FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Charging non EU citizens for emergency medical care and use of an ambulance

Charging non EU citizens for emergency medical care and use of an ambulance

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *he tactile technician OP   Man  over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

or as the BBC reported it..."Foreigners" damn johnny foreigner again.

So how in practise is this crazy idea of James Hunt going to work, medical professionals have a duty of care first and foremost, not to be swiping debit and credit cards or checking EHC's. And who's going to pay the bill when it arrives anyhow? We already have millions and millions of pounds tied up in unpaid debt by people from around the world...

What do you reckon the solution is or do you care, maybe as a tax payer you're happy to contribute to paying for visitors from around the world who through no fault of their own; on the whole, find themselves needing emergency medical treatment.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Nearly all that end up in A&E go through a triage process, where you're interviewed, not only about your injuries, but also you give your personal details, NHS number etc.

So at this point it is likely that you'll discover who is an EU citizen and entitled to free health care or not

If you are in the UK, then it's likely that you'll have travel insurance, just as if you or I were to go abroad.

Have you never seen any of the American medical dramas ?

The first thing they do is frisk you for a wallet

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Foreign people already owe millions in unpaid NHS fees and probably will continue to do so.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I once accompanied a non EU citizen to a gp surgery where the receptionist politely but firmly refused to make her an appointment. Emergency medicine is different of course but I think we should at least try, other countries have systems for charging in place is it wildly ridiculous to suggest we have a look at how they do it?

By *r OreoMan  over a year ago

Croydon

I work for a large hospital that's currently in deficit.

If we get to keep the income from treatment then I'm all for it as it will help to provide income (no idea how much) that the hospital can definitely use.

By *aneandpaulCouple  over a year ago

cleveleys

You fall ill abroad with out insurance see what happens to you

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I work for a large hospital that's currently in deficit.

If we get to keep the income from treatment then I'm all for it as it will help to provide income (no idea how much) that the hospital can definitely use."

I suppose it depends on how much the system to administer it all would cost to set up and run as compared to income that could realistically be achieved as to whether it's feasible or not.

If we get to keep the income from treatment then I'm all for it as it will help to provide income (no idea how much) that the hospital can definitely use.

I suppose it depends on how much the system to administer it all would cost to set up and run as compared to income that could realistically be achieved as to whether it's feasible or not."

I'm sure the insurance companies would be more than willing to assist

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I suppose it depends on how much the system to administer it all would cost to set up and run as compared to income that could realistically be achieved as to whether it's feasible or not.

I'm sure the insurance companies would be more than willing to assist "

Ain't that the truth. I hadn't thought of it that way.

I'm sure the insurance companies would be more than willing to assist "

contract it out to Capita, they'll chase it as if their existance depended on it

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

How many lads, pissed and without insurance, rock up at hospitals in popular tourist areas abroad?

I've paid fee's abroad and had insurance for my health when been abroad. I think it could be a huge deterrence for a lot of those seeking to live and work illegally here

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

Isn't the actual change that they are considering withholding non-emergency treatment until payment is made up-front?

The Nhs has been charging for years.

(As have places like Sainsburys, it's actually not that complicated )

Mr ddc

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Everybody should be able to prove that they have sufficient health cover, either through private insurance or by reciprocal agreement, when entering the country.

If not they should be forced to take out emergency cover there and then. If they refuse then straight to the departure gate.

It's the NATIONAL health service not an INTERNATIONAL one.

How much of an issue is it? EU citizens are entitled to health care and as Lickety said many and arguably most non EU citizens will have insurance.

The NHS is underfunded and struggling to cope but let's blame those pesky foreigners

My friend worked in a maternity ward for a number of years. She said women would come over on a 3 month visas to have their babies in our hospitals because the care was free. There is now a sign on the labour ward doors saying if you're not entitled to NHS treatment you can bugger right off. Or words to that effect. I had a conversation with a woman saying that the NHS wanted to charge her daughter £15,000. To have her baby here so she's going home to have it.

"How much of an issue is it? EU citizens are entitled to health care and as Lickety said many and arguably most non EU citizens will have insurance.

The NHS is underfunded and struggling to cope but let's blame those pesky foreigners

"

Doesn't look like anyone is blaming them but if some aren't paying for something everyone else does then that isn't fair is it?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

contract it out to Capita, they'll chase it as if their existance depended on it

"

As that is their business it kind of does really lol

As that is their business it kind of does really lol "

Yes! as much as I am no fan of Capita, I think in circumstances where they are good at something like this, then let them have the contract and reward them well for every pound they recover

» Add a new message to this topic