FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > a question about black friday

a question about black friday

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

How long has this been around ? Why did it start and why is it called black Friday ? This question might seem odd . But i have a feeling i haven't heard of it because i don't own a TV .

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"How long has this been around ? Why did it start and why is it called black Friday ? This question might seem odd . But i have a feeling i haven't heard of it because i don't own a TV . "

I bet you say that to all the TV licensing blokes.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

It's an American tradition. It's the Friday after Thanksgiving (which was yesterday). It's called Black Friday as it's the day (in American retail) when shops don't trade at any loss and go into the black.

It's a recent import here brought over by Asda (owned by WalMart) and the internet.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's the pre-Christmas sales. America call it black Friday for some reason I can't be bothered to Google so,as usual,we latched onto it to get people to spend money

Lol . Really,i don't have a tv and haven't for over 10 years chap . I would love a tv license person to come and see me . Not sure there are many people that don't have a tv . But I'm one of them . Anyhow . What the feck is black Friday ?

It's the day when the website you wanted to look at won't work. And all the car parks in town are full.

"It's the pre-Christmas sales. America call it black Friday for some reason I can't be bothered to Google so,as usual,we latched onto it to get people to spend money "

aaah ! I thought as much . Why o why do people put so much pressure on themselves at this time of year . The older i get the more i duck hate it and what it dose to people . .

Bollocks to it all , i say !

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Lol . Really,i don't have a tv and haven't for over 10 years chap . I would love a tv license person to come and see me . Not sure there are many people that don't have a tv . But I'm one of them . Anyhow . What the feck is black Friday ? "

I posted the answer above.

It was the last Friday before Christmas or your last work day as far I new

Everyone on their works night out,

But this year

"It's the pre-Christmas sales. America call it black Friday for some reason I can't be bothered to Google so,as usual,we latched onto it to get people to spend money

aaah ! I thought as much . Why o why do people put so much pressure on themselves at this time of year . The older i get the more i duck hate it and what it dose to people . .

Bollocks to it all , i say ! "

In some parts of London it was like the riots. People were even looting according to the news item I saw. Madness

Yes its weird as we have been messaged by 15 BBC guys today...hence the name black friday

Blah blah blah ..

Would rather be here on the forums than near any shopping centre in any town/city in the uk..

Its madness

Maybe that's why its called black Friday . I don't do anything for Christmas. No cards , presents, nothing . I do cook myself a roast buck on the day . But other than that . Nothing. Its great not to have to run round like a complete twat ,spending money i don't have on stuff people don't really want or need . How about you ? It is quite easy for me to take this line , i don't have children and my family aren't that hot on Christmas anyhow . Xx

By *eMontresMan  over a year ago

Halesowen

It originated as a generic term to describe a stock market crash in the US, and has been around since the 1800s. Steeley Dan wrote an eponymous track - forget which album.

It was later attached to the thanksgiving thing in the US, and then picked up on by the UK a decade or so ago.

"Maybe that's why its called black Friday . I don't do anything for Christmas. No cards , presents, nothing . I do cook myself a roast buck on the day . But other than that . Nothing. Its great not to have to run round like a complete twat ,spending money i don't have on stuff people don't really want or need . How about you ? It is quite easy for me to take this line , i don't have children and my family aren't that hot on Christmas anyhow . Xx"

Think u should change yer name to scrooge lol

Lol . Or the devil

"Yes its weird as we have been messaged by 15 BBC guys today...hence the name black friday "

"Yes its weird as we have been messaged by 15 BBC guys today...hence the name black friday "

Lucky you

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Already threads running on this so Im closing this one sorry