FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > whats the purpose of life?.....

whats the purpose of life?.....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *akedninja OP   Man  over a year ago

edinburgh

happiness perhaps?

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles roll

ed into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.. The students responded with a unanimous ‘yes.’

The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand.The students laughed..

‘Now,’ said the professor as the laughter subsided, ‘I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things—-your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions—-and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.. The sand is everything else—-the small stuff.

‘If you put the sand into the jar first,’ he continued, ‘there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

Spend time with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and mow the lawn.

Take care of the golf balls first—-the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented. The professor smiled and said, ‘I’m glad you asked.’ The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there’s always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *smWoman  over a year ago

saltash

I actually have the answer to this, on my kitchen wall.

The purpose of life is...

To have a life of purpose

Hope that helps , x

edinburgh

" I actually have the answer to this, on my kitchen wall.

The purpose of life is...

To have a life of purpose

Hope that helps , x "

very well said...profound xxx

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Life is a mayonnaise jar, and the you die

edinburgh

"Life is a mayonnaise jar, and the you die

"

lol my life is like a marmite jar....

By *hortieWoman  over a year ago

Northampton

lol my life is like a marmite jar...."

i've always got my finger in you???

By *rtemisiaWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

Happiness is like a castle, the doors of which are forever open, but you may never enter. It is reached by a bridge, below which are crocodiles. I am paraphrasing a poem here. It is the time we spend reaching for happiness on that bridge, suspended above trouble, where happiness is actually to be found. Fleeting and recrossed over and over, building memories as we strive, and always hoping to stay out of reach from what lies beneath.

edinburgh

lol my life is like a marmite jar....

i've always got my finger in you??? "

oh yea baby...oh so kinky....id love to return the favour some day lol x

Without rambling on too much, I have given this quite a bit of thought and the best I could really come up with is to be a better parent than your parents were to you.

Kind of works on different levels as in it fulfils the procreation part of our existance whilst attempting to make the world a better place (by raising children who are better people than we are). In a nutshell.

Excellent op

I was asked yesterday what I wanted to do before I died....

My answer was simple....

I want to Live....

edinburgh

"Excellent op

My answer was simple....

I want to Live...."

livin la vida loca!...im looking to live la dolce vita! xxx

Procreation

I'm almost Buddhist in the sense of I think life is ever evolving & that you should aspire to be the best you can possibly be on every level. If my daughter takes anything from me, I hope its self belief, aspirations & the confidence to dream it AND do it.

edinburgh

"Procreation"
your place or mines?

There is no purpose. Life on Earth didn't happen for a purpose. Just chain reactions

"Excellent op

My answer was simple....

I want to Live....livin la vida loca!...im looking to live la dolce vita! xxx"

I know a great place to do that

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

The perpetuation of the species.

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

I like the op statement even though I feel it's clever witty assertions are only one of many perspectives x it is a consciousness raising story , just as Australia is not down

I would be pedantic over the op statement what is the purpose of life suggesting there is no answer to that there is no answer if one is atheist ? What purpose do you give your life is what I think people are answering only that philosophically purpose is given by a consciousness it's metaphoric not existing outside the human concept

Humans try to justify a reason to be where other life, rocks and planets function and just are

Our evolved function it cannot be argued is to procreate

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Without rambling on too much, I have given this quite a bit of thought and the best I could really come up with is to be a better parent than your parents were to you.

Kind of works on different levels as in it fulfils the procreation part of our existance whilst attempting to make the world a better place (by raising children who are better people than we are). In a nutshell."

Nice.

Now define better parent x

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"There is no purpose. Life on Earth didn't happen for a purpose. Just chain reactions"

You took a mystery and made me want it.

I can't think of any purpose right now apart from procreation until the earth falls off its axix after it has been ruined by humans

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life may be a good pointer...

"There is no purpose. Life on Earth didn't happen for a purpose. Just chain reactions

You took a mystery and made me want it."

That did cross my mind when I wrote it

"Monty Python's The Meaning of Life may be a good pointer... "

Naa thats just a hoax

edinburgh

"I like the op statement even though I feel it's clever witty assertions are only one of many perspectives x it is a consciousness raising story , just as Australia is not down

I would be pedantic over the op statement what is the purpose of life suggesting there is no answer to that there is no answer if one is atheist ? What purpose do you give your life is what I think people are answering only that philosophically purpose is given by a consciousness it's metaphoric not existing outside the human concept

Humans try to justify a reason to be where other life, rocks and planets function and just are

Our evolved function it cannot be argued is to procreate "

which would explain why alot of us are on here for startersmake love not war!

» Add a new message to this topic