FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > IT Tech

IT Tech

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Bought a Toshiba notebook today, 500GB, 1GB of RAM, running on windows explorer, absolutely shocking, even typing a few letters makes the internet crash.

Any advice to try and stop this happening?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Check your internet connection!

"Check your internet connection! "

Its running fine

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

with 1gb ram it sounds like it's a used lap top and an old one at that. I'd think either the processor is old, or the hard drive has had it - hope you didn't pay a lot for it... I am trying to think of something nice to say but I think you may have just thrown your money away.

Have you kept the receipt?

"with 1gb ram it sounds like it's a used lap top and an old one at that. I'd think either the processor is old, or the hard drive has had it - hope you didn't pay a lot for it... I am trying to think of something nice to say but I think you may have just thrown your money away.

Have you kept the receipt? "

£60 and yep, there's a computer shop 20ft from mine so might pop in tomorrow and see what they say

With a half gig of Ram, I'd be curious which Windows version your running.

To find out, go to the Start Menu and right click on "Computer" or "My Computer".

"With a half gig of Ram, I'd be curious which Windows version your running.

To find out, go to the Start Menu and right click on "Computer" or "My Computer"."

Windows 7

That's the problem then, Windows 7 does not run reliably on under 1 GB of RAM, and really needs a minimum of 2GB

yumsville

"

£60 and yep, there's a computer shop 20ft from mine so might pop in tomorrow and see what they say"

they will tell you to put an extra gb of ram in for another £20 maybe £30 .. it will not do anything at all. I would ask for your money back.

The laptop will old. The parts will be old, and replaced with old parts as modern parts will not have the same connectors as they run at different speeds nowadays.

You could possibly if you had the money snatch a 1/2 decent lappy on Ebuyer for £120, but dont be sukkered into being told to upgrade or replace any parts on that machine you have. It will be too old to update effectively.

"That's the problem then, Windows 7 does not run reliably on under 1 GB of RAM, and really needs a minimum of 2GB"

Windows C: 202GB

Data D: 226GB

yumsville

take other peoples opinions too .... but someone selling a laptop with just 1gb of ram in todays world, doesn't sound like it will stand up imo.

That's the Hard Disk capacity, long term storage... RAM is short term memory... you said it had 1 GB.

They've also split the hard disk into two partitions, pretty pointless with a small hard drive.

As the other poster said, you're really better off going on an auction site and getting a new model. Alternatively try your local PC shop and see if they can do a deal on a laptop for you.

You bought a lemon, sorry.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"That's the problem then, Windows 7 does not run reliably on under 1 GB of RAM, and really needs a minimum of 2GB"

Unless it's the Windows 7 Starter, which is a cut down version for notebooks. 1GB will not be enough for any other version of Windows 7, including Windows 7 Home.

You may be able to upgrade the memory to 2GB which helped with my Notebook

Try this site which will tell you if you can upgrade the memory and what is currently in there.

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en?gclid=CO_Y2ojs-8MCFcfMtAodyFgApQ&cm_mmc=google-_-uk-_-brand-_-null&ef_id=VO0DPgAABY4iWra6:20150225003120:s

yumsville

go to

-start menu

-control panel

-system and security

-system

then type off what the processor, ram and operating system is 32/64bit from there

;)

Or Right Click on Computer (in the Start menu) and select Properties.

By *ohn_d57Man  over a year ago

Bedlington

"Bought a Toshiba notebook today, 500GB, 1GB of RAM, running on windows explorer, absolutely shocking, even typing a few letters makes the internet crash.

Any advice to try and stop this happening?"

we now Know it is a toshibe with !gb memory running windows 7 but you haven't said which processor it has also if it is second hand & windows 7 has been installed have you checked device manager to see if all the drivers are installed there are a lot of things which make a computer runs smooth

"Bought a Toshiba notebook today, 500GB, 1GB of RAM, running on windows explorer, absolutely shocking, even typing a few letters makes the internet crash.

we now Know it is a toshibe with !gb memory running windows 7 but you haven't said which processor it has also if it is second hand & windows 7 has been installed have you checked device manager to see if all the drivers are installed there are a lot of things which make a computer runs smooth "

Yes its second hand

Bedlington

we now Know it is a toshibe with !gb memory running windows 7 but you haven't said which processor it has also if it is second hand & windows 7 has been installed have you checked device manager to see if all the drivers are installed there are a lot of things which make a computer runs smooth

Yes its second hand "

shame your not close to me have been building & repairing the for well over 20yrs also have helped out a good few people on here

Just gonna give up, try to open internet explorer and it crashes instantly, taking it back and getting a refund

Bedlington

"Just gonna give up, try to open internet explorer and it crashes instantly, taking it back and getting a refund"

I think I would good luck just hope they will refund you mind there is some good deals on new laptop just now so would give some of the shop a look check out Dabs

yumsville

laptops direct have some refurbished cheap stuff too

Minimum spec quoted by Microsoft for Windows 7 was 2GB Ram, but their recommended minimum was 4GB.

With only 1GB it will run like a pig - but will still run. The problem is that with such low RAM disc caching will be much higher.

I have just had to swap the drive from my laptop to a lower spec due to problems (they're both quite old now) and am having similar issues, but this is just a temporary measure until I upgrade.

My desktop though had 16GB RAM, which I need for HD video editing

1 gb of ram is crap if u wanna watch movies dload anything then minimum sys ram should be 4 gb so u need a 3 gb upgrade

I run an old toshiba satellite,that has only one gb of ram,but I can type,use a web cam on Skype,and woks fine,but I did ditch explorer for google chrome,which sorted my slow problem...

Anyone else with an older machine, go to to the crucial memory website, download their system memory scanner tool and run it.

It will see what model pc it is, look at your memory and tell you the compatible upgrade options and the price.

With memory being cheap it can be a cheap performance boost.

By *HaRiFMan  over a year ago

Beyond the shadows.

for £60 it isn't a bad deal.

Your laptop just might need it completely erasing and windows 7 reinstalling on it again.

The minimum spec to run windows 7 on a laptop is;

A processor rated at 1 Gigahertz or faster.

1GB of RAM

At least 16GB of storage space

A DX9-compatible graphics card, with the WDDM 1.0 driver

So a gig of memory is fine. But 2 more gig in it, it be better (assuming your laptop can, take more memory). Also consider putting in a Hybrid ssd as well.

Alternatively you can just put linux mint operating system on it.

By *ootballPaulMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Ok from an IT persons perspective..£60 for a used laptop is a fair deal its just the ram that is slowing it down hold down the windows key and pause\break together a window will open telling you if its windows 7 32bit or 64 bit. 1GB is the minimum needed to run a 32bit system therefore it is likely to be 32bit(google it)the minimum thou is not practical you need 4gb in total for it to be any use

By *lttattoocoupleCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

1gb of ram is not alot I'm afraid.

Upgrade your ram and have your hdd checked. Upgrading your ram should help

yumsville

"for £60 it isn't a bad deal.

Your laptop just might need it completely erasing and windows 7 reinstalling on it again.

The minimum spec to run windows 7 on a laptop is;

A processor rated at 1 Gigahertz or faster.

1GB of RAM

At least 16GB of storage space

A DX9-compatible graphics card, with the WDDM 1.0 driver

So a gig of memory is fine. But 2 more gig in it, it be better (assuming your laptop can, take more memory). Also consider putting in a Hybrid ssd as well.

Alternatively you can just put linux mint operating system on it."

But buying an ssd will be £40-50, ghosting the operating system will be another £40 as the average user has to have an IT professional do this. That is all depending if the connectors are able to take the ssd. Extra ram on top, is another expense, and when you factor in the processor itself is probably slow and old anyway, the OP may as well get a more modern used lappy off ebay for £120 (maybe less if lucky) and save the hassle..

» Add a new message to this topic