FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Traffic Shaping ???

Traffic Shaping ???

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Apparently we are being 'shaped'

Good job I have a clever son who is at this moment giving BT a good talking too !!!

x Raz x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

How do you shape traffic?

No idea, but BT are doing it to me and its restricting my UNLIMITED broadband !!!!!

x Raz x

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

"No idea, but BT are doing it to me and its restricting my UNLIMITED broadband !!!!!

x Raz x"

Ahhh usage capping at busy times. I found they stopped being arsy with me once my "must stop with them" period was over. you must be using a bit though as i will pop through 120gb a month and don't get any grief.

Apparently the limit on our UNLIMITED broadband is about 100gb.

Used mostly I assume by my son watching iplayer etc most of the night ???

Oh well it seems BT aren't used to speaking to geeks who actually know what they are talking about and are giving him the runaround lol - I wish them luck my boy has his mothers gift of the gab, and won't let go till it breaks lol

x Raz x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

traffic shaping - the practice of prioritising one type of internet traffic over another.

BT and it's ISP, PlusNet, have been practising traffic shaping for some time. It allows them to increase traffic from normal HTTP ports (typically port 80 - which is what you and I use to surf the web) during peak times whilst decreasing traffic on P2P networks (file sharing/dedicated servers etc). It also allows them to advertised higher speed products by massaging the network overall capacity.

It's not illegal but very dubious, particularly if you are a subscriber to the high-end 20mb/sec speeds, where you will typically see an average of 14mb/sec during peak evening hours.

I see ????????

lol

All I know is they have restricted our usage to 10% for the next month so I've told him I'll pay them 10% of their fee for the next month !!!!!

x Raz x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I see ????????

lol

All I know is they have restricted our usage to 10% for the next month so I've told him I'll pay them 10% of their fee for the next month !!!!!

x Raz x

"

The one word that BT hate to hear is 'Virgin' - try it. See how fast they bend over backwards for you. And it works the other way too, Virgin hate hearing 'BT'.

Will pass the message on - thank you x

» Add a new message to this topic