FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > UK population 'to top 70 million in 12 years

UK population 'to top 70 million in 12 years

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The UK population is to increase beyond 70 million in the next 12 years, official projections suggest.

The Office for National Statistics said the population was expected to increase by 4.4 million in the next decade, before reaching 70 million in 2027. How come it will be so much and are there really spaces to accommodate it all here? What's your thought of the prediction they made?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

yeah that might happen

sods law i will still be single

There are too many people everywhere. Humans are insideous.

-Courtney

"There are too many people everywhere. Humans are insideous.

-Courtney"

Yes, it is said we will over populate the world in few decades as well.

-CourtneyYes, it is said we will over populate the world in few decades as well."

Apparently China may be getting rid of its one child policy, too.

-Courtney

-CourtneyYes, it is said we will over populate the world in few decades as well.

Apparently China may be getting rid of its one child policy, too.

-Courtney"

12yrs. I reckon at the rate we're letting people in we can do this in 12 minutes!

yeah i agree if this continues...not much room for food products..harvests etc

when that space has been used for housing..then what

By *oachman 9CoolMan  over a year ago

derby

-CourtneyYes, it is said we will over populate the world in few decades as well."

Its the future generations I feel sorry for, they will feel all this burden in years to come and it will Become more as time goes by, somethings We have no control of sadly to say, but Not just in this country as you mentioned before but Across The earth.

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

"yeah i agree if this continues...not much room for food products..harvests etc

when that space has been used for housing..then what"

Approx. 12% of the total landmass of the UK is built on.

That's all cities, towns, villages, roads, infrastructure, the lot.

Plenty of space yet.

Plenty of space yet. "

Fancy living on a mountain?

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

"yeah that might happen

sods law i will still be single"

I'll probably still be single too

Mmmm

I did have this very debate with my friend awhile back!.

I think we agreed to disagree

"Mmmm

I think we agreed to disagree "

That is good, but have they included the migrants as well in the result?

"The UK population is to increase beyond 70 million in the next 12 years, official projections suggest.

The Office for National Statistics said the population was expected to increase by 4.4 million in the next decade, before reaching 70 million in 2027. How come it will be so much and are there really spaces to accommodate it all here? What's your thought of the prediction they made?"

do we get some kind of reward for this do you think or is this still down to the Asian community over populating the whole world rather than just sticking to their indigenous countries hugs

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Plenty of space yet. "

I just love when that little pippin pops out.

So of the 88% left which bits would you build on. Farmland? That would be good then we could import lots more food for the growing population

Or what about the national parks. Yes let's concrete over the Lake District, Peak District, Yorkshire Dales, Snowdonia, Scottish Highlands Etc.

Then we could always tarmac over the flood plains, but hey what's a bit of flooding in the Severn valley between friends Eh?

That is before all the extra infrastructure that would have to be put in place. Schools, hospitals, roads Etc.

When taken on its own England is the most densely populated country in Europe, and London and the south east the most densely populated region. It is only the open spaces of Scotland and Wales (mostly national park or farm land) that skews the UK figure.

Town and country planning not your strong point methinks.

I blame the bare backers on fab

"I blame the bare backers on fab "
yes especially the ones who fuck arse hugs

According to the cab driver I had recently it's the immigrants having more than two children making the country too full up.

"Mmmm

I think we agreed to disagree That is good, but have they included the migrants as well in the result?"

Not sure, but the minute you mention population control...

You get the"you racist" reply!.

So China's ending there one child policy and moving too a two child policy!.. The reason given is an ageing population... And that doesn't fit in with a capitalist system.

So it's full speed ahead for young immigrants in most of the western world!

Err hate to ruin there short term solutions but... Young people get old and then they require pensions and health care... And you need even more immigration or more baby's to solve the aging immigrants!

Pyramid schemes with fancy names are still pyramid schemes!

"According to the cab driver I had recently it's the immigrants having more than two children making the country too full up. "

He's not exactly way off the mark!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The most important issue here is whether there will still be bushes in Penge?

Glastonbury

Plenty of space yet.

I just love when that little pippin pops out.

So of the 88% left which bits would you build on. Farmland? That would be good then we could import lots more food for the growing population

Or what about the national parks. Yes let's concrete over the Lake District, Peak District, Yorkshire Dales, Snowdonia, Scottish Highlands Etc.

Then we could always tarmac over the flood plains, but hey what's a bit of flooding in the Severn valley between friends Eh?

That is before all the extra infrastructure that would have to be put in place. Schools, hospitals, roads Etc.

When taken on its own England is the most densely populated country in Europe, and London and the south east the most densely populated region. It is only the open spaces of Scotland and Wales (mostly national park or farm land) that skews the UK figure.

Town and country planning not your strong point methinks."

There is plenty of space in the UK

By *ngel n tedCouple  over a year ago

maidstone

There's still plenty of room, look at all those roundabouts with grass on, you could get at least 10 houses on them, especially the way they're built these days. Come on councils, you wasteful fuckers....england's grey and pavemented lands

"The UK population is to increase beyond 70 million in the next 12 years, official projections suggest.

The Office for National Statistics said the population was expected to increase by 4.4 million in the next decade, before reaching 70 million in 2027. How come it will be so much and are there really spaces to accommodate it all here? What's your thought of the prediction they made?"

My suggestion would be that people stop having sprogs.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Too many people

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the increased age in death. People are living longer, seeing 3 or 4 generations of a family, so this will have an impact on the countries population level

By *olfcartweaselCouple  over a year ago

Melrose

If the population isn't constantly increasing (given people are living to an older age), then you have an ageing population

If you have an ageing population, then pretty much all social programmes (the NHS, state pension, etc.) collapse, since they rely on the young to pay for them (i.e. your pension is not the money *you* paid in in your youth, it's the money today's youth are paying in right now)

Glastonbury

"I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the increased age in death. People are living longer, seeing 3 or 4 generations of a family, so this will have an impact on the countries population level "

Or all the empty office space, empty buildings and brownfield sites - it's just that developers want to maximise their revenues by building shitty noddy box estates.

"If the population isn't constantly increasing (given people are living to an older age), then you have an ageing population

If you have an ageing population, then pretty much all social programmes (the NHS, state pension, etc.) collapse, since they rely on the young to pay for them (i.e. your pension is not the money *you* paid in in your youth, it's the money today's youth are paying in right now)"

Yes. However, that doesn't mean that we can't try to control population growth while sensibly taking that into account when planning the budgets for these programs. We just can't decrease population without forethought in budget planning.

-Courtney

"I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the increased age in death. People are living longer, seeing 3 or 4 generations of a family, so this will have an impact on the countries population level

Or all the empty office space, empty buildings and brownfield sites - it's just that developers want to maximise their revenues by building shitty noddy box estates. "

That's very true, near where I live there are many derelict buildings, some over the past 2 years have been knocked down and turned into flats, yet there's still many more standing doing nothing

By *ngel n tedCouple  over a year ago

maidstone

"I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the increased age in death. People are living longer, seeing 3 or 4 generations of a family, so this will have an impact on the countries population level

Or all the empty office space, empty buildings and brownfield sites - it's just that developers want to maximise their revenues by building shitty noddy box estates. "

It's the new era over friendly neighbourhoods, no longer the days of just passing something over the fence to your nextdoor neighbour, now your can pass something over your gate to your neighbours opposite as well. Who needs wide roads anyway ...

"If the population isn't constantly increasing (given people are living to an older age), then you have an ageing population

If you have an ageing population, then pretty much all social programmes (the NHS, state pension, etc.) collapse, since they rely on the young to pay for them (i.e. your pension is not the money *you* paid in in your youth, it's the money today's youth are paying in right now)

Yes. However, that doesn't mean that we can't try to control population growth while sensibly taking that into account when planning the budgets for these programs. We just can't decrease population without forethought in budget planning.

-Courtney"

I believe capping tax credits at 2 children, will be a control over population growth. Both parents can work and be entitled to tax credits, but with it being capped at 2 children, I think this may prevent people having more

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Or all the empty office space, empty buildings and brownfield sites - it's just that developers want to maximise their revenues by building shitty noddy box estates.

That's very true, near where I live there are many derelict buildings, some over the past 2 years have been knocked down and turned into flats, yet there's still many more standing doing nothing "

There's a block of flats opposite the Portsmouth shopping centre with views over the river - prime site: it's been derelict for years. The owners should either be forced to sell or made to refurbish it. Not leave it to rot.

Glastonbury

-Courtney

I believe capping tax credits at 2 children, will be a control over population growth. Both parents can work and be entitled to tax credits, but with it being capped at 2 children, I think this may prevent people having more "

Why should poor people be penalised for having children?

Are you gonna stunt the life of an innocent child because of their parents?

-Courtney

I believe capping tax credits at 2 children, will be a control over population growth. Both parents can work and be entitled to tax credits, but with it being capped at 2 children, I think this may prevent people having more

Are you gonna stunt the life of an innocent child because of their parents?"

Who suggested stunting the life of a child?

I'm not a poor person or rich but if I can't afford something I don't get into debt for it, With a increasing population 2 children is enough for any family, I wouldn't have a dog/pets if I couldn't afford to look after it properly never mind children

Glastonbury

"I'm not a poor person or rich but if I can't afford something I don't get into debt for it, With a increasing population 2 children is enough for any family, I wouldn't have a dog/pets if I couldn't afford to look after it properly never mind children"

So how about families that already have more than 2 kids?

You gonna stop their benefits?

I really don't follow

-Courtney

I don't think they should be penalised but they should have a long hard thing about bringing children into the world they simply can't afford to take care of. Between my wife and I we have 7 children, we are not rich but can afford to give our children a decent quality of life. I think it's wrong when people have children being on benefits then having more children.

"I'm not a poor person or rich but if I can't afford something I don't get into debt for it, With a increasing population 2 children is enough for any family, I wouldn't have a dog/pets if I couldn't afford to look after it properly never mind children

So how about families that already have more than 2 kids?

You gonna stop their benefits?

I really don't follow"

I was just replying to it may prevent people having more

-Courtney

I don't think they should be penalised but they should have a long hard thing about bringing children into the world they simply can't afford to take care of. Between my wife and I we have 7 children, we are not rich but can afford to give our children a decent quality of life. I think it's wrong when people have children being on benefits then having more children. "

*think (not thing).

Glastonbury

-Courtney

I don't think they should be penalised but they should have a long hard thing about bringing children into the world they simply can't afford to take care of. Between my wife and I we have 7 children, we are not rich but can afford to give our children a decent quality of life. I think it's wrong when people have children being on benefits then having more children. "

Maybe we should just sterilise the poor as they're incapable of supporting themselves or their children?

Surely that's kinder?

-Courtney

I don't think they should be penalised but they should have a long hard thing about bringing children into the world they simply can't afford to take care of. Between my wife and I we have 7 children, we are not rich but can afford to give our children a decent quality of life. I think it's wrong when people have children being on benefits then having more children.

Maybe we should just sterilise the poor as they're incapable of supporting themselves or their children?

Surely that's kinder?"

You're being facetious. And setting up straw man arguments. No one has suggested anything close to this. Saying people should be able to afford their lifestyle does not equate to sterilizing the poor.

Note that I have not made comments regarding this issue at all, by the way.

-Courtney

Glastonbury

-Courtney

Surely that's kinder?"

Or maybe the poor could sell their unwanted children for food - at a stroke getting rid of unneeded mouths, putting money in the hands of poor people and providing food for rich people.

?

You might call it a Modest Proposal

-Courtney

Surely that's kinder?"

Maybe hard working people should be made to cough up even more to support them?

Glastonbury

"Maybe we should just sterilise the poor as they're incapable of supporting themselves or their children?

Surely that's kinder?

You're being facetious. And setting up straw man arguments. No one has suggested anything close to this. Saying people should be able to afford their lifestyle does not equate to sterilizing the poor.

-Courtney"

Of course I'm being facetious.

But the question was about building enough homes for a projected rise in population and somehow the convo has drifted towards saying that it's the fault of poor people having too many children...

I really don't follow.

It has more to do with not enough homes being built and the successive g'mets running down council housing.

Surely?

-Courtney

Surely that's kinder?"

Or just educate them enough so they don't think the tax payer/government will keep paying them to have more after they have had 1-2 children

"Maybe we should just sterilise the poor as they're incapable of supporting themselves or their children?

Surely that's kinder?

-Courtney

Of course I'm being facetious.

But the question was about building enough homes for a projected rise in population and somehow the convo has drifted towards saying that it's the fault of poor people having too many children...

I really don't follow.

It has more to do with not enough homes being built and the successive g'mets running down council housing.

Surely? "

No. The question was multi-faceted. Population increase was at the heart of that question. It isn't unreasonable to talk about the need for population control. And that is not limited to child benefits and poor people.

I personally don't understand how humans can be so selfish as to want 3, 4, 5, or more children at the expense of society and nature as a whole. And I am not just talking about the poor. Everyone is to blame.

-Courtney

Glastonbury

Surely that's kinder?

Or just educate them enough so they don't think the tax payer/government will keep paying them to have more after they have had 1-2 children"

Do people really think that?

And how do you know?

Glastonbury

"But the question was about building enough homes for a projected rise in population and somehow the convo has drifted towards saying that it's the fault of poor people having too many children...

I really don't follow.

Surely?

No. The question was multi-faceted. Population increase was at the heart of that question. It isn't unreasonable to talk about the need for population control. And that is not limited to child benefits and poor people.

I personally don't understand how humans can be so selfish as to want 3, 4, 5, or more children at the expense of society and nature as a whole. And I am not just talking about the poor. Everyone is to blame.

-Courtney"

We're continually told that growth is a 'good thing' and we'd have problems if, like France, Germany or Italy, we had negative population growth.

Part of the problem is a lack of housing, part of the problem is people living longer.

How many people do you know with 'large' families? Where are they?

And the question was rather facile, tbh.

"But the question was about building enough homes for a projected rise in population and somehow the convo has drifted towards saying that it's the fault of poor people having too many children...

I really don't follow.

Surely?

-Courtney

We're continually told that growth is a 'good thing' and we'd have problems if, like France, Germany or Italy, we had negative population growth.

Part of the problem is a lack of housing, part of the problem is people living longer.

How many people do you know with 'large' families? Where are they?

And the question was rather facile, tbh. "

I know tons of people with large families. My mother was one of 10. My father one of 5. My cousins have a family of 6 kids. I am one of 3. I find it all awful when I think about the state of the environment. How we can talk about land like it is all just there for us to bulldoze and build more houses on.

You are right, we are told that we will all be worse off if we have negative population growth. But I think that it all stems from over-reliance on a capitalistic society. So long as we remain capitalists, the growth in demand will be absolutely required in order to sustain our economies. That doesn't make it right. It just means the entire system is screwed up.

But fine, let's just put houses on every available spot on the planet, and kill the natural environment, and outpace the rate at which nature can handle our modifications. In the end, the world will still be here. But we may not be.

-Courtney

By *errygTV/TS  over a year ago

denton

more people driving traffic is bad enough, more demand on water supplies, have we the storage capacity

Can't remember the docu i watched but its about world population.

So many people blame 3rd world countries for the planet being over-populated but the studies they showed were not the case.

3rd world countries now seem to be declining in population, instead of having so many kids and not all of them surviving, they had less, the kids grew up better educated and so many grow up deciding education first before having families, only having what they can afford.

Over here though is different, people just having as many as they can and not worrying if they can afford it since the state will pay for them anyway.

I get moaned at and told im selfish for not wanting to have kids. Im doing the world a favor

"more people driving traffic is bad enough, more demand on water supplies, have we the storage capacity"

More of everything coming into the country we don't or can't supply ourselves. That all has to be transported across seas and oceans and distributed across the country.

Glastonbury

"more people driving traffic is bad enough, more demand on water supplies, have we the storage capacity

More of everything coming into the country we don't or can't supply ourselves. That all has to be transported across seas and oceans and distributed across the country. "

This is the logic of capitalism - it's cheaper to buy it from abroad than grow it ourselves. It's not that we don;t have enough land, it's just not profitable.

In the beginning of the report it said its mostly assumption ...assuming immigrants come in at this steady rate assuming nothing gets done about immigration I think the op left that bit out anyone can assume their is life on mars or their is life after death doesn't mean it's true

"Can't remember the docu i watched but its about world population.

So many people blame 3rd world countries for the planet being over-populated but the studies they showed were not the case.

3rd world countries now seem to be declining in population, instead of having so many kids and not all of them surviving, they had less, the kids grew up better educated and so many grow up deciding education first before having families, only having what they can afford.

Over here though is different, people just having as many as they can and not worrying if they can afford it since the state will pay for them anyway.

I get moaned at and told im selfish for not wanting to have kids. Im doing the world a favor "

No I can completely assure you that population growth is coming from the third world!

Nearly every single industrialised country in the world has a declining population and has done for many years!, it's the industrialisation that makes the population drop,

Think back to the Victorian age and nearly everybody had 9 kids, they had 9 kids for good reasons! 4 would die before teenage years and the other 5 were needed to bring in a wage... Or a living wage at least, industry had many jobs for 6 year olds like threading looms (little hands and fingers), government practically made school legal to stop children from working and that meant wages had to increase, which meant less profit which meant.... Guess what

All that I've just described happens today in India and Bangladesh and Vietnam and Chile.

"more people driving traffic is bad enough, more demand on water supplies, have we the storage capacity

More of everything coming into the country we don't or can't supply ourselves. That all has to be transported across seas and oceans and distributed across the country.

This is the logic of capitalism - it's cheaper to buy it from abroad than grow it ourselves. It's not that we don;t have enough land, it's just not profitable. "

The uk imports 40% of its food!

Food security will bite you on your ass in about 10-15 years.

Take a look around the world, wheat yields, rice yields, corn yields... They all topped out 5 years ago, there's loads of countries that are over pumping ground water, fresh water is getting really scarce in many places(have a look at the problems California and Arizona and new Mexico are facing, have a look at the Colorado and the hoover dam).

top soil erosion, depleting water supplies, declining bee populations, climate change... Yeah you know a three week poor weather event can completely fuck an entire yearly harvest.

I would suggest having a look at many university studies about food Sustainability, it's quite surprising how much land is needed to feed one family!

What was the population 500 years ago? What would they have said about our world and could they have comprehended how we would cope?

We are something of a pestilence. We do need to ask ourselves difficult questions but doomsaying would have kept Magellan in port and the Wright brothers on the ground.

We are amazing beings capable of great feats but being pessimistic is just as destructive to our planets survival as being blasé.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UbmG8gtBPM

worth a watch

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I don't mind the extra people. Folks have been saying that we are full ever since they've been asking this question.

"What was the population 500 years ago? What would they have said about our world and could they have comprehended how we would cope?

We are something of a pestilence. We do need to ask ourselves difficult questions but doomsaying would have kept Magellan in port and the Wright brothers on the ground.

We are amazing beings capable of great feats but being pessimistic is just as destructive to our planets survival as being blasé. "

The population was pretty much flat until... We discovered really really cheap energy!...

The best thing is too expect the best but plan for the worst!

Every leap forward has a trap door in the future for you to fall into!

The earth has limits, physical limits, there's only so much copper ore for instance, if we dug up all the ore in the world, you couldn't wire or plumb the world to the standards we have, we used to mine copper ore at 16%, for every 100 tonnes of stuff moved 16% of it would be copper, today we mine copper at about 0.8% , there's a copper mine in south America that there mining for about 10 years round the clock with earth movers just to get to that copper at nearly 1%.... That's technology that's allowed that... But trust me... There's limits to it

Glastonbury

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UbmG8gtBPM

worth a watch"

I don't have an hour - can you give a precis?

"What was the population 500 years ago? What would they have said about our world and could they have comprehended how we would cope?

I think the theory of evolution would suggest population growth has not been flat. Exponential increase maybe but the theory still holds true. The genius of mankind has brought is where we are. It'll either take us onwards or destroy us. Being blinkered to either possibility is to stand on the shoulders of giants but sh*t yourself over the vertigo.

We are amazing beings capable of great feats but being pessimistic is just as destructive to our planets survival as being blasé.

As for the copper. Dodo's were delicious but when they were gone we ate something else.

The population was pretty much flat until... We discovered really really cheap energy!...

The best thing is too expect the best but plan for the worst!

Every leap forward has a trap door in the future for you to fall into!

The earth has limits, physical limits, there's only so much copper ore for instance, if we dug up all the ore in the world, you couldn't wire or plumb the world to the standards we have, we used to mine copper ore at 16%, for every 100 tonnes of stuff moved 16% of it would be copper, today we mine copper at about 0.8% , there's a copper mine in south America that there mining for about 10 years round the clock with earth movers just to get to that copper at nearly 1%.... That's technology that's allowed that... But trust me... There's limits to it"

Will the world population plateau? Will it get to a point where people decide to only have 2 children to replace them when they die?

Will Muslims take over the world by having large families? (A kid told me that was the plan when I worked in a school.) Will disease decimate the population time and again to keep numbers down?

"Will the world population plateau? Will it get to a point where people decide to only have 2 children to replace them when they die?

Will Muslims take over the world by having large families? (A kid told me that was the plan when I worked in a school.) Will disease decimate the population time and again to keep numbers down? "

As soon as they start mining the Moon/Mars they will offer free transport and send all the poor un-educated people to do all the dirty work,

That will keep the numbers down

"Will the world population plateau? Will it get to a point where people decide to only have 2 children to replace them when they die?

Will Muslims take over the world by having large families? (A kid told me that was the plan when I worked in a school.) Will disease decimate the population time and again to keep numbers down?

As soon as they start mining the Moon/Mars they will offer free transport and send all the poor un-educated people to do all the dirty work,

That will keep the numbers down "

I never thought of that. I'm glad I'll be gone by then. I hope my great great great grandchildren like space travel

Glastonbury

I think lower birth rates in the West have more to do with relative wealth and security...

Typically, high birth rates are associated with health problems, low life expectancy, low living standards, low social status for women and low educational levels.

Glastonbury

And apropos...

China has decided to end its decades-long one-child policy, the state-run Xinhua news agency reports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-34665539

"I think lower birth rates in the West have more to do with relative wealth and security...

Typically, high birth rates are associated with health problems, low life expectancy, low living standards, low social status for women and low educational levels.

"

Baby making machines,keep them in their place attitude?

My neighbours had 13 children and 9 and my parents had 6-although that is with 2 sets of twins. I can't imagine giving birth to that many babies let alone look after them.

-Courtney

I never quoted poor people? Being on tax credits doesn't mean you're poor, you are paying into the system and receiving something back to afford to live, especially with constant rising living wage!

Never once did I say I agreed with it either, it's something that is happening through government policy, not something I've suggested

Not

That random "not" isn't supposed to be at the end of my last comment

-Courtney

I never quoted poor people? Being on tax credits doesn't mean you're poor, you are paying into the system and receiving something back to afford to live, especially with constant rising living wage!

Never once did I say I agreed with it either, it's something that is happening through government policy, not something I've suggested

Not "

Would not being able to claim for a third child see an increase in abortions or be a legitimate reason to have one? Should women be sterilised after having two in case they accidentally get pregnant? More babies left in dustbins?

Glastonbury

You see the difficulties we get in to by saying other people 'ought' to do this or that...

It's a fricking mine-field...

And best left to individuals to make their own decisions

-Courtney

Not

Would not being able to claim for a third child see an increase in abortions or be a legitimate reason to have one? Should women be sterilised after having two in case they accidentally get pregnant? More babies left in dustbins? "

The US doesn't give child benefits at all and I've never seen a baby in a dustbin...

(PS- I'm not saying I like US benefit policy....just saying one does not equate the other).

-Courtney

"You see the difficulties we get in to by saying other people 'ought' to do this or that...

And best left to individuals to make their own decisions"

I wonder how that would work with other things in society....like driving or taxes

-Courtney

-Courtney

Not

Would not being able to claim for a third child see an increase in abortions or be a legitimate reason to have one? Should women be sterilised after having two in case they accidentally get pregnant? More babies left in dustbins? "

Individuals circumstances can change, so for example could be in a well paid job and have a partner working too, the partner could die and leaving behind 4 children with a single parent. Yet in this circumstance it wasn't something through choice and losing an extra income, but because they had 4 children they will only be entitled for the benefits of two. Policies like this could have an impact on many, regardless of their profile.

-Courtney

Not

Would not being able to claim for a third child see an increase in abortions or be a legitimate reason to have one? Should women be sterilised after having two in case they accidentally get pregnant? More babies left in dustbins?

The US doesn't give child benefits at all and I've never seen a baby in a dustbin...

(PS- I'm not saying I like US benefit policy....just saying one does not equate the other).

-Courtney"

What's the abortion rate in the US? Do you think people are less likely to get pregnant if there's no financial support? I don't know anything about how low paid people live in the US or how much rents,mortgages and utilities are.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

-Courtney

Not

-Courtney

What's the abortion rate in the US? Do you think people are less likely to get pregnant if there's no financial support? I don't know anything about how low paid people live in the US or how much rents,mortgages and utilities are. "

Abortion legislation is not what it is like over here in the states, I believe in some states is really difficult to have an abortion. However I only lived in the states for a short period of time so I will let Courtney give a true picture

Glastonbury

"You see the difficulties we get in to by saying other people 'ought' to do this or that...

I wonder how that would work with other things in society....like driving or taxes

-Courtney"

But we're not talking about driving or taxes - we're talking about the 'problem' of birthrate and how difficult it is to proscribe how people should act 'accordingly'.

-Courtney

Not

-Courtney

What's the abortion rate in the US? Do you think people are less likely to get pregnant if there's no financial support? I don't know anything about how low paid people live in the US or how much rents,mortgages and utilities are. "

According to the CDC, abortion rates in the US are 219 per 1,000 live births. However, to get a true picture you would have to go state-by-state as the laws differ greatly.

But that isn't really my point. I don't think that financial assistance is the main factor in abortions....I think the availability of contraception is. And that is easier to get in the UK than in the US for sure.

But in any case, as I originally, said, I am not arguing one way or the other on child benefits (they are a foreign concept to me anyway). My comment about abortions had more to do with the fact that I thought you were overstating the point. Babies in dustbins is quite a leap to make from the idea that child benefits should be restricted to the first 2 kids.

-Courtney

-Courtney

But we're not talking about driving or taxes - we're talking about the 'problem' of birthrate and how difficult it is to proscribe how people should act 'accordingly'."

Yes, but the point still stands. There are some things that matter beyond what individuals want. Just because it may be hard to legislate, doesn't mean it isn't a problem that needs to be looked into. If we leave it up to individuals then we will end up increasing exponentially, as we have been doing.

Individuals have a hard time extrapolating from their own situation to a global situation.

Now, keep in mind that I will not be having children. I will be dead before the real crisis is reached. I would think, however, that people who have children or grandchildren would care about these things. It is their progeny that will be left with the mess.

-Courtney

-Courtney

Not

-Courtney

What's the abortion rate in the US? Do you think people are less likely to get pregnant if there's no financial support? I don't know anything about how low paid people live in the US or how much rents,mortgages and utilities are.

According to the CDC, abortion rates in the US are 219 per 1,000 live births. However, to get a true picture you would have to go state-by-state as the laws differ greatly.

But that isn't really my point. I don't think that financial assistance is the main factor in abortions....I think the availability of contraception is. And that is easier to get in the UK than in the US for sure.

But in any case, as I originally, said, I am not arguing one way or the other on child benefits (they are a foreign concept to me anyway). My comment about abortions had more to do with the fact that I thought you were overstating the point. Babies in dustbins is quite a leap to make from the idea that child benefits should be restricted to the first 2 kids.

-Courtney"

Me and my shit research. These are the actual abortion stats from the CDC (in 2011):

The abortion rate was 13.9 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years and the abortion ratio was 219 abortions per 1,000 live births.

By *oachman 9CoolMan  over a year ago

derby

-Courtney

But we're not talking about driving or taxes - we're talking about the 'problem' of birthrate and how difficult it is to proscribe how people should act 'accordingly'.

Yes, but the point still stands. There are some things that matter beyond what individuals want. Just because it may be hard to legislate, doesn't mean it isn't a problem that needs to be looked into. If we leave it up to individuals then we will end up increasing exponentially, as we have been doing.

Individuals have a hard time extrapolating from their own situation to a global situation.

Now, keep in mind that I will not be having children. I will be dead before the real crisis is reached. I would think, however, that people who have children or grandchildren would care about these things. It is their progeny that will be left with the mess.

-Courtney"

Agree its always the future generations that well feel the Change for better or worse..

I just researched how many babies are abandoned in the UK,I was over-stretching my point but I was surprised to read this on the BBC website:

As many as 50 babies are abandoned in the UK each year, with some dying from cold or exposure before they are discovered. I would think that abortions would go up rather than babies being abandoned when someone accidentally gets pregnant with a baby they can't afford. People manage though,children aren't children forever and both parents can work. Might stop the single women getting pregnant by every boyfriend they have,which is a good thing.

"I just researched how many babies are abandoned in the UK,I was over-stretching my point but I was surprised to read this on the BBC website:

As many as 50 babies are abandoned in the UK each year, with some dying from cold or exposure before they are discovered. I would think that abortions would go up rather than babies being abandoned when someone accidentally gets pregnant with a baby they can't afford. People manage though,children aren't children forever and both parents can work. Might stop the single women getting pregnant by every boyfriend they have,which is a good thing. "

Who wrote that? A BBC reporter? That sounds horrible.

"I just researched how many babies are abandoned in the UK,I was over-stretching my point but I was surprised to read this on the BBC website:

As many as 50 babies are abandoned in the UK each year, with some dying from cold or exposure before they are discovered. I would think that abortions would go up rather than babies being abandoned when someone accidentally gets pregnant with a baby they can't afford. People manage though,children aren't children forever and both parents can work. Might stop the single women getting pregnant by every boyfriend they have,which is a good thing.

Who wrote that? A BBC reporter? That sounds horrible. "

Up to the word discovered was off a BBC article about baby boxes. After that was me. I'm wondering what women will do if they accidentally get pregnant with a 3rd or more child if they claim credits for their children.

Up to the word discovered was off a BBC article about baby boxes. After that was me. I'm wondering what women will do if they accidentally get pregnant with a 3rd or more child if they claim credits for their children. "

Oh! I understand now. Sorry I read that wrong

Anyway, yeah I don't really know about that. I will stay out of the benefits debate as I always get told to go back to my country when I state an opinion on it.

I was speaking more to the population crisis as a generalized concept.

-Courtney

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

-Courtney

"

Simple. Because they can't bloody well afford them and it's not my job to pay for some selfish bastards yuman fucking rights.

-Courtney

Simple. Because they can't bloody well afford them and it's not my job to pay for some selfish bastards yuman fucking rights. "

Yes, that is totally the best way to make a coherent and persuasive argument.

-Courtney

-Courtney

Simple. Because they can't bloody well afford them and it's not my job to pay for some selfish bastards yuman fucking rights. "

Not everyone who has children claims tax credits,rich people could be having 4,5 or 20 children. That won't help the population rise will it.

Up to the word discovered was off a BBC article about baby boxes. After that was me. I'm wondering what women will do if they accidentally get pregnant with a 3rd or more child if they claim credits for their children.

Oh! I understand now. Sorry I read that wrong

Anyway, yeah I don't really know about that. I will stay out of the benefits debate as I always get told to go back to my country when I state an opinion on it.

I was speaking more to the population crisis as a generalized concept.

-Courtney"

I went off on a tangent when someone mentioned tax credits ,sorry

How is this country crowded, u only have to go on the motorway to see hw much spare arable land there is available.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"How is this country crowded, u only have to go on the motorway to see hw much spare arable land there is available."

Yep, can sure build right next to motorways... but what about the restrictions on people who would live there? For example, no firework displays or anything else that may distract motorists and cause accidents?

By *aul_the_nudistMan  over a year ago

WREXHAM

Plenty of space yet.

Fancy living on a mountain? "

I do already

Will Muslims take over the world by having large families? (A kid told me that was the plan when I worked in a school.) Will disease decimate the population time and again to keep numbers down? "

Regardless of yours or my or anybody's ethics.... Life will find a way

Will Muslims take over the world by having large families? (A kid told me that was the plan when I worked in a school.) Will disease decimate the population time and again to keep numbers down? .

Regardless of yours or my or anybody's ethics.... Life will find a way"

Can't wait for the population boom

More people to meet and play with

"How is this country crowded, u only have to go on the motorway to see hw much spare arable land there is available."

Arable comes from the Latin for able to be ploughed...

That's farming land, it's either one or the other!

You want food or you want houses!.

Lots of people will say... Oh don't worry we can import food!

I say look at those people fleeing their country because they can't import food, like Syria, Afghanistan, Eritrea, Vietnam!

This notion that we are rich and will always have food is complete bollocks!

Actually you can look at Nepal, they had a terrible earthquake last year, and for one reason or another they've got problems importing, petrol.

Now the average monthly wage in Nepal is about £170....

1 litre of petrol is selling for about £4... That's the equivalent of £14 a litre here ..£14 a litre is laughable....

You wait till you ain't got none and see how much your willing to pay!

Plenty of space yet.

Fancy living on a mountain?

I do already "

No you live on a hill!

It's like People who live in a city saying... Wow there's massive green space all over the place... How can we be full,,, that's racist to even say it!

Nay Mr wilks, people have been saying were full for many a year so it must be bollocks....

No you just really really don't grasp reality!

100% food Sustainability was last seen in 1890... Since then we've been an importer... More imports of food, more houses you can fit on farm land.

Technology will save us apparently!... The people who claim this have neither any understanding of technology or any understanding of the problem facing us!

By *accaMan  over a year ago

leicester

Plenty of space yet. "

This a fact, all our towns and cities are full and bursting, there's an awful lot of other space tho... As it stands the UK can cope with the population booms and migration, as can a vast amount Europe.. But I still feel that Australia have it right with the imagination policy, strict and harsh. That's is how we should be as an island.

By *anchestercubMan  over a year ago

manchester & NI

Yes, lets have a population decrease, I've love to see how the baby boomers get their pensions that way.

By *anchestercubMan  over a year ago

manchester & NI

Plenty of space yet.

This a fact, all our towns and cities are full and bursting, there's an awful lot of other space tho... As it stands the UK can cope with the population booms and migration, as can a vast amount Europe.. But I still feel that Australia have it right with the imagination policy, strict and harsh. That's is how we should be as an island. "

Because for over 30 years local councils built communities, new towns and neighbourhoods with their own schools and facilities. Private sector house building would add on to those new communities.

But now we have no new communities being built, we just have roads and streets built on to existing communities, over and over again.

» Add a new message to this topic