FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Goaline technology??

Goaline technology??

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

All this talk of England's goal-that-never-was and how it may have prevented our exit had it not been disallowed has got me thinking about Fifa's stance on goaline technology, and technology in football in general.

It seems to me that Fifa are being very inconsistent when it comes to technology.

On the one hand they are saying: We do not support use of goaline technology and prefer to uphold the referee's decsion on goalmouth incidents. Yet on the other hand, Fifa will use - and have used in the past - video evidence to support allegations of serious misconduct of players whilst on the pitch. Bans have been increased due to video evidence and, in the most famous case involving Eric Cantona and a certain Crystal Palace fan, video evidence determined the extent of Canton'a offence and a lengthy 9-month ban was the outcome of that.

Fifa also permit advanced technology to be used in the development of tournament footballs (which they completely screwed up for this tournament) yet steadfastedly refuse to allow some form of technology to be used to determine the most important aspect in football - whether the ball crossed the line or not, which, to my mind, is the entire point of 22 men kicking a ball about for 90 minutes.

If they won't allow goalline technology then why not use video evidence to playback at a half time to review first half incidents and amend the score before the 2nd half begins, or at the end of the game for 2nd half incidents and amend the result accordingly.

I know people will argue that what if it's 2-2 and video evidence reduces that score to 2-1 or to 3-2, and my answer to that would be: That would be the TRUE score anyway, if a goal is valid, or indeed, invalid.

Who wants to win unfairly.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *prite128Woman  over a year ago

maidstone

wishy that is almost exactly the conversation a few of my friends and I had on sunday... that they use video evidence to change decisions on violent conduct so its inconsistent not to use it for major incidents like a disallowed goal, wrongful red card etc.

other sports seem to have incorporated it so why not football ?

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I was listening to some of the debates on the telly and some old geezer pointed out that many moons ago before goals had nets (they were just two poles with a tape tied across the top)… they use to have an official sitting next to the goal who made the call whether the ball had actually passed between the posts and under the tape…. not rocket science is it.

By *uton_coupleCouple  over a year ago

luton

"I was listening to some of the debates on the telly and some old geezer pointed out that many moons ago before goals had nets (they were just two poles with a tape tied across the top)… they use to have an official sitting next to the goal who made the call whether the ball had actually passed between the posts and under the tape…. not rocket science is it."

when i as a youngster we just used to put our jumpers on the ground as goal posts

seriously though ...... there is only one objective in football and that is to score a goal , and to not have some technology to see if its a goal or not is just bonkers nutty

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Think his reluctance to introduce goal line technology, is because it would be unfair on teams who have no video to look back on, why should some games/teams have different rules and get out clauses when others don’t, would be too expensive to implement for smaller clubs who don’t get tv coverage, never mind have the money to spend on new technology, and only using it at big matches would be a concern, it would not be fair and would look like the bigger/better teams were getting preferential treatment.

Having said all that, having an official standing behind the goals in every football match might be an easier and a fairer system to implement.

Hmmmmm, I wonder if this debate would still be raging if the situation had been reversed?!!

Seems like a whole bunch of coulda, woulda, shoulda to me!

the goal line tech being discussed is not just video though, they can use a sensor in the ball that registers when it passes the goal line

By *lassic1Man  over a year ago

bellshill

"the goal line tech being discussed is not just video though, they can use a sensor in the ball that registers when it passes the goal line"

Its a bit like police speed camera's....a flawed technology if your care to challenge it enough ( if you have plenty money you can get awy with it)

To me theanswer is simple ...another two officials behind each goal would not only prove the ball position but woul sort out all the blind side jersey pulling as well.

The extra few quid cost is insignificant in the face of the match over all cost and revenue.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I agree. The simplest solution is to use extra referee's assistants on each goaline, which, as you say, would serve to police off the ball incidents as well as determine goal-mouth controversies.

By *he BananamanMan  over a year ago

WORCESTERSHIRE

the argument has been going on now for many a year ever since more money came in to fotball and it became big business and not so much "mere sport".

many jobs are lost because of decisions like the calamities on sunday,in our own fotball leagues jobs depending on the referees decision for relegation and promotion can mean the loss of groundsmams jobs,cleaners,all manner of lifes depend on it and it should be implemented.

sepp blatter though is a little dictator and is never ever wrong in his own little bubble of a world and will not even discus the prospect of goal line technology even though

there is a world wide call for the introduction.

By *INKKKYMan  over a year ago

LIVERPOOL/ WIRRAL

Football should never allow this to happen, its why its the most popular sport in everyway on the plantet.. the discusion,the debate,the public love it... it will be a sad day for football once its introduced i feel, no more debate? seriously think about it...Were do you stop? It wont stop at just goal decisions,it will soon be off-side calls, hand ball calls,throw ins? Games will decend into a stop-start farce with-in 30/40yrs, i hope they just leave it the way it is,im sure in this case the saying ''Be careful wot you wish for!' is the case here,every team/fan has benefitted from referee error so it evens itself out over time.

"All this talk of England's goal-that-never-was and how it may have prevented our exit had it not been disallowed has got me thinking about Fifa's stance on goaline technology, and technology in football in general.

It seems to me that Fifa are being very inconsistent when it comes to technology.

On the one hand they are saying: We do not support use of goaline technology and prefer to uphold the referee's decsion on goalmouth incidents. Yet on the other hand, Fifa will use - and have used in the past - video evidence to support allegations of serious misconduct of players whilst on the pitch. Bans have been increased due to video evidence and, in the most famous case involving Eric Cantona and a certain Crystal Palace fan, video evidence determined the extent of Canton'a offence and a lengthy 9-month ban was the outcome of that.

Fifa also permit advanced technology to be used in the development of tournament footballs (which they completely screwed up for this tournament) yet steadfastedly refuse to allow some form of technology to be used to determine the most important aspect in football - whether the ball crossed the line or not, which, to my mind, is the entire point of 22 men kicking a ball about for 90 minutes.

If they won't allow goalline technology then why not use video evidence to playback at a half time to review first half incidents and amend the score before the 2nd half begins, or at the end of the game for 2nd half incidents and amend the result accordingly.

I know people will argue that what if it's 2-2 and video evidence reduces that score to 2-1 or to 3-2, and my answer to that would be: That would be the TRUE score anyway, if a goal is valid, or indeed, invalid.

Who wants to win unfairly."

LOL amend the score ? aweful ! If a throw in is given the wrong way and the team run the length of the field 2 score do we amend the score at half time ?What if after the said goal there are 1 or 2 other incidents that could change the out come of the goal being scored or not?

back 2 yes it was no it was'nt

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Would it be too much if there were red flashing lights across the top bar, a siren and a tickertape explosion triggered by a ball sensor as it crosses the line?

By *he BananamanMan  over a year ago

WORCESTERSHIRE

the technology hardly affects the flow of the game of rugby now does it?,the speed at which the technology works is incredible so the game is not exactly stopped at all!,the "goal" on sunday was replayed in the tv studio within seconds of it crossing the line and so an official could relay the findings to the referee with hardly a break at all in the play!,there is so much money invested in the game with the tv rights,kit manufactureres,various industries sponsor teams world wide and not just here in uk that they all deserve the very best in return for the investment!.

Forum Mod

I think its outrageous that we don't use the technology in cases like this

Thinking about it though the only technology required on sunday was a pair of bloody eyes,it was'nt as if it was so close to the line it was a tough call,it was at least a foot over the line

Too late now but if I was the captain I would have sat down on the pitch with all my team and refused to play on hahahahaha

They should definitely introduce some sort of goal line technology which can sense the ball crossing the line. As we have had the introduction of the TMO in rugby for some years now but it has unfortunately led to the referee and touch judges being too frightened to make any decisions for themselves and is massively over used which slows the game down. But simple goal line technology wouldnt have this effect and wouldnt allow for wrong calls like the one on sunday. Its no different to having the sensors on the nets at wimbledon. But i do not for one minute think that if that goal had been given england would have won,they were shit and deserved to not win as they were so bad.

» Add a new message to this topic