FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Titanic

Titanic

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Is it just me or is this new series "building bits of the Titanic" a bit errrrr wrong.

As I recall the Ship, built in Belfast and designed by English Engineers was a disaster from the start, highlighting the rich ship owners desire to impress the world whilst taking shortcuts, removing lifeboats for asthetic reasons, using materials and methods that were cost saving but questionable.

A Captain who slept during the most dangerous part of the voyage.

The guy on the bridge making the wrong decision to alter course.

The Captain allowing himself to be influenced with regard to speed in dangerous waters by the Designer.

The Maritime organisation itself failing to ensure it's new policies regarding Distress Rockets were known to all ships Captains.

The treatment of non First Class passengers (steerage) being nothing less than criminal ensuring that lifeboats were launched half empty.

A catalogue of errors and bad judgement which made a mockery of Health and Safety to be glorified on TV ?

Wouldn't the program have been better had it been about a British achievment ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

aaaaagggh my post is sinking

BUMP

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"aaaaagggh my post is sinking

BUMP "

i watched this last night and was puzzled by the whole thing..left me thinking "whos stoooooooooooopid idea was this" the programme and the makers of it

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Anything that happened on the voyage is irrelevant to the feat of engineering to build it, surely?

Having said that, it seems very wasteful to make random bits for a TV series - I've only seen the trailer, but making the anchor must have cost thousands, and doesn't really enhance our understanding of anything, does it?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

There is a theory that the whole thing was a scam and that it was actually a refurbished ship and not a newbuild at all.

By *eordiesCouple  over a year ago

newcastle

"Is it just me or is this new series "building bits of the Titanic" a bit errrrr wrong.

As I recall the Ship, built in Belfast and designed by English Engineers was a disaster from the start, highlighting the rich ship owners desire to impress the world whilst taking shortcuts, removing lifeboats for asthetic reasons, using materials and methods that were cost saving but questionable.

A Captain who slept during the most dangerous part of the voyage.

The guy on the bridge making the wrong decision to alter course.

The Captain allowing himself to be influenced with regard to speed in dangerous waters by the Designer.

The Maritime organisation itself failing to ensure it's new policies regarding Distress Rockets were known to all ships Captains.

The treatment of non First Class passengers (steerage) being nothing less than criminal ensuring that lifeboats were launched half empty.

A catalogue of errors and bad judgement which made a mockery of Health and Safety to be glorified on TV ?

Wouldn't the program have been better had it been about a British achievment ?"

If I'd read that and hadn't known it was about the Titanic, would have thought you were describing the British Political system !!!

John & Shel

» Add a new message to this topic