FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > is today Boxin Day??

is today Boxin Day??

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman  over a year ago

evesham

no - i havent lost my marbles but have hed a couple of times today that Boxing Day is tomorrow and that today is St Stephens day or something???

i'm very confused. i always thought the day after Christmas was Boxing Day

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

AFAIK, today IS Boxing Day!

Ooo, as confirmed by my Saturday Times' TV Listing!

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"no - i havent lost my marbles but have hed a couple of times today that Boxing Day is tomorrow and that today is St Stephens day or something???

i'm very confused. i always thought the day after Christmas was Boxing Day "

it is but st stephens day as well

"no - i havent lost my marbles but have hed a couple of times today that Boxing Day is tomorrow and that today is St Stephens day or something???

i'm very confused. i always thought the day after Christmas was Boxing Day "

Me too!....but I just googled it and seems Boxing Day is day after Xmas unless it falls on a Saturday or Sunday, then Boxing Day is the Monday!! Well we learn something new every day!

But why is it called 'Boxing Day' that's what I want to know

Is it a day when families get together and have a good old fall out and a punch up

yup.

pull yourselves together ladies

Me too!....but I just googled it and seems Boxing Day is day after Xmas unless it falls on a Saturday or Sunday, then Boxing Day is the Monday!! Well we learn something new every day!"

Does that mean that i have to celebrate my birthday tomorrow or do i carry on celebrating today

evesham

Me too!....but I just googled it and seems Boxing Day is day after Xmas unless it falls on a Saturday or Sunday, then Boxing Day is the Monday!! Well we learn something new every day!

Does that mean that i have to celebrate my birthday tomorrow or do i carry on celebrating today "

birthdays last a week dont they??

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

"But why is it called 'Boxing Day' that's what I want to know

Is it a day when families get together and have a good old fall out and a punch up "

It is when my family get together!!!

Me too!....but I just googled it and seems Boxing Day is day after Xmas unless it falls on a Saturday or Sunday, then Boxing Day is the Monday!! Well we learn something new every day!"

Nooooooooooooooo Boxing Day is ALWAYS the day after Christmas Day ..it's ALWAYS 26th BUT if it falls on a Saturday people are given the MONDAY as a bank holiday and it's called the day for Boxing Day but Boxing Day is ALWAYS 26th.

Is it a day when families get together and have a good old fall out and a punch up "

'The Box' was a clay or wooden box in times gone by where people left money or gifts for poorer people.

The box was opened and divvied up on the 26th. So ... Boxing Day.

We are supposed to GIVE gifts on Xmas Day and open them on Boxing Day but I don't know anyone who still waits.

Boxing Day is so called because it was the custom on that day for tradesmen to collect their Christmas boxes or gifts in return for good and reliable service throughout the year.

evesham

Is it a day when families get together and have a good old fall out and a punch up

'The Box' was a clay or wooden box in times gone by where people left money or gifts for poorer people.

The box was opened and divvied up on the 26th. So ... Boxing Day.

We are supposed to GIVE gifts on Xmas Day and open them on Boxing Day but I don't know anyone who still waits. "

i opened presents today.....ok its only because i coudnt see my mum yesterday but i still upheld the tradditon of opening presents on Boxing Day

Today, and every 26th December is St Stephen's Day but only in the same way as yesterday was St Nicholas' Day (pretty much every day is a Saint's Day just some are more important than others).

It's a Bank Holiday tomorrow for a very simple reason. In days of yore when a Sunday meant something a Bank would be shut anyway and thus unable to enjoy the national holiday. A Bank Holiday literrally means a normal day when the Bank is shut. That's why you also have a BH on Tuesday & next Monday (replacing Saturday).

Right, I'll get my coat

By *eighleedsMan  over a year ago

leeds

"Today, and every 26th December is St Stephen's Day but only in the same way as yesterday was St Nicholas' Day (pretty much every day is a Saint's Day just some are more important than others).

It's a Bank Holiday tomorrow for a very simple reason. In days of yore when a Sunday meant something a Bank would be shut anyway and thus unable to enjoy the national holiday. A Bank Holiday literrally means a normal day when the Bank is shut. That's why you also have a BH on Tuesday & next Monday (replacing Saturday).

Right, I'll get my coat"

correct

teh real christmas day and boxing days this year fell on saturday and sunday, as they are nromally bank holidays, the following monday and tuesday become bank holidays

you could if you planned your work holidays correctly have had 10 days off work using only 3 days holiday as next monday is also a bank holiday (replaces new years day falling on a saturday.

You could also do this at easter

As Good friday is a bank holiday on teh 22 april, easter monday is 25th april, the roayl wedding is on the 29th and the goverment (if you beleive anything they say) are making that a bank holiday, 2nd may is also a bank holiday (mayday first monday in may)

so in this case you could have 11 days off using only 3 days annual leave

of course this only applies if you are employed in an occupation that does not consider weekends and bank holidays part of you normal working week

By *-and-KCouple  over a year ago

Back of Beyond

Leigh got it bang on.

xmas day and boxing day are always the 25th and 26th December, even when they fall on a weekend.

But when they do fall on the weekend the bank holidays you get for them are moved forward to the monday and tuesday, as it is recognised that you cannot have bank holidays on a weekend.

Don't know how it pans out for shopworkers though as the monday and tuesday they ususally work anyway. I expect they get double time if they work them

I could tell you how they work in the NHS but you'd need a week to even begin to comprehend. Even the staff gave up trying to figure it out and just accept what human resources say we get.

evesham

"Leigh got it bang on.

xmas day and boxing day are always the 25th and 26th December, even when they fall on a weekend.

But when they do fall on the weekend the bank holidays you get for them are moved forward to the monday and tuesday, as it is recognised that you cannot have bank holidays on a weekend.

Don't know how it pans out for shopworkers though as the monday and tuesday they ususally work anyway. I expect they get double time if they work them

I could tell you how they work in the NHS but you'd need a week to even begin to comprehend. Even the staff gave up trying to figure it out and just accept what human resources say we get."

the place i work at is open BH's so we need people in on those days as well. the way we work it is if you work BH you get to take the day off later in the year - essentially giving you 8 extra days holiday

» Add a new message to this topic