FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Qatar FIFA World Cup 2022

Qatar FIFA World Cup 2022

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

November to December 2022.

If it's in 2022 isn't that long enough for people to plan the normal games during "the season" so that it doesn't create a problem?

Am I being dense?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

Not sure, but I read that they were planning the final for Christmas eve?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"November to December 2022.

If it's in 2022 isn't that long enough for people to plan the normal games during "the season" so that it doesn't create a problem?

Am I being dense?"

If you are so am I.

By *icked weaselCouple  over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

Money and Corruption..

its in your face

They Don't Care

Its all about posh watches and other Bribes

"Not sure, but I read that they were planning the final for Christmas eve?"

That's still a working day and the winners would have a great Christmas.

"Money and Corruption..

its in your face

They Don't Care

Its all about posh watches and other Bribes "

So people will take bribes to accept the change from the summer to the winter, even though they are saying Qatar is too hot during the summer?

It's years away.

Near Edinburgh..

"Money and Corruption..

its in your face

They Don't Care

Its all about posh watches and other Bribes

So people will take bribes to accept the change from the summer to the winter, even though they are saying Qatar is too hot during the summer?

It's years away."

They already have..

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

FIFA is utterly corrupt and needs cleaning out -

Near Edinburgh..

YES - and its going to interrupt the Current UK Football calendar...

"YES - and its going to interrupt the Current UK Football calendar... "

How does it affect the calendar now? This is what I don't understand. The tournament in question is on 2022.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

It should never have been awarded to Qatar in the first place and now everyone involved is in a hole. It can't be played in the Summer at 40-50 degrees, yet moving it to Winter means messing up the schedules over here. Teams putting out substandard teams (great for teams with players who aren't called up who get an advantage) and it will impact on attendances and viewing figures for domestic football. If we move our stuff about, have a break, then it either elongates an already long season or means games get pushed together, risking wear and tear on player and so on.

Plus, the workforce over there are being killed off through poor working practices and there is a whiff of corruption about the whole affair.

"It should never have been awarded to Qatar in the first place and now everyone involved is in a hole. It can't be played in the Summer at 40-50 degrees, yet moving it to Winter means messing up the schedules over here. Teams putting out substandard teams (great for teams with players who aren't called up who get an advantage) and it will impact on attendances and viewing figures for domestic football. If we move our stuff about, have a break, then it either elongates an already long season or means games get pushed together, risking wear and tear on player and so on.

Plus, the workforce over there are being killed off through poor working practices and there is a whiff of corruption about the whole affair. "

I have understood all of that but I don't understand why 'the season' can't be adjusted, with proper planning, given that it's in 2022. That's a year to agree the adjustment and six years before it's implemented.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

We should just go on strike and avoid going to the World Cup that year.

Am I being dense?"

It's boys stuff I wouldn't worry about it pet, why not bake some cakes or run the hoover round there's a love

"Money and Corruption..

its in your face

They Don't Care

Its all about posh watches and other Bribes "

I agree why else would Qatar and Russia be awarded these tournaments? Nothing to do with the fact these country are loaded is it?!

"We should just go on strike and avoid going to the World Cup that year."

Or just give it the Germans now and save all the bother

Titz Towers, North Notts

I'm not sure how it could be adjusted in a way that's fair to teams of all leagues. If we have the break, then it either pushes the games closer in an already busy schedule, or makes the season longer. There is the league, FA Cup, European Cup, Milk Cup or whatever it's now called, the paint pot trophy and training matches. All of which are vested interests. Who gets adjusted and suffers loss, isn't a job I'd like to have to sort out.

Fuck it, just send the Premier League teams reverse English players and maybe a few Championship players. Then our schedule can stay the same.

"It should never have been awarded to Qatar in the first place and now everyone involved is in a hole. It can't be played in the Summer at 40-50 degrees, yet moving it to Winter means messing up the schedules over here. Teams putting out substandard teams (great for teams with players who aren't called up who get an advantage) and it will impact on attendances and viewing figures for domestic football. If we move our stuff about, have a break, then it either elongates an already long season or means games get pushed together, risking wear and tear on player and so on.

Plus, the workforce over there are being killed off through poor working practices and there is a whiff of corruption about the whole affair.

I have understood all of that but I don't understand why 'the season' can't be adjusted, with proper planning, given that it's in 2022. That's a year to agree the adjustment and six years before it's implemented.

"

what it boils down to is that it would require change, and people don't like change.

By *he tactile technicianMan  over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

The Countries that are going to be the most affected should boycott the World Cup in 22, and let us sit back and watch FIFA get out of that mess.....that would teach the corrupt bastards!

By *U1966Man  over a year ago

Devon

Why not do the same as Rugby Union and play the league matches with squad players would not affect the sides with English players much

We are England were only gonna miss a fortnight of the season in november

This does, of course, assume we qualify to play for the tournament .

By *odareyouMan  over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

"

Not that easy, there's a qualifying competition who's dates are set by fifa that fit around the domestic leagues and club competition given the playoff systems for world cups you'd be lucky to get few months

As above, that is a very pertinent statement!!

As for Scotland, I'm sure during qualifying we'll snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again

"

The change will impact about 50 domestic leagues globally and will in effect disrupt 2-3 seasons. The season before will have to be shortened, the season of the world cup will be disrupted and the season afterwards will suffer the impact.

While I can understand the desire of FIFA to take the world cup to different regions, when it impacts the rest of the world and most importantly the fans, one has to question the decision making process.

Ultimately, football belongs to no one but the fans, and it appears that they are the ones who have been given the least consideration in all of this.

FIFA is an organisation that is not fit for purpose, it is corrupt, it is non accountable and it is self serving. Until the major sponsors take action nothing will change.

Only pressure from TV companies and sponsors will any change be seen.

"This does, of course, assume we qualify to play for the tournament . "

It makes little or no difference given how few English players actually play in the Premier League! One idea would be to leave the league unchanged and play the junior players from each club for the period while the senior players are missing. Might give a few players a chance they might not ordinarily get, but I doubt the paymasters at Sky or the Premier League would want to see their franchise down graded for any period of time.

It should have been in Austrailia !

I find it amazing how Fifa continues in its current function without being required to change. It is clearly corrupt, as has been proven repeatedly and the robust rebuttal was...? That everyone's out to get them! They had a 'thorough' internal investigation which cleared them of any wrong doing, after the investigator stated that his findings had been misinterpreted and misreported. They employed someone with the intention of cutting out corruption and making Fifa more transparent and then ignored their recommendations and forced their resignation.

The world cup was awarded to Qatar the worlds richest country per capita because....?

Fifa reports to no one they are autonomous and obviously corrupt yet every football authority does nothing about it. The question is how can it change?

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

I can still picture that Qatar's blokes face, the look of suprise and shock when Qatar's name was called out to host the WC

"I can still picture that Qatar's blokes face, the look of suprise and shock when Qatar's name was called out to host the WC "

Fifa's own selectors said that Qatar was unfit as it was too hot during the summer, how does that fit into the selection process which they win?

So after a 4 year selection process in the worlds largest sporting organisation they overlooked the recommendations of their top selectors by accident??

"I can still picture that Qatar's blokes face, the look of suprise and shock when Qatar's name was called out to host the WC

Fifa's own selectors said that Qatar was unfit as it was too hot during the summer, how does that fit into the selection process which they win?

So after a 4 year selection process in the worlds largest sporting organisation they overlooked the recommendations of their top selectors by accident?? "

It will be interesting to see if anyone mounts a legal challenge. The bidding process for the World Cup was based on it being in the specified months. I would love someone to give it a go. The entire football calendar works around major tournaments and their qualifications process. As an industry, to have an unaccountable organisation disrupting a number of commercial businesses, it should be open to challenge. If I were the Premier League CEO I would be drafting my complaint as we speak.

By *picyspiregirlCouple  over a year ago

chesterfield

"I can still picture that Qatar's blokes face, the look of suprise and shock when Qatar's name was called out to host the WC "

Although I'm not sure awarding it to Qatar was a wise move it is done and needs to be sorted.

I believe people are making a mountain out of a mole hill now. We have no problem accommodating the Africa cup of nations every other year in the middle of a season, why can't we do that with the World Cup once?

As an aside, I think that it will do British football a world of good. If clubs start planning now it is a great opportunity to bring through British talent therefore diminishing any negative impact the World Cup would have on their club.

"I can still picture that Qatar's blokes face, the look of suprise and shock when Qatar's name was called out to host the WC

So after a 4 year selection process in the worlds largest sporting organisation they overlooked the recommendations of their top selectors by accident??

It will be interesting to see if anyone mounts a legal challenge. The bidding process for the World Cup was based on it being in the specified months. I would love someone to give it a go. The entire football calendar works around major tournaments and their qualifications process. As an industry, to have an unaccountable organisation disrupting a number of commercial businesses, it should be open to challenge. If I were the Premier League CEO I would be drafting my complaint as we speak."

Interesting thought. Many associations won't rock the boat as they want to curry favour and not miss out on the opportunity to host the world cup, something that well never do again

It will be interesting to see if anyone mounts a legal challenge. The bidding process for the World Cup was based on it being in the specified months. I would love someone to give it a go. The entire football calendar works around major tournaments and their qualifications process. As an industry, to have an unaccountable organisation disrupting a number of commercial businesses, it should be open to challenge. If I were the Premier League CEO I would be drafting my complaint as we speak.

Interesting thought. Many associations won't rock the boat as they want to curry favour and not miss out on the opportunity to host the world cup, something that well never do again"

It isn't the associations though that control the top leagues in many countries. The Premier League couldn't give a flying f*&k whether England ever hosts a World Cup. All they are interested in is their £2bn a year business. In any other commercial business there would be a huge claim going in for loss of earnings etc.

Interesting thought. Many associations won't rock the boat as they want to curry favour and not miss out on the opportunity to host the world cup, something that well never do again

It isn't the associations though that control the top leagues in many countries. The Premier League couldn't give a flying f*&k whether England ever hosts a World Cup. All they are interested in is their £2bn a year business. In any other commercial business there would be a huge claim going in for loss of earnings etc."

The premier league can't control anything, can you really see scudamore doing anything other than moaning to the papers

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"YES - and its going to interrupt the Current UK Football calendar...

How does it affect the calendar now? This is what I don't understand. The tournament in question is on 2022."

It won't affect it now... But it will for about 2 years either side.... It will mean that for 2021, 2022 and 2023 and probably 2024 it will mean shorter summer breaks..it will mean more midweek fixtures as the games will need to be made up in time... Euro 2024 qualifying can't start till the world cup is over... So they will have to fit all the qualifying for that in a 1 year period

"YES - and its going to interrupt the Current UK Football calendar...

How does it affect the calendar now? This is what I don't understand. The tournament in question is on 2022.

It won't affect it now... But it will for about 2 years either side.... It will mean that for 2021, 2022 and 2023 and probably 2024 it will mean shorter summer breaks..it will mean more midweek fixtures as the games will need to be made up in time... Euro 2024 qualifying can't start till the world cup is over... So they will have to fit all the qualifying for that in a 1 year period "

I hadn't even thought about the Euros!

Although I'm not sure awarding it to Qatar was a wise move it is done and needs to be sorted.

I believe people are making a mountain out of a mole hill now. We have no problem accommodating the Africa cup of nations every other year in the middle of a season, why can't we do that with the World Cup once?

As an aside, I think that it will do British football a world of good. If clubs start planning now it is a great opportunity to bring through British talent therefore diminishing any negative impact the World Cup would have on their club."

Exactly.

It isn't the associations though that control the top leagues in many countries. The Premier League couldn't give a flying f*&k whether England ever hosts a World Cup. All they are interested in is their £2bn a year business. In any other commercial business there would be a huge claim going in for loss of earnings etc.

The premier league can't control anything, can you really see scudamore doing anything other than moaning to the papers"

If you think that the FA controls the game in this country rather than Scudamore think again! He would be delighted if there was no more international football. All he cares about is his "business", why wouldn't he seek to protect his £2bn+ per year? That is one of the main problems with the game in this country in particular, the FA is a powerless organisation.

As an aside, I think that it will do British football a world of good. If clubs start planning now it is a great opportunity to bring through British talent therefore diminishing any negative impact the World Cup would have on their club.

Exactly."

Very simplistic the Africa cup of nations has few players from the top clubs. the big problem is Where do the fixtures go you can't bring them back without disrupting the major competitions or push them forward without the same impact it's not just a month that's just the tournament it's the weeks of preparation that go before it as well this will be about 8 weeks....

chesterfield

Exactly.

Very simplistic the Africa cup of nations has few players from the top clubs. the big problem is Where do the fixtures go you can't bring them back without disrupting the major competitions or push them forward without the same impact it's not just a month that's just the tournament it's the weeks of preparation that go before it as well this will be about 8 weeks.... "

The current approach by British clubs is the only simplistic thing on display. With only a very few notable exceptions, British clubs buy in players rather than have a long term strategy to develop their own. This is the perfect chance to develop youth systems and be less reliant on imports.

If each premier league club has a target to have at least 50% of match day squads coming through their own youth systems by the time of Qatar everyone wins. A much wider choice from which to select a squad of only 22. Less money being spent on short term possible solutions. A stronger foundation for the British game as it would return to being about the best club not the biggest wallet and the cost would be two months minor inconvenience.

The simplistic approach would be to sulk about it saying it's not fair.

P.s. Don't alter the fixtures.

By *aro7Man  over a year ago

wickford

As a kid/ young adult, I loved football, couldn't get enough, watching and playing. I now have lost all interest. Football has now become a business a game not now for the everyday people, but for the prawn sandwich brigade,,,,,,a real shame. I mean FIFA letting a Middle East country host the World Cup in the middle of European seasons,,,,,,,to appease these people, what a joke, money, corruption, it stinks. I bet all these extremists are rubbing their hands together,,,,,,and can't wait. Football and FIFA have become a huge let down, you know what it makes me sad.

Exactly.

Very simplistic the Africa cup of nations has few players from the top clubs. the big problem is Where do the fixtures go you can't bring them back without disrupting the major competitions or push them forward without the same impact it's not just a month that's just the tournament it's the weeks of preparation that go before it as well this will be about 8 weeks....

The current approach by British clubs is the only simplistic thing on display. With only a very few notable exceptions, British clubs buy in players rather than have a long term strategy to develop their own. This is the perfect chance to develop youth systems and be less reliant on imports.

If each premier league club has a target to have at least 50% of match day squads coming through their own youth systems by the time of Qatar everyone wins. A much wider choice from which to select a squad of only 22. Less money being spent on short term possible solutions. A stronger foundation for the British game as it would return to being about the best club not the biggest wallet and the cost would be two months minor inconvenience.

P.s. Don't alter the fixtures."

You've got to, look at each premier club and the sheer number of internationals on their books. The premier league would end up being won by the team with the fewest internals players

FIFA statement today, no compensation, no problem, stop moaning!

"FIFA statement today, no compensation, no problem, stop moaning!

"

Of course no compensation, sepp won't share his money!

Of course no compensation, sepp won't share his money!"

What money? He is only in it for the love of the game!

Titz Towers, North Notts

Of course no compensation, sepp won't share his money!"

Nathan Caton, the comedian, phrased this as meaning they've spent the bribe money already.

Nathan Caton, the comedian, phrased this as meaning they've spent the bribe money already. "

Either spent it, or he has the worlds most comfortable bed with all the cash stuffed under it!

Nathan Caton, the comedian, phrased this as meaning they've spent the bribe money already.

Either spent it, or he has the worlds most comfortable bed with all the cash stuffed under it!"

Maybe he's prepaid for a slot at the dignitas clinic for him and the executive commitee for when he gets caught

Exactly.

P.s. Don't alter the fixtures."

nice idea.

This doesn't effect just premier clubs, championship clubs are also iimpacted, ... Let's assume you get a large number of English players good enough in 6 years... fixture wise It's an international tournament other countries will call up theire players.. England might call up your players teams will be reduced, let's say you get a crop of players from say man utd they might be called up so man u have no first team players against say Liverpool first 11... You're restricted on the number of players you can have in a squad...Errr.... That can't be right...

Where do the fixtures go European champions league uefa league, and don't forget when does world cup qualifying take place right after the Euro's.... So bringing the fixtures back ain't easy.

chesterfield

Exactly.

You've got to, look at each premier club and the sheer number of internationals on their books. The premier league would end up being won by the team with the fewest internals players"

Exactly so why don't we try to get our own youth systems working properly now? Maybe if we did that we wouldn't be importing average players, only the very best from which we could further improve our own players.

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

Blatter out! Simples!

Exactly.

You've got to, look at each premier club and the sheer number of internationals on their books. The premier league would end up being won by the team with the fewest internals players

Exactly so why don't we try to get our own youth systems working properly now? Maybe if we did that we wouldn't be importing average players, only the very best from which we could further improve our own players.

"

I agree with you 100% about developing good young talent, that needs to happen irrespective of the world cup.

What you say about importing the cream and improving our players is the argument used years ago when foreign stars first started arriving and look where its got us! Sadly it isn't about youngsters being taught a few tricks its about changing the sense of entitlement that they have, many young players simply don't work hard enough

London

"I agree with you 100% about developing good young talent, that needs to happen irrespective of the world cup.

What you say about importing the cream and improving our players is the argument used years ago when foreign stars first started arriving and look where its got us! Sadly it isn't about youngsters being taught a few tricks its about changing the sense of entitlement that they have, many young players simply don't work hard enough"

True! Young British players need to understand that they are competing globally. Most young players abroad are trying to work their way out of poverty and work very hard to do so.

But back to World Cup. Qatar has no football heritage, it's exceptionally hot, will price most fans out and (due to the heat) rescheduling will play havoc with most football calenders worldwide. There was nothing good about giving the World Cup to Qatar apart from being a cash cow for the fat cats at FIFA.

By *mwstaffsMan  over a year ago

brownhills

What happened to the air con stadiums and isnt the africa cup of nations due in jan 2023 which will complicate things

Am I being dense?

It's boys stuff I wouldn't worry about it pet, why not bake some cakes or run the hoover round there's a love "

Bake? Hoover? What are these things?

Now, this may be controversial but if this is a WORLD CUP shouldn't every nation be able to host it as sometime if they win the bid? Given that a lot of the world is hot this can't be the first or only time this issue is likely to come up.

Sorting it out now helps them iron out how to make changes that will affect three seasons and other competitions.

Another, possibly, dense moment but isn't FIFA responsible for the other bits too or are they governed by something else?

Am I being dense?

It's boys stuff I wouldn't worry about it pet, why not bake some cakes or run the hoover round there's a love

Bake? Hoover? What are these things?

Now, this may be controversial but if this is a WORLD CUP shouldn't every nation be able to host it as sometime if they win the bid? Given that a lot of the world is hot this can't be the first or only time this issue is likely to come up.

Sorting it out now helps them iron out how to make changes that will affect three seasons and other competitions.

Another, possibly, dense moment but isn't FIFA responsible for the other bits too or are they governed by something else?

"

Yep... And Qatar's bid was based on the summer tournament and they'd be building air conditioned Stadia, that wasn't possible / feasible hence this misht mash of a cock up.

Each country has its own Fa they

make up various other groups uefa for Europe concacaf for the Americas there'll be an African association and Asian australasian association these organise other tournaments.... and all fa's are part of fifa.

Given the amount of other tournaments competitions the calendar is pretty full, in England the season finishes the end of may, the qualifying for the following seasons competitions starts in July. the tournament is 4 weeks long the pre tournamen preparations are normally three to four weeks that's a lot of fixtures to find space in a calendar.

Forum Mod

"

But back to World Cup. Qatar has no football heritage, it's exceptionally hot, will price most fans out and (due to the heat) rescheduling will play havoc with most football calenders worldwide. There was nothing good about giving the World Cup to Qatar apart from being a cash cow for the fat cats at FIFA. "

"

Yep... And Qatar's bid was based on the summer tournament and they'd be building air conditioned Stadia, that wasn't possible / feasible hence this misht mash of a cock up.

Each country has its own Fa they

make up various other groups uefa for Europe concacaf for the Americas there'll be an African association and Asian australasian association these organise other tournaments.... and all fa's are part of fifa.

Given the amount of other tournaments competitions the calendar is pretty full, in England the season finishes the end of may, the qualifying for the following seasons competitions starts in July. the tournament is 4 weeks long the pre tournamen preparations are normally three to four weeks that's a lot of fixtures to find space in a calendar.

"

But they're all part of FIFA.

London

"But they're all part of FIFA. "

Have you ever heard the term "Shit rolls downhill?"

Our FA governs the Premier and Football league in England. UEFA governs the FA and other football associations within Europe. FIFA governs all of the continental associations worldwide. FIFA have made a decision and everyone has to deal with it. Many associations objected but "shit rolls downhill" so they have to make it work.

For many FAs, the thought of a winter World cup is way beyond practical but FIFA have the final say because it's an international tournament.

They are members of FIFA, not a part of and that's why it's still going ahead.

By *lungerforyouMan  over a year ago

cleveleys

don't know why anyone bothered about 2022 world cup,the way things going at moment all that part off the world might belong to isis!!! who the hell would want to go there then.

By *remiumChocolate_milkMan  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

Was thinking about this earlier and why not?

I think people are being selfish thinking that it can only be held in the summer and denying the opportunity for countries such as Qatar to hold it.

What about the African Nations Cup? Does that not disrupt European football? OK it's a smaller scale but it still disrupts many clubs.

Come on, professional clubs have reserve and youth teams that they can call upon.

By *ildt123Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield

While I agree FIFA are corrupt and the vote was rigged, the vote was for a summer World Cup if that isn't the case the vote is null and void, it can be done and it's not as big a deal in the rest of the world as it is here and in parts of Europe.

The world cup impacts on club football everytime it's played, South america, Australia, Africa etc etc. They manage, so all we.

No the league cannot continue for the five or so weeks of the World Cup there are just too many internationals playing in PL there won't be anyone left!

Even top European leagues are less bothered than us, Germany aren't really seeing a problem as they have a 40 day winter break anyway, other european countries do similar if a bit shorter.

The PL have their panties in a knot because it effects the lucrative xmas period mainly.

Qatar may not have a football heritage, but how can they its effectively a 50 year old country, but they are obsessed by the game, especially ours.

Also the dangerous working practises thing, whilst true there is some mischievous making. Papers here implying that people are dying building the stadia, in reality not one brick has been laid in stadia yet so how are they?

Yes the conditions for migrant workers there are poor but they are improving and hosting such a high profile competition will accelerate that.

A World Cup that isn't at the end of a long and exhausting season might just make for a better one too!

It's a 28 day tournament start 2 weeks early finish 2 weeks later plus a bit extra either side for training and recovery, players will get longer time off than normal in a world cup year!

Blatter out still tho

London

"Was thinking about this earlier and why not?

I think people are being selfish thinking that it can only be held in the summer and denying the opportunity for countries such as Qatar to hold it.

What about the African Nations Cup? Does that not disrupt European football? OK it's a smaller scale but it still disrupts many clubs.

Come on, professional clubs have reserve and youth teams that they can call upon. "

You're right. The African cup of nations is on a smaller scale and not every footballing nation worldwide is trying to make the finals. It was moved from even years to odd years to give African nations a better chance in the World Cup. It could mean two international competitions back to back for some countries. That's a lot of games and you're still playing club football.

Let's be honest, Football is not big in Qatar and their federation was founded in 1960: very young for a footballing nation and they're building from scratch. Plus, the "air con" will help the fans but not the players. There were countries that were better placed to hold the tournament which wouldn't have caused so much upheaval.

If we're talking about being selfish then why Qatar? Why not the Caribbean?

By *ildt123Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield

Probably because the Caribbean couldn't afford it in terms of stadia and infrastructure and they didn't bid did they?

I don't agree with it but I really can't see it being such a huge issue as the UK seem to make out, the rest of the world doesn't seem to either.

London

"Probably because the Caribbean couldn't afford it in terms of stadia and infrastructure and they didn't bid did they?

I don't agree with it but I really can't see it being such a huge issue as the UK seem to make out, the rest of the world doesn't seem to either."

Worth a shot. It would be nicer!

It will cause issues but the scale will vary. Some European countries are not fussed as they have a winter break, some are as the fixtures will be a nightmare.

Better start saving. Going out there won't be cheap!

"While I agree FIFA are corrupt and the vote was rigged, the vote was for a summer World Cup if that isn't the case the vote is null and void, it can be done and it's not as big a deal in the rest of the world as it is here and in parts of Europe.

The world cup impacts on club football everytime it's played, South america, Australia, Africa etc etc. They manage, so all we.

No the league cannot continue for the five or so weeks of the World Cup there are just too many internationals playing in PL there won't be anyone left!

Even top European leagues are less bothered than us, Germany aren't really seeing a problem as they have a 40 day winter break anyway, other european countries do similar if a bit shorter.

The PL have their panties in a knot because it effects the lucrative xmas period mainly.

Qatar may not have a football heritage, but how can they its effectively a 50 year old country, but they are obsessed by the game, especially ours.

Also the dangerous working practises thing, whilst true there is some mischievous making. Papers here implying that people are dying building the stadia, in reality not one brick has been laid in stadia yet so how are they?

Yes the conditions for migrant workers there are poor but they are improving and hosting such a high profile competition will accelerate that.

A World Cup that isn't at the end of a long and exhausting season might just make for a better one too!

It's a 28 day tournament start 2 weeks early finish 2 weeks later plus a bit extra either side for training and recovery, players will get longer time off than normal in a world cup year!

Blatter out still tho "

How can you start two to three weeks early the play offs don't finish until the end of may... Normal premier league season starts mid august the European champions league qualifying starts in July... Finish later err when... Same problem at the other end.. As for recovery..I think you'll find there's less for the top players

"Was thinking about this earlier and why not?

Come on, professional clubs have reserve and youth teams that they can call upon.

You're right. The African cup of nations is on a smaller scale and not every footballing nation worldwide is trying to make the finals. It was moved from even years to odd years to give African nations a better chance in the World Cup. It could mean two international competitions back to back for some countries. That's a lot of games and you're still playing club football.

Let's be honest, Football is not big in Qatar and their federation was founded in 1960: very young for a footballing nation and they're building from scratch. Plus, the "air con" will help the fans but not the players. There were countries that were better placed to hold the tournament which wouldn't have caused so much upheaval.

If we're talking about being selfish then why Qatar? Why not the Caribbean? "

What about hurricane season?

Cost would rule out most Caribbean countries.

FIFA have tried to get every country coordinate their seasons to run concurrently and then balls it all up by shoving the World Cup into the middle

London

Money talks I guess.

The rescheduling will affect three seasons of world football apparently. It better be worth it!

Come on Figo!

By *remiumChocolate_milkMan  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

Cost wouldn't rule out Caribbean countries. It's mostly sponsorship and advertising anyway.

Wouldn't cost have ruled out south Africa if it wasn't?

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Blatter out still tho

How can you start two to three weeks early the play offs don't finish until the end of may... Normal premier league season starts mid august the European champions league qualifying starts in July... Finish later err when... Same problem at the other end.. As for recovery..I think you'll find there's less for the top players"

the 21-22 season would have to finish earlier,

the 22-23 season would have to start earlier and finish later....

plus euro 2024 qualifying couldn't start, till the world cup was over, so you have to fit in all those fixtures within a 1 year span,

then the 23-24 season would start later... and probably finish later because of the euro 2024 tournament

so it would be 24-25 till they could get back to somewhere near normal

"Not sure, but I read that they were planning the final for Christmas eve?"

That would be amazing, and would totally justify all those slave labour deaths

By *igoodnightCouple  over a year ago

Darlington

Ok there's a good chance we won't even qualify

» Add a new message to this topic