FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Largest Emerald ever found

Largest Emerald ever found

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The Bahia emerald - named after the region of Brazil in which it was discovered - weighs 380kg (840lb).

The giant emerald is embedded in stone and has protruding spurs the size of a human arm. It is said to be worth more than $370m (£235m) - and at least six people are claiming they are the rightful owners.

One those at the centre of the dispute is Anthony Thomas, a construction executive from California, who says he paid two Brazilian gem dealers $60,000 for the emerald shortly after it was unearthed nine years ago - a fraction of its current value.

Mr Thomas says he arranged to have the stone shipped to his home in San Jose, but that it never showed up. He believes he was tricked into believing it had been stolen so it could be resold for more money.

One problem he faces is that - as he awaited its delivery - a fire broke out in his house, destroying his receipt.

~ How coincidental huh? You manage to hoodwink a so called gems dealer into flogging you a $370m sparkler for .02% of it's true value and then go and lose your receipt for it. Smart cookie, not.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

I can see and join in the humour in your comment! Not having a go at all, but looking to the serious side, he`s lost the reciept but surely he would have bank records of the transaction .... or did he do a DelBoy and pay cash!

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"I can see and join in the humour in your comment! Not having a go at all, but looking to the serious side, he`s lost the reciept but surely he would have bank records of the transaction .... or did he do a DelBoy and pay cash! "

What do you think? He's bought an emerald worth $370m and is avoiding any levies both Brazil & America may charge him for such a transaction. I'm betting Brazil would have not wished to see such a stone leave the country - it's tourist value alone would have made it worth keeping it in Brazil.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I can see and join in the humour in your comment! Not having a go at all, but looking to the serious side, he`s lost the reciept but surely he would have bank records of the transaction .... or did he do a DelBoy and pay cash!

What do you think? He's bought an emerald worth $370m and is avoiding any levies both Brazil & America may charge him for such a transaction. I'm betting Brazil would have not wished to see such a stone leave the country - it's tourist value alone would have made it worth keeping it in Brazil."

Im dooling here ...emeralds are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lovely

» Add a new message to this topic