FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Dads Army the movie

Dads Army the movie

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

On radio 2 this morning they are saying there's going to be a modern remake of the classic Dads Army tv show. Are some things best left in the past? As everyone is going to compare it with the show we all remember (well us oldies) with all the great caricatures.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Quite agree.Always best to leave well alone.

The original writers are probably long gone and with them the spark that made it what it was.

Of cource lack of originality is what this is all about.

Good to get my first grumble of the day out of the way.

The BeeB have come up with some crackpot ideas in the past but this one really does take the biscuit.

They should leave the classic sitcoms alone

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Terry and June the move anyone?

Debbie does Dallas

The movie?

Nothing will replace the comic genius of Arthur Lowe no matter how hard they try.

He totally 'owned' that role for me and always will.

"Quite agree.Always best to leave well alone.

The original writers are probably long gone and with them the spark that made it what it was.

Of cource lack of originality is what this is all about.

Good to get my first grumble of the day out of the way.

"

Writer Jimmy Perry is still alive and kicking

Normally I'm dead against remakes but I've been pleasantly suprised however we love Dad's Army not for the plots but for the characters, and the actors behind them. The charm of the show was the actors, and I don't see how they can replicate it! Leave well alone!!

The story will more than likely be really good but without the original actors it just won't be the same.

Part of the charm of the original Dad's Army was the stumbling, but "authentic" acting. I read that Bill Nighy was going to be doing John LeMesurier's role - totally wrong casting IMHO - I think Stephen Fry would make an excellent Sgt Wilson.

Jimmy Perry has given his blessing to it. He said the only obligation was that he didn't have to do anything about it lol

I know what you mean about leaving things alone, but I also think it would be interesting to see other actors in the role, and see them doing things that they simply couldn't do back in the 70's, because of technology etc.

I can't imagine anyone else playing Del Boy and yet loved James Buckley playing a younger version of him in Rock and Chips.

On the other hand, the updated Open All Hours shown on Boxing Day was horrific. Definitely a mistake doing it.

But I guess you don't know until you try it. It could have been the other way around. Rock and Chips being rubbish and Still Open All Hours a success.

Jimmy Perry has given his blessing to it. He said the only obligation was that he didn't have to do anything about it lol

I know what you mean about leaving things alone, but I also think it would be interesting to see other actors in the role, and see them doing things that they simply couldn't do back in the 70's, because of technology etc.

I can't imagine anyone else playing Del Boy and yet loved James Buckley playing a younger version of him in Rock and Chips.

On the other hand, the updated Open All Hours shown on Boxing Day was horrific. Definitely a mistake doing it.

But I guess you don't know until you try it. It could have been the other way around. Rock and Chips being rubbish and Still Open All Hours a success.

By *ikki ShooterTV/TS  over a year ago

Epsom

They need to leave it alone. The type of humour has moved on. A bit like trying to remake 'it ain't 'alf hot mum.' you couldn't get away with what they did. As too many people would be screaming about political correctness

Love the originals... There's a reason we call them classics.

leave well alone - stick with the new stuff - mrs browns boys the movie (seen the clips very funny)

Another nail in the coffin of my childhood memories.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I'm willing to give it a whirl.

Mind you everyone else seems to be wanting to send in a letter telling the originator of the idea that he's a stupid boy.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Its cheaper and takes less tallent to rehash a 40+year old TV program than to come up with new ideas

The prequel to last of the summer wine was dreadful

Rock and chips was hit and miss

Don't get me started on Thunderbirds and the Italian job

"Another nail in the coffin of my childhood memories."
Yes some how They will not capture it the same as thee

Original version even thou it was on tv You could get a feeling of the atmosphere

In the original series apart from the Actors the best way of explaining it Would Be to have experienced being in a old barbers shop with wooden panelling in the 60s/70s the smell of brycreem or Thee old village hall with its creeking Wooden floor boards nothing really glitzy to me that all felt very Atmospheric but with the original actors

not there clive dunn and his butchers van and the old guy about 80 with white Hair and the young guy who was always Saying yes mr mannering you can,t build On such actors talents I suppose Its Just what we remember and hate the thought of anyone trying to change it or Trying to...

[Removed by poster at 28/04/14 18:02:04]

Oh well the thought was there I don,t mind that (union jack and all)..

» Add a new message to this topic