FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Asian vs. Oriental

Asian vs. Oriental

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rientaldaz OP   Man  over a year ago

NorthWest

Hey everyone

In Chinese and most people that I've come across would classify me as "Asian". However it appears that "oriental" is the most commonly used term to describe Asians of eastern descent in the UK .

Thoughts? (and interest maybe?)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

It's like saying I'm English - you're Chinese. Saying Asian is like me saying I'm European.

By *ighland_RoseCouple  over a year ago

Brigadoon

Oriental is a style, like an oriental vase or rug, it's not really the right word to use to describe a human being.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

I have a Chinese friend and he prefers to be called oriental rather than Asian.

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

See, this is a difficult one for us. Amy isn't attracted to Indian/Pakistani men, etc but LOVES Chinese, Japanese, Thai-looking men...

Because of this it's easier to use Asian/Oriental descriptions rather than trying to describe which part of Asia contains the men Amy may be attracted to.

But, of course, the term offends some...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Asia is a big place so I would probably say Chinese personally

East Asian is my preferred term to describe as it differentiates from south Asia .

NorthWest

That would certainly make sense. Problem is,the categories fab provides are "Asian" and "South Asian". Oriental is not even availabe

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"That would certainly make sense. Problem is,the categories fab provides are "Asian" and "South Asian". Oriental is not even availabe

"

You can make it more specific in your profile

NorthWest

There needs to be more people like Amy

To be honest I don't mind the term oriental...the only gripe is that it's not even an option on fab...and it sounds more like a variety of instant noodles

What if someone looks kind of like a Chinese person so you say they are Chinese and they aren't? They could be from Singapore or Taiwan. Is there a collective term for people from specific parts of Asia?

China isn't in Asia. That's one of the reasons why I don't call Chinese people Asians.

Forum Mod

A Chinese lady on here asked a similar question a while back,she preferred the term Oriental over Asian

What if they're from Leyton?

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"China isn't in Asia. That's one of the reasons why I don't call Chinese people Asians. "

What is it in then?

NorthWest

It's generally safer to refer to Singaporeans and Taiwanese as such due to either a) national pride b) different ethnicities in each of these countries. I guess it depends on the context. You just never know unless you ask

Assuming they are of Chinese descent;If talking about someone's heritage or ethnicity then the term Chinese is ok.

NorthWest

I'm pretty sure China is in Asia

Therein lies the problem. Asia seems to have a different boundary here in the UK.

China is huge but it certainly isn't a continent...it's certainly not considered Eastern Europe even though it's attached to Russia

By *uxswingersCouple  over a year ago

London

I'm Chinese and Asian was the only choice I could choose on here. I'd be happy with oriental but just settled to elaborate that on our profile. I think the term 'Asian' is used more in America and covers a very large mix of people.

NorthWest

Back home in New Zealand the only time I came across the term oriental was on a packet of instant noodles

The word 'Orient' is from the Latin for East, which China is from the UK. I would imagine your profile name would give a clue as to your ethnicity - even more so to those who know what a 'banana' is.

By *omplex44Man  over a year ago

Cardiff/London

"See, this is a difficult one for us. Amy isn't attracted to Indian/Pakistani men, etc but LOVES Chinese, Japanese, Thai-looking men...

Because of this it's easier to use Asian/Oriental descriptions rather than trying to describe which part of Asia contains the men Amy may be attracted to.

But, of course, the term offends some..."

Hi Bradley and Amy,

Well it is a shame then I can;t message due to blocks :p

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

"See, this is a difficult one for us. Amy isn't attracted to Indian/Pakistani men, etc but LOVES Chinese, Japanese, Thai-looking men...

Hi Bradley and Amy,

Well it is a shame then I can;t message due to blocks :p"

We're not meeting at the moment anyway as Amy is pregnant.

Cardiff/London

Hi Bradley and Amy,

Well it is a shame then I can;t message due to blocks :p

We're not meeting at the moment anyway as Amy is pregnant. "

Congratulations is in order All the best.

Technically oriental people are asian.

south Asian to be precise

In the UK, due to our historic ties with India, the term "asian" tends to be applied to central and south asian people. In the US, however, where there is more immigration from the Far East, the word "asian" tends to refer to east asian people. To save any confusion I'd call yourself east asian or Chinese

"In the UK, due to our historic ties with India, the term "asian" tends to be applied to central and south asian people. In the US, however, where there is more immigration from the Far East, the word "asian" tends to refer to east asian people. To save any confusion I'd call yourself east asian or Chinese "

china is south east technically though.

Technically if you said east asian.... that could mean you're pakistani or iranian etc

"In the UK, due to our historic ties with India, the term "asian" tends to be applied to central and south asian people. In the US, however, where there is more immigration from the Far East, the word "asian" tends to refer to east asian people. To save any confusion I'd call yourself east asian or Chinese

Technically if you said east asian.... that could mean you're pakistani or iranian etc"

Not in my book. South Asian means India, Central and South covers Afghanistan Pakistan etc. South East Asia refers to Thailand, Cambodia etc. And Far East or just East Asia refers to China, Korea, and Japan

Look on a map... China is by no means south...

Cardiff/London

Asian - UK generalised term for people from the Indian Subcontinent

Lets go from west to east align the Asian continent.

Arabs = mainly people from West Asia

Persians = Iranians won't want to be called Arabs

South Asians = Indian Subcontinent

East Asians = From Thailand to Japan, includes South East Asia

…… well my logic anyway

"In the UK, due to our historic ties with India, the term "asian" tends to be applied to central and south asian people. In the US, however, where there is more immigration from the Far East, the word "asian" tends to refer to east asian people. To save any confusion I'd call yourself east asian or Chinese

Technically if you said east asian.... that could mean you're pakistani or iranian etc

Not in my book. South Asian means India, Central and South covers Afghanistan Pakistan etc. South East Asia refers to Thailand, Cambodia etc. And Far East or just East Asia refers to China, Korea, and Japan

Look on a map... China is by no means south... "

Typically it is east. Stetches through the south though.

pakistan etc. Is middle east

By *rankyJAYMan  over a year ago

jarrow

It's mental when you feel oriental

By *razedcatMan  over a year ago

London / Herts

It's comparable to calling someone African. Africans can be just as diverse as Asians, a Libyan looks very different to a Rwandan.

I would likely still to saying Asian, though. Oriental seems to have a whiff of colonialism about it.

you could always just say your Chinese

I'm turning Japanese...

I think I'm turning Japanese....

I really think so...

Look on a map... China is by no means south...

Typically it is east. Stetches through the south though.

pakistan etc. Is middle east"

Pakistan is not middle east lol Pakistan is central asia, as is Afghanistan. Middle east is Israel, Syria, etc... which is basically western asia but we don't call it that for some reason.

People say I look Indian but my family are from Mauritius which is on the African Coast. It's a hard one for me too. I never no what to say Asian or African.

But I was also born in England..... Very confusing

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Im Welsh and prefer to be called that than British. I dont take offence to British, its just a preference.

This may have no significance with your post OP

A bird is still a bird regardless what you call it...I'm black,mancunian,british,human being.,society seem to be obsessed with race and ethnicity

Very true

"Hey everyone

In Chinese and most people that I've come across would classify me as "Asian". However it appears that "oriental" is the most commonly used term to describe Asians of eastern descent in the UK .

Thoughts? (and interest maybe?)"

It used to be Asian for Chinese etc but then we needed a nice word to call all the people we were being attacked by and who we we're bombing without sounding racist so the middle east became "asian"

Now we're back to oriental foe the far east

Lol bloody nora I am indian. But was born and raised in England. So on fridays I go for an English not a ruby sharma lol

I class myself british indian can just about speak the lingo. But asian does not describe your racial identity dont forget in india you have sri lankens, south indians, gujrati, punjabi, tibeten, pakistani, Chinese it goes on.

NorthWest

"you could always just say your Chinese "

that is true. however, I find that most places I've been to in the world refer to East Asians as Asians in order to differentiate from South Asians so it's getting some getting used to

"China isn't in Asia. That's one of the reasons why I don't call Chinese people Asians. "

I guessing you didn't pass at school

NorthWest

"China isn't in Asia. That's one of the reasons why I don't call Chinese people Asians.

I guessing you didn't pass at school "

to be fair, wikipedia does say EAST asia..

» Add a new message to this topic