FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

One of my favourite films.

If you had the option to remove negative experiences or memories including ex partners would you?

Some people can see these things as parts of life that made them stronger but for some past holds them back.

For me I would have some alterations done.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think I'd keep things as they happened, or at least keep my decisions in there, as that's what I wanted at that precise time I guess.

Prefer being John matchsticks or whatever his name is.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I've thought about this a lot in the past so I don't have to think about my answer.

My answer would be no I wouldn't remove them, I have a wonderful ability to compartmentalise things from my past, put them in a box and forget about them and I do actually forget about them until something comes up to remind me.

But I have no emotions attached to my negative past I can talk about it cold and factually without a thought.

But it also helps me bloody appreciate all the good things

One of my favourites too, so bitter sweet. I wouldn't erase any memories of past relationships, even the bad ones, but there are a few horrible things I could without knowledge of.

"I've thought about this a lot in the past so I don't have to think about my answer.

My answer would be no I wouldn't remove them, I have a wonderful ability to compartmentalise things from my past, put them in a box and forget about them and I do actually forget about them until something comes up to remind me.

But I have no emotions attached to my negative past I can talk about it cold and factually without a thought.

But it also helps me bloody appreciate all the good things"

I've never learned to compartmentalise at all. I desperately wish I could. An oddity of aspie brain function perhaps?

I would not. The negative experiences have shaped me as much as the positive. Beyond that, I don't want to repeat mistakes made

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

No because that would mean erasing over half my life

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"One of my favourite films.

If you had the option to remove negative experiences or memories including ex partners would you?

Some people can see these things as parts of life that made them stronger but for some past holds them back.

"

But wasn't the point of the film that it is only the memory of your past mistakes that stops you from reliving them? (It might not have been, it was a while ago )

I do believe that while some people believe what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, others prefer to blame one thing from their past for all their future mistakes/failures.

Some mistakes have lasting consequences, but most do not.

So, if I am currently where I am as a consequence of every single step, fork and stumble I have ever made, I wouldn't risk avoiding a single one of them.

(That would be 'The Butterfly Effect' )

Mr ddc

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

I'm sure it's a good film but it's emotionally tied to what was a difficult time for me.

Keep things as they where. Its the people you knew and experiences you had make you the person you are.

"One of my favourite films.

But wasn't the point of the film that it is only the memory of your past mistakes that stops you from reliving them? (It might not have been, it was a while ago )

I do believe that while some people believe what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, others prefer to blame one thing from their past for all their future mistakes/failures.

Some mistakes have lasting consequences, but most do not.

So, if I am currently where I am as a consequence of every single step, fork and stumble I have ever made, I wouldn't risk avoiding a single one of them.

(That would be 'The Butterfly Effect' )

Mr ddc"

Maybe not mistakes but what about stuff that happened beyond your control?

I wouldn't erase/change anything.

I'm defined by my past whether good or bad.

Derbyshire

"

Mr ddc

Maybe not mistakes but what about stuff that happened beyond your control? "

There is stuff beyond my control?

You clearly don't appreciate how deep my OCD runs, nor the number of eventualities pre-planned on my spreadsheets.

Learning to come to terms with those things still colours your present, and makes us who we are.

I'd keep my memories. I had PTSD and my brain automatically got rid of them (and still does to a degree) when i can't cope with them.

I like thinking about people, i like feeling pain, i like how i managed to walk away from every single person that hurt me and how i remained strong enough to stay away from them to this day.

Removing memories would be good for dealing with addiction i think, to remove the memory of routines of the addiction being in your life and then replace that with better coping strategies.

"

Mr ddc

You clearly don't appreciate how deep my OCD runs, nor the number of eventualities pre-planned on my spreadsheets.

Learning to come to terms with those things still colours your present, and makes us who we are."

Hypothetical stuff that could have happened to a person say being attacked or abused.

Think outside the norm.

"

Mr ddc

Learning to come to terms with those things still colours your present, and makes us who we are."

I have no knowledge of your OCC so perhaps don't take it too personal.

Derbyshire

"

I have no knowledge of your OCC so perhaps don't take it too personal. "

Such an awesome film. I love films that make you think during and at the end.

I wouldn't alter anything from my past. No matter how devastating or embarrassing.

Great film.

I actually watched it recently for some perspective after meeting an ex.

There have certainly been times when I would have had it done without a flicker of doubt but I think you've just got to take the rough with the smooth and learn from things (situations/coping tools) or you're bound to repeat it.

Derbyshire

"Hypothetical stuff that could have happened to a person say being attacked or abused.

Think outside the norm. "

I do have a couple of such things in my past, but they're not for the forum. I still think without them I would not have met Mrs ddc. And she is worth more than any bad memories that may linger, by a million miles.

"Hypothetical stuff that could have happened to a person say being attacked or abused.

Think outside the norm.

I do have a couple of such things in my past, but they're not for the forum. I still think without them I would not have met Mrs ddc. And she is worth more than any bad memories that may linger, by a million miles.

"

You sly old dog hope she reads that.

Without memories, even of abuse, you lose empathy for other people in that situation. Not because you don't care but because you don't understand them.

This might actually be a good thing, in that you're less empathetic and less vulnerable. It also might mean you don't empathise with others who've been abused who would be a bad influence on you, and wouldn't tolerate their poor behaviour as much.

Would be interesting to find out how people change without their memories. I'd still keep mine, i can deal with them.

» Add a new message to this topic