FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Its not the taking part that counts..

Its not the taking part that counts..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

its the WINNING!

Sports day season upon us

No im not that much of a mumzilla to actually say or preach that to my daughter, but is there anything wrong in striving to be the best at something and wanting to win?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *adybee77Woman  over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

our sports days are past, and school finishes on friday here.

No, I think we need to teach our children about winning and losing - its an important life lesson.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I lost the dads race , The look of disappointment on my lads face will live with me for ever. It was rather that or the fact I failed the drugs test for performance enhancing pills well I was desperate to win

"I lost the dads race , The look of disappointment on my lads face will live with me for ever. It was rather that or the fact I failed the drugs test for performance enhancing pills well I was desperate to win "

hahaha you tit

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Our kids went to a school where all were rewarded equally for taking part. It seemed to have lost some of the excitement since I was a kid.

"I lost the dads race , The look of disappointment on my lads face will live with me for ever. It was rather that or the fact I failed the drugs test for performance enhancing pills well I was desperate to win

hahaha you tit "

I think I was ripped off

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

It's a double standard. Teachers won't let kids pass their maths test for just taking part. Why do we dumb down sport?

"I lost the dads race , The look of disappointment on my lads face will live with me for ever. It was rather that or the fact I failed the drugs test for performance enhancing pills well I was desperate to win "

It is not the winning.

But neither is it merely taking part.

What it actually is is trying to win that matters...because if you don't try to win, and just take part, then don't bother.

If you try to win, but don't succeed then you have let no-one down, least of all yourself. If you get a PB then all the better...in a way you have won....because you have improved yourself.

"It is not the winning.

But neither is it merely taking part.

What it actually is is trying to win that matters...because if you don't try to win, and just take part, then don't bother.

If you try to win, but don't succeed then you have let no-one down, least of all yourself. If you get a PB then all the better...in a way you have won....because you have improved yourself."

love that!

By *ony HardcockMan  over a year ago

Shepperton

"It's a double standard. Teachers won't let kids pass their maths test for just taking part. Why do we dumb down sport? "

Agreed.

I hated sports day we'll hated running give me a rugby ball then that was a different kettle of fish! There's a point to it!

Primary schools tend to be non- competitive. In my experience, Secondary schools compete. I think athletics is great for competitive sport., It's parents that are the most competitive though - at footie matches, they can be terrible spectators. I've witnessed some awful behaviour !

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

My boss's kids went to school with Sally Gunnells kids. No-one wanted to do the mums race.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

It's good for the kids to be a little bit competitive. I've just had sports day at the primary school. They do team games before the races. No mums or dad's race though. They haven't done that since one of the dad's trousers fell down!!!!! Pmsl

My daughter's is tmw... She has begged me to let her stay off.. she hates it every year. They do not do proper races though but compete in teams and everyone is a winner

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

My nephew has inter school sports days with other schools around the country and they participate to win!!

He is through to the finals of the high jump and sprint next week.

He got invited to see a local athletics club on the back of his performance in the heats.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

No, I think we need to teach our children about winning and losing - its an important life lesson."

Especially the losing, and picking yourself up, and carrying on again.

And it gives those children who aren't as bright as others a chance to show they're good at something too.

I never understood why it was okay for some kids to get an A* in maths, but not 1st in the 100m.

And that from someone crap at sport.

(I did come 3rd in the flowerpot race once though)

Mr ddc

my daughter is in reception class and its just team games with a few relays thrown in..

i'll be proud of her regardless, all i ever ask is that she tries her best.

With her swimming lessons i set her mini targets and goals that are realistic, at her football training i celebrate each time she takes a penalty regardless if she scores or not.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I'll take on the lot of ya at the egg & spoon race

» Add a new message to this topic