FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Why do men...

Why do men...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *empting Devil. OP   Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

Why do men who break down on the motorway invariably open the bonnet? Then they sit there on the barrier looking glum.

Do they actually know what's wrong or is it just a man thing like not asking for directions?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Why do men who break down on the motorway invariably open the bonnet? Then they sit there on the barrier looking glum.

Do they actually know what's wrong or is it just a man thing like not asking for directions? "

Because they have a look for anything obvious, then realise that since men have become more like their mothers, than their fathers, that they have no idea what any of the engine does, let alone how to fix it.

Then they call the AA and sit there waiting.

They are waiting for the breakdown man to arrive and having broken down on a motorway it is glum

And once they're under the bonnet, then touch things like faith healing and then think 'that's sorted it, let's give it a go'

With the bonnet up it gives the breakdown van plenty of time to indicate on to the hard shoulder without causing problems.

Some of us do have decent mechanical knowledge. Some problems may manifest themselves in a visible fashion. That way if calling AA/GreenFlag/RAC etc you can give them more info. Do they send out an engineer with tools or a tow truck?

To see if the jefferson rod has snapped (bonus points if someone gets the reference).

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Maybe they open the bonnet to look inside

Sitting outside your vehicle is what your meant to do, its safer than sitting in it

Looking glum could be down to knowing its all going to get very expensive very quickly!

By *odareyouMan  over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

When the mechanic arrives we also nod in that certain way men do ( when we don t actually know. But we want others to think we do know and theres always the ahhh I thought so, yeah thats it as well,

And ahem I do ask for directions, in a manly way

By *udistnorthantsMan  over a year ago

Desborough

If it has overheated it gives it a chance to cool down

Plus sitting on the barrier / embankment is recommended incase the car on the hard shoulder gets hit in the rear by another vehicle

I usually leave it n go nick another one

Gimp

By *airy_HettyWoman  over a year ago

Greater London

"Why do men who break down on the motorway invariably open the bonnet? Then they sit there on the barrier looking glum.

Do they actually know what's wrong or is it just a man thing like not asking for directions? "

Cos if its loose and shouldn't be then you can tell the AA to bring duct tape, or if its tight and shouldn't be then they need to bring WD40.

They look glum as they had neither in the car to begin with.

By *heffmMan  over a year ago

sheffield

It gives the car a chance to get its breath back

Sheffield

"They are waiting for the breakdown man to arrive and having broken down on a motorway it is glum"

I'm aware that it is recommended to sit outside the car when broken down as cars on the hard shoulder are frequently hit (its also recommended to go behind the barrier and away from the vehicle).

My query is why men automatically pop the bonnet - if you pass women who have broken down they rarely do so.

I ask because very few men I know know about engines, and quite a few don't even top up their own oil!

By *ScotsmanMan  over a year ago

ayrshire

all men like to think we have an idea about what could be wrong and women hauent a clue

By *atchMan  over a year ago

reigate

Personally (as I have no clue about engines would get out and open the boot as get out warning triangle. As for asking directions afraid Sat Nav sorts me out.

Sheffield

"all men like to think we have an idea about what could be wrong and women hauent a clue "

And women (like me) will freely admit that we don't have that knowledge and just call out someone who does - why would I fill up the part of ny brain that's full of how to bake and multitask and flirt with knowledge that will only lead to broken nails and smelling of oil?!

By *ScotsmanMan  over a year ago

ayrshire

"all men like to think we have an idea about what could be wrong and women hauent a clue

And women (like me) will freely admit that we don't have that knowledge and just call out someone who does - why would I fill up the part of ny brain that's full of how to bake and multitask and flirt with knowledge that will only lead to broken nails and smelling of oil?! "

. .i agree with you

i (the fem) would do that - sometimes its obvious where the problem is -

moston

"They are waiting for the breakdown man to arrive and having broken down on a motorway it is glum

I'm aware that it is recommended to sit outside the car when broken down as cars on the hard shoulder are frequently hit (its also recommended to go behind the barrier and away from the vehicle).

My query is why men automatically pop the bonnet - if you pass women who have broken down they rarely do so.

I ask because very few men I know know about engines, and quite a few don't even top up their own oil!"

Fact is that no matter how much you know there is very little chance that you can fix any breakdown on the side of any road never mind a motorway because very few men have an adequate tool kit or the right spare parts with them. But if you have some idea of what is going on under the bonnet it is possible that you can save yourself some time by telling the breakdown service what has gone wrong and if it is fixable at the roadside what parts are needed.

If broken down I will always pop the bonnet. It tells other motorists that I'm not going anywhere soon. Also if there is parking restrictions it tells the authorities I am not parked.

By *opinovMan  over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

The bonnet needs to be lifted to allow diagnosis and/or to prevent a man from appearing "girly".

Man logic says, if oil is leaking it's a mechanical problem - if smoke is leaking it's an electrical problem... google: "Smoke Theory of Electric Circuits"

Sheffield

"If broken down I will always pop the bonnet. It tells other motorists that I'm not going anywhere soon. Also if there is parking restrictions it tells the authorities I am not parked. "

Very logical.

The same reason I have got the spare tyre out before when I had a flat despite being unable to loosen the machine tightened nuts.

Yes it's a man thing. No man in his right mind is going to let the AA man turn up and not have a theory as to why it doesn't work. "Yeah I think the worm flange is loose"

Even though on a modern car opening the bonnet is next to useless unless the car had broken down because the windscreen wash is empty.

Even the AA man is equally clueless but neither will admit it. All he will do is plug his laptop into the ECU and see if it's a fault he can reset. If not you're getting towed.

moston

"all men like to think we have an idea about what could be wrong and women hauent a clue

And women (like me) will freely admit that we don't have that knowledge and just call out someone who does - why would I fill up the part of ny brain that's full of how to bake and multitask and flirt with knowledge that will only lead to broken nails and smelling of oil?! "

True

Fact is I have restored lots of classic motorcycles and cars. I have blueprinted , fully helicoiled, skimmed lapped and machine matched heads and barrels to increase compression ratios on race machinery in my younger days, but I would not be able to do anything on modern cars because without the right software and connections to talk to the cars brain your screwed!

"If broken down I will always pop the bonnet. It tells other motorists that I'm not going anywhere soon. Also if there is parking restrictions it tells the authorities I am not parked.

Very logical.

The same reason I have got the spare tyre out before when I had a flat despite being unable to loosen the machine tightened nuts. "

I will do this as well

"If broken down I will always pop the bonnet. It tells other motorists that I'm not going anywhere soon. Also if there is parking restrictions it tells the authorities I am not parked.

Very logical.

The same reason I have got the spare tyre out before when I had a flat despite being unable to loosen the machine tightened nuts.

I will do this as well "

Where is this spare wheel you speak off kept?

moston

"

The same reason I have got the spare tyre out before when I had a flat despite being unable to loosen the machine tightened nuts. "

Carry a short (1 foot or 300cm) of steel pipe in your boot, a piece of plywood about 18" (450mm) square and a piece of off-cut carpet about 36" long and 24" wide. The wood will go under your jack and stop it sinking into soft ground, the steel pipe will slide over your tyre brace and make it easy for you to break the chemical weld formed by the steel wheel-nuts being in contact with your ally wheels (just break the bond by pushing down with your foot on all the nuts before jacking up the car) then slip it over the jack handle and make it easier to jack up the car. Remember to tighten up the wheel nuts the same way after you drop the car off the jack after changing the tyre. The carpet is to kneel or sit on while you do the above

What's a bonnet?

A frilly thing that sits on your head.

It's like men buying a new car:

Kick the tyres and look knowledgeable

X

"

Where is this spare wheel you speak off kept?

"

That's not such an easy question these days. With some new cars having a skinny wheel some having no spare at all and others its an optional extra so the car weighs less in the mpg testing.

You should ask at your mechanics or dealership where it is, and also these days ask how to open the bonnet used to be simple but some manufacturers have found ways of making it into an Indiana jones quality puzzle game.

I carry diagnostic equipment, a basic tool kit and jump leads. If I can fix it by the side of the road, I will and I've not failed yet. Failing that, the man from Green Flag can tow me home.

Sheffield

"

Carry a short (1 foot or 300cm) of steel pipe in your boot, a piece of plywood about 18" (450mm) square and a piece of off-cut carpet about 36" long and 24" wide. The wood will go under your jack and stop it sinking into soft ground, the steel pipe will slide over your tyre brace and make it easy for you to break the chemical weld formed by the steel wheel-nuts being in contact with your ally wheels (just break the bond by pushing down with your foot on all the nuts before jacking up the car) then slip it over the jack handle and make it easier to jack up the car. Remember to tighten up the wheel nuts the same way after you drop the car off the jack after changing the tyre. The carpet is to kneel or sit on while you do the above"

After having to be assisted three times to change a wheel cos I couldn't loosen the nuts a friend cut me a piece of pipe to extend my brace.

I always carry a waterproof travel rug in the car which does the job for kneeling on (or lounging in the sunshine) and I not only know how to change a wheel but also where and when to jack it.

Having said that, it's amazing how many (lovely and generous) men will stop to assist a lady with a spare tyre even if she's managing! Especially since my usual mode of dress is a little frock, heels and full make up!

They insist!

By *atchMan  over a year ago

reigate

"

Carry a short (1 foot or 300cm) of steel pipe in your boot, a piece of plywood about 18" (450mm) square and a piece of off-cut carpet about 36" long and 24" wide. The wood will go under your jack and stop it sinking into soft ground, the steel pipe will slide over your tyre brace and make it easy for you to break the chemical weld formed by the steel wheel-nuts being in contact with your ally wheels (just break the bond by pushing down with your foot on all the nuts before jacking up the car) then slip it over the jack handle and make it easier to jack up the car. Remember to tighten up the wheel nuts the same way after you drop the car off the jack after changing the tyre. The carpet is to kneel or sit on while you do the above

After having to be assisted three times to change a wheel cos I couldn't loosen the nuts a friend cut me a piece of pipe to extend my brace.

I always carry a waterproof travel rug in the car which does the job for kneeling on (or lounging in the sunshine) and I not only know how to change a wheel but also where and when to jack it.

Having said that, it's amazing how many (lovely and generous) men will stop to assist a lady with a spare tyre even if she's managing! Especially since my usual mode of dress is a little frock, heels and full make up!

They insist!"

I went a couple of years ago to a meeting at the Treasury in Westminster and was given a parking space in the inner car park. On arriving went through the bomb check, mirrors under the car open boot etc, then the guard said can you open the bonnet so we can check inside after a couple of minutes of me looking for the release handle he took me to one side and said I think you will find it is here sir, that's why I could never open the bonnet on the motorway.

By *erfectlyPervertedCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

Mostly because they haven't prepped their vehicle and are suffering the consequences; it's a pity that a Darwinian foot cannot squash them from the gene pool.

Tank Girl

By *atelotmanMan  over a year ago

Chatham

I know that unless I let the engine cool down,No way am I going to fiddle around with it so hence open the bonnet.

By *entaur 9Man  over a year ago

Warwickshire

Its a instinctive sign to indicate they have broken down.

Firstly lift bonnet look at engine to swear at it and then walk away to the safety of the hard shoulder in disgust of the said wheels that have totally ruined their day.

Usually its an act by male swingers who consequently cant make their meet. Thats why there are so many no shows.

Yep that no show was the guy on the hard shoulder no wonder he looked so glum . It explains so much lol.

As always love to you all especially those who have broken down- bonnet up or down its no fun! Xx

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

There just time wasters I mean every1 know just call the who

By *aitinkCouple  over a year ago

York

Standard universal signal for broken down - tells the police you aren't stopped for a picnic or to let the toddler run around picking the pretty flowers. And to tell the HGV driver not to plough into you!!!!

I have asked directions many at time, mainly when my hand written directions are a soggy mess in tbe pocket if my motorcycle jacket.

"They are waiting for the breakdown man to arrive and having broken down on a motorway it is glum

I'm aware that it is recommended to sit outside the car when broken down as cars on the hard shoulder are frequently hit (its also recommended to

go behind the barrier and away from the vehicle).

I ask because very few men I know know about engines, and quite a few don't even top up their own oil!

Fact is that no matter how much you know there is very little chance that you can fix any breakdown on the side of any road never mind a motorway because very few men have an adequate tool kit or the right spare parts with them. But if you have some idea of what is going on under the bonnet it is possible that you can save yourself some time by telling the breakdown service what has gone wrong and if it is fixable at the roadside what parts are needed."

this is why i keep a spare engine in the boot and a chest of tools on the back seat...saves me a fortune in breakdown cover

It goes back to when cars overheated it was done to let them cool also its good practice as cctv monitoring cameras or patrols will realise you have issues and not a woman pulled up to do her makeup.

By *ayandess1Couple  over a year ago

bridgwater

I do this as a way of indicating that I have in fact broken down.

I know that others will pass and on seeing my deflated face and lackluster expression will know that the car has broken down instead of presuming falsely that I have had a bad day and have given up driving in favour of sitting behind the wheel with crossed arms in a huff with the world.

Plus it also makes me feel useful. I know that the AA man will ask me to "pop the bonnet" so I can say I have at least contributed to something.

Xxx

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"

Carry a short (1 foot or 300cm) of steel pipe in your boot, a piece of plywood about 18" (450mm) square and a piece of off-cut carpet about 36" long and 24" wide. The wood will go under your jack and stop it sinking into soft ground, the steel pipe will slide over your tyre brace and make it easy for you to break the chemical weld formed by the steel wheel-nuts being in contact with your ally wheels (just break the bond by pushing down with your foot on all the nuts before jacking up the car) then slip it over the jack handle and make it easier to jack up the car. Remember to tighten up the wheel nuts the same way after you drop the car off the jack after changing the tyre. The carpet is to kneel or sit on while you do the above"

The carpet and wood are excellent ideas!!

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"

They insist!"

They do insist even when she's dressed in jods and boots and half way through - and then walk off with her wheel locking nut spanner costing her £30.00 to replace, grrr!!

By *d_deeTV/TS  over a year ago

cheshire

"With the bonnet up it gives the breakdown van plenty of time to indicate on to the hard shoulder without causing problems."

Ah yes, as there is usually a line of cars on the hard shoulder and then they know which one to pick

By *etanreadyCouple  over a year ago

dover

As truck driver, I see so many drivers and passengers standing on the hard shoulder in front of the vehicle, if the vehicle is going to be hit, that's the last place you wont to stand.

"There just time wasters I mean every1 know just call the who "

Lmao! I will admit to failing the other day. One of Ruby's rear shoes was binding a bit and making a funny noise. I loosened the wheel nuts, jacked the car up, removed the studs and could I get the wheel off?! Could I fuck!

It would seem that applying grease to the face of the hub to stop the wheel seizing to it is a thing of the past, I even belted the crap out of it with a ballpeen hammer and the bloody thing still wouldn't shift. Thankfully all the beating cured the sticky brake shoe and all was well once more.

Once I can get to my axle stands I'll get the wheels off and give em a good clean and grease as there's no way she'd get it off if she got a flat.

"Why do men who break down on the motorway invariably open the bonnet?"

They are looking for a tissue!

ah not that kind of break down?...

Its a show off thing to women! Well have you ever found a woman who can work out how to open one!

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

Do they actually know what's wrong or is it just a man thing like not asking for directions?

Its a show off thing to women! Well have you ever found a woman who can work out how to open one! "

Oi!

I'm just about the only one who can open mine. The release catch down towards the driver's footwell is easy enough to find, but there's a knack to releasing the catch on the bonnet that allows it to be lifted.

Last time an AA man attended my car he had to ask me to open the bonnet. Poor guy!

"I carry diagnostic equipment, a basic tool kit and jump leads. If I can fix it by the side of the road, I will and I've not failed yet. Failing that, the man from Green Flag can tow me home."

I'm not doing many miles at the moment but I'm seriously pushing my luck.

I have minimal tools in the car and no jump leads. The poor vehicle is also badly overdue a service (a minor one -oil, filters, plugs) AND I've let my breakdown cover lapse... oh, I can't remember the last time I checked the spare tyre either.

I've lost all interest in car stuff and I know it's going to bite me on the arse at some point.

Its a show off thing to women! Well have you ever found a woman who can work out how to open one!

Oi!

I'm just about the only one who can open mine. The release catch down towards the driver's footwell is easy enough to find, but there's a knack to releasing the catch on the bonnet that allows it to be lifted.

Last time an AA man attended my car he had to ask me to open the bonnet. Poor guy! "

I am impressed as so many guys and women can't what were you looking for under the bonnet?

Oi!

Last time an AA man attended my car he had to ask me to open the bonnet. Poor guy!

I am impressed as so many guys and women can't what were you looking for under the bonnet?

"

I'm single so I check my own oil, fill the screenwash, check/change plugs... I also do my own oil changes (when I can't barter computer services for mechanic services!)

I also remove the battery and clean leaf mulch out from under it when putting the fan/aircon on begins producing a manky cabbage smell (it's one of the little foibles of my model of car, apparently, that organic matter tends to accumulate under the battery!)

Oi!

I'm single so I check my own oil, fill the screenwash, check/change plugs... I also do my own oil changes (when I can't barter computer services for mechanic services!)

I also remove the battery and clean leaf mulch out from under it when putting the fan/aircon on begins producing a manky cabbage smell (it's one of the little foibles of my model of car, apparently, that organic matter tends to accumulate under the battery!)"

Well you are one of the few 90% dont check oil and 50% havent a clue where to put water in its frightening!

Oi!

I also remove the battery and clean leaf mulch out from under it when putting the fan/aircon on begins producing a manky cabbage smell (it's one of the little foibles of my model of car, apparently, that organic matter tends to accumulate under the battery!)

Well you are one of the few 90% dont check oil and 50% havent a clue where to put water in its frightening! "

If I didn't know, the bits under the bonnet I need to find, like the screenwash bottle cap and the oil cap, are helpfully coloured bright yellow to assist me! So simple even a woman can do it!

I've been a bit lax lately, lulled into a false sense of security because I'm not doing many miles. I need to address that before I regret it.

I am reliably informed that they have to decide if it needs a new crankshaft return spring or if they need to adjust the jerry clicker valve....

All very technical stuff, apparently.!

Oi!

Well you are one of the few 90% dont check oil and 50% havent a clue where to put water in its frightening!

If I didn't know, the bits under the bonnet I need to find, like the screenwash bottle cap and the oil cap, are helpfully coloured bright yellow to assist me! So simple even a woman can do it!

I've been a bit lax lately, lulled into a false sense of security because I'm not doing many miles. I need to address that before I regret it."

You do right look after your motor and you will spend less one of mine I only do 4k a year but I still check it every fortnight just to be sure.

I had my first breakdown on my motorbike yesterday, and whilst I know it wasn't my fault I still felt a bit embarrassed about it.

Had to push it to the other side of the road and since there is no bonnet to lift to show it wasn't my fault I just had to sit twiddling the dials and buttons.

its usually because he he is sat there thinking i was going to check the oil and the water before i left but i had to fetch my lazy sour faced wife a cream cake for the trip and now she is sat in the car eating that big cream cake moaning her ass off

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

They are hoping the Swedish naked netball team bus is going by and will offer them a lift

By *opinovMan  over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

"Why do men?.."

Why not do us?.. it's fun and we like it.

I ask because very few men I know know about engines, and quite a few don't even top up their own oil!"

Would that be because most women don't know where the bonnet catch is?

(Ducks to avoid the flack that will obviously follow!)

Because they have a look for anything obvious, then realise that since men have become more like their mothers, than their fathers, that they have no idea what any of the engine does, let alone how to fix it.

Then they call the AA and sit there waiting."

my dad always told me if it's got tyres or tits it's bound to give trouble

Oi!

I also remove the battery and clean leaf mulch out from under it when putting the fan/aircon on begins producing a manky cabbage smell (it's one of the little foibles of my model of car, apparently, that organic matter tends to accumulate under the battery!)"

Best way to stop the aircon-mulch smell is to also change your cabin filter. It's often neglected, even my main stealers (not a typo) and should really be done every service. Clearing leaves and crap will help but won't fully cure it and your aircon will be much more effective too.

Oi!

Best way to stop the aircon-mulch smell is to also change your cabin filter. It's often neglected, even my main stealers (not a typo) and should really be done every service. Clearing leaves and crap will help but won't fully cure it and your aircon will be much more effective too."

The filters are done regularly because I'm sensitive to pollen. My car really does collect mulch to a much greater degree than any other car I've experience of. Removing the mulch and, in extreme cases using an aircon bomb, does rectify the problem (until it accumulates again).

As for effective aircon, it needs a recharge so there's not much that can be done to aid it.

I have been driving it for 12 years without it being redone so I can't really complain

» Add a new message to this topic