FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > skills or qualifications

skills or qualifications

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

i was just wandering what your views were on people with no quallifications but who are very skilled i left school at 15 and worked all over in the country welding but i had an accident and was in wheelchiar for 18month every job i go for now the employers wont even entertain me because i have no papers rather than look at a persons practical skills this is not a rant

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Same here!

I also left at 15 and started work for my father, then at 18 went self employed up to 14 months a go.

When it came to me looking for jobs, i had no papers to show new employees so failed to get the job

I am back self employed now as a freelance programmer and doing quite well so we are happy!

When we meet people, there educational background or if they are working or not makes no difference to us, and as we see it, not really any of our business lol

As long as who we meet is what we are looking for, they can string a sentence together and have a nice personality then we don't give a monkeys what papers they have lol

Tony

The reason we have qualifications is so that potential employers can see at a glance how skilled you are from the next guy. They cannot afford to take the risk on an unknown if there is someone else who can demonstrate by way of certification that he can do the job. What's to stop you going to get yourself certificated? If you mean to continue in the same line of work then surely it is in your own interest to get the passes you need to ensure continuation of work.

It does appear that people only raise this issue when they are unemployed and cannot get work because they don't have exam papers to show. While you are working, and earning, invest in your own future.

"The reason we have qualifications is so that potential employers can see at a glance how skilled you are from the next guy. They cannot afford to take the risk on an unknown if there is someone else who can demonstrate by way of certification that he can do the job. What's to stop you going to get yourself certificated? If you mean to continue in the same line of work then surely it is in your own interest to get the passes you need to ensure continuation of work.

It does appear that people only raise this issue when they are unemployed and cannot get work because they don't have exam papers to show. While you are working, and earning, invest in your own future."

Yep you are 100% right, having it written down on paper these days is the way to go!

These days, its the norm for an employee to first ask for a CV then your qualifications, gone has the day when you would talk to them for 1/2 hour, and them say, ok you start monday!

I think myself though, when I was self employed before I was in a state of false sense of security, I was always thinking well I been self employed for 15+ years so I will be for the rest of my life.

When my work started to dry up though I soon noted the error's of my thinking.

Now though, I am back self employed and am currently looking into taking some courses on a number of different things, even if I don't use them, it will be nice just for my self achievement.

Tony

Forum Mod

There are certain professions that require a number of qualifications before you even get in the door...Im on my second career and studied hard to make sure I had the set level of qualifications before I even applied to study to do what im training for now.

While to a certain degree I believe in the university of life and know that life experience counts for a lot,most employers are in the position to pass you over for someone that has both

Theres loads of opportunities to gain extra qualifications as a mature student and if you're unemployed you should'nt have to pay a penny to do them

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

"There are certain professions that require a number of qualifications before you even get in the door...Im on my second career and studied hard to make sure I had the set level of qualifications before I even applied to study to do what im training for now.

While to a certain degree I believe in the university of life and know that life experience counts for a lot,most employers are in the position to pass you over for someone that has both

Theres loads of opportunities to gain extra qualifications as a mature student and if you're unemployed you should'nt have to pay a penny to do them "

and Honeypot and Myself have just done that.

Gone back to Uni...... got different qualifications and I, for one, had a blast doing it and students, especially mature students, are no longer the poverty stricken layabouts they once were.

I finished raising 3 kids, as a single mum, on my student money and a little part time job!

Get yourselves to Uni........ mature students are soooo welcome you'd wonder why you never thought of it before!

i do aggree totaly with what you are saying as i said i traveled alot to where the work was so was unrealalistic to go to any one collage but it looks like im going back to school lol

And

IF you are currently unemployed, not only do you get the courses free, you also get a bit extra on your job seekers allowance for taking the course!

A friend of mine also gets his travel expenses paid for while he's on it.

Might be worth you nipping into your local jobcenter, telling them what you want to do and see what and how your benefits are affected.

Tony

also i was a single bloke then so didnt think too much about the future was all about the money then

Forum Mod

The world is your oyster right now so make the most of whats on offer

I've got a raft of City and Guilds certificates that aren't worth the paper they're printed on now. Thanks to the NVQ system, some companies won't accept C&G.

I'm not overly bothered, because I've changed tack on my career anyway, but it's still annoying. I know some people that have been told that they have to go back to college, and sit with a bunch of kids, to be taught by someone with less practical knowledge than them.

I think having qualifications can definitely work as an advantage but it can also be a big disadvantage! I Have been turned down from as few jobs for being over qualified. Yes, I have 7 A levels (all with A grades) and 2 Batchelors degrees (both graduated with a 1st), but I still want to have a job just like other people do! I could easily apply for high ranking jobs but due to my lack of experience withing those fields I get turned down from those jobs. It's a no win situation sometimes.

My Father was of the old school - in his last 20 years of work, he was in charge of the steam raising plant at a big pharmacutical works in Northumberland. It comprised of 4 massive (and I mean massive) boilers and all the associated pumping and water treatment systems associated with the plant. He also maintained the fire sprinkler systems for the entire plant, carrying out regular testing and maintenance.

Did he have any formal qualifications ??

Not one ...

Did he know what he was doing ??

What he didn't know about his boiler plant wasn't worth knowing.

There are plenty of people who can do things according to a crappy peice of paper ...

Then there are people with experience who know really what they are doing ...

My hubby is a HGV mechanic - left school with no quals. and has learnt all he knows through practical experience, also used to work on light aircraft.

By *ebzStarWoman  over a year ago

Notting

"i was just wandering what your views were on people with no quallifications but who are very skilled i left school at 15 and worked all over in the country welding but i had an accident and was in wheelchiar for 18month every job i go for now the employers wont even entertain me because i have no papers rather than look at a persons practical skills this is not a rant "

Personally as a new manager i do feel that is is a very hard subject.

I have had to go thru cv's to try and find a new employee.

I have found that even tho we provide an application form - that these are still filled in incorrectly, bad spelling, awful handwriting, no skills, no qualifications.

Its a difficult decision.

Last year we took on a new trainee who to get on the course to qualify needs her basic maths skills.

Has done other courses in the field and shown willing.

We decided to take her on, on a 6 month contract to gice her time to take to the job and see if she can get her maths skills.

We have had to give her another 6 month contract - and as its above my management level - if she fails her maths - she will loose her job.

I am upset about this =-as, as a general worker , she has picked up the practical aspects of the job, is a team player and has coped well is stressfull environments.

Alot better than some others who have experience/qualifiacations.....

So where do you draw that line???

We may have spent a year training her - and letting her get to grips with the job -she may (prob will as she is truggling to even do 4x24) not pass her maths.

Should we just have employed someone who would have had the Qualifications???

Sorry sounds like a rant - but its something thats close to my heart =- as i feel the girl really deserves a chance -= and if she fails her maths wont get it and will end up in some shitty job stacking shelves or something.

Sorry if i have bored everyone!!!!

WAKE UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Its SUMMERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

SEXYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

By *iggles and BeardyCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

"And

IF you are currently unemployed, not only do you get the courses free, you also get a bit extra on your job seekers allowance for taking the course!

A friend of mine also gets his travel expenses paid for while he's on it.

Might be worth you nipping into your local jobcenter, telling them what you want to do and see what and how your benefits are affected.

Tony"

After 12yrs as a house dad bringing up my autistic daughter (she is about to goto comp, so time to go get a job) I signed on with local jobcentre..

Asked what I'm looking for I happily replyed, adding that after 12yrs i'm in serious need of training..

Reply from jobcentre was "We are not looking at training, you need to be unemployed 6months first"

I sugested ok "I'll go do an adult training course myself" to which they instantly replyed " you must be avalible to work, we will stop benefits if you train more than 16hrs a week and if we find a suitable job, that clashes with your course you will have to leave the course or we will stop your benefits"

Friends mum is 50 (agraphobic), never worked a day in her life, but as her husband died 2yrs ago, she has done wonders to not only leave the house but to actualy seek training and a job..

Jobcentre refused to send her on a course in child care (due to her age) somthing she actualy has experience with having 2 daughters and 3 grand kids.. but also threatened to cancel her benefits, because she was volenteering at local city farm, childrens nersary!!

Seems goverment want us all to work, harp on about training, yet try to get that training and the bury you in at least 6months of useless tape, before opening up training, followed by being sent to a New Deal, centre where they try to stick you on useless corses like, go muck out the pigs at citty farm, or run with the recycle truck (it's like geting a 6 month comunity service order, with no crime commited or bloody trial!)

» Add a new message to this topic