FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > New driving under the influence law

New driving under the influence law

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

The new driving under the influence of drugs law comes into force next week on 2nd March.

It has always been an offence to drive whilst impaired but the new law is much stricter and will test for morphine.

If you are taking painkillers check your dosage levels with your GP, don't top up with codeine based painkillers and make sure you can prove you are not impaired, have a regular prescription and keep below the new legal limit.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

How do you know if you are over the morphine or any drug limit?

"How do you know if you are over the morphine or any drug limit?"

You need to check your dosage levels with your doctor. Some dosages could take you over and if you top up with over the counter painkillers that might too.

It's going to be tricky, as I understand it.

There's a saliva test for morphine so codeine will show up. Just as there is an alcohol limit the drug limit will apply.

By *asokittyWoman  over a year ago

Nr Worksop

As long as you have a prescription for the drugs you'll be fine.

"As long as you have a prescription for the drugs you'll be fine. "

Not necessarily. If your prescription takes you over the new legal limit you will be over the limit. You would have to prove that being over the limit does not impair you in anyway.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I've never been able to hold a driving licence because of my medication but the amount of cocodomol I take I wouldn't be able to anyway

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Some medication actually states not to drive...

"Some medication actually states not to drive... "

A few people take notice of it but from Monday the law will be stronger in this area.

I wonder when the first lawsuit will be filed against a doctor for prescribing medicines and not informing the patient that they are at risk from the new law?

all sounds a load of cows testicles to me speacially the usa tests where u have to walk along white lines with yr head back with your finger on yr nose wtf does that prove ?

If they wanna test you for drug driving surely they would simply do what employers do ie swab test or piss test.

"all sounds a load of cows testicles to me speacially the usa tests where u have to walk along white lines with yr head back with your finger on yr nose wtf does that prove ?

If they wanna test you for drug driving surely they would simply do what employers do ie swab test or piss test."

There's a saliva test and if they feel there is cause then they may ask for other tests.

"I wonder when the first lawsuit will be filed against a doctor for prescribing medicines and not informing the patient that they are at risk from the new law?

"

A doctor has never discussed driving with me as part of prescribing. I read the leaflets but I know not everyone does.

"As long as you have a prescription for the drugs you'll be fine. "

What about over the counter drugs such as day nurse codeine tramadol to help get you through work when you got the flu......sounds to me the powers that be have rushed this new law through without much thought but ime sure it will just be a smokescreen for on the spot fines like speeding etc

By *icked weaselCouple  over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

Hubby been on SLOW Release Morphine for years...

It Does Not Affect his Driving..

and if anything it improves it..

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"The new driving under the influence of drugs law comes into force next week on 2nd March.

It has always been an offence to drive whilst impaired but the new law is much stricter and will test for morphine.

If you are taking painkillers check your dosage levels with your GP, don't top up with codeine based painkillers and make sure you can prove you are not impaired, have a regular prescription and keep below the new legal limit.

"

. How will th test work. I never take pain killers but I am curious as to how they will be tested for .?

"As long as you have a prescription for the drugs you'll be fine.

What about over the counter drugs such as day nurse codeine tramadol to help get you through work when you got the flu......sounds to me the powers that be have rushed this new law through without much thought but ime sure it will just be a smokescreen for on the spot fines like speeding etc "

Yep, you can be over the limit on those too. You need to find out about the limits and what is a safe amount to take and not break the law.

"Hubby been on SLOW Release Morphine for years...

It Does Not Affect his Driving..

and if anything it improves it.. "

His dosage may well be within the limits but he should check.

"The new driving under the influence of drugs law comes into force next week on 2nd March.

. How will th test work. I never take pain killers but I am curious as to how they will be tested for .? "

The information on the radio and on the internet is about a saliva test.

Is it an offence to drive under the influence of a nagging front seat passenger? Hope she ain't reading this.

By *nterracial2Couple  over a year ago

Ribble Valley

No need to go to your doctor. Gov.uk explains it well enough. The blood levels are varied by many things including how fast your body can metabolise opiates, which is different for individuals. Read the leaflets inside your current packets and only speak to you doc if it does impair your dexterity!

Blood test.

If they feel you are driving under influences really don't get how they will know :/

Near Edinburgh..

Never mind people suffering from pain..

Loads of Pensioners out there who are on morphine or vallium and maybe even silly co-codamol and the likes..

This is Stupidity and will lead to lots of court cases.. Just my opinion

Ribble Valley

"Blood test.

If they feel you are driving under influences really don't get how they will know :/ "

They'll only suspect you if you're driving without due care and attention, which would arouse suspicion. They can then request a blood sample which is where the new law comes in!

"No need to go to your doctor. Gov.uk explains it well enough. The blood levels are varied by many things including how fast your body can metabolise opiates, which is different for individuals. Read the leaflets inside your current packets and only speak to you doc if it does impair your dexterity!"

On getting new prescriptions it should be a consideration.

Wisbech and A47 corridor

. How will th test work. I never take pain killers but I am curious as to how they will be tested for .?

"

. Thanks . Will check the internet . What about if you go to the dentist and have an injection to numb your mouth . Is this different .?

. Thanks . Will check the internet . What about if you go to the dentist and have an injection to numb your mouth . Is this different .? "

All the dentists I have used already advise to have someone pick you up and to not drive after mouth surgery.

" What about if you go to the dentist and have an injection to numb your mouth . "

Good idea, i'll try it with my front seat passenger. Ta.

Near Edinburgh..

"What about if you go to the dentist and have an injection to numb your mouth . Is this different .? "

That could show up as well..

And the same with certain Toothpastes..

This really Hasn't been thought thru well at all has it..

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"What about if you go to the dentist and have an injection to numb your mouth . Is this different .?

This really Hasn't been thought thru well at all has it.. "

. Do you know which tooth pastes .? What standard of proof do the police have to have in order to obtain a conviction. ? What are the penalties .?

"What about if you go to the dentist and have an injection to numb your mouth . Is this different .?

This really Hasn't been thought thru well at all has it.. . Do you know which tooth pastes .? What standard of proof do the police have to have in order to obtain a conviction. ? What are the penalties .?"

There's more on the web but here is a simple piece from the Gov site:

The new law sets limits at very low levels for 8 drugs commonly associated with illegal use such as cannabis and cocaine. There are also 8 prescription drugs that are included within the new law. These are:

clonazepam

diazepam

flunitrazepam

lorazepam

oxazepam

temazepam

methadone

morphine

However, the limits that have been set for these drugs exceed normal prescribed doses, meaning that the vast majority of people can drive as they normally would, so long as:

they are taking their medicine in accordance with the advice of a healthcare professional and/or as printed in the accompanying leaflet

their driving is not impaired

Robert Goodwill, Road Safety Minister said:

If you are taking your medicine as directed and your driving is not impaired, then you are not breaking the law and there is no need to worry. We advise anyone who is unsure about the effects of their medication or how the new legislation may affect them, to seek the advice of their doctor or pharmacist

There will also be a medical defence if a driver has been taking medication as directed and is found to be over the limit, but not impaired. THINK! advises drivers who are taking prescribed medication at high doses to carry evidence with them, such as prescriptions slips, when driving in order to minimise any inconvenience should they be asked to take a test by the police.

This really Hasn't been thought thru well at all has it.. . Do you know which tooth pastes .? What standard of proof do the police have to have in order to obtain a conviction. ? What are the penalties .?

There's more on the web but here is a simple piece from the Gov site:

The new law sets limits at very low levels for 8 drugs commonly associated with illegal use such as cannabis and cocaine. There are also 8 prescription drugs that are included within the new law. These are:

clonazepam

diazepam

flunitrazepam

lorazepam

oxazepam

temazepam

methadone

morphine

However, the limits that have been set for these drugs exceed normal prescribed doses, meaning that the vast majority of people can drive as they normally would, so long as:

they are taking their medicine in accordance with the advice of a healthcare professional and/or as printed in the accompanying leaflet

their driving is not impaired

Robert Goodwill, Road Safety Minister said:

If you are taking your medicine as directed and your driving is not impaired, then you are not breaking the law and there is no need to worry. We advise anyone who is unsure about the effects of their medication or how the new legislation may affect them, to seek the advice of their doctor or pharmacist

There will also be a medical defence if a driver has been taking medication as directed and is found to be over the limit, but not impaired. THINK! advises drivers who are taking prescribed medication at high doses to carry evidence with them, such as prescriptions slips, when driving in order to minimise any inconvenience should they be asked to take a test by the police."

I note you mentioned tamazepan ide agree u cant drive on that hell you wouldn't even be able to walk to the car ..it gives your legs a mind of there own and give you a john cleese fawlty towers comedy walk

"As long as you have a prescription for the drugs you'll be fine.

What about over the counter drugs such as day nurse codeine tramadol to help get you through work when you got the flu......sounds to me the powers that be have rushed this new law through without much thought but ime sure it will just be a smokescreen for on the spot fines like speeding etc "

You take tramadol to get you through work when you have the flu?

It all sounds quite sensible to me. No-one should be risking driving when their ability is impaired. Some prescribed drugs have this effect, but you'd already have been warned about potential side effects when prescribed them.

"

I note you mentioned tamazepan ide agree u cant drive on that hell you wouldn't even be able to walk to the car ..it gives your legs a mind of there own and give you a john cleese fawlty towers comedy walk "

I can't take any of the "pams" and leave the house. Half a normal dose will knock me out for over 20 hours.

what about quayloods at least you could hit every obstacle and barrier on your drive home and park yr car in yr drive way a mangled heap but still believe you hadn't hit anything and your car hasn't so much as a scratch on it

Ribble Valley

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/229738/consultation-document.pdf

This was the consultation for the amendments to the law. Makes for a good bedtime read!

Near Edinburgh..

"https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/229738/consultation-document.pdf

This was the consultation for the amendments to the law. Makes for a good bedtime read!"

So the cops will do a swab test.. that will pretty much show up everything from Beef dripping to salt..

And then Cart you off to the station for more tests..

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/229738/consultation-document.pdf

This was the consultation for the amendments to the law. Makes for a good bedtime read!"

. Thanks for informing us. Sounds to be exciting stuff.

Bumping for the day crew of the Skylark.

"

Is it an offence to drive under the influence of a nagging front seat passenger? Hope she ain't reading this. "

No I don't think so the last time I had this there appeared to be no limit to nagging.

"

Is it an offence to drive under the influence of a nagging front seat passenger? Hope she ain't reading this. No I don't think so the last time I had this there appeared to be no limit to nagging. "

I tried so hard to ignore that post.

I hope this means that the Police will be pulling more people for a test when the smell in a car. As a biker, I smell it a lot when filtering through traffic, very often from white vans and silly little plastic enhanced Citroens and Peugeots with loud stereos.

"I hope this means that the Police will be pulling more people for a test when the smell in a car. As a biker, I smell it a lot when filtering through traffic, very often from white vans and silly little plastic enhanced Citroens and Peugeots with loud stereos."

They should have been anyway but there is more incentive now.

"I hope this means that the Police will be pulling more people for a test when the smell in a car. As a biker, I smell it a lot when filtering through traffic, very often from white vans and silly little plastic enhanced Citroens and Peugeots with loud stereos."

wow m8 with a nose as keen as yrs u should check the job ads for police sniffer dogs makes mental note must hug the filter lane much more tightly when stuck in traffic

Shouldn't it be down to the pigs to prove your are impaired and not the civilian to prove he isn't ????

. Weed should be legal

Followed a copper for 15 miles odd the other day he did not use his indicators once

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

"Blood test.

If they feel you are driving under influences really don't get how they will know :/ "

maybe when you're swerving all over the road like a d*unk....lol

"I hope this means that the Police will be pulling more people for a test when the smell in a car. As a biker, I smell it a lot when filtering through traffic, very often from white vans and silly little plastic enhanced Citroens and Peugeots with loud stereos.. Weed should be legal "

Alcohol is legal but it is still illegal to drive over the limit.

I take some really strong drugs... but I also am sensible and don't drive if I have needed them... people need to use more common sense ...

I wouldn't drive after a drink ... so I wouldn't drive after taking morphine or Codine based drugs.

"I take some really strong drugs... but I also am sensible and don't drive if I have needed them... people need to use more common sense ...

I wouldn't drive after a drink ... so I wouldn't drive after taking morphine or Codine based drugs."

People, generally, don't think about it.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"

I note you mentioned tamazepan ide agree u cant drive on that hell you wouldn't even be able to walk to the car ..it gives your legs a mind of there own and give you a john cleese fawlty towers comedy walk

I can't take any of the "pams" and leave the house. Half a normal dose will knock me out for over 20 hours.

"

I can take twice, or more, of the normal dose of most of them and feel no effects at all.

The same goes for tramadol.

I'm not well at the moment. Sinus pressure is causing a near constant headache. Last night I took 1000mg paracetamol, 30mg codeine and 400mg ibuprofen altogether. I didn't feel any different on it and it didn't make the headache any better either

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I'm much more likely to be impaired if I forget my meds.

One of the prescription meds I take has a very short half life and horrendous withdrawal effects. If I'm more than about 4 hours late taking it, I feel sick and dizzy and have strange ringing in my ears and vertigo for the whole of the following day.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I wonder when the first lawsuit will be filed against a doctor for prescribing medicines and not informing the patient that they are at risk from the new law?

"

it should say it on the label.... that is what it says on mine when i left hospital a few weeks ago....

mine was labelled: "DO NOT DRIVE, may cause drowsiness..."

it should say it on the label.... that is what it says on mine when i left hospital a few weeks ago....

mine was labelled: "DO NOT DRIVE, may cause drowsiness...""

I bet people see MAY as the key word not DO NOT.

There's a feature on the London news now.

Up to £5,000 fine, 1 year ban and possible jail sentence.

In Switzerland they have been using this test for drugs for about 10 years and it has been challenged several times in Courts in the various Cantons. 90% of the courts came back and gave the claimant right and not the police as the test themselves have errors..Wonder how the police in UK will react to a challenge in court...

» Add a new message to this topic