'm misunderstood - am I? I was clear in that it's not something I'm familiar with as an illness - only an insult or a description. I'll be surprised if its something that is widely understood as a medical condition.

By *issyyourbadWoman  over a year ago

Dorset

Well I have severe depression and admit it. But just cause I have depression don't mean I don't want to have fun just want future meets to no and if it puts them off fair enough whatever

"wonders why people get involved in discussions about things they say they dont want to know about "

Yes and other people on here have posted the same sort of threads and hardly anyone said anything was wrong with it.

"

Mental health issues are not inherently 'strings' in the context of 'no strings sex'.

Suggesting discussions and debates of this nature should only take place on specialist forums is the language of exclusion. Surely that cannot be the right way forward in a progressive approach.

What you would like to forget about your past is your issue, but it should not have any bearing on what someone else chooses to discuss on anopen forum. Your choice is a simple one, join the thread or move to another one.

I fully appreciate the point you are making, I just disagree with it, and I am equally on here only looking for no strings fun. "

My past? You obviously have an issue with me. Did I turn you down? And I suggested that the OP may receive more empathy on a site concerned with mental Heath issues. I didn't say don't post here

"Thing is you don't accommodate, I do. I also share my home with my daughters. I'm mindful of who I invite into my home and mental health issues would be another filter. "

Hey, I'm not judging or questioning your reasons, like I said I understand why some wouldn't. I quoted you and someone else purely to reply on my _iew of that point.

"I suffered from depression few years ago! I certainly found out who my true friends were! It was a hard time but a blessing really! You get to see who your real friends are and what people are really like!!

Stick with those who love you for who you are, and get rid of the trash who don't care!! Xx"

"Well I have severe depression and admit it. But just cause I have depression don't mean I don't want to have fun just want future meets to no and if it puts them off fair enough whatever"

Can bi polar be cured?

"Thing is you don't accommodate, I do. I also share my home with my daughters. I'm mindful of who I invite into my home and mental health issues would be another filter.

Hey, I'm not judging or questioning your reasons, like I said I understand why some wouldn't. I quoted you and someone else purely to reply on my _iew of that point."

Which also raises the issue of how people (not you specifically) would know without the meet disclosing the information?

"Can bi polar be cured?"

No but it can be controlled to an extent through medication and therapy.

As someone who's only fairly recently gotten out of the woods after almost two decades, I'd say that anyone that doesn't understand what it's like to live with mental illness should feel free to be afraid.

Of course, it's a matter of trust, and trust has to be given for people to prove that they're worth it.

So long as they don't naively go about making assumptions and refusing to be told that they're wrong, so long as they educate themselves and learn that these folks aren't enemies or aliens, mental illness can be overcome, and so can the social barriers between them.

Isolation is one of the greater problems of mental illness, it can rob a man of his identity as well as his freedom when people won't associate with him.

I have a few MH issues but am totally harmless as are 99.9999% of people with M.H.issues. Question to original poster: I became friends with some Borderline people when I was in the Hospital last year. I was told that there are effective treatments for this that can lead to a complete cure ( in the U.S. anyway ). Are you undergoing any now?

Whilst I have great empathy for illness of any kind and I am sympathetic and compassionate, I wont lie and say that if a potential meet informed me they suffered from mental illness, that it wouldnt make me reconsider.

Swinging is just a hobby to me and whilst I like to think we make people feel comfortable and they have a good time in our company as we do in theirs, ultimately swinging is all about us and our priority is that we enjoy ourselves. Im not here to be the most compassionate wonderful, non judgemental person, im here to be a bit crazy, a total contrast to my working professional and family life. I just dont want any added pressure or invest too much in strangers im not going to see again.

Im sorry if it sounds heartless but there it is. And I have to also say OP that if a guy chatting to you thought you sounded 'weird' then he has to think about whats comfortable for him and it wasnt wrong of him to be honest with you.

[Removed by poster at 31/03/14 20:09:03]

"Whilst I have great empathy for illness of any kind and I am sympathetic and compassionate, I wont lie and say that if a potential meet informed me they suffered from mental illness, that it wouldnt make me reconsider.

Swinging is just a hobby to me and whilst I like to think we make people feel comfortable and they have a good time in our company as we do in theirs, ultimately swinging is all about us and our priority is that we enjoy ourselves. Im not here to be the most compassionate wonderful, non judgemental person, im here to be a bit crazy, a total contrast to my working professional and family life. I just dont want any added pressure or invest too much in strangers im not going to see again.

Im sorry if it sounds heartless but there it is. And I have to also say OP that if a guy chatting to you thought you sounded 'weird' then he has to think about whats comfortable for him and it wasnt wrong of him to be honest with you. "

He called me weird because he made a comment everytime I logged on; he would make a comment and 'accuse' me of talking to other fabsters. His problem, not mine I feel.

"Whilst I have great empathy for illness of any kind and I am sympathetic and compassionate, I wont lie and say that if a potential meet informed me they suffered from mental illness, that it wouldnt make me reconsider.

Im sorry if it sounds heartless but there it is. And I have to also say OP that if a guy chatting to you thought you sounded 'weird' then he has to think about whats comfortable for him and it wasnt wrong of him to be honest with you. "

All fair enough. Thank you x

Van Gogh & Mozart both suffered from mental illness. Geniuses in their own right . There are loads more to boot.

OP - I've got no issue with it. Some people are afraid of something they don't understand. Just be thankful you had a lucky escape from the guy that thought you were weird . That's his issue - not yours. Mental illness is very misunderstood .