FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Food Banks

Food Banks

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

How do people feel about them? And whose fault is it that they exist in today's Britain?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Are you secret MP's doing a survey before the elections?

"Are you secret MP's doing a survey before the elections? "

No. Just wanting a lively debate!

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"Are you secret MP's doing a survey before the elections?

No. Just wanting a lively debate! "

Sorry I was joking saw your thread about zero hours and now this...enjoy the debate

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No idea. But the have them in Australia, France, Belgium, France and Germany.

No doubt Thatcher will be blamed for them all.

"No idea. But the have them in Australia, France, Belgium, France and Germany.

No doubt Thatcher will be blamed for them all."

Is it not a sign that the poor get poorer, while the rich get richer?

There must be a need, as they are all over the country. We have one near me run by one of the local churches.

Down to the downturn in the economy and the price of food. More unemployment in every part of the country.

Where I live, you have to be given a voucher to be able to collect a food parcel. I see it as a good initiative.

Is it not a sign that the poor get poorer, while the rich get richer?"

Its a sign that some people need help. Someone becoming wealthy does not mean that someone becomes poor.

People who believe that probably believe that angels get their wings when a bell rings.

No doubt Thatcher will be blamed for them all."

Wrote twice France, you love secretly France?

I have a huge respect for ppl who organize them... it is sad indeed but I have faith in humanity when I see things like that happening... pur individualistic society isnt so individualistic after all...

Some good people amongst the rotten ones

Its a sign that some people need help. Someone becoming wealthy does not mean that someone becomes poor.

People who believe that probably believe that angels get their wings when a bell rings."

You've been watching that film Ben. Clarence might have been right!

[Removed by poster at 31/03/15 08:06:33]

"

Wrote twice France, you love secretly France? "

Yoda also you are talking like, yes?

People who believe that probably believe that angels get their wings when a bell rings."

Tell me then, where does someone's wealth come from then?

By *hyandtwistedCouple  over a year ago

loughborough

I think some people need then during a crisis, and there's allways been something like them around they arnt new, and communities used to look after people a little more, we used to lend food or have mates and their kids around for dinner when we knew they where struggling.

Problem is its hard to spot the ones that need it from the regular known faces locally who use it after they have spent all their money on booze/fags/xboxgames/a wicked night out in the club/drugs (Not just people on dole, not benefit bashing here)

Or local one has publicly said they know this is an issue but would rather give everyone food rather than miss someone in real need. I get that but it does help some of the idiots be idiots.

By *i-shoptonMan  over a year ago

bishopton

Good points you've made.

Societies throughout the world are imperfect and will always require welfare safety nets - like food banks , clothe banks etc...... And it's inevitable that these facilities are going to get abused by some.

Also , as far as the rich getting richer _iewpoint is concerned, it was he ( yes J Clarkson!!) who wrote recently in the Times making the point that you don't make yourself more beautiful by taking a stick to those more attractive than you !!!! ........

"Good points you've made.

Societies throughout the world are imperfect and will always require welfare safety nets - like food banks , clothe banks etc...... And it's inevitable that these facilities are going to get abused by some.

Also , as far as the rich getting richer _iewpoint is concerned, it was he ( yes J Clarkson!!) who wrote recently in the Times making the point that you don't make yourself more beautiful by taking a stick to those more attractive than you !!!! ........ "

Surely the answer is for some of the super rich's wealth to filter down, benefitting all of society?

I fully support food banks and donate to my local bank every time.i go shopping.

Its sad that in a country such as ours that we need such vital things.

we need change !!

"I fully support food banks and donate to my local bank every time.i go shopping.

we need change !!"

Do their existence belie the assertion of a 'booming' economy?

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Also , as far as the rich getting richer _iewpoint is concerned, it was he ( yes J Clarkson!!) who wrote recently in the Times making the point that you don't make yourself more beautiful by taking a stick to those more attractive than you !!!! ........

Surely the answer is for some of the super rich's wealth to filter down, benefitting all of society? "

Doesn't it already? I'm assuming the super rich pay super taxes, spend more etc helping the economy. I don't believe that because you have a lot you should give it away to those less fortunate.

"I fully support food banks and donate to my local bank every time.i go shopping.

we need change !!

Do their existence belie the assertion of a 'booming' economy? "

Yes they do. Here in North Wales , the minimum wage is the average. Low wages and zero hour contracts here show that the booming economy is something that's happening else where

Surely the answer is for some of the super rich's wealth to filter down, benefitting all of society?

Doesn't it already? I'm assuming the super rich pay super taxes, spend more etc helping the economy. I don't believe that because you have a lot you should give it away to those less fortunate."

See if you can watch "The Super rich v Us" on the iplayer or some much. Documentary showing how most of the bank bail out money had gone to the Super rich and not trickled down

It is a worldwide problem, leading to greater and greater civil unrest. Even some of the Super rich are of the mind that they have to share the wealth a bit - or face the consequences

Doesn't it already? I'm assuming the super rich pay super taxes, spend more etc helping the economy. I don't believe that because you have a lot you should give it away to those less fortunate.

See if you can watch "The Super rich v Us" on the iplayer or some much. Documentary showing how most of the bank bail out money had gone to the Super rich and not trickled down

It is a worldwide problem, leading to greater and greater civil unrest. Even some of the Super rich are of the mind that they have to share the wealth a bit - or face the consequences "

Surely the answer is for some of the super rich's wealth to filter down, benefitting all of society? "

In a perfect society yes, BUT..we live in a far from perfect society, Is it those in need who decide where this added Wealth would be distributed and how or those that havnt had to wonder where their own next meal or council tax payment is coming from.

Some very poor people start their own Companies in the hope of becoming successful and after years f struggling are fortunate to succeed and become very comfortably off..Are we then to take their hard earned Money by force.

We are all equal, Its just that some are more equal than others

Chairman Gimp

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I think some people need then during a crisis, and there's allways been something like them around they arnt new, and communities used to look after people a little more, we used to lend food or have mates and their kids around for dinner when we knew they where struggling.

Problem is its hard to spot the ones that need it from the regular known faces locally who use it after they have spent all their money on booze/fags/xboxgames/a wicked night out in the club/drugs (Not just people on dole, not benefit bashing here)

Or local one has publicly said they know this is an issue but would rather give everyone food rather than miss someone in real need. I get that but it does help some of the idiots be idiots."

I have been directly involved with an agency who gives food bank vouchers to people in need and there is a limit on how many times in six months they can be issued to the same person which I believe is twice. If a parent has d*unk or smoked the food money the vouchers are often given to the kids if they are over 16 .

By *rHornyGentMan  over a year ago

South East London

It does, it's called tax. How the Government spends it is the concern for us all.

In answer to your opening post, better that society is able to step up and fill the gaps rather than having people go hungry.

Someone commented about xboxes, booze, cable tv etc, give them up to help with bills. If you can't find a local job then be prepared to travel to get one. Be determined and don't take no for an answer. Deliver your application in person to the company. Think about that job flipping burgers, if you're doing it already then apply for your bosses position.

Don't blame Thatcher blame Blair & Brown. They got us into this mess being too close to the money in the first place. Blair has carried on in his post PM role, Brown at least keeping himself to himself relatively speaking.

The brave back themselves to start a business, the successful pay taxes, the prudent take advantage, quite legally, of the tax system while the corrupt abuse. As in business, as in life. Few are born super rich. Everyone started with nothing sometime. It's the coalition that has closed more of the Labour tax loopholes.

I'm not a politician either.

I.think.we are all to blame. Be interesting to.know how many who.use these have sky or virgin. Phone contracts etc we value these things too much

"I.think.we are all to blame. Be interesting to.know how many who.use these have sky or virgin. Phone contracts etc we value these things too much"

Ok stupid question i know but what has a phone contract gotto do with a Foodbank

Gimp

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I.think.we are all to blame. Be interesting to.know how many who.use these have sky or virgin. Phone contracts etc we value these things too much

Ok stupid question i know but what has a phone contract gotto do with a Foodbank

Gimp"

You shouldn't have a phone contract if at any time in the future it might be remotely possible that you might fall on hard times. If you do you should stop paying it and render yourself unable to be contacted for job opportunities etc. Because if you are poor you must suffer

back in the day neighbours used to make sure nobody went that hungry if they could help it - i know not the whole point youre making but that way of thinking is somewhat lacking these days

"back in the day neighbours used to make sure nobody went that hungry if they could help it - i know not the whole point youre making but that way of thinking is somewhat lacking these days "

Because people are intrinsically selfish. "I have but don't want to share"

"How do people feel about them? And whose fault is it that they exist in today's Britain?"
i feel left out i cant get a voucher because im a circus dwarf and i blame the clangers!

We've needed help a couple of times off them, very grateful we were too.

Just our income going out was more than our income coming in, for basic things like rent and utility bills.

we menaged most of the time but it was shit, and although my income has gone down substantially since the coalition government we are doing ok. Gonna get someone else to pay for us a holiday though coz we can't afford that this year, which is less shit but i loved being able to buy my own nice things and was proud of that but i'm not too proud to miss out either.

"I.think.we are all to blame. Be interesting to.know how many who.use these have sky or virgin. Phone contracts etc we value these things too much

Gimp

You shouldn't have a phone contract if at any time in the future it might be remotely possible that you might fall on hard times. If you do you should stop paying it and render yourself unable to be contacted for job opportunities etc. Because if you are poor you must suffer"

Its weird where we live, The jobcentre insists the unemployed carry out a minimum of four hours online job searching five days a week, So you have to have Internet and a Laptop/PC, They also insist on contacting you via emails, And to top it all if they ring and you dont answer for any reason they wont ring back and will stop that weeks benefits so a Mobile is virtually essential if your out at a foodbank or handing out CV's.

Its a Mad world run by Crazy people

Gimp

By *rcticFoxxxWoman  over a year ago

Hereabouts

I've had help from the food bank twice. The first time, I was my husbands carer and they stopped his ESA for 4 weeks for some reason, so we had no food or even money for gas/electric. The second time, I had been kicked out and I was staying with my friend who couldn't afford to feed me, and I was in the process of applying for jobseekers. Both times, I donated back to the food bank when I could.

"I.think.we are all to blame. Be interesting to.know how many who.use these have sky or virgin. Phone contracts etc we value these things too much"

Some of them will have, but that's what normal people do? And many of them will be getting proper advice on how to get their expenses down.

We didn't have that stuff, i had a mobile my sister bought me that i couldn't even afford to top up, but at least she could phone me.

"Trickle down" economics is no longer working. The point of trickle down was that it always trickled back up, fair enough, but that trickle up was us spending money, usually on essentials AND "luxuries". Not enough is being trickled down. Its being kept at the top. Unless that money moves round,the people at the bottom suffer and the wider economy suffers Everyone else goes without so a few can have more than they could ever need. It needs rebalancing. If it doesnt, just like France and Russia, the change gets brought about violently, with needless victims. You can only ground people down so far. They will bite back. Hard.

Think its really sad that we need them and soup kitchens but after volunteering for a while at 1 in manchester i felt very humbled by it n bloody angry that we have people in this country in this day n age on n below the bread line that would bloody starve without these life saving places TOTAL DISGRACE WHEN WE WASTE BILLIONS ON WARS WE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN IN IN THE FIRST PLACE just my opinion as have lost friends n seen friends family's touched by losses in the so called war on terror

"Think its really sad that we need them and soup kitchens but after volunteering for a while at 1 in manchester i felt very humbled by it n bloody angry that we have people in this country in this day n age on n below the bread line that would bloody starve without these life saving places TOTAL DISGRACE WHEN WE WASTE BILLIONS ON WARS WE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN IN IN THE FIRST PLACE just my opinion as have lost friends n seen friends family's touched by losses in the so called war on terror"

If all of this is happening in a booming economy, I hate to think how bad things would be in a failing economy!!

Someone I know quite well had to use a food bank... And I'm all for them BUT the person who got the voucher for a food parcel smokes cigarettes and cannabis..... Now I've been on the bones of my arse on benefits with 4 kids and at no point was there no food, gas or electric or rags on their backs..... But then I don't have addictions... Surely someone somewhere must realise that there should be choices made for more deserving people....

Before anyone kicks off.. This person I know is "looking after" my 15 year old daughter, who I send money for and buy all her things for, so I'm not just generalizing

By *andy_tomMan  over a year ago

wolverhampton

Is it not a sign that the poor get poorer, while the rich get richer?"

true , blame this goverment , for screwing the poor wile the rich get richer ,

"Someone I know quite well had to use a food bank... And I'm all for them BUT the person who got the voucher for a food parcel smokes cigarettes and cannabis..... Now I've been on the bones of my arse on benefits with 4 kids and at no point was there no food, gas or electric or rags on their backs..... But then I don't have addictions... Surely someone somewhere must realise that there should be choices made for more deserving people....

Before anyone kicks off.. This person I know is "looking after" my 15 year old daughter, who I send money for and buy all her things for, so I'm not just generalizing "

Much as i agree people should make better choices, we live in a society that doesn't starve people to death if it can help it.

In order to access the food bank here you need a voucher issued by the Job Centre or Social Work department.

The vast majority of vouchers are as a result of a Job Centre admin cock up or sanction.

In a country like this, it is a disgrace.

By *andy_tomMan  over a year ago

wolverhampton

"In order to access the food bank here you need a voucher issued by the Job Centre or Social Work department.

The vast majority of vouchers are as a result of a Job Centre admin cock up or sanction.

In a country like this, it is a disgrace."

I have to agree with you its an absolute fxxking disgrace ,

"Someone I know quite well had to use a food bank... And I'm all for them BUT the person who got the voucher for a food parcel smokes cigarettes and cannabis..... Now I've been on the bones of my arse on benefits with 4 kids and at no point was there no food, gas or electric or rags on their backs..... But then I don't have addictions... Surely someone somewhere must realise that there should be choices made for more deserving people....

Before anyone kicks off.. This person I know is "looking after" my 15 year old daughter, who I send money for and buy all her things for, so I'm not just generalizing

Much as i agree people should make better choices, we live in a society that doesn't starve people to death if it can help it. "

Yes and that's good but adults are choosing drink/fags/ drugs over feeding their kids..... How can that be allowed??

I've actually been a volunteer in a soup kitchen/foodbank and don't believe the food really goes to the ones in need. There's a lot that will have some addiction Gambling/Drugs/Alcohol then use the service as a back up, also there's a lot that will complain about what's on the menu. It's even tho its like this if just helping one genuine person in need makes it all worth while

true , blame this goverment , for screwing the poor wile the rich get richer , "

this

Much as i agree people should make better choices, we live in a society that doesn't starve people to death if it can help it.

Yes and that's good but adults are choosing drink/fags/ drugs over feeding their kids..... How can that be allowed?? "

Addictions are like that, they take priority to people over everything else.

Most people will prioritse sorting out the most demanding need (food) and then help them with the other stuff later, if they want that. And that's what is happening, someone else has taken responsibility for them so they don't have to. Next step might be a bit more extreme if they don't help themselves.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"How do people feel about them? And whose fault is it that they exist in today's Britain?"

You are demonstrating a very negative outlook today. Try to be a bit more positive and look for good news instead of bad.

Here for example... UK's economic growth for 2014 revised up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32126975

If you constantly dwell on bad news, negative press and pessimism your whole personality will adopt a negative, beaten and despairing aspect.

Monty Python had it right.. Always look on the bright side of life.

Yes and that's good but adults are choosing drink/fags/ drugs over feeding their kids..... How can that be allowed??

Addictions are like that, they take priority to people over everything else.

Most people will prioritse sorting out the most demanding need (food) and then help them with the other stuff later, if they want that. And that's what is happening, someone else has taken responsibility for them so they don't have to. Next step might be a bit more extreme if they don't help themselves."

I know, my own mother was a heroin addict and she stole the tv and video from me and my dad (they had separated and she "needed somewhere to stay" aka needed to steal something).... Not saying I'm perfect COs I'm far far from it.... But I couldn't imagine putting anything or anyone in front on my kids most basic of needs there is no easy answer.... Just makes me sad on sooo many levels.... I'm very angry with my mum for choosing drugs over me.....uuuggghhh

"How do people feel about them? And whose fault is it that they exist in today's Britain?

You are demonstrating a very negative outlook today. Try to be a bit more positive and look for good news instead of bad.

If you constantly dwell on bad news, negative press and pessimism your whole personality will adopt a negative, beaten and despairing aspect.

Monty Python had it right.. Always look on the bright side of life."

My reality is harsh. As is the reality for many in Britain. If you're doing well, count yourself lucky. Yes, I've talked about food banks - they do exist, after all - and zero hours contracts - these had a very bad effect on my life (as well as several of my teaching colleagues). Why shouldn't I?

According to your posts, these things are the fault of individuals, not the government. I disagree

I actually used to be a Conservative voter when young but then a harsher reality hit me. I then saw how intrinsically selfish Conservative policies are and how self absorbed their supporters are

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

a lot of genuine hard up people using them, a small amount abusing the goodwill

"How do people feel about them? And whose fault is it that they exist in today's Britain?

My reality is harsh. As is the reality for many in Britain. If you're doing well, count yourself lucky. Yes, I've talked about food banks - they do exist, after all - and zero hours contracts - these had a very bad effect on my life (as well as several of my teaching colleagues). Why shouldn't I?

According to your posts, these things are the fault of individuals, not the government. I disagree

I actually used to be a Conservative voter when young but then a harsher reality hit me. I then saw how intrinsically selfish Conservative policies are and how self absorbed their supporters are"

I've helped make up Christmas food parcels for families who had very little, when Labour were in power. So I 'm not sure you can solely blame the government.

I agree with food banks, I also agree with individuals being responsible for themselves. A short term solution when times are hard. It's not relatively long really since we had The Workhouse - I'm glad that we are more humane nowadays.

Like another poster stated - years ago, communities would have looked out for each other more. You'd know if someone had fallen on hard times and needed a little help. It's sad that so much food is wasted when others are going hungry.

" I don't believe that because you have a lot you should give it away to those less fortunate."

Don't take this the wrong way but that has to be one of the most miserably disgustingly selfish statements I've ever read.

Monty Python had it right.. Always look on the bright side of life."

Quick cover your hands over your eyes and all the bad things will go away.

There is a local Sikh temple not far from me. Provides free lunch everyday for the vulnerable and elderly in the community. Paid for by the congregation at large and gives me a bit of faith in human nature. I think there is more we could and should be doing as communities to support and help those less fortunate without stigmatising them.

Quick cover your hands over your eyes and all the bad things will go away."

Whistle 'Always look on the bright side' and all society's ills go away! Alternatively say "Pull up the ladder, Jack. I'm alright!"

By *educedWoman  over a year ago

Birmingham

I make, on average, between 10 and 30 referrals a week to our local Food Bank. I cover a neighbourhood of some 10,000 homes. According to my statistics the majority (about 80%) of the referrals (during 2014/15) were from households that are working (at least 1 working adult) who after paying rent and fuel bills have very very little to live on.

I have been working in partnership with the Trussell Trust for two years and in all that time have only had to refuse one person (they were just taking the piss).

We also offer debt and money advice, access to a credit union, cooking lessons (cooking on a budget including shopping) and other support including access to the internet because you can save money from everything from fuel to groceries if you shop online. However, not everyone can afford broadband.

The problem is exasperated because all of those vital support services are disappearing. We pay for them via grants and our own fundraising initiatives. We will run out of money in September unless we are successful with grant applications which means that 10,000 households are without that support.

Scary!

"There is a local Sikh temple not far from me. Provides free lunch everyday for the vulnerable and elderly in the community. Paid for by the congregation at large and gives me a bit of faith in human nature. I think there is more we could and should be doing as communities to support and help those less fortunate without stigmatising them."

This is a big part of the Sikh faith. My mum runs a similar thing out of her local Catholic Church (not just for parishioners.)

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

food banks should be there for a person in need of them

a homeless person

a person who hasnt been paid by the government system

or a person whos come from out of the uk

after saying that then a food bank shouldnt be needed if it is needed then there is something wrong somewhere

people arnt being payed proper wages or wages being kept low by the government

rents are too high no administration by the government to keep the rents in check or greedy landlords

ridiculous energy prices that isnt governed to keep within inflation with a persons wage packet like it was done so at one time

one of my quotes didnt get child benefit couldnt work because i had 2 young children to care for other parent kept books

had to survive on handouts by neighbours, dwp only offered 30.00 for a whole month to feed the kids and have nappies there wasnt a food bank then that could be accessed

» Add a new message to this topic