FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > cycling and the rules

cycling and the rules

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *etitesara OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

Little test from the MEN here

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/quiz-could-you-pass-cycling-7315073

How many can you get right? I got three wrong, the size of a fine, which type of crossing you can legally use without dismounting & the one about using a phone - which surprised me to be honest.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I can believe I got them all right. Not bragging, just saying ??

[Removed by poster at 29/06/14 17:30:16]

Same 3 wrong

rochdale

I am surprised its not a prosecutable offence to use a phone whilst cycling, not worried about getting the other two wrong as A) i don't use such crossings on a bike & B) if i get fined it doesn't really matter what the fine is, ive still got to pay it. Its knowing its an offence in itself that's important!

All 'real' cyclists know the rules of the road only apply to those that pay road tax and have insurance so I don't see the point in doing it...

"I am surprised its not a prosecutable offence to use a phone whilst cycling, not worried about getting the other two wrong as A) i don't use such crossings on a bike & B) if i get fined it doesn't really matter what the fine is, ive still got to pay it. Its knowing its an offence in itself that's important!"

The phone thing shocked me,

rochdale

Yeah, seems like an oversight in the law to me.

"All 'real' cyclists know the rules of the road only apply to those that pay road tax and have insurance so I don't see the point in doing it... "

Yep there rules are made up as they go along lol

Cyclists on country roads don't get me started!!

rochdale

"All 'real' cyclists know the rules of the road only apply to those that pay road tax and have insurance so I don't see the point in doing it... "

Hahaha.. Now waiting for the replies to this!

And so the cyclist bashing begins again

rochdale

Just been out for a quick 20+ miles (23.5) nice and quiet roads at this time, think I'll make Sunday evenings a regular slot!

That article is somewhat misleading though as the cycling proficiency test hasn't existed for years now.

"All 'real' cyclists know the rules of the road only apply to those that pay road tax and have insurance so I don't see the point in doing it...

Hahaha.. Now waiting for the replies to this!"

I figured a opre-emptive and ironic strike would save us from the inevtable bashing. I give it to 45 posts before you have to explain road tax or primary position!

As many as 45? I reckon sooner

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

3 wrong here

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I got 6 out of 13 which means I know three times as many right answers than the rules that cyclists stick to.

rochdale

"All 'real' cyclists know the rules of the road only apply to those that pay road tax and have insurance so I don't see the point in doing it...

I figured a opre-emptive and ironic strike would save us from the inevtable bashing. I give it to 45 posts before you have to explain road tax or primary position! "

I figured a opre-emptive and ironic strike would save us from the inevtable bashing. I give it to 45 posts before you have to explain road tax or primary position! "

Go on then Crytal, explain "road tax" to us all. Ta.

First rule : laugh at any cyclist wearing bollock hugging lycra shorts and a pointy helmet

"First rule : laugh at any cyclist wearing bollock hugging lycra shorts and a pointy helmet "

kin hell, ridings hard enough without getting a hardon.

"First rule : laugh at any cyclist wearing bollock hugging lycra shorts and a pointy helmet

kin hell, ridings hard enough without getting a hardon.

"

You can get stabilizers you know

Second rule: When in a car full of women, on passing a male cyclist wearing bollock hugging shorts, all near side windows to be wound down and occupants of car are to shout in very loud voices Oi Oi Sexyyyyy!!!

Hate cyclists with a passion who insist on cycling on the roads spaced out when there is a dedicated cycle path, they deserve to be hit by a car ( nothing serious) just a scrapped knee and taught a hard lesson, their putting vehicle drivers at risk under those circumstances. Lycra wearing idiots...p.s I like cycling, ON A CYCLE PATH

By *dventuroususCouple  over a year ago

sunderland

I figured a opre-emptive and ironic strike would save us from the inevtable bashing. I give it to 45 posts before you have to explain road tax or primary position!

Go on then Crytal, explain "road tax" to us all. Ta. "

no one pays road tax, myself included, it was abolished a while ago, we pay vehicle excise duty.

"Hate cyclists with a passion who insist on cycling on the roads spaced out when there is a dedicated cycle path, they deserve to be hit by a car ( nothing serious) just a scrapped knee and taught a hard lesson, their putting vehicle drivers at risk under those circumstances. Lycra wearing idiots...p.s I like cycling, ON A CYCLE PATH "

You shouldn't be driving with an attitude like that

rochdale

[Removed by poster at 30/06/14 07:18:00]

Go on then Crytal, explain "road tax" to us all. Ta.

no one pays road tax, myself included, it was abolished a while ago, we pay vehicle excise duty."

Lots of idiot motorists seem unable or unwilling to get their fossil - fueled brains round this point. Always makes me laugh that it seems okay to threaten a fellow human being with death just because they cycle.

rochdale

"Hate cyclists with a passion who insist on cycling on the roads spaced out when there is a dedicated cycle path, they deserve to be hit by a car ( nothing serious) just a scrapped knee and taught a hard lesson, their putting vehicle drivers at risk under those circumstances. Lycra wearing idiots...p.s I like cycling, ON A CYCLE PATH "

So you think its acceptable to use your vehicle as a weapon against people exercising their legal RIGHT to use the public (try to grasp that concept) roads simply because of an over-inflated sense of entitlement & bigotry?

Hand in your license and get help, you need it.

sunderland

you should not be allowed a license at all.

Although very strange, I've got no issues you wanting to hurt me for being a cyclist.

However, be a man about it and get out of your metal cage to do it and see how you get on.

"And so the cyclist bashing begins again "

only if they cycle on the roads & pavements

or forestry tracks,

or green lane walks

or ............

looks like I am the only one who agrees with you

perhaps I should throw away my license too

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

How the hell are they putting vehicle drivers at risk??? What a load of bollocks!!!

It's like tour d evesham round here at the moment, my village appears to have some great roads for time trials but it doesn't bother me. I wait fir an appropriate time to pass them that ensures it is safe fir both me and the cyclist.

Same with horses, pony and traps (we have a lot of them round here too)

If a cyclist gets hit by a car the chances of it been a scraped knee are very remote, the chances of it resulting in serious injury is more than likely,

Also cycle lanes are dangerous they just throw you out in to the road and stop without any warning, there is no thinking gone in to most cycle lanes

"Although very strange, I've got no issues you wanting to hurt me for being a cyclist.

However, be a man about it and get out of your metal cage to do it and see how you get on. "

rochdale

"Hate cyclists with a passion who insist on cycling on the roads spaced out when there is a dedicated cycle path, they deserve to be hit by a car ( nothing serious) just a scrapped knee and taught a hard lesson, their putting vehicle drivers at risk under those circumstances. Lycra wearing idiots...p.s I like cycling, ON A CYCLE PATH

How the hell are they putting vehicle drivers at risk??? What a load of bollocks!!!

It's like tour d evesham round here at the moment, my village appears to have some great roads for time trials but it doesn't bother me. I wait fir an appropriate time to pass them that ensures it is safe fir both me and the cyclist.

Same with horses, pony and traps (we have a lot of them round here too)"

Two wrong, never heard of a toucan crossing, and no idea on maximum fines. But I wasn't surprised by the mobile phone rule as it was hurriedly, and in my view wrongly brought in for car drivers when driving without due care already covers the issue. Don't know if there is a cycling without due care law.

I try and stick to the rules but sometimes for my own safety I have to break them. Driver should read the Highway Code and understand that we have as much right as them on the road

Does that mean that band A vehicle drivers who pay £0 VED can break the rules?

Does that mean that band A vehicle drivers who pay £0 VED can break the rules? "

And farm vehicles that pay £0 car tax (not road tax)

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I got 2 wrong the crossing and the penalty for dangetous cycling. I guessed thespeeding one and got it right, who would have thought we can get away with speeding.

"I got 2 wrong the crossing and the penalty for dangetous cycling. I guessed thespeeding one and got it right, who would have thought we can get away with speeding."

I always thought the rule was you could be prosecuted if you had something displaying your speed such as a GPS system, clearly I was incorrect

rochdale

I 'think' its to do with whether the vehicle has an engine of some sort. Presumably a bike doing 30+mph wasn't considered when the law was framed, clearly an oversight either way.

Do cyclist have to stop at red lights ?

"Do cyclist have to stop at red lights ?

"

Course they do, but a vast majority of those idiots don't and put other road users at risk, if they don't abide but the rules of the road they will cause injury to themselves or potentially others, if they get hurt due to their own fault so be it, they should have paid attention and I won't feel any sorrow for the idiots who jump a red light and get taken out due to their own ignorance.

Course they do, but a vast majority of those idiots don't and put other road users at risk, if they don't abide but the rules of the road they will cause injury to themselves or potentially others, if they get hurt due to their own fault so be it, they should have paid attention and I won't feel any sorrow for the idiots who jump a red light and get taken out due to their own ignorance."

I did wonder as twice today I've seen a cyclist go through one , the 2nd guy had about 4 bags full of shopping on handle bars , went from inside to outside lane then crossed back into inside lane in front of traffic that had stopped straight out onto a major roundabout and then had to stop as a car took the exit. How he never got knocked over I don't know.

Course they do, but a vast majority of those idiots don't and put other road users at risk, if they don't abide but the rules of the road they will cause injury to themselves or potentially others, if they get hurt due to their own fault so be it, they should have paid attention and I won't feel any sorrow for the idiots who jump a red light and get taken out due to their own ignorance."

Are you for real? You think the vast majority of cyclists don't stop at lights? That's a massive generalisation. I think you'll find that the minority break the rules not the majority. Still why let the truth get in the way of a good story!

By *hrissie1961Woman  over a year ago

dumfries and galloway

There should be one rule.

No bikes on public highways

How many car bus wagon motorbikes vans go through red lights in a day? I drive all day and see more motor vehicles pass through red lights than any push bikes

Course they do, but a vast majority of those idiots don't and put other road users at risk, if they don't abide but the rules of the road they will cause injury to themselves or potentially others, if they get hurt due to their own fault so be it, they should have paid attention and I won't feel any sorrow for the idiots who jump a red light and get taken out due to their own ignorance.

Are you for real? You think the vast majority of cyclists don't stop at lights? That's a massive generalisation. I think you'll find that the minority break the rules not the majority. Still why let the truth get in the way of a good story!"

To the ratio what I have encountered yes, when they do get hit by a car/lorry whatever vehicle after jumping the lights they fully deserve it and I'd feel no pity or sorrow for them

Are you for real? You think the vast majority of cyclists don't stop at lights? That's a massive generalisation. I think you'll find that the minority break the rules not the majority. Still why let the truth get in the way of a good story!"

Totally agree

Are motorists allowed to use phones when driving? Are they allowed to drive after drinking? Or taking drugs? Do they have to drive in accordance with the speed limit?

I could go on but suspect that makes my point. And I won't suggest that the majority of motorists are guilty of the above misdemeanours but I'll speculate that at least 1 of the above offences is a factor in most road deaths.

Course they do, but a vast majority of those idiots don't and put other road users at risk, if they don't abide but the rules of the road they will cause injury to themselves or potentially others, if they get hurt due to their own fault so be it, they should have paid attention and I won't feel any sorrow for the idiots who jump a red light and get taken out due to their own ignorance. How many car bus wagon motorbikes vans go through red lights in a day? I drive all day and see more motor vehicles pass through red lights than any push bikes"

In London motorists are just as bad as cyclists for jumping lights. You see so many continue through as lights change to red. And many pedestrians show a total lack of sense when crossing roads

Course they do, but a vast majority of those idiots don't and put other road users at risk, if they don't abide but the rules of the road they will cause injury to themselves or potentially others, if they get hurt due to their own fault so be it, they should have paid attention and I won't feel any sorrow for the idiots who jump a red light and get taken out due to their own ignorance. How many car bus wagon motorbikes vans go through red lights in a day? I drive all day and see more motor vehicles pass through red lights than any push bikes"

Yes of course there's more cars that jump read lights and they deserve the same treatment too, whoever uses the roads show abide by the laws set in place, that's what they are for. I wouldn't care if an idiot in a car or whatever vechicle got taken out for no abiding by those rules. I've lost friends in accidents due to other road users ignorance of the road laws, so if people are killed for jumping lights etc then so be it, they should have stopped like most of us who abide by the rules

There are good and bad cyclists and motorists.Always find this debate hilarious. .I don't believe one is worse than the other.

By *iceduoCouple (FF)  over a year ago

manchester

no such thing as road tax.. car tax does not pay for the roads.

sunderland

vast majority ?????? Really, you sir are a fine example of someone that should have a license taken away, hopefully 1 day karma will strike and take it away.

manchester

[Removed by poster at 30/06/14 17:41:40]

vast majority ?????? Really, you sir are a fine example of someone that should have a license taken away, hopefully 1 day karma will strike and take it away."

And I should have my license taken away why? For saying people should abide by the rules of the road and those that don't deserve everything that hits then?

sunderland

vast majority ?????? Really, you sir are a fine example of someone that should have a license taken away, hopefully 1 day karma will strike and take it away.

And I should have my license taken away why? For saying people should abide by the rules of the road and those that don't deserve everything that hits then?"

for been an ignorant road user, for wishing harm on other road users, and for saying you would inflict harm on other road users.

no such thing as road tax.. car tax does not pay for the roads. "

I'm probably wrong but I thought it did along with other taxes?

And I should have my license taken away why? For saying people should abide by the rules of the road and those that don't deserve everything that hits then?

for been an ignorant road user, for wishing harm on other road users, and for saying you would inflict harm on other road users."

A) I'm hardly an ignorant road user when I said people should abide by the laws and rules set in place.

B) I didnt state that I wish harm on others, I said if people don't abide by the rules they deserve everything they get.

C) I did not say I would inflict harm on others.

I'm saying whoever (vechicle/ cyclist users) who DONT NOT ABIDE BY THE RULES OF THE ROADS deserve everything they get.

sunderland

for been an ignorant road user, for wishing harm on other road users, and for saying you would inflict harm on other road users.

A) I'm hardly an ignorant road user when I said people should abide by the laws and rules set in place.

B) I didnt state that I wish harm on others, I said if people don't abide by the rules they deserve everything they get.

I'm saying whoever (vechicle/ cyclist users) who DONT NOT ABIDE BY THE RULES OF THE ROADS deserve everything they get. "

not in that post you didnt, but I read the whole post before replying to it.

I'm saying whoever (vechicle/ cyclist users) who DONT NOT ABIDE BY THE RULES OF THE ROADS deserve everything they get.

not in that post you didnt, but I read the whole post before replying to it."

Well copy and paste where I said I wish harm on others and that I would inflict harm on others too

manchester

I'm probably wrong but I thought it did along with other taxes?"

no infact no money from car tax is spent on the roads, this was originally implemented by winston churchill to ensure car drivers never thought that hey owned the roads.

no infact no money from car tax is spent on the roads, this was originally implemented by winston churchill to ensure car drivers never thought that hey owned the roads. "

Must admit I am surprised but I will take your word for it,can't be bothered to do any research on it

rochdale

I'm probably wrong but I thought it did along with other taxes?"

Council tax supported by funds from general taxation pays for the roads, which is why you get a highways maintenance breakdown in your Council Tax annual bill.

Whilst ive no doubt that 'some' of the funds from VED go towards road maintenance it also goes towards health/education/defence etc. I'm sure you get my drift..

In fact, the money raised from VED is roughly equivalent to around 2.4% of the annual road bill, it has been estimated that it doesn't even cover the wider costs of driving - public health/deaths & injuries and damage etc.

The link between car taxation & direct road funding was broken in 1937 by W.Churchill to try to prevent the attitude so prevalent today, namely that as the motorist 'thinks' he pays for the road he therefore believes he owns it.

The reality is that every working adult pays towards the roads whether they drive or not & furthermore horse riders, pedestrians & cyclists have a Statutory Right to the roads under Acts of Parliament & even International Treaty.

sunderland

hate cyclists with a passion.

deserve to be hit with a vehicle,

Deserve to be injured.

lycra wearing idiots.

would all be deemed aggressive threatening behaviour in a court of law.

Council tax supported by funds from general taxation pays for the roads, which is why you get a highways maintenance breakdown in your Council Tax annual bill.

Whilst ive no doubt that 'some' of the funds from VED go towards road maintenance it also goes towards health/education/defence etc. I'm sure you get my drift..

In fact, the money raised from VED is roughly equivalent to around 2.4% of the annual road bill, it has been estimated that it doesn't even cover the wider costs of driving - public health/deaths & injuries and damage etc.

The link between car taxation & direct road funding was broken in 1937 by W.Churchill to try to prevent the attitude so prevalent today, namely that as the motorist 'thinks' he pays for the road he therefore believes he owns it.

The reality is that every working adult pays towards the roads whether they drive or not & furthermore horse riders, pedestrians & cyclists have a Statutory Right to the roads under Acts of Parliament & even International Treaty.

"

Sounds reasonable to me

"Hate cyclists with a passion who insist on cycling on the roads spaced out when there is a dedicated cycle path, they deserve to be hit by a car ( nothing serious) just a scrapped knee and taught a hard lesson, their putting vehicle drivers at risk under those circumstances. Lycra wearing idiots...p.s I like cycling, ON A CYCLE PATH

Deserve to be injured.

lycra wearing idiots.

would all be deemed aggressive threatening behaviour in a court of law."

You still haven't showed me where I stated those "facts". I actually feel embarrassed for you that you stated that. Threatening? Where in them shallow few sentences you wrote there sounds threatening, and no my friend that would very much not stand up in a court of law. I feel sorry for you

rochdale

Deserve to be injured.

lycra wearing idiots.

You still haven't showed me where I stated those "facts". I actually feel embarrassed for you that you stated that. Threatening? Where in them shallow few sentences you wrote there sounds threatening, and no my friend that would very much not stand up in a court of law. I feel sorry for you "

You just stated your desire to injure a perfectly legal road user for no other reason than your pathetic sense of self-entitlement whilst hiding behind a keyboard. It may or may not be illegal to state that but what is beyond doubt is the obvious fact you are an unpleasant fool who should not be allowed to hold a license and should seek psychological help.

Moderators - if the above is a banning offense then so be it, but please note I am not the one publically stating a wish to inflict harm on other people because of some strange delusion.

manchester

Deserve to be injured.

lycra wearing idiots.

You still haven't showed me where I stated those "facts". I actually feel embarrassed for you that you stated that. Threatening? Where in them shallow few sentences you wrote there sounds threatening, and no my friend that would very much not stand up in a court of law. I feel sorry for you

You just stated your desire to injure a perfectly legal road user for no other reason than your pathetic sense of self-entitlement whilst hiding behind a keyboard. It may or may not be illegal to state that but what is beyond doubt is the obvious fact you are an unpleasant fool who should not be allowed to hold a license and should seek psychological help.

Moderators - if the above is a banning offense then so be it, but please note I am not the one publically stating a wish to inflict harm on other people because of some strange delusion."

If he were to kill someone in his car to day and this was read out in court he would be fucked....

sunderland

Deserve to be injured.

lycra wearing idiots.

You still haven't showed me where I stated those "facts". I actually feel embarrassed for you that you stated that. Threatening? Where in them shallow few sentences you wrote there sounds threatening, and no my friend that would very much not stand up in a court of law. I feel sorry for you "

you are now trying to tell me my job, that statement you made would 100% stand up in a court of law as aggressive threatening behaviour, please do not try to tell me what I do everyday in my life, the tone of the post counts for a lot aswell, and please dont feel sorry for me, I dont want or need your sympathy, give it to the next cyclist you hit with your car.

Deserve to be injured.

lycra wearing idiots.

you are now trying to tell me my job, that statement you made would 100% stand up in a court of law as aggressive threatening behaviour, please do not try to tell me what I do everyday in my life, the tone of the post counts for a lot aswell, and please dont feel sorry for me, I dont want or need your sympathy, give it to the next cyclist you hit with your car."

Please tell me you don't work within the justice system? You would know this would not 100% stand up in a court of law as aggressive threatening behaviour, wow I'm actually gobsmacked that you believe that, well saying that your probably the tea lady or cleaner if your thinking like that, I'm literally launching so thanks for that atleast, I've heard it all now

sunderland

Deserve to be injured.

lycra wearing idiots.

you are now trying to tell me my job, that statement you made would 100% stand up in a court of law as aggressive threatening behaviour, please do not try to tell me what I do everyday in my life, the tone of the post counts for a lot aswell, and please dont feel sorry for me, I dont want or need your sympathy, give it to the next cyclist you hit with your car.

Please tell me you don't work within the justice system? You would know this would not 100% stand up in a court of law as aggressive threatening behaviour, wow I'm actually gobsmacked that you believe that, well saying that your probably the tea lady or cleaner if your thinking like that, I'm literally launching so thanks for that atleast, I've heard it all now"

oh dear petty childish insults now.

sunderland

Deserve to be injured.

lycra wearing idiots.

Moderators - if the above is a banning offense then so be it, but please note I am not the one publically stating a wish to inflict harm on other people because of some strange delusion."

it is threatening aggressive behaviour, something he fails to understand.

manchester

Deserve to be injured.

lycra wearing idiots.

Please tell me you don't work within the justice system? You would know this would not 100% stand up in a court of law as aggressive threatening behaviour, wow I'm actually gobsmacked that you believe that, well saying that your probably the tea lady or cleaner if your thinking like that, I'm literally launching so thanks for that atleast, I've heard it all now"

yea mate im sure the court would take no account of online threats..

Deserve to be injured.

lycra wearing idiots.

Please tell me you don't work within the justice system? You would know this would not 100% stand up in a court of law as aggressive threatening behaviour, wow I'm actually gobsmacked that you believe that, well saying that your probably the tea lady or cleaner if your thinking like that, I'm literally launching so thanks for that atleast, I've heard it all now

yea mate im sure the court would take no account of online threats.. "

Yea "MATE" they would indeed, but they would have to find the "THREATS" first, and I'm sure there is no threat made by me to other road users. Plucking at thin air now you are.

sunderland

Deserve to be injured.

lycra wearing idiots.

yea mate im sure the court would take no account of online threats.. "

in many cases they do take into account text messages and online threats, facebook, twitter, many other forums and chatrooms dont think this one is exempt, didnt think people were so ignorant to the practices of law.

"yea mate im sure the court would take no account of online threats.. "

Actually they are non specific and any court would take no more notice of them than trying someone for murder based on a posted comment of "I would kill for an ice cream right now"

However this silly argument has spoiled a rather nice thread. Please all, play nice! aggressive cyclists are just as annoying as aggressive motorists.

[Removed by poster at 30/06/14 18:54:55]

sunderland

"yea mate im sure the court would take no account of online threats..

Actually they are non specific and any court would take no more notice of them than trying someone for murder based on a posted comment of "I would kill for an ice cream right now"

However this silly argument has spoiled a rather nice thread. Please all, play nice! aggressive cyclists are just as annoying as aggressive motorists."

yes they are non specific, but if he was stood in a case against a cyclist as he had tried successfully or not to knock said cyclist off there bike, then those comments would be taken and used as threatening aggressive behaviour, theres a difference, something ive tried explaining but he cant get it.

no such thing as road tax.. car tax does not pay for the roads. "

In case the and didn't give it away, 2wheels wrote that post with tongue firmly in cheek. Plus the name 2wheels might give a suggestion to his preferred mode of transport!

crystal

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Ive removed posts. You cant put those links in the forum and can you refrain from the personal digs please. Thanks.

By *igshoeMan  over a year ago

camberley

This appears to be a very devisive and contentious issue and i am prepared to be lynched for saying this... I think cyclists should be asked for some form of v.e.d contribution ( albeit at a lower rate than for cars). My reasoning behind this is that as more people are prevented from driving by prohibitivly high costs the goverment will have to find the shortfall in taxes from somewhere, and as the road will belong to the cyclists by then why not. Another thought which will go down like a lead zeppellin is make cyclists pay for insurance that way the nhs is not hit for their (non car related) accident costs. Which as pedal bike speeds are now aproaching those of slow moving cars are becoming more expensive and serious.

Can i put the blindfold on before i am shot please

"This appears to be a very devisive and contentious issue and i am prepared to be lynched for saying this... I think cyclists should be asked for some form of v.e.d contribution ( albeit at a lower rate than for cars). My reasoning behind this is that as more people are prevented from driving by prohibitivly high costs the goverment will have to find the shortfall in taxes from somewhere, and as the road will belong to the cyclists by then why not. Another thought which will go down like a lead zeppellin is make cyclists pay for insurance that way the nhs is not hit for their (non car related) accident costs. Which as pedal bike speeds are now aproaching those of slow moving cars are becoming more expensive and serious.

Can i put the blindfold on before i am shot please "

What if you do both?

manchester

"This appears to be a very devisive and contentious issue and i am prepared to be lynched for saying this... I think cyclists should be asked for some form of v.e.d contribution ( albeit at a lower rate than for cars). My reasoning behind this is that as more people are prevented from driving by prohibitivly high costs the goverment will have to find the shortfall in taxes from somewhere, and as the road will belong to the cyclists by then why not. Another thought which will go down like a lead zeppellin is make cyclists pay for insurance that way the nhs is not hit for their (non car related) accident costs. Which as pedal bike speeds are now aproaching those of slow moving cars are becoming more expensive and serious.

must resit...............

sunderland

the thing is vehicle excise duty is based on emissions that are given off by the motor, as a pedal emits none its immune to the duty, however somesort of insurance may not be a bad idea.

I've just been looking threw some old threads and someone one saying it is legal cycle on the path if safe to do so, think he needs to do this test

the thing is vehicle excise duty is based on emissions that are given off by the motor, as a pedal emits none its immune to the duty, however somesort of insurance may not be a bad idea."

I've always thought that they should have some kind of registration plate on them.So they can be identified better incase of dangerous/careless riding etc.

Great idea about paying for NHS treatment. I mean lets ignore the proven health benefits.

Your logic that cyclists should pay NHS costs excluding incidents including cars lacks any logic at all. And what about A&E departments full of amateur football and rugby players on a weekend - should they pay?

Great idea about paying for NHS treatment. I mean lets ignore the proven health benefits.

Your logic that cyclists should pay NHS costs excluding incidents including cars lacks any logic at all. And what about A&E departments full of amateur football and rugby players on a weekend - should they pay?"

And smokers and drinkers and drug addicts and obese people? All to blame for there own ill health should they pay?

Your logic that cyclists should pay NHS costs excluding incidents including cars lacks any logic at all. And what about A&E departments full of amateur football and rugby players on a weekend - should they pay?

And smokers and drinkers and drug addicts and obese people? All to blame for there own ill health should they pay? "

Be a bit expensive if you were a fat drug abusing smoker who cycled to and from his amateur football and rugby games.

And smokers and drinkers and drug addicts and obese people? All to blame for there own ill health should they pay?

Be a bit expensive if you were a fat drug abusing smoker who cycled to and from his amateur football and rugby games. "

That's twice tonight you have made me

Be a bit expensive if you were a fat drug abusing smoker who cycled to and from his amateur football and rugby games.

That's twice tonight you have made me "

Never done it twice in one night before

No registration plates no need for special health insurance we all pay towards the NHS for it to be there, but some insurance may be advisable for third party claims. Cyclists can cause damage too.

rochdale

"No registration plates no need for special health insurance we all pay towards the NHS for it to be there, but some insurance may be advisable for third party claims. Cyclists can cause damage too."

Pretty much all of us who have a mortgage have public liability insurance, mine covers me up to £5 million. Also, membership of the Cyclists Touring Club (CTC) or British Cycling also brings public liability insurance, CTC brings £10 million-worth of cover I believe with the membership fee of £34 per yr.

I think the fact that these policies exist for basically peanuts shows how few claims there are against cyclists in reality.

I was talking to a chap on a ride last week who had once hit a parked car through not looking properly - all sorted out on his household insurance/mortgage policy.

For those who would wish cyclists to pay some form of tax to use the road - be careful what you wish for.

As cycles are non-emitting vehicles then the only way to tax would be to tax them on weight, so lets say £5 per Kilogram. That would mean my road bike would cost me circa £35 per yr.

Now, to be fair we would have to expand that to motor vehicles.

Anyone fancy paying £5 per kilogram for a 10'000 kilogram car? A snip at £50'000 per year...

Children ride bikes to. Who's going to insure little Johnny? I think a lot of people on here either have short memories or they are just bitter because they never got a bike for christmas as a kid.

"Children ride bikes to. Who's going to insure little Johnny? I think a lot of people on here either have short memories or they are just bitter because they never got a bike for christmas as a kid.

"

As above, if their parents are home owners you may get your compensation by suing them and take it out of the house value so they will have cover, if not then stuff you can't get money where there is none!

» Add a new message to this topic