FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > New life!

New life!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

This is going to be a strange topic for the forums I guess but I'm open to all advice at the moment.

So I've been living in Birmingham pretty much all my life now I want to move down to Portsmouth because of friends and a fresh start. However finding a decent job that can bring the income I need to survive seems pretty difficult also along with somewhere to live my mind is a bit fearful.

Has anyone got some advice. Or experiences about moving away which may help me out?

Thank you

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

If your any good at any sport get yourself into a club asap as it will being you a whole new circle of friends

"If your any good at any sport get yourself into a club asap as it will being you a whole new circle of friends"

Don't get me wrong I have friends aha. Not lonely or anything. Just really need a new start somewhere that isn't as depressing as Birmingham.

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

oh

Ok, well, good luck with the move

"oh

Ok, well, good luck with the move "

Cheers

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

See about renting a room in a house share for the first six months

Leave your present job in good terms, so if it don't work out you can always go back

Call some temp agency's in the area, this will give you time to look for something permenant

Get your cv up to date and in a file ready to email to prospective employers and a couple of hard copies just in case

Think if there is a business that you could set up there, it might be a viable option.

All the best buddy, birmingham a loss

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I think it's an excellent idea. the advice given is good, uptodate cv and start contacting companies and organizations before you leave, room in shared house is cheap via uni noticeboards, living by the sea is very energizing. Well done you

Thanks for the awesome advice. Having a look now aha

I made a big move from South of England to Northern Ireland almost 10 years ago, thought at first I was making a massive mistake buy turned out to be the best thing I ever done. Difference for me was that I was moving towards family and was able to transfer my job. My advice is think about it long and hard, do it for the right reasons for you, and don't cut all toes with your old life straight away so you have a cooling off period if you want to go back again.

Good luck no matter what you decide

I left Birmingham several years ago for London and have never regretted it. I had a floor to sleep on rent free on the short term and enough cash to survive a few months. I did it before the worst of the recession though amd when temp work was more plentiful. I also had a varied skill set and was happy to do pretty crap work to keep money coming in.

I would consider when you move, you'll likely struggle for work in January. Also study the job market before you go, if it's slow then reconsider. Agencies probably won't touch you until you are living locally but hammer them with your CV once you move, agencies will be keen to take you on as your circumstances suggest you'll be dependable.

Hope that helps

Back in 2008 I moved from Kent to Shropshire! No planned job to go too and no where to live! Clothes in a black bag job!

I was lucky though as I had family up there where I could stay till I sorted myself out, I am pretty multi skilled so finding a job wasn't to bad as I don't really mind what I did as long as I was earning money!

Talk to your mates down there, ask them to put the feelers out for any jobs and cheap digs whilst you get yourself sorted out.

Good luck

» Add a new message to this topic