FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > End of the three point turn in driving tests

End of the three point turn in driving tests

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The three-point turn could be dropped from the UK driving test as part of biggest update to the exam in 20 years.

Under a revised practical exam, learners may also be asked to use a satellite navigation system instead of following road signs.

About 1,000 learners will take part in a trial of a new practical exam.

The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency said any eventual changes would be subject to full public consultation.

"We are carrying out initial research to explore how the driving test could better reflect real-life driving."

Have they gone mad? Don't people need to turn their cars round any more? As it is some drivers do a 9 point turn ! Plus, surely following road signs makes sense - I don't have a sat nav and would everyone taking their test? Makes no sense to me!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What does a driving test prove anyway other than you can drive safely for approx. 30 minutes then like a fffing idiot for the next 50 years.

How many people do we see these days that will not give way to cars on a roundabout, the shits have the audacity to pull out in front of you and put up an apologetic hand to say sorry which they are not, longer bans for those that flout the law should be used.

And now im in rant mode lol much is made of people who speed but what about the twats that always drive 10 to 20 MPH below the national speed limit, part of the current test is that you can drive to the standard sped limits Police should pull these idiots over as they cause more accidents than any speeding car, and relax

They should have got rid of reversing round a corner.

Failed twice on that.

Still shite at it now

It's much safer for me to drive round the block

"They should have got rid of reversing round a corner.

Failed twice on that.

Still shite at it now

It's much safer for me to drive round the block "

By *eMontresMan  over a year ago

Halesowen

I heard this and thought "how mad is that?" So, dispense with some essential basic manoeuvrability testing, and replace it with using a gadget whilst driving, at the expense of being able to follow road signs - which moron(s) thought that load of bollocks up ffs!

"What does a driving test prove anyway other than you can drive safely for approx. 30 minutes then like a fffing idiot for the next 50 years.

How many people do we see these days that will not give way to cars on a roundabout, the shits have the audacity to pull out in front of you and put up an apologetic hand to say sorry which they are not, longer bans for those that flout the law should be used.

And now im in rant mode lol much is made of people who speed but what about the twats that always drive 10 to 20 MPH below the national speed limit, part of the current test is that you can drive to the standard sped limits Police should pull these idiots over as they cause more accidents than any speeding car, and relax "

Do you feel better now you've got that off your chest ? Made me laugh!

Hehe hey tell me when your on road I will give you my number

"What does a driving test prove anyway other than you can drive safely for approx. 30 minutes then like a fffing idiot for the next 50 years.

And now im in rant mode lol much is made of people who speed but what about the twats that always drive 10 to 20 MPH below the national speed limit, part of the current test is that you can drive to the standard sped limits Police should pull these idiots over as they cause more accidents than any speeding car, and relax

Do you feel better now you've got that off your chest ? Made me laugh! "

yes thanks I'm in bed ask me when I've returned home after driving GRRRRR

I'm learning now, nearly test ready. Reversing round corner needs to go.. In real life nobody hugs the kerb.. . Pointless.

And the theory test is just a money spinner...

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"Under a revised practical exam, learners may also be asked to use a satellite navigation system instead of following road signs."

What happens if the sat nav is out of date? Aren't some sings kind of important? Like 'no entry', 'diversion', and 'slow: accident'.

Seeing potential disaster in that one.

Halesowen

All the current manoeuvring skills need to stay. First and foremost, people need to be able to control the vehicle safely and effectively.

Just because it might need a bit of practise to get to an acceptable standard, doesn't mean it should be dropped IMHO

It's called 'turn in the road' not 3 point as you can take as long as you feel necessary

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Cars will be driverless in 15 to 20 years, hopefully this will save lots of lives by taking idiots away from the controls.

Halesowen

Yeah - even that's been dumbed down. When I took my test, you had to do it in 3 - hence the old term

"It's called 'turn in the road' not 3 point as you can take as long as you feel necessary "

And in my time , I've seen some take lots of turns !

Or in girls cases 7 point!

"Or in girls cases 7 point! "

Better than 8 for most gents !

I think they should introduce regular tests even for those who have passed...If you look in your working life you train and train..If u have eye tests they are regular...would stop people driving poorly. I for myself admit that I hardly ever reverse park between two cars mainly because I haven't done it since my test 10 years ago...i just think people would have better skills at driving if regular tests were done say every few years...just my opinon

providing its done carefully i dont care how many attempts it takes to complete a 'turn in the road'..

By *mm_n_ZedCouple  over a year ago

Fareham

"Yeah - even that's been dumbed down. When I took my test, you had to do it in 3 - hence the old term"

When did you take your test? I did mine 28 years ago and the instruction was 'turn the vehicle to face the opposite direction using the forward and reverse gears'. No mention of doing it in 3 manoeuvres... 3 was just the ideal.

I got turn in the road for my maneuver in my test.. The road was so wide I literally just locked the wheel all the way round and did a U turn! Instructor just laughed and said well done

By *eep_Calm_andMan  over a year ago

milton keynes

It's ridiculous but as some one mentioned on here earlier cars will be driverless in the future, with all the driving aids that are fitted on modern cars it's not surprising,

Shite! Turn in the road is the only manoeuvre I can actually do. Reversing round a corner should be dropped...no one does that. If I was a driver I'd just drive round the block instead.

Halesowen

"Yeah - even that's been dumbed down. When I took my test, you had to do it in 3 - hence the old term

When did you take your test? I did mine 28 years ago and the instruction was 'turn the vehicle to face the opposite direction using the forward and reverse gears'. No mention of doing it in 3 manoeuvres... 3 was just the ideal."

yeah I think you're probably right on that - it was over 30 years ago

As I recall, perceived wisdom at the time, was that the examiner would expect you to do it in 3 if, in the opinion of the examiner, the road was wide enough.

In those days, they didn't have any formal scoring system, minors, majors etc, they made just made a few notes, ticked a few boxes and you passed or failed based largely on their overall impression, though things like crashes, mounting the kerb etc, were automatic failure.

Halesowen

"Shite! Turn in the road is the only manoeuvre I can actually do. Reversing round a corner should be dropped...no one does that. If I was a driver I'd just drive round the block instead. "

So you turn into a road and it's blocked by an accident or somesuch. The police direct you to reverse out back into the road you turned in from - what do you do?

"Shite! Turn in the road is the only manoeuvre I can actually do. Reversing round a corner should be dropped...no one does that. If I was a driver I'd just drive round the block instead.

So you turn into a road and it's blocked by an accident or somesuch. The police direct you to reverse out back into the road you turned in from - what do you do?"

Ask the copper to do it for them haha

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

"Shite! Turn in the road is the only manoeuvre I can actually do. Reversing round a corner should be dropped...no one does that. If I was a driver I'd just drive round the block instead. "

but you actually use that method when reversing into your drive or reversing into a parking space between cars

id probably get annoyed with the tech driving itself and turn it off

By *amslam1000Man  over a year ago

willenhall

when stationed in Cyprus my then mrs took her test lasted 30 mins 15 of which were in th office doing "road signs" (actually the examiner was on the phone ordering coffee) passed and got a certificate sent off to DVLA and got a full uk liscence YAY eurozone!!

By *xpresMan  over a year ago

Elland

I have passed 4 different driving tests plus advanced drivers course. I am a drivers assessor for my company yet I know no matter how good I am there are over a million others who can't use mirrors don't know the basics in getting from AtoB I put my life in others hands every time I get behind the wheel Thats Scarey

Halesowen

"I have passed 4 different driving tests plus advanced drivers course. I am a drivers assessor for my company yet I know no matter how good I am there are over a million others who can't use mirrors don't know the basics in getting from AtoB I put my life in others hands every time I get behind the wheel Thats Scarey"

What do they teach these days about mirrors? I took my first test in Canada, and though I never took a professional lesson, their manuals stated that you should rear view, signal, shoulder check before manoeuvre.

I had a minor moment a couple of years back when merging at speed, and had become too reliant on rear view and door mirrors. Every vehicle has a blind spot(s). I'm now much more diligent in shoulder checking before each lane change.

Like mentioned above I also have passed 4 driving tests and am now cringing at some of the replies in here.

I live in a private road that some use for turning. My door opens out onto the street, I have had to replace my doorstep and several plant pots as in the past month I've counted 6 drivers mount the kerb and hit my doorstep

Which is situated 5ft away from the road.

I regularly turn a Transit van in a full lock without having to use reverse gear at all, if the road is wide enough to turn a long wheel based van how come some folks cannot turn a Renault Clio in the same space

Sat Nav so your driving along a country road and you take your eyes off the road to check where you are I the Sat Nav, you are not driving with the correct care and attention to the road ie reckless driving I say bin the fuckers nothing beats pre planning your route

Also mirrors. I was taught to check all mirrors every 8 seconds.

Shoulder checking

This is drummed into you constantly when driving a motor cycle yet car drivers ignore it completely

By *tevelizCouple  over a year ago

northampton

there never was a 3 point turn in the test. The instruction was to turn the car using forward and reverse gears. Most of the time that can be done as a 3 point turn.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's a valid skill to have mastered so it's something I'd complain about in the consultation. As roads get busier, beuming able to manoeuvre away from blocks etc, without major inconvenience to oncoming traffic is needed. I've seen people all hot and bothered as ymthey can only point and shoot a car forwards.

And satnav is not for basic driving competency. Road signs may supersede satnavs, on diversions, blocks etc. Blindly following a sat nav requires mastery of driving skills first.

We won't get bad drivers stopped and ticketed etc whilst the ConDems have cut their numbers.

Frequent driving tests are needed, with increasing standard pass level requirements. And international visitors need testing too, if they live here. I'd be ok with that if moving abroad.

Reversing is very important,I had to reverse park a large van into a parking space recently. Spacial awareness and use of mirrors is very important

"It's called 'turn in the road' not 3 point as you can take as long as you feel necessary "

Add to the fact some cars can't do it in three points. Mine has the low speed turning circle of an oil tanker!.....

By *icentiousCouple  over a year ago

Up on them there hills

I've had to do more 3 point turns because of the Sat Nav

From what was reported on the radio it's not just use of a satnav that's being considered.

They are also thinking of including how to turn on heated rear windows!!

Is it just me, I'd have thought familiarise yourself with your car after you've sorted the basics of driving first!

Halesowen

I'd say you should be familiar with all the essential controls, lights, demister, hazards, indicators, washer, wipers etc, before you even attempt to drive a vehicle.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

they should teach them all to use there indicators properly especialy those that aspire to but large german cars on passing

"they should teach them all to use there indicators properly especialy those that aspire to but large german cars on passing

"

They do but clearly to some, flicking an indicator on with one finger is way too much effort!

"Shoulder checking

This is drummed into you constantly when driving a motor cycle yet car drivers ignore it completely

"

I've always shoulder checked , Even more so, since a nasty accident when a Spanish lorry driver didn't do that, said I was in his blind spot and wrote my car off ! I'm really wary now when passing lorries on the motorway especially left hand drive ones.

» Add a new message to this topic