FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Sugar

Sugar

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I accept as an adult its my responsibility to look at food labels in regards to sugar and how much they contain, but is it also time that manufacturers start to reduce sugar in there products to assist with reducing the amounts.

The government are going to recommend than men have 9 tsp of sugar daily and women only 6

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ackandkateCouple  over a year ago

Truro

They'll be telling us how often we're allowed fart soon.

Fucking liberty

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I've cut sugar out of my diet as much as possible. Its ridiculous how much hidden sugar there is in some foods. Breakfast cereals can be a quarter sugar! W Kellogg must be spinning in his grave!

There is so much attention spent on reducing fat in food and what we eat, but sugar can make you just as fat, and makes your teeth drop out too!

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Four jammy dodgers a day is the sugar limit for women thank goodness I don't like them and only eat the occasional slice or two of cake .

I do think manufacturers should review sugar content and stop justifying it.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

We try and prepare as much food from scratch as possible so we can control exactly what goes into it.

By *uriosity filled the ....Man  over a year ago

Stockport

I don't have a sweet tooth, I have other vices, but sugar isn't one of them.

By all accounts it's addictive, only you don't realise this because you 'feel like a....' and as it's not cigarettes, alcohol or illicit substances, feeling like you want to eat something and its not a bacon sandwich but a low fat biscuit means crack on.

I enjoy inibriation and sausages, I know they ain't good for me. Hidden sugar is the equiavalent of hidden booze and sausages, that's not good for no one.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"I don't have a sweet tooth, I have other vices, but sugar isn't one of them.

By all accounts it's addictive, only you don't realise this because you 'feel like a....' and as it's not cigarettes, alcohol or illicit substances, feeling like you want to eat something and its not a bacon sandwich but a low fat biscuit means crack on.

I enjoy inibriation and sausages, I know they ain't good for me. Hidden sugar is the equiavalent of hidden booze and sausages, that's not good for no one.

"

Mmmmm, hidden sausages.....

I'm on slimming world so don't use sugar I sweeten things with fresh fruit except coffee that would be weird

Sweetener for that

"I'm on slimming world so don't use sugar I sweeten things with fresh fruit except coffee that would be weird

Sweetener for that"

i lived on fat free muller yoghurts .. crammed with sugar

By *uriosity filled the ....Man  over a year ago

Stockport

"I don't have a sweet tooth, I have other vices, but sugar isn't one of them.

Mmmmm, hidden sausages..... "

Not if you don't know it's in there

"I'm on slimming world so don't use sugar I sweeten things with fresh fruit except coffee that would be weird

Sweetener for that

i lived on fat free muller yoghurts .. crammed with sugar "

I look at how many calories there are in things I don't have muller at all I have natural yog x

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

Riiiight. So we're supposed to drastically reduce the amount of sugar we eat. We're supposed to eat a low fat diet. We're supposed to limit how much red meat we eat...

What actually are we supposed to eat?!

We definitely eat too much sugar, as a Nation and I agree it's very harmful. I totally agree with Cute that too much sugar is added to foods.

It's about time food producers were held to account over hidden sugar and additives.

It seems the only things 'safe' to eat is white meat, fish and green vegetables, and that's bloody expensive. And boring.

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple  over a year ago

Manchester Area

How come all food today are loaded with sugar. Ready prepared meals. They need sugar and salt to enhance the flavour.

Teach your children how to cook from scratch. That way you know how much salt is included.

In savoury dishes, how many put sugar in. Yet ready meals are loaded with it.

Salt is not always needed, try pepper and herbs. Gives loads of flavour

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

Why not eat the stuff that is easily available ; meats, dairy, vegetables, nuts and seeds. No hidden sugars in that lot.

We've become so reliable on pretty packaged food that we've forgotten how to eat.

"I've cut sugar out of my diet as much as possible. Its ridiculous how much hidden sugar there is in some foods. Breakfast cereals can be a quarter sugar! W Kellogg must be spinning in his grave!

There is so much attention spent on reducing fat in food and what we eat, but sugar can make you just as fat, and makes your teeth drop out too!"

Sugar is worse than fat, by a mile, in my opinion.

"Why not eat the stuff that is easily available ; meats, dairy, vegetables, nuts and seeds. No hidden sugars in that lot.

We've become so reliable on pretty packaged food that we've forgotten how to eat."

Agreed, cook fresh as often as possible and you won't go far wrong.

I went cold turkey off sugar, caffiene

Sugar is addictive, my body went all crazy on my lost 8lbs in the space of a week, disliked the taste of chocolate and sugary things

Everything is bad for you in excess why we have to be bombarded by different experts every week

Ffs most of us have common sense and the are no amount of expert reports that will change the habits of people that don't leave us alone !!!!!!

"Why not eat the stuff that is easily available ; meats, dairy, vegetables, nuts and seeds. No hidden sugars in that lot.

We've become so reliable on pretty packaged food that we've forgotten how to eat.

Agreed, cook fresh as often as possible and you won't go far wrong."

Cook...

That's one of those 4-letter words

Agreed, cook fresh as often as possible and you won't go far wrong.

Cook...

That's one of those 4-letter words "

Love to cook...

I'm a cook and I'm proud.

lol VV you do make me chuckle x

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

being diabetic ..now on insulin I have to be careful about sugar .. its a nightmare sometimes

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"We try and prepare as much food from scratch as possible so we can control exactly what goes into it."

This is exactly what I do, also there is too much salt in pre-prepared meals

By *odareyouMan  over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

Well before the guidelines come into force am I okay eating my finger of fudge and cadburys caramel,

That would mean only 6 cups of coffee and no Chocolate

re Sugar. I much, much prefer Johnny Nash's version. He, and others, had the right idea :

"You poured sugar on me."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RJuLbFro4M&feature=kp

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

My Granddad used to eat sugar sandwiches.

"My Granddad used to eat sugar sandwiches. "

Jeez, we was posh then, we had banana slices in our sugar sarnies.

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

for sore throats we were given a big lump of butter coated in sugar

"for sore throats we were given a big lump of butter coated in sugar"

Blooming heck I remember that as well

By *horltzMan  over a year ago

heysham

"for sore throats we were given a big lump of butter coated in sugar

Blooming heck I remember that as well "

Eeew , glad I missed out on that !!

By *rinking-in-laCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

Stop buying sugary things and manufacturers will stop making them.

As for the "what can we eat if we cannot eat this and that" question. You can eat almost unlimited green veg, fish, white meat. Eating red meat is great just don't eat it every day. Cheese is fantastic for you. Again in moderation. Fruit is full of sugar but is incredibly healthy and full of vitamins so eat a little at a time and get pulses and grains into you like they are going out of fashion.

There are loads of options. Don't just see the words like limit. Understand what the advice is actually saying. A balanced and varied diet of fresh unprocessed (except cheese, pasta, bread etc) food and lots and lots of regular exercise.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I can see a return to ration books and food restrictions. Most people are now overweight, many obese. It is a complex problem but the food suppliers and supermarkets have massive responsibilities. The down side is that chocolate dating could become as socially unsupported as smoking, so Id not cope too well.

By *adyGardenWoman  over a year ago

LONDON (se)

Sugar is good for nail polish spills on hard surfaces. Just sprinkle it generously all over and it clumps up and can be swept away.

Personally i would rather have to much sugar than use artificial sweetners which are not good for your health either.

By *rinking-in-laCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

"Personally i would rather have to much sugar than use artificial sweetners which are not good for your health either."

Artificial sweetners do not seem to make you obese. It is not proven that they are totally harmless but for drinks especially, if we are going to insist on sweet drinks all the time, we need to remove the sugar as the artificial sweetners are much less damaging. Stevia is a good example of a natural sweetner that does not have nearly as many calories as sugar but has a similar sweet taste and is a natural product which has been used for centuries by some without any perceived ill effect.

"Personally i would rather have to much sugar than use artificial sweetners which are not good for your health either.

Artificial sweetners do not seem to make you obese. It is not proven that they are totally harmless but for drinks especially, if we are going to insist on sweet drinks all the time, we need to remove the sugar as the artificial sweetners are much less damaging. Stevia is a good example of a natural sweetner that does not have nearly as many calories as sugar but has a similar sweet taste and is a natural product which has been used for centuries by some without any perceived ill effect."

Well thats not true for me, artificial sweetners make me very ill, hence i stay away from them and if i want sweet things i will use sugar as its far safer for me.

Just do more cardio

Stick to sugar free sweets ( or Chocolate, Ms Granny Grumpet tells me).

By the time you've finished shitting yerself you'll no longer be obese.

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

i do think that artificial sweeteners have a government health warning for being carcenogenic in the states ..much like fags over here

Fab!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I like appropriate state influence and controls over unhealthy stuff. Where would we be without pollution, water quality and other issues. We need drastic action to cut obesity levels, with overweight or obese people now more in the majority than healthy weight. We cannot leave it to food and drink suppliers as they have one priority of profit. People also need support, which can come in the form of advice but better imo to have state imposed controls. If things continue to escalate we may have to return to rationing. Less 'invisible' sugar thats adulterating so much of our food today is a must. And cutting corn syrup etc too - legal controls are probably needed as well as growing levels of food testing and fines. Make company directors personally liable for damage to health and infringing standards.

» Add a new message to this topic