FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Cricket World Cup

Cricket World Cup

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *picyspiregirl OP   Couple  over a year ago

chesterfield

For the few people interested, who is your money on?

It pains me to say that I can't see anyone beating Australia.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yeah Australia must start as Favourites, but if de villeiers carries on like he's been going the last 12 months south Africa have a good chance,

England have zero chance

"For the few people interested, who is your money on?

It pains me to say that I can't see anyone beating Australia. "

Good call, just can't see past them. Free scoring batting line up and a devastating bowling attack.

As someone said cant see past aussies or south africans

if they play their a game then South Africa but on home soil it's hard to see past the aussies

chesterfield

The South Africans always seem to find a way to lose though.very good team but I'm convinced they will choke again.

Outsiders worth a couple quid each way, new Zealand, but they depend a lot on guptil, and Pakistan, Sri Lanka are a bit too old now but always seem to go well in tournaments

Probably get good odds on England not even winning a game

chesterfield

I have a feeling that India will do well but not enough to win it.

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman  over a year ago

West Midlands

I think south Africa have the edge this year

X

"Yeah Australia must start as Favourites, but if de villeiers carries on like he's been going the last 12 months south Africa have a good chance,

England have zero chance"

Statistically that is incorrect! In reality it is not far from the truth. But anything can happen in these tournaments, only takes a couple of players to find some form and teams can get some momentum. So for the time being I'm being positive and trying to believe that England are going to win it, with Bell as top tournament scorer and Broad top wicket taker!

chesterfield

"Yeah Australia must start as Favourites, but if de villeiers carries on like he's been going the last 12 months south Africa have a good chance,

England have zero chance

Statistically that is incorrect! In reality it is not far from the truth. But anything can happen in these tournaments, only takes a couple of players to find some form and teams can get some momentum. So for the time being I'm being positive and trying to believe that England are going to win it, with Bell as top tournament scorer and Broad top wicket taker!"

I admire your optimism,You should get to the bookies with that!

England have zero chance

Statistically that is incorrect! In reality it is not far from the truth. But anything can happen in these tournaments, only takes a couple of players to find some form and teams can get some momentum. So for the time being I'm being positive and trying to believe that England are going to win it, with Bell as top tournament scorer and Broad top wicket taker!

I admire your optimism,You should get to the bookies with that! "

And then go for a lie down with some beer and then book a visit to a counsellor for the issue with delusions you have!!

I can't see past Australia either painful words those

chesterfield

It seems Michael Clarke May be back for the cons during this tournament. I'm sure that would make them stronger.

Win or lose, I think England need a very good performance on Saturday if they are to have a sniff at a chance in the competition.

England have zero chance

Statistically that is incorrect! In reality it is not far from the truth. But anything can happen in these tournaments, only takes a couple of players to find some form and teams can get some momentum. So for the time being I'm being positive and trying to believe that England are going to win it, with Bell as top tournament scorer and Broad top wicket taker!"

Statistically Scotland and Ireland and bangledesh Have that chance too, but we know they have know chance, I'll be stunned if England make the semis,

"It seems Michael Clarke May be back for the cons during this tournament. I'm sure that would make them stronger.

Win or lose, I think England need a very good performance on Saturday if they are to have a sniff at a chance in the competition."

Who do you think there going to drop to fit Clarke in? aussies have been on fire without him, only one slightly out of touch is Watson?

England!!... and no im not d*unk but why not!! Getting better every game we still can't hit boundaries! O I thought u meant finish bottom off group !!

chesterfield

"It seems Michael Clarke May be back for the cons during this tournament. I'm sure that would make them stronger.

Win or lose, I think England need a very good performance on Saturday if they are to have a sniff at a chance in the competition.

Who do you think there going to drop to fit Clarke in? aussies have been on fire without him, only one slightly out of touch is Watson? "

I can't see them dropping Watson as he gives them the chance to play an extra batsman.

Thinking about it, I can't see Clarke getting back in unless a batsman gets injured.

But if Ian bell end gets a few runs I think England could do ok! No big big hitters I don't think and hales is not on form! Get Flintoff in team

Hope Clarke stands on a corkey like mc grath! Think u said it mc ha

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

I think there are a few teams in the running, I think its going to be a belter.

Shame for us its the other side of the world but fair's fair I suppose.

Come on England, go well

By *he Stuff Of LegendMan  over a year ago

Hadfield

Australia home turf will make it a certainty.

Just hope it's a great world cup. Think the aussies will win.

Xx

Are Scotland in it

Who do you think there going to drop to fit Clarke in? aussies have been on fire without him, only one slightly out of touch is Watson?

I can't see them dropping Watson as he gives them the chance to play an extra batsman.

Thinking about it, I can't see Clarke getting back in unless a batsman gets injured."

That's what I'm saying, where are they going to fit him?

But he is the national captain and they have to fit him in

"Are Scotland in it "

Yeah Scotland are in it, they've just beaten Ireland in a warm up game

chesterfield

"Are Scotland in it

Yeah Scotland are in it, they've just beaten Ireland in a warm up game"

It will be interesting to see who Ireland beat this time, they always seem to beat a big team. Does anyone remember o'brien's knock against England at the last one?

"Are Scotland in it

Yeah Scotland are in it, they've just beaten Ireland in a warm up game"

Woohoo

"Are Scotland in it

Yeah Scotland are in it, they've just beaten Ireland in a warm up game

It will be interesting to see who Ireland beat this time, they always seem to beat a big team. Does anyone remember o'brien's knock against England at the last one?"

Can't see it this time, Ireland are very poor this time round,

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

England have a punchers chance. 4th favourites, admittedly along way off new Zealand Australia and south Africa. They have the tougher group but if they get out of it have an easier draw in the knockouts.

"England have a punchers chance. 4th favourites, admittedly along way off new Zealand Australia and south Africa. They have the tougher group but if they get out of it have an easier draw in the knockouts."

Would you seriously have us above Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan at the moment? Hope I'm wrong but I reckon we are ranked 7th in one day at the moment.

"England have a punchers chance. 4th favourites, admittedly along way off new Zealand Australia and south Africa. They have the tougher group but if they get out of it have an easier draw in the knockouts.

Would you seriously have us above Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan at the moment? Hope I'm wrong but I reckon we are ranked 7th in one day at the moment."

I think we are just above Pakistan, and level with India,

"England have a punchers chance. 4th favourites, admittedly along way off new Zealand Australia and south Africa. They have the tougher group but if they get out of it have an easier draw in the knockouts.

Would you seriously have us above Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan at the moment? Hope I'm wrong but I reckon we are ranked 7th in one day at the moment.

I think we are just above Pakistan, and level with India, "

Err didn't u watch the last eng vs pak match.

Pak beat eng comfortably.

By *ushandkittyCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

The wife has tipped Australia for this forever although anyone can beat anyone in one off games, take the Ireland England game. West indies while aren't the in the top few on form are more than capable of getting a result as they did against SA earlier this year. And of course the world's media will be wanting Australia to win so they can go on about it being a tribute to Phil Hughes.

By *ushandkittyCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

Forgot to mention that we are in Goa atm so will be looking forward to watching the India Pakistan game amongst a crowd of Indians lol.

By *zanyCouple  over a year ago

truro

Reminds me of our first visit to chameleons where we watched two couples shagging and the two guys were talking cricket. Really chees'ed of the girls.

For me, New Zealand are the dark horses: co-hosting with Australia gives the Black Caps home advantage and they have been playing well, with flair and confidence, under McCullum. Australia will be hard to beat, of course. They should win but reading online comments posted by Aussie fans recently, there is a little air of doubt amongst their supporters, which is a little unexpected. I've also read of a few rumblings about team morale under Clarke, with many preferring the leadership style of Smith. It must also be unsettling for Bailey to be captain in the absence of Clarke - yet almost certainly the one to be dropped if Clarke plays.

South Africa don't look winners to me. The batting rests mainly on de Villiers and the bowlers are a little out of form (especially the excellent Philander). India won't do well as they cannot handle the extra pace on Australian wickets. Sad to say, England can only really hope for a Semi Final place, at best. There looks to be talent in the team but we are in a state of transition

By *ertiVogtsMan  over a year ago

Exeter

I think you're right.I just can't see past Australia.Wouldn't mind being proved wrong though...

I think we are just above Pakistan, and level with India,

Err didn't u watch the last eng vs pak match.

Pak beat eng comfortably. "

I wouldn't read too much into a 12 v 11 game, a warm up, played where key players were being rested!

By *aptain VMan  over a year ago

Birstall, Leicester

Australia will win it for sure. India will do well to get to the final

Come on then money where your mouth is, semi line up?

For me Australia south Africa Sri Lanka, and new Zealand sneaking in because of good advantage,

With a Australia new Zealand final south Africa bottling it like they do in every tournament, running each other out when they need 1 off 2 balls ha ha ha

"Come on then money where your mouth is, semi line up?

For me Australia south Africa Sri Lanka, and new Zealand sneaking in because of good advantage,

With a Australia new Zealand final south Africa bottling it like they do in every tournament, running each other out when they need 1 off 2 balls ha ha ha"

Oops home advantage

"Come on then money where your mouth is, semi line up?

With a Australia new Zealand final south Africa bottling it like they do in every tournament, running each other out when they need 1 off 2 balls ha ha ha"

I would agree with your Semi Final/Final prediction

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

Australia new Zealand South Africa should all make the semis. If pushed would say England. Sub continent teams especially India and Pakistan don't do well on bouncy Australian wickets and even worse on ones that offer lateral movement in new Zealand. West indies are a mess at the moment due to in fighting.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

bloody hell we will have tebbitt's "cricket test" in a minute...

am i allowed to support the west indies... the one team worse than england!!!!

I think this is New Zealands World Cup.

I will always back India but the conditions arent there - the tri series with Oz and England are no indication.

By *arold_n_maudeCouple  over a year ago

preston

Not many fancy England then lol. Heart says Kiwis head says Sri Lanka.

"bloody hell we will have tebbitt's "cricket test" in a minute...

am i allowed to support the west indies... the one team worse than england!!!! "

I don't think the windies are that bad really, apart from 1 game, the de Villiers game, they pushed south Africa close in every game in South Africa

Only three teams in with a chance and they are in no particular order

England

Australia

South Africa

They can all beat each other on any given day

"Only three teams in with a chance and they are in no particular order

England

Australia

South Africa

They can all beat each other on any given day "

England have no chance

England

Australia

South Africa

England have no chance

"

I love the positive can do attitude of some of the great British public, belief is everything at that level of sport, there is not much in the teams.

England

Australia

South Africa

England have no chance

I love the positive can do attitude of some of the great British public, belief is everything at that level of sport, there is not much in the teams. "

Sorry not an england supporter

India zinderbad India zinderbad, Pakistan murdabad murdabad. Best rivalry in the world.

"India zinderbad India zinderbad, Pakistan murdabad murdabad. Best rivalry in the world."

Pmsl

England

Australia

South Africa

England have no chance

I love the positive can do attitude of some of the great British public, belief is everything at that level of sport, there is not much in the teams.

Sorry not an england supporter "

No need to apologise dear boy

By *ymph and ManicCouple  over a year ago

North East

Can't understand when there's big hitters been left out of even England's squad never mind team and the playing areas in Australia are massive that we pick "finesse" players like Joe root .. even if he actually goes for a full hook shot or half volley it doesn't get off the square ffs ... While likes of stokes lumb carberry etc etc etc ..... are left to enjoy big bash and ipl ... ...

"Can't understand when there's big hitters been left out of even England's squad never mind team and the playing areas in Australia are massive that we pick "finesse" players like Joe root .. even if he actually goes for a full hook shot or half volley it doesn't get off the square ffs ... While likes of stokes lumb carberry etc etc etc ..... are left to enjoy big bash and ipl ... ... "

The game is rooted in strange decisions perhaps their hoping that root and the like can manipulate the vast spaces in Australia

"Can't understand when there's big hitters been left out of even England's squad never mind team and the playing areas in Australia are massive that we pick "finesse" players like Joe root .. even if he actually goes for a full hook shot or half volley it doesn't get off the square ffs ... While likes of stokes lumb carberry etc etc etc ..... are left to enjoy big bash and ipl ... ...

The game is rooted in strange decisions perhaps their hoping that root and the like can manipulate the vast spaces in Australia "

You need to hit sixes in one day cricket now to stand a chance of winning, gone are the days of being able to just nurdle it around for 1s and 2s, hoping to win a game at 4 an over

"Can't understand when there's big hitters been left out of even England's squad never mind team and the playing areas in Australia are massive that we pick "finesse" players like Joe root .. even if he actually goes for a full hook shot or half volley it doesn't get off the square ffs ... While likes of stokes lumb carberry etc etc etc ..... are left to enjoy big bash and ipl ... ...

The game is rooted in strange decisions perhaps their hoping that root and the like can manipulate the vast spaces in Australia

You need to hit sixes in one day cricket now to stand a chance of winning, gone are the days of being able to just nurdle it around for 1s and 2s, hoping to win a game at 4 an over"

Sadly this is where we are lagging behind: we seem incapable of regularly posting scores of 300 - 350. Whichever team wins will have to do that

yeah without doubt, I think it's going to be a run fest this tournament,

Getting closer. Can't wait. X

"yeah without doubt, I think it's going to be a run fest this tournament, "

It will be, for sure. Personally I'd prefer to see the balance equalising a bit. There is too much against bowlers - fielding restrictions, power plays, wides, no bouncers etc etc. But perhaps I'm too much of a purist

chesterfield

"Getting closer. Can't wait. X "

I'm looking forward to England's game but I can't wait for the India Pakistan game. I would love to go to watch any India v Pakistan match.

Come on India!!

This may have been asked further up the thread, but which team wears the prettiest pyjamas?

"yeah without doubt, I think it's going to be a run fest this tournament,

It will be, for sure. Personally I'd prefer to see the balance equalising a bit. There is too much against bowlers - fielding restrictions, power plays, wides, no bouncers etc etc. But perhaps I'm too much of a purist"

people want to see the ball flying to all corners now a days, I'm with you I'd rather see a fair battle between bat and ball, but don't think the powers that be are going to be happy until teams are getting 400 without loss

"yeah without doubt, I think it's going to be a run fest this tournament,

It will be, for sure. Personally I'd prefer to see the balance equalising a bit. There is too much against bowlers - fielding restrictions, power plays, wides, no bouncers etc etc. But perhaps I'm too much of a purist

people want to see the ball flying to all corners now a days, I'm with you I'd rather see a fair battle between bat and ball, but don't think the powers that be are going to be happy until teams are getting 400 without loss"

Sure you're right. It's a ratings fight with T20 definitely

Shame as one of the best ever one day matches - beit 20 or 50 over format - was the 1999 Semi Final with Australia and South Africa. Quite a low scoring game but it had it all, not least the great bowling of Warne

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Aussies 342/9 Finn 5/71

Will be tough, but think we can chase that down

It certainty wont be England . Cant see anyone beating Australia tbh

Great start to the reply

Brendons boys New Zealand to win it.

Finns stats flatter him. Too many short balls. It wis good to see him again thought it was harsh sending him home from The Ashes.

chesterfield

Oops. This could get messy!

66/3 out for less than 200?

"Oops. This could get messy! "

More like short and not so sweet

Oh dear!!!

Is anyone surprise really?

Good old england

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Might have to eat ma words @ 72/4

Just when you need someone like that KP fella.....

"Just when you need someone like that KP fella....."

you didnt mention the 'kp' word did you???

Not a suprise for this first game England's odi record in oz ain't the best at all

"Just when you need someone like that KP fella.....

you didnt mention the 'kp' word did you???"

With no Ravi or Stokes in games like this England need him.

With no Ravi or Stokes in games like this England need him."

totally agree think they need him in all formats

totally agree think they need him in all formats"

Not a fan of him in the Test format but in ODIs and T20s his bold and flash batting is at its best.

Cook must be sat at home pissing himself laughing at this.

With no Ravi or Stokes in games like this England need him."

When as he ever performed in situations like this? He was great coming in 100 for 1 Or 2, but when England are 30for 2 kp couldn't handle the pressure and would throw his wicket away

Taylor just smashed that as hard as he could and it trickled to the boundry

"Is anyone surprise really? "

Errrrrrrrm, having just read this entire thread, yes there's a few who'll be surprised!!

When as he ever performed in situations like this? He was great coming in 100 for 1 Or 2, but when England are 30for 2 kp couldn't handle the pressure and would throw his wicket away"

Why not have him in? After all English cricket loves a good scapegoat.

Id like to see his average compared with this team. And I did say with no Ravi or Stokes

I've never rated bopari, again doesn't really have the power game, and struggled under pressure

"I've never rated bopari, again doesn't really have the power game, and struggled under pressure"

Power game? He is one of Englands biggest hitters if not the biggest.

Agree he struggles tho always seems to get us into a winning position but never over the line.

6 peneth

I'm watching the Retro Rugby, - anyone care to tell me the latest score?

"I'm watching the Retro Rugby, - anyone care to tell me the latest score? "

184-7

"I'm watching the Retro Rugby, - anyone care to tell me the latest score?

184-7"

after how many overs?

"I'm watching the Retro Rugby, - anyone care to tell me the latest score?

184-7 after how many overs?"

195-9 after 37overs

Come on, prove me right......all out for less than 200.............

"Come on, prove me right......all out for less than 200............. "

Nope Mitchell Johnson as scored more for England than 4 of the batsmen

"Come on, prove me right......all out for less than 200.............

Nope Mitchell Johnson as scored more for England than 4 of the batsmen"

Oh bugger. I can only follow it on web commentary as I don't have skysports.

Oh bugger. I can only follow it on web commentary as I don't have skysports."

Well he went wide wicket 4 wides to get England over the 200

Oh bugger. I can only follow it on web commentary as I don't have skysports.

Well he went wide wicket 4 wides to get England over the 200"

He's a benevolent chap that Mitchell fella

Only postive from this game will be if Taylor gets a 100

It's just shown England's scoring chart, 137 dot balls, that's 21 overs without scoring off 41 overs, that is awful

this is tense, got to be not out

Controversy here

Yeah Anderson can't be run out of a decision by the umpire?

99 not out poor lad

"Yeah Anderson can't be run out of a decision by the umpire?

99 not out poor lad"

Shocking for Taylor like had to be a dead ball

Absolutely ridiculous!

yep awful decision, but let's not let 1 bad umpiring decision over shadow the fact England were never in the game,

I still can't believe Morgan put them in to bat, awful decision as a captain

I was listening to Goughie on the radio a couple of days ago & I was flabbergasted that he said that England should reach the semi's!!!

......just like in soccer, it's the delusional pundits whom give false hope to the masses, - hardly the players' fault!

"yep awful decision, but let's not let 1 bad umpiring decision over shadow the fact England were never in the game,

I still can't believe Morgan put them in to bat, awful decision as a captain"

Awful decision and will deflect a awful display overall. Someone needs to tell them they are allowed to bowl full and straight.

Ali Cook must be pissing himself.

England most definitely do not play soccer lol

"I was listening to Goughie on the radio a couple of days ago & I was flabbergasted that he said that England should reach the semi's!!!

......just like in soccer, it's the delusional pundits whom give false hope to the masses, - hardly the players' fault!"

Not a chance of gettin. Out of this group, Australia new Zealand and Sri Lanka, England are in the worst group think if they were in group b they might of stood a chance

New Zealand to win it I think.

"New Zealand to win it I think."

New Zealand Australia final, really can't see past Australia

Always the same thing with England some horrible tactics Morgan's decision to bowl first was a shocker but then his batting over last few games has being shocking but he can pull it of bag with a big score against New Zealand to gives us some faith very optimistic lol

"New Zealand to win it I think.

New Zealand Australia final, really can't see past Australia "

That would make a great final

Can't go past Australia to win it either semi finals for me Australia New Zealand South Africa and Sri lanka

"I was listening to Goughie on the radio a couple of days ago & I was flabbergasted that he said that England should reach the semi's!!!

......just like in soccer, it's the delusional pundits whom give false hope to the masses, - hardly the players' fault!"

England have a chance of making the semis. Victories against Scotland, Afghanistan and Bangladesh should see them through to the last eight. Then one decent performance would see them through to the Semis! So not impossible!

To compete, we need to take chances: couple of missed catches and run out chances. Had Woakes caught Finch, the game could have been massively different. So a positive is that we had chances. A massive negative is the inability to bowl at the death. Conceding 76 off the last six overs is disastrous. The same mistakes keep being made: too many slower balls and slower ball bouncers, not enough yorkers. What the bowling coach is doing I do not know: Dernbach used to do that and regularly disappeared a long way yet we continue to bowl in the same way.

Sadly the World Cup has come at exactly the wrong time: a new captain, inexperienced and unsettled batting line up. It would take a miracle to win the World Cup the way things are

"England most definitely do not play soccer lol"

..........very well!

......just like in soccer, it's the delusional pundits whom give false hope to the masses, - hardly the players' fault!

England have a chance of making the semis. Victories against Scotland, Afghanistan and Bangladesh should see them through to the last eight. Then one decent performance would see them through to the Semis! So not impossible!

To compete, we need to take chances: couple of missed catches and run out chances. Had Woakes caught Finch, the game could have been massively different. So a positive is that we had chances. A massive negative is the inability to bowl at the death. Conceding 76 off the last six overs is disastrous. The same mistakes keep being made: too many slower balls and slower ball bouncers, not enough yorkers. What the bowling coach is doing I do not know: Dernbach used to do that and regularly disappeared a long way yet we continue to bowl in the same way.

Sadly the World Cup has come at exactly the wrong time: a new captain, inexperienced and unsettled batting line up. It would take a miracle to win the

World Cup the way things are"

I must admit, I haven't seen the format but if that's all England need to do to get to the quarters, then maybe yourself & Goughie are correct & I'm wrong, - but that does seem rather easy for a World cup????

.......mind you, I wouldn't bank on beating Bangladesh either, - they USED to be okay at limited overs cricket!

Not sure about the format, but surely if England come 4th they will play the team that finished 1st in group b? Which is going to be south Africa, so it's good bye England

chesterfield

I dont believe a win over bangladesh can be taken for granted and scotland could be a little iffy, again, remember ireland?

I totally agree with a previous poster about kp. England need him especially with the form he was in during the big bash.

Sadly the World Cup has come at exactly the wrong time: a new captain, inexperienced and unsettled batting line up. It would take a miracle to win the

World Cup the way things are

I must admit, I haven't seen the format but if that's all England need to do to get to the quarters, then maybe yourself & Goughie are correct & I'm wrong, - but that does seem rather easy for a World cup????

.......mind you, I wouldn't bank on beating Bangladesh either, - they USED to be okay at limited overs cricket!"

Yes, get through the group stages and there are only three games to win in order to win the World Cup - though, as has been posted above, if England finish in fourth place they will play the other group winners (South Africa if all goes to form). And yes, wins over Bangladesh and Scotland shouldn't be taken for granted! That said, recent easy wins over India tend to indicate that all is not lost. If we beat the minnows and also Sri Lanka (which we have a chance of, I'd suggest) then a Quarter Final against India or Pakistan should await and we would have a fair chance. After that a tough Semi Final and no real chance, I'd suggest!

If the bowlers and coaches can learn how to stem the flow of runs at the end of an innings, we will have more chance of doing alright but I'm not confident any tactics will change much.

I'd like to see Hales have a chance opening and I think we need Bopara back. I'd also say Moeen would be better off mid order as flashy 20s or 30s seem all we can expect of him at the top of the order. Variation in pace would be welcome too so Treadwell in for one of the seamers but doubt they'll do that.

As for KP, we can forget him: the management will never welcome him back. Personally I will never forgive him for undermining Strauss' position at a time when England were ranked number 1 in test, ODI and T20 cricket

I hope we can do well - today was always going to be the toughest test for a while - but I fear it could end up a disaster. We look ripe for an upset at the hands of one of the minnows. The posts that there will be if Scotland beat us don't bear thinking about!

Defo agree kp would have being a great addition to the team his form and exepernice from playing in Australia would have being a big help

England's age old problem in Cricket has been the management in my opinion, they couldn't manage their best player, the aforementioned KP, for sure but also mentioned earlier was the poor timing of the captaincy change, of which I totally agree, - Cook should never have been allowed anywhere near an international ODI team, let alone be a captain!!

Old Father Time has stood still at the MCC/EWCB - but not the Gin bottle!!

chesterfield

"England's age old problem in Cricket has been the management in my opinion, they couldn't manage their best player, the aforementioned KP, for sure but also mentioned earlier was the poor timing of the captaincy change, of which I totally agree, - Cook should never have been allowed anywhere near an international ODI team, let alone be a captain!!

Old Father Time has stood still at the MCC/EWCB - but not the Gin bottle!! "

I don't believe English cricket will get any better whilst Downton and Moores remain in their jobs but the ECB's main priority seems to be themselves.

Not to worry, India are on soon!

"England's age old problem in Cricket has been the management in my opinion, they couldn't manage their best player, the aforementioned KP, for sure but also mentioned earlier was the poor timing of the captaincy change, of which I totally agree, - Cook should never have been allowed anywhere near an international ODI team, let alone be a captain!!

Old Father Time has stood still at the MCC/EWCB - but not the Gin bottle!!

I don't believe English cricket will get any better whilst Downton and Moores remain in their jobs but the ECB's main priority seems to be themselves.

Not to worry, India are on soon!"

chesterfield

A fantastic win for Ireland and a good bowling performance by Scotland.

Have Scotland shown that NZ are not quite as good as their publicity or did they only play in 2nd gear?

"A fantastic win for Ireland and a good bowling performance by Scotland.

Have Scotland shown that NZ are not quite as good as their publicity or did they only play in 2nd gear?"

Scotland are not to be underestimated. They had a massive win over Ireland in a warm up match - and we know Ireland are no mugs. Didn't see it but from what I read, there is a suspicion that New Zealand were a bit casual, especially near the end. Also know that Graeme Swann was sounding very wary about playing Scotland when on the radio the other day.

Excellent result for Ireland - and quite what older West Indian fans must think of the current side compared with the great side of the late 70s and early 80s, I cannot imagine

chesterfield

Have Scotland shown that NZ are not quite as good as their publicity or did they only play in 2nd gear?

Scotland are not to be underestimated. They had a massive win over Ireland in a warm up match - and we know Ireland are no mugs. Didn't see it but from what I read, there is a suspicion that New Zealand were a bit casual, especially near the end. Also know that Graeme Swann was sounding very wary about playing Scotland when on the radio the other day.

Excellent result for Ireland - and quite what older West Indian fans must think of the current side compared with the great side of the late 70s and early 80s, I cannot imagine"

There is no comparison between those two windies sides. By the way, Wes Hall once got mr spicy blind d*unk! Good man.

Excellent result for Ireland - and quite what older West Indian fans must think of the current side compared with the great side of the late 70s and early 80s, I cannot imagine

There is no comparison between those two windies sides. By the way, Wes Hall once got mr spicy blind d*unk! Good man. "

This reminded me of the notorious day in 1969 when Ireland trounced the West Indies, bowling them out for 25 (yes, 25). A friend told me years back that local legend had it that the Windies were all suffering with massive hangovers from the local brew (poteen, I believe) after local hospitality prior to the game was a bit generous

World Cup the way things are

.......mind you, I wouldn't bank on beating Bangladesh either, - they USED to be okay at limited overs cricket!

Yes, get through the group stages and there are only three games to win in order to win the World Cup - though, as has been posted above, if England finish in fourth place they will play the other group winners (South Africa if all goes to form). And yes, wins over Bangladesh and Scotland shouldn't be taken for granted! That said, recent easy wins over India tend to indicate that all is not lost. If we beat the minnows and also Sri Lanka (which we have a chance of, I'd suggest) then a Quarter Final against India or Pakistan should await and we would have a fair chance. After that a tough Semi Final and no real chance, I'd suggest!

If the bowlers and coaches can learn how to stem the flow of runs at the end of an innings, we will have more chance of doing alright but I'm not confident any tactics will change much.

I'd like to see Hales have a chance opening and I think we need Bopara back. I'd also say Moeen would be better off mid order as flashy 20s or 30s seem all we can expect of him at the top of the order. Variation in pace would be welcome too so Treadwell in for one of the seamers but doubt they'll do that.

As for KP, we can forget him: the management will never welcome him back. Personally I will never forgive him for undermining Strauss' position at a time when England were ranked number 1 in test, ODI and T20 cricket

I hope we can do well - today was always going to be the toughest test for

a while - but I fear it could end up a disaster. We look ripe for an upset at the hands of one of the minnows. The posts that there will be if Scotland beat us don't bear thinking about! "

The trouble is that when England were number one in the world at test cricket - & very briefly at 50 & 20 over cricket, - KP was instrumental in them being up there!!

All KP did to undermine Strauss was to send a 'private' sms to a so-called 'friend' about his captaincy, - I don't see anything wrong about that considering it was probably true.

The false twitter account of Swan & co was far worse imo - but overlooked somehow by the 'management'

..& as for Swan buggering off whilst getting hammered by the Aussies ...... - that really shows an insight in to the players/team mentality!!

......having said all that, they'll probably go & beat the Kiwis now, - though I strongly doubt it!!

KIWI KIWI KIWI!!!

Well, I just got up to listen to the Engine v NZ game. We've been taken to the cleaners without any doubt.

"Well, I just got up to listen to the Engine v NZ game. We've been taken to the cleaners without any doubt."

Engine? - more like an old cart horse!!

Australia. I saaw them demolish England in Melbourne on Saturday. MCG rules ban Mexican waves. Guess what the crowd were doing during the England innings....!

England surely never in the running sadly and being thrashed by the Kiwis today

"Australia. I saaw them demolish England in Melbourne on Saturday. MCG rules ban Mexican waves. Guess what the crowd were doing during the England innings....!

England surely never in the running sadly and being thrashed by the Kiwis today "

why have they banned the Mexican Wave, - is it for anti-beer spilling purposes?

Mex wave. Yeah probably. A lot of beer was being a swilled and spilled

"Mex wave. Yeah probably. A lot of beer was being a swilled and spilled "

Very sensible!

I'm listening on the radio & they took the teams off at the scheduled time for the 'mid game' interval with NZ needing just 12 runs to win, - to a stadium-full of boo's, I might add; I guess they have to sell some beers & burgers somehow!!

Cardiff

Fuck sake england stop showing us up

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

yet another sport we have given to the world and are consistently embarrassingly awful at just need the jocks to get a result on sunday to cap it all off

Ever the optimist.

Cum On England.

Just got up............What the actual fuck.............telegram to Morgan and co'

'The game is cricket. Meant to score lots of runs. More than opponents. 50 overs per side. Not 50 overs for match.'

chesterfield

Totally embarrassing. How confident are we now about getting out of the group?

"Totally embarrassing. How confident are we now about getting out of the group?"

Not very can see us losing to Scotland and Bangladesh

Did I see in graphics they can only afford to lose only one of the remaining four just to be in with a chance if qualifying?

By *dam_TinaCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

#embarrasing

"Did I see in graphics they can only afford to lose only one of the remaining four just to be in with a chance if qualifying? "

I should imagine they will need to win all 4 because there net run is so bad after the destruction that new Zealand did

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Did I see in graphics they can only afford to lose only one of the remaining four just to be in with a chance if qualifying? "

yes and no.... its top 4 that go thru to the super 8 stage.... so if you think thye would beat scotland and afghanistan, then are going to need to turn over at least one of sri lanka or bangladesh to qualify

I read a couple of days ago that the team chasing wins 90% of the games at Wellington. So we win the toss and bat!

An abject performance from England. Probably our worst ever.

Big changes needed: get Hales in and utilise Tredwell

Moores has been found to be not good enough as Coach a couple of years back. So why on earth is he coach now?

At the time we were number 1 at tests, ODIs and T20s we had Flower in charge of all disciplines. Since the roles were split, we have dropped in terms of performance and standing in all three disciplines.

We had a new selection panel prior to the Ashes. Selections since the new selectors came in have been poor

We have entered into the tournament with a moderately settled side - after much tinkering - only to change that on the eve of the tournament

The selectors, coach, bowling coach and players should hang their heads in shame.

Heads MUST roll!

For gods sake England bring back KP.

Cardiff

It was supposed to be a day/nighter. Bless them, being all green and that by getting it done without using all that electric.

By *ymph and ManicCouple  over a year ago

North East

Crazy decision (again) to bat first on a green top wicket giving the initiative to new Zealand .... who don't need any gifts ... hopefully the games get easier in rest of group stages ... ... remind me someone . If the ball is seaming around you play on front foot and far up the pitch... not standing like Gary Ballance waiting trapped deep in crease??? Basic fundamentals of club cricket never mind top class world cup cricket!!!!!!! ...

"Crazy decision (again) to bat first on a green top wicket giving the initiative to new Zealand .... who don't need any gifts ... hopefully the games get easier in rest of group stages ... ... remind me someone . If the ball is seaming around you play on front foot and far up the pitch... not standing like Gary Ballance waiting trapped deep in crease??? Basic fundamentals of club cricket never mind top class world cup cricket!!!!!!! ... "

Yeah, a shocking green top wicket that was for McCullym!! ....... especially with a strike rate if more than 300!!

Let's face it, number 7 in the world only goes to show how inaccurate world rankings can be!!

Does Bangladeshs draw with Australia due to weather put even more pressure on England?

"Does Bangladeshs draw with Australia due to weather put even more pressure on England?"

If Bangladesh get a no result against us, definitely. A no result for Bangladesh against Sri Lanka and/or New Zealand, yes

Newcastle and Gateshead

who knew a game of cricket between england and scotland would be so important... lol

chesterfield

"who knew a game of cricket between england and scotland would be so important... lol "

Not a great total considering the start England made. I hope I'm wrong but I can see this being close.

By *lassyandadventurousMan  over a year ago

England and Wales

We will win this one....then lose the rest

Got to love watching Chris Gayle bat when he's flowing and on form

"Got to love watching Chris Gayle bat when he's flowing and on form"

The big man is a legend

"Got to love watching Chris Gayle bat when he's flowing and on form

The big man is a legend "

wouldn't Go as far as legend but he can smack a ball some distance

Ireland vs UAE - what a game!

chesterfield

"Ireland vs UAE - what a game!"

Tense finish. I hope Ireland don't mess it up now.

"Ireland vs UAE - what a game!

Tense finish. I hope Ireland don't mess it up now."

Lots of twists and turns, a very good game, good result chasing down 280

chesterfield

Ireland must be in with a good chance of going through now.

"Ireland must be in with a good chance of going through now."

You would hope so, although still plenty of twists and turns yet in that Group I suspect. Wonder if Eoin Morgan is wishing he had stuck to his roots and played for the mighty Green Army!

"Ireland must be in with a good chance of going through now."

A good chance, but ideally they need to beat zimbabwe

"I think south Africa have the edge this year

X "

yes South Africa could win it if they get to the final, As for England they have no chance to win in the forum they in..

[Removed by poster at 25/02/15 16:52:55]

X

yes South Africa could win it if they get to the final, As for England they have no chance to win in the forum they in..

Can't see south Africa even getting to the final, they are there own worst enemy, already been destroyed by India and the way the tables are working out there going to be facing Australia or New Zealand in the quarters"

Personally, not enjoying the World Cup as much as the last one: the balance between bat and ball is all wrong. The last ten overs are mayhem! With tiny grounds - made shorter still by boundaries being brought in - and fielding restrictions it is an orgy of fours and sixes!

Well done to Ireland - playing with more spirit than England. To Gayle too, though he was soooo lucky! Stone cold LBW, I thought, and early sixes were barely crossing the ropes. Would have holed out several times on normal sized grounds. Looking forward to Australia v New Zealand. Promises to be a cracker

X

Can't see south Africa even getting to the final, they are there own worst enemy, already been destroyed by India and the way the tables are working out there going to be facing Australia or New Zealand in the quarters"

i got money on it that south africa going to do it this time better player this time due to being raised in south africa..

X

Can't see south Africa even getting to the final, they are there own worst enemy, already been destroyed by India and the way the tables are working out there going to be facing Australia or New Zealand in the quarters

i got money on it that south africa going to do it this time better player this time due to being raised in south africa.."

Been raised in south Africa didn't help against india. And last world bus they were all south African and got Turned over

By *ittall2020Man  over a year ago

Norwich

I just looked up the odds for the overall win- currently Oz 7/4, NZ 3/1, SA 7/2, India 11/2, SL 16/1, WI 16/1, England 18/1(!), Pak 45/1, rest 100/1+. A tenner on NZ and a fiver each way on Pak looks a tempting bit of fun.

I bet the windes are sick of the sight of de villiers