FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > false widow spider

false widow spider

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The false widow spider has become a bit of a tabloid sensation recently. It is cited as being Britain’s most dangerous spider, the most poisonous spider in the UK and even potentially deadly.

scared of spiders or not?

Not.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

not

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Not any more.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Not!! I even let one stay for about three weeks in my porch! Big mother fucker too!! Until she decided I had been hospitable enough and legged it!

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

My last Border Collie was called Spider

*courtesy of the useless information department*

"The false widow spider has become a bit of a tabloid sensation recently. It is cited as being Britain’s most dangerous spider, the most poisonous spider in the UK and even potentially deadly.

Not."

not me the Mrs is though but some do weird me out I found some in my garden that had blue tint on their bodies

Scared shitless cant even look at the money spiders make me shiver with fear if theres 1 in the house my boy has to kill it and hes 6

If my nerves are bad yes. If I'm feeling calm no.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

No I'm not scared of them, I quite like them in the house I think they're kind of friendly. Mr N isn't scared of them but won't have them in the house

By *iverscuMan  over a year ago

Berkshire

I found a false widow once in a packet of pomegranates from Tesco.

By *inkxRabbitWoman  over a year ago

Wokingish

I'm not scared of them but I instantly developed hatred of false widows when one bit me at 2am.

I woke to horrendous pain, like bad toothache. On inspection there was a big bite on my cheek. There was a squashed spider on my pillow which I'd obviously disturbed while she was drinking my tears. Posting a photo of it on Facebook led to its identification.

Trouble was, I was going into hospital for an operation that morning and almost got cancelled because my pulse was 160 and my blood pressure was through the floor. All was fine; the operation was fast and the anaesthetist looked after me beautifully when I was under.

Next time I see one the flamethrower will be used

"I'm not scared of them but I instantly developed hatred of false widows when one bit me at 2am.

I woke to horrendous pain, like bad toothache. On inspection there was a big bite on my cheek. There was a squashed spider on my pillow which I'd obviously disturbed while she was drinking my tears. Posting a photo of it on Facebook led to its identification.

Trouble was, I was going into hospital for an operation that morning and almost got cancelled because my pulse was 160 and my blood pressure was through the floor. All was fine; the operation was fast and the anaesthetist looked after me beautifully when I was under.

Next time I see one the flamethrower will be used "

Yes burn them all creepy lil shits theres a spider in brazil that can jump up to 8ft and its the size of your hand fuck that keep me well away that 1 would scare the flamthrower

"The false widow spider has become a bit of a tabloid sensation recently. It is cited as being Britain’s most dangerous spider, the most poisonous spider in the UK and even potentially deadly.

Not."

I have a couple living in the cab of my van.

I don't bother them and they don't bother me.

Jools is totally freaked out by spiders tho.

I don't mind spiders.

Mrs

I've I've got room to run away then I'm fine

I caught a huge one this morning and put it in the garden as I won't kill them.....well apart from the false widow that was in my garage that I sucked up the hoover!

By *oachman 9CoolMan  over a year ago

derby

"I found a false widow once in a packet of pomegranates from Tesco."
did you get a refund..?

By *ucky1Man  over a year ago

a straightjacket

Nowt worse than spiders legs

By *ucky1Man  over a year ago

a straightjacket

Nowt worse than spiders legs

derby

"I'm not scared of them but I instantly developed hatred of false widows when one bit me at 2am.

Yes burn them all creepy lil shits theres a spider in brazil that can jump up to 8ft and its the size of your hand fuck that keep me well away that 1 would scare the flamthrower "

Yes it would certainly be a eye opener if you had to venture into The rain forest or any such place, when you think of what we have here, those places what is left of them are Still primevil especially in the under Storey.

Yes I check under the loo seat every time I go. Cause with my luck I'd get a bum bite

Lets just say I get the shakes when I see a big one!

Had one in a shed once, hit it with a spade, it looked at me and said is that the best you can do!

FIVE clouts later, and he started to get a little pissed off with me, eventually got cut in half and broke the spade!

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

Frisky is scared of them...

We have loads of false widows in the garden and quite a few in the conservatory...

I will throw most spiders out of the house but will kill false widows... I have picked a few up. Apparently they are quite dosil unless threatened...

By *heWolfMan  over a year ago

warwickshire

" the most poisonous spider in the UK

"

Ahem, "venomous". It's only poisonous if you eat it.

Just sayin'...

Im petrified of spiders cant stand them being anywhere near me

Him

derby

"Lets just say I get the shakes when I see a big one!

Had one in a shed once, hit it with a spade, it looked at me and said is that the best you can do!

FIVE clouts later, and he started to get a little pissed off with me, eventually got cut in half and broke the spade!

"

Its when those egg sacs hatch In yer bedroom at night when your a Sleep, you won,t feel a thing..

Yes burn them all creepy lil shits theres a spider in brazil that can jump up to 8ft and its the size of your hand fuck that keep me well away that 1 would scare the flamthrower Yes it would certainly be a eye opener if you had to venture into The rain forest or any such place, when you think of what we have here, those places what is left of them are Still primevil especially in the under Storey."

The rain forrest is off limits not a chance could offer me a million bucks to walk in nooooooo way

Spiders scare the crap out of me and living in the country I get loads. A false widow fell out of my kitchen cloth the other day but I had been rinsing it in bleach so it was dead. OMG did I scream

" the most poisonous spider in the UK

Ahem, "venomous". It's only poisonous if you eat it.

Just sayin'... "

Now you fucking tell me... Where's the sick bowl

Love 'em

Have a huge common orb weaver (i think) tattooed on my chest

Woke up one morning in my chalet of the holiday camp I was working in with the biggest motherfucking house spider on my eye. I did jump a bit I have to say. They don't bother me generally though.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

two words ... or it may be one word.

Peppermint spray!

Spray it around your windows and doors. It works a treat! Failing that, use a shoe!

derby

"two words ... or it may be one word.

Peppermint spray!

Spray it around your windows and doors. It works a treat! Failing that, use a shoe! "

or conkers before they dry Up Inside, any chestnut oil emitted is a deterent to them, just replace yer Conkers each year with new ones, the chestnut trees were dropping there conkers here in early october, may have finished about now unless you Go further north.

Totally terrified of boris's to the point I throw the dog at them to scare em off or eat them ekkkkkkkkk

By *ngel n tedCouple  over a year ago

maidstone

Well i had a spider living up in the corner of my sty, she used to write things in her web about me, which stopped the farmer from making me into breakfasty type food. Unfortunately she passed away, but now i live with her daughters and we all live happily ever....ah, hold on, no that was something else...sorry

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

"Well i had a spider living up in the corner of my sty, she used to write things in her web about me, which stopped the farmer from making me into breakfasty type food. Unfortunately she passed away, but now i live with her daughters and we all live happily ever....ah, hold on, no that was something else...sorry "

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Well i had a spider living up in the corner of my sty, she used to write things in her web about me, which stopped the farmer from making me into breakfasty type food. Unfortunately she passed away, but now i live with her daughters and we all live happily ever....ah, hold on, no that was something else...sorry

"

Charlatans

We have had a few false widow spiders at work. Have had to put warning signs up at some sites.

Not see any personally though

I hate spiders. Hairy, scary, evil little fuckers

I leave them be, they catch and eat flies which I f@cking hate.

So it's a mutually beneficial relationship

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

Getting better with spiders, but still not a fan

I had one in my bathroom last month, brown with a skull like pattern on its back, well until it was squished & green puss came out.

*dislaimer I don't normally kill 'em!

warwickshire

I was bitten on the hand by a spider two summers ago in the South of France while I was having a mid-day snooze on some grass.

By next morning I couldn't get my glove on and had to ride to the local hospital on my motorbike barely able to pull the clutch lever (this is after being called a pussy by certain people back home - until I sent pics of my hand and they changed their tune).

The pain and swelling went down pretty quickly with the tablets and ointment I was given, but the wound festered and wept for months. Even today, there's a white scar on my finger which will itch, bleed and weep every now and again.

I hate spiders!

By *lactontogMan  over a year ago

Clacton on Sea

False Widows are quite docile compared to Garden spiders & our normal house spiders, i have found Wasp spiders (larger member of our garden spider 3x) in our back garden & False Widows are the norm in most houses down south.

Both of the above spiders are slow & quite friendly to our own native species, all spiders even our own will give a bite compared to a wasp sting & some which can include children / elderly can have a serious effect like some do with wasp/bee stings.

derby

"I was bitten on the hand by a spider two summers ago in the South of France while I was having a mid-day snooze on some grass.

By next morning I couldn't get my glove on and had to ride to the local hospital on my motorbike barely able to pull the clutch lever (this is after being called a pussy by certain people back home - until I sent pics of my hand and they changed their tune).

The pain and swelling went down pretty quickly with the tablets and ointment I was given, but the wound festered and wept for months. Even today, there's a white scar on my finger which will itch, bleed and weep every now and again.

I hate spiders! "

Be Interesting to know which species bit you.

I am scared of them. I do have them killed, obviously not by me as I'm too scared to go near them.

Not

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

No. I love spiders, though prefer them in the garden, trapping insect pests.

By *iggersbounceMan  over a year ago

Folkestone

As an Aussie I don't find British spiders all that challenging. I think the False Widow spider is comparable to the Red Back spider, which will hurt you but not kill you. The only difference is that Red Back spiders are everywhere in Oz. I'm wary of the really poisonous ones and treat them with respect but otherwise I'm not bothered by them.

warwickshire

"Be Interesting to know which species bit you."

Indeed it would. I didn't know why my hand ballooned overnight, but the Quack just looked at it and said "Spider". It was starting to ulcerate so I couldn't make out any puncture marks. From then on, if I felt the need for a siesta (which in the sunshine down there was most days), I'd get the hammock out, bug net and all, instead of just crashing out on the grass.

warwickshire

"As an Aussie I don't find British spiders all that challenging. I think the False Widow spider is comparable to the Red Back spider, which will hurt you but not kill you. The only difference is that Red Back spiders are everywhere in Oz. I'm wary of the really poisonous ones and treat them with respect but otherwise I'm not bothered by them."

Just read something where a chap would be out working in Oz before dawn and after dark. Sometimes he'd drive down tracks and it looked like ahead was covered with broken glass glinting in his headlights.

Turns out that they were the light reflecting in the eyes of millions of spiders which emerge from burrows at night. Oz is not top of my list of places to visit.

By *rotiquexxxMan  over a year ago

Unquenchable Desires

When I moved into new house there was a big black spider with orange legs. Scared the shit out of me.

By *lactontogMan  over a year ago

Clacton on Sea

"As an Aussie I don't find British spiders all that challenging. I think the False Widow spider is comparable to the Red Back spider, which will hurt you but not kill you. The only difference is that Red Back spiders are everywhere in Oz. I'm wary of the really poisonous ones and treat them with respect but otherwise I'm not bothered by them.

Just read something where a chap would be out working in Oz before dawn and after dark. Sometimes he'd drive down tracks and it looked like ahead was covered with broken glass glinting in his headlights.

Turns out that they were the light reflecting in the eyes of millions of spiders which emerge from burrows at night. Oz is not top of my list of places to visit."

Huntsman Spiders are now breeding in the UK & last week in Basildon, Essex there was a story about a little kid feeding grasshoppers to something & when the mother saw it she called the authorities straight away because she had found funnel web spiders in her garden which are the most vicious of all spiders.

There have also been scorpions in Harwich for years near the docks, if you shine a torch on the walls at night time you will see them shine but don't worry they are harmless compared to most others & only about an inch & half long..

"My last Border Collie was called Spider

*courtesy of the useless information department*"

I used to drink with a chap called Spider.

Also courtesy of the useless information department.

In nuneaton they found the nest of the most feared spider in a bunch of bananas the brazilian wandering spider and apparently it can survive in our climate they should quarentine nuneaton until they are all found kill them all this spider bites for the fun of it and your dead within the hour

i dont like them

warwickshire

"In nuneaton they found the nest of the most feared spider in a bunch of bananas the brazilian wandering spider and apparently it can survive in our climate they should quarentine nuneaton until they are all found kill them all this spider bites for the fun of it and your dead within the hour "

...with a raging hard-on, from some accounts.

derby

"Be Interesting to know which species bit you.

Indeed it would. I didn't know why my hand ballooned overnight, but the Quack just looked at it and said "Spider". It was starting to ulcerate so I couldn't make out any puncture marks. From then on, if I felt the need for a siesta (which in the sunshine down there was most days), I'd get the hammock out, bug net and all, instead of just crashing out on the grass."

Once bitten twice Shy, yes not a nice experience at all.

By *inkxRabbitWoman  over a year ago

Wokingish

I lived in Africa for the first 16 years of my life. Never got bitten by a spider once. Then I get bitten on my pillow in a Surrey village. I never considered the possibility even!

It's worth mentioning though that for about 5 years when I emigrated to the UK I still shook my shoes out and looked under the bed. Nobody wants to tread in a black mamba at 3 am! Wellies were the worst! There was nearly always some creature in the bottom of one of them

Nah. UK spiders don't frighten this white African. When you've faced a hippo in your garden, monkeys on the washing line, a snake round the toilet flush handle and the bites of hundreds of furious African bees on your feet the odd friendly spider is no big deal.

Relax man

By *iggersbounceMan  over a year ago

Folkestone

I can imagine that you folks would find a Huntsman spider very intimidating. I quite like them, generally they don't bother humans and primarily they hunt other more poisonous spiders. They're an ambush predator and really, really fast. You have to lead the target when you throw your thong at it on the wall.

It wouldn't surprise me that a Huntsman or would make it over here as they have a wide range in Oz and get everywhere but I would be very surprised to find a Sydney Funnel Web here. They have a very limited range and I don't think they would be very tolerant of the weather. The sightings here were most likely Labyrinth spiders.

There was some photo's kicking around social media of what looked like a snow or frost covered field in the south of Oz. It was spiders webs, miles and miles of spiders webs.

» Add a new message to this topic