FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Counselling training.

Counselling training.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *verReadyAndMinxy OP   Couple  over a year ago

Blackpool

I know to some people this isn't the appropriate site to talk about this, but then this is The Lounge section where anything can be discussed.

I've just finished a level 2 counselling course hoping to enrol for level 3 in September.

Has anyone else done this training and got any tips or advice on the course and also regarding relevant voluntary work which I could do while waiting til enrolment.

TIA

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Non directive counseling may be offered by a load of support services, including charities. They'll usually have their own training, covering specifics of their services but you'd likely find it useful. It may or may not count towards your course requirements - if it's just you wanting some experience, then seek out bodies that have good values and do great things for the community etc.

I've done counseling for years but prefer a more directive approach. That's not ethically aligned with counseling though. So I should say that I used to do it.

Consider reading about some different therapy styles - not to pursue them, as your training is established and planned - but I think it's really valuable to understand how they differ.

Good luck!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You should consider a career as psychiatric nurse these are skills that are easily transferable and there's loads of opportunity a once you've finished your training and you get bursary to do course

Blackpool

Thankyou for your response. Was hoping to eventually become self employed.

Maybe for children, or parents with SEN children like myself or in the suicide field. A lot of places I've emailed won't take you til level 4

X

"Non directive counseling may be offered by a load of support services, including charities. They'll usually have their own training, covering specifics of their services but you'd likely find it useful. It may or may not count towards your course requirements - if it's just you wanting some experience, then seek out bodies that have good values and do great things for the community etc.

I've done counseling for years but prefer a more directive approach. That's not ethically aligned with counseling though. So I should say that I used to do it.

Consider reading about some different therapy styles - not to pursue them, as your training is established and planned - but I think it's really valuable to understand how they differ.

Good luck! "

Blackpool

"You should consider a career as psychiatric nurse these are skills that are easily transferable and there's loads of opportunity a once you've finished your training and you get bursary to do course"

Hmmm now there's a thought..... Thankyou!

By *ripleXrateDWoman  over a year ago

Ayrshire

My bf starts this in February. He's sleeping so I can't ask him but he was told to look at the authority body as they normal can star you in the right direction.

He's also been given the contact details for two charities based on glasgow that will pay for his education if he volunteers for them.

There will probably be something similar down your way.

Xxx

I need counselling does that count

By *moothies.Couple  over a year ago

Woodthorpe

"I need counselling does that count "

You need tying up so you stop playing the fiddle at this time of day

"I need counselling does that count

You need tying up so you stop playing the fiddle at this time of day "

hey I'm always on the fiddle and tying up doesn't sound all bad

Blackpool

"My bf starts this in February. He's sleeping so I can't ask him but he was told to look at the authority body as they normal can star you in the right direction.

He's also been given the contact details for two charities based on glasgow that will pay for his education if he volunteers for them.

Xxx"

Ah thanks for the posting Princess. If you can find out which charities please, I'd be interested. Funding was another issue for me as level 3 will be at least £850.

Happy St. Andrew's day btw xx

Blackpool

You need tying up so you stop playing the fiddle at this time of day hey I'm always on the fiddle and tying up doesn't sound all bad "

Funny how many ppl say that to me when I tell them what I'm studying

Xx

You need tying up so you stop playing the fiddle at this time of day hey I'm always on the fiddle and tying up doesn't sound all bad

Funny how many ppl say that to me when I tell them what I'm studying

Xx"

hey I've often toyed with the idea of being a psychologist xx

By *ripleXrateDWoman  over a year ago

Ayrshire

"My bf starts this in February. He's sleeping so I can't ask him but he was told to look at the authority body as they normal can star you in the right direction.

Xxx

Ah thanks for the posting Princess. If you can find out which charities please, I'd be interested. Funding was another issue for me as level 3 will be at least £850.

Happy St. Andrew's day btw xx"

He said firstly contact the bacp and doeak to them. Cruise are a breavment charity there in England and will pay it for you. He can't remember the other one but it was relashonship and sex councilling and they are based in England as well. Hope that helps

Xxxxx

Blackpool

Xxx

Happy St. Andrew's day btw xx

He said firstly contact the bacp and doeak to them. Cruise are a breavment charity there in England and will pay it for you. He can't remember the other one but it was relashonship and sex councilling and they are based in England as well. Hope that helps

Xxxxx"

Ahhh thanks very much! Xxxx

I know this won't be received as it's meant to be but it's true. I`ve just finished some research with a 92 year old Polish man. At age 15 his house was surrounded by Russian soldiers - his parents were marched off never to be seen again and he was conscripted into the Russian army. At 17 - he was rescued by the Brits - he subsequently took part in the D Day landings - suffered a nasty bullet wound but carried on regardless. In al, he reckons he's had to kill around 20 people during warfare and witnessed and suffered from various forms of torture. He's an intelligent and capable man with all his faculties - and has never had a minute's counselling (ask him his views on counselling and he swears very loudly many times) - says it all really.

"I know this won't be received as it's meant to be but it's true. I`ve just finished some research with a 92 year old Polish man. At age 15 his house was surrounded by Russian soldiers - his parents were marched off never to be seen again and he was conscripted into the Russian army. At 17 - he was rescued by the Brits - he subsequently took part in the D Day landings - suffered a nasty bullet wound but carried on regardless. In al, he reckons he's had to kill around 20 people during warfare and witnessed and suffered from various forms of torture. He's an intelligent and capable man with all his faculties - and has never had a minute's counselling (ask him his views on counselling and he swears very loudly many times) - says it all really. "
and some people smoke twenty a day and live to ninety so what if what you say is true why did psychiatric hospital fill during and just after both great wars

Blackpool

"You should consider a career as psychiatric nurse these are skills that are easily transferable and there's loads of opportunity a once you've finished your training and you get bursary to do course"

You seem to have to do a proper nursing degree before training a few more years in psychiatry? :-/

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I know this won't be received as it's meant to be but it's true. I`ve just finished some research with a 92 year old Polish man. At age 15 his house was surrounded by Russian soldiers - his parents were marched off never to be seen again and he was conscripted into the Russian army. At 17 - he was rescued by the Brits - he subsequently took part in the D Day landings - suffered a nasty bullet wound but carried on regardless. In al, he reckons he's had to kill around 20 people during warfare and witnessed and suffered from various forms of torture. He's an intelligent and capable man with all his faculties - and has never had a minute's counselling (ask him his views on counselling and he swears very loudly many times) - says it all really. "

no it doesn't even though your being obtuse in what you really think and to be honest all it says is you have shown your ignorance ..

it says that for him and others who have been through traumatic events in their lives that they have coped, others with similar experiences fare less better and the levels of alcoholism and mental health issue's post military conflict bear that out..

personally being ex military and blue light services iv'e dealt with stuff as part of those roles and i'm fine as will thousands of others with similar backgrounds and experiences (one incident i could recount in the most minute detail even though it occurred 25 years ago but thats fine)

i have stood at the grave of a former colleague and can recall several strong professional men who took their own lives, the commonality was sadly that they never talked about what was their issue..

they bottled it up..

if people require counselling and it helps them in whatever their current issue is then that's fine and is preferable to being on medication, self medicating with drink and drugs, domestic violence and or self harm and suicide..

it says it all really that people still lack empathy or have any idea of what others may be going through..

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

What does it say exactly?

» Add a new message to this topic