FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > what is the government doing with our money?

what is the government doing with our money?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *couser83 OP   Man  over a year ago

Liverpool

I have just seen the news about a 16 year old mental health child having to spend two days in a police cell because a bed couldn't be found in the whole of the uk. My question is after all of these cuts that the government have made what have they done with the money they have saved? It seems we are in a worst off position now then before these idiots got into power.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

seems very sad, not sure of the entire back story but very sad none the less

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Well to be honest it's better he is safe than on the streets on in a place of danger. The public sector is getting hit hard currently.

Liverpool

"Well to be honest it's better he is safe than on the streets on in a place of danger. The public sector is getting hit hard currently. "

It's a 16 year old girl, but what I was trying to ask is that after years of cuts to welfare, health, public services and so on surly they have some money to help those who need it.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I have just seen the news about a 16 year old mental health child having to spend two days in a police cell because a bed couldn't be found in the whole of the uk. My question is after all of these cuts that the government have made what have they done with the money they have saved? It seems we are in a worst off position now then before these idiots got into power."

The health service is one of the few areas where expenditure is still increasing and accounts for 1/3 of all government spending. The cuts you are talking about are probably to benefits half of which goes on pensions.

So if you want more health spending you can cut benefits and pensions, keep health service pay rises below inflation and employ more people or raise taxes.

But since this government has already reduced the higher rate threshold to increase the number of 40% tax payers by 1 million people and increased vat to 20% and the previous labour government has already taxed the shit out of us with green levies, airport tax, insurance tax and dozens of other hidden taxes where would you get the money from? After all no one wants to work for nothing

By *ogerknightlyMan  over a year ago

Stockport

"Well to be honest it's better he is safe than on the streets on in a place of danger. The public sector is getting hit hard currently.

It's a 16 year old girl, but what I was trying to ask is that after years of cuts to welfare, health, public services and so on surly they have some money to help those who need it."

A good question. I recieved a statement from HMRC the other day. It out lined how the goverment spends your tax and national insurance. For instance, my 2013/14 tax & NIC is £5420. £68 of which was spent on europe.

You should contact HMRC and ask for your statement.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

The government could increase income by insisting that companies such as Starbucks pay their taxes fairly and change the law so they can't be registered in a tax lax place. They could have not given themselves a pay rise after all "we're all in it together". If you think the cuts are bad now, they will be a lot worse if the Tories get in in 2015.

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"I have just seen the news about a 16 year old mental health child having to spend two days in a police cell because a bed couldn't be found in the whole of the uk. My question is after all of these cuts that the government have made what have they done with the money they have saved? It seems we are in a worst off position now then before these idiots got into power."
. I do not know the exact figures but do not think that there are many spending cuts in real terms . Spending on the NHS has increased significantly. As people live longer we will need even more taxes to pay out pensions . We should do a detailed re_iew of how we spend out existing taxes . A lot of work currently undertaken by Doctors could probably be done by skilled nurses. I don't think the mental health child was in police custody because of spending cuts , probably more to do with the inefficient use of existing resources.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

Our money?

The government spends around £720 billion pa.

That's around £10k for every man woman and child.

Our family certainly doesn't pay £40 grand a year in taxes, so we are grateful for those that pay more than their fair share.

Legislate for Starbucks? Difficult unless you can persuade other countries to do the same, though Europe is helping by putting increasing pressure on countries such as Ireland. Public boycotts are more effective, and convinced Starbucks to change their tax payments. Perhaps we should be remembering this each time we shop on Amazon this Christmas.

Finally, since there is still a thumping deficit, we are not saving any of our money by the cuts, we are simply 'borrowing' (stealing?) less from our Grandkids futures.

Sorry to bring a bit of realism to the debate

Mr ddc

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"Our money?

Our family certainly doesn't pay £40 grand a year in taxes, so we are grateful for those that pay more than their fair share.

Legislate for Starbucks? Difficult unless you can persuade other countries to do the same, though Europe is helping by putting increasing pressure on countries such as Ireland. Public boycotts are more effective, and convinced Starbucks to change their tax payments. Perhaps we should be remembering this each time we shop on Amazon this Christmas.

Finally, since there is still a thumping deficit, we are not saving any of our money by the cuts, we are simply 'borrowing' (stealing?) less from our Grandkids futures.

Mr ddc"

. Excellent post . Always great to see a post from someone who lives in the real world .

Brighton - even Hove!

I don't think my post was unrealistic.

By *ittykate84Woman  over a year ago

CHESTER

"The government could increase income by insisting that companies such as Starbucks pay their taxes fairly and change the law so they can't be registered in a tax lax place. They could have not given themselves a pay rise after all "we're all in it together". If you think the cuts are bad now, they will be a lot worse if the Tories get in in 2015. "

Actually after that happened Starbucks now opened a head office in the UK so they do now pay taxes as they should.. One of few companies who did!

A lot of 'celebrities' are the biggest tax dodgers

Brighton - even Hove!

Yes, when I said 'such as' I meant companies who were following a similar corporate tax avoidance ethos not Starbucks per se.

Nobody want to raise the basic rate of income tax. But everyone expects services such as the NHS to be available and paid for in an economic system subject to year-on-year inflation and population growth; with higher demands on its services through increasing and aging population.

Its simply unsustainable and economically nonviable.

Derbyshire

"I don't think my post was unrealistic. "

Not unrealistic, and mine wasn't aimed personally at you, more the general 'anti-government' threads around.

Your point about corporate taxes is right, but customers have more effect than governments.

"Nobody want to raise the basic rate of income tax. But everyone expects services such as the NHS to be available and paid for in an economic system subject to year-on-year inflation and population growth; with higher demands on its services through increasing and aging population.

Its simply unsustainable and economically nonviable."

Immigration has added to this and now the eu want to make it worst here not sure what mr cameron is going to do next but whatever he does I hope He keeps farage out..

Brighton - even Hove!

"I don't think my post was unrealistic.

Not unrealistic, and mine wasn't aimed personally at you, more the general 'anti-government' threads around.

Your point about corporate taxes is right, but customers have more effect than governments."

Ah. No worries.

Liverpool

"I don't think my post was unrealistic.

Your point about corporate taxes is right, but customers have more effect than governments."

My post wasn't aimed to be anti government. I was just wondering that's all.

Even if there had been no cuts at all, most public services are getting more and more screwed because of long term demographic trends. Blame the government or the previous government or the next government all you like, but that's the basic issue at the heart of it all - that we're all living longer, have higher expectations of public services and cost a lot more.

[Removed by poster at 29/11/14 21:36:41]

population explosion man

its only gonna get worse

"Well to be honest it's better he is safe than on the streets on in a place of danger. The public sector is getting hit hard currently.

It's a 16 year old girl, but what I was trying to ask is that after years of cuts to welfare, health, public services and so on surly they have some money to help those who need it."

They haven't cut welfare, more people than ever are on welfare, they are working but in zero hours jobs, or doing that workfare that pays nothing. So businesses are getting unpiad employers, less tax payers overall and more people on welfare than ever.

Disabled people have seen cuts to their money, sanctions have cut the bill for welfare for job seekers, but welfare more people on it than ever. Don't know where the money s going, i know the top 1000 richest people have gained more money during the recessions but everyone else is worse off.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/03/dwp-benefits-electrician-work-placement-labour

Cuts cuts cuts, yet the rich got richer in a time when they were supposed to be the broadest shoulders and we were all in this together.

Brighton - even Hove!

"http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/03/dwp-benefits-electrician-work-placement-labour

Cuts cuts cuts, yet the rich got richer in a time when they were supposed to be the broadest shoulders and we were all in this together."

The most vulnerable and the poorest are the easiest targets for welfare cuts. The government could have said 'no' to their 11% pay increase and given the money to charity but didn't. Says a lot really, that 'I'm all right, Jack' attitude.

Derbyshire

And I just checked the details of the original story - it would appear the lady in question was arrested after abusing staff at an NHS hospital, and now everyone is surprised no NHS bed can be found for her. Nurses have a hard enough time as it is, without a chief constable trying to use them to make a political point.

"http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/03/dwp-benefits-electrician-work-placement-labour

Cuts cuts cuts, yet the rich got richer in a time when they were supposed to be the broadest shoulders and we were all in this together.

The most vulnerable and the poorest are the easiest targets for welfare cuts. The government could have said 'no' to their 11% pay increase and given the money to charity but didn't. Says a lot really, that 'I'm all right, Jack' attitude. "

I could easily punch the lot of them. Smug gits they are, Cameron, boris the buffon and head osbourne.

Liverpool

"And I just checked the details of the original story - it would appear the lady in question was arrested after abusing staff at an NHS hospital, and now everyone is surprised no NHS bed can be found for her. Nurses have a hard enough time as it is, without a chief constable trying to use them to make a political point.

"

But you have to realise that this young lady has a mental health problem.

Derbyshire

"

But you have to realise that this young lady has a mental health problem."

Not before she was arrested she didn't!

Police sectioned her as a way.of trying to force an nhs hospital to take her, now are pissed off they didnt play ball!

Liverpool

"

But you have to realise that this young lady has a mental health problem.

Not before she was arrested she didn't!

Police sectioned her as a way.of trying to force an nhs hospital to take her, now are pissed off they didnt play ball!"

Police don't section people just to get them Out of the way otherwise most people arrested on a Friday or Saturday night would be in hospital.

By *ingersoloWoman  over a year ago

Oldham

I must admit I've got experience in this from several angles. As a patient, I had/have depression and anxiety disorders and mostly had pills thrown at it cos therapy has a long waiting list, as a mental health student I've looked at how Professionals and the public handle and treat mental health problems, as a professional in the caring sector I see how the government cuts have affected people with disabilities but mostly as a mum I saw my son struggle with problems and at one point aged 10/11 being locked in police cells and a police car once for over an hour.

All in all after a long winded comment, the whole response to mental health has to be rethought. It's treated as the poor relation to physical ill health and causes a lot of real problems that can be avoided with correct and early treatment.

Derbyshire

"

Police don't section people just to get them Out of the way otherwise most people arrested on a Friday or Saturday night would be in hospital."

Lol, not sure they'd get two doctors to say you had mental problems just because you had a skinfull!

Liverpool

"

Police don't section people just to get them Out of the way otherwise most people arrested on a Friday or Saturday night would be in hospital.

Lol, not sure they'd get two doctors to say you had mental problems just because you had a skinfull!

"

that's what you seemed to say on your last post. Sorry for any confusion

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I do volunteer work with a comany that provides addicts with help and support to get clean from drink and/or drugs.

We haven't had our funding cut, but we have seen an increase of service users of nearly 24% in the last year. We have to provide our service to more people on the same money which is why we are increasingly relying on volunteers.

"Our money?

Mr ddc"

Errr we've been in debt since 1700 so are we the grandkids or was it our grandparents who were the grandkids...

What if you don't have grandkids, who you stealing from then?.

Who are "those" that pay more than their fair share and how do you know it was fair or unfair.

Your realism seems to be very subjective!.

Finally I don't like coffee I only drink tea, do I have to campaign against those chimps

Derbyshire

"

Errr we've been in debt since 1700 so are we the grandkids or was it our grandparents who were the grandkids...

What if you don't have grandkids, who you stealing from then?.

Who are "those" that pay more than their fair share and how do you know it was fair or unfair.

Your realism seems to be very subjective!.

Finally I don't like coffee I only drink tea, do I have to campaign against those chimps "

Yes,but we came close to paying it off, once in 1912, and again in the late 1980s. Is not massive borrowing to fund the world wars is different to vanity borrowing to get your party re-elected?

If not your kids, then who are you expecting to pay our debts? Mine?

Who? By my rough calcs, anyone paying more than £10k in total taxes.

Subjectivity and realism are not mutually exclusive. My _iews may be coloured by personal experience (including the realisation when taking out a loan for a secondhand bike, that had I saved up instead, I could have afforded a brand new car!) but that doesn't make the concept that someone has to pay our debts less true.

Think of the public services we could have if we weren't wasting £50billion every year on Gordon Brown's failed economic experiment!

» Add a new message to this topic