FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Feb 29th Explained....

Feb 29th Explained....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Can anyone explain to me how it all actually works please?

I know Fab is filled with smart cookies, and yes I also am aware of the tinterweb!...buyout. .. how do we end up with this whole extra day? How did the medieval calculate their days etc?

What would actually happen if today was the first of March instead?

Would that make Christmas on December the 24th?

Would we be reduced to anarchy? ?

Do I have too much time on my hands? Do You care?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Buyout should read but! Fucking autocarrot!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Because the earth takes 365 1/4 (ish) days for the earth to go round the sun. To keep things predictable we add those quarters up and count it as a day when we have a full one.

We add that day into the shortest month because that's just being fair and playing nice

By *rcticFoxxxWoman  over a year ago

Hereabouts

All I know is that there's roughly 365.25 days in a year and the extra day is added every 4 years to fill the gap.

I think - and I could be entirely wrong - that some smart person realised that the year wasn't lining up with the seasons or something and calculated that there's an extra bit to the year. I remember being told that and thinking that they ended up skipping a few months on the calendar to make up for all the years that should have been leap year days and how I'd be majorly pissed off if my birthday got cancelled that year because it was skipped!

we need a leap year in order for our modern day calendar to keep in alignment with the earths revolutions around the sun

"Because the earth takes 365 1/4 (ish) days for the earth to go round the sun. To keep things predictable we add those quarters up and count it as a day when we have a full one.

We add that day into the shortest month because that's just being fair and playing nice "

Yes but I still don't get it- I must be dumb. I understand the quantity of days but that quarter of a day the first year, half a day the second year, three-quarters of a day the third year goes unnoticed in terms of day/ night length- How??

"All I know is that there's roughly 365.25 days in a year and the extra day is added every 4 years to fill the gap.

I think - and I could be entirely wrong - that some smart person realised that the year wasn't lining up with the seasons or something and calculated that there's an extra bit to the year. I remember being told that and thinking that they ended up skipping a few months on the calendar to make up for all the years that should have been leap year days and how I'd be majorly pissed off if my birthday got cancelled that year because it was skipped! "

Ooo When? When did "They" do that?

Fascinating!

And who were "They"?

Gregorian monks?

"we need a leap year in order for our modern day calendar to keep in alignment with the earths revolutions around the sun"

"Because the earth takes 365 1/4 (ish) days for the earth to go round the sun. To keep things predictable we add those quarters up and count it as a day when we have a full one.

We add that day into the shortest month because that's just being fair and playing nice

Yes but I still don't get it- I must be dumb. I understand the quantity of days but that quarter of a day the first year, half a day the second year, three-quarters of a day the third year goes unnoticed in terms of day/ night length- How?? "

Because a 'day' is the time it takes the Earth to make one full rotation, and a 'year' is how long it takes the earth to make one full orbit around the sun.

Yes but I still don't get it- I must be dumb. I understand the quantity of days but that quarter of a day the first year, half a day the second year, three-quarters of a day the third year goes unnoticed in terms of day/ night length- How??

Because a 'day' is the time it takes the Earth to make one full rotation, and a 'year' is how long it takes the earth to make one full orbit around the sun."

Thankyou- I am indeed dumb!

The rotation of our lump of rock (24 hours ish) is how we measure time, because that is out self-centred viewpoint: the sun rises and sets around me so that is my basis of time.

The amount of time it takes our lump of rock to circle the sun isn't neatly linked to our viewpoint and measure of time, so we need to jiggle it a bit to make it fit.

A wizard did it.

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

Eventually the seasons would be out of sync with the months we expect them in. It would take a a fair few extra days to knock Christmas till it arrived in what is now June but that's what would happen.

By *rcticFoxxxWoman  over a year ago

Hereabouts

"All I know is that there's roughly 365.25 days in a year and the extra day is added every 4 years to fill the gap.

I think - and I could be entirely wrong - that some smart person realised that the year wasn't lining up with the seasons or something and calculated that there's an extra bit to the year. I remember being told that and thinking that they ended up skipping a few months on the calendar to make up for all the years that should have been leap year days and how I'd be majorly pissed off if my birthday got cancelled that year because it was skipped!

Ooo When? When did "They" do that?

Fascinating!

And who were "They"?

Gregorian monks?"

The magnificent They that nobody knows exactly who they are the smart person/people that figured it out

By *obwithkiltMan  over a year ago

Belton

But I thought we were on a load of elephants standing on top of a turtle floating in space?

"But I thought we were on a load of elephants standing on top of a turtle floating in space? "

ook

Belton

"But I thought we were on a load of elephants standing on top of a turtle floating in space?

ook"

Indeed!

Belton

"But I thought we were on a load of elephants standing on top of a turtle floating in space?

ook"

Indeed!

By *eMontresMan  over a year ago

Halesowen

The explanation has been covered adequately, but consider this:-

If you're paid monthly, typically your annual salary is dived by 12 and paid each month.

This year, you will have worked one extra day for that salary without any extra recompense.

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

Because a 'day' is the time it takes the Earth to make one full rotation, and a 'year' is how long it takes the earth to make one full orbit around the sun.

Thankyou- I am indeed dumb! "

But you're good to look at.

By *igeiaWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

"The explanation has been covered adequately, but consider this:-

If you're paid monthly, typically your annual salary is dived by 12 and paid each month.

This year, you will have worked one extra day for that salary without any extra recompense."

So, if I lose a day's pay for being on strike for a day should I try and claim it back? I may just try it...

"The explanation has been covered adequately, but consider this:-

This year, you will have worked one extra day for that salary without any extra recompense."

However an accountant would (probably) argue that due to normalisation you have been paid an extra 0.33 days for each of the previous 3 years ;o)

Always hated being on nights when the clocks went back.

It goes back to romantic times and middle earth and to do with swapping from the old system to the one we have now in Romania times the 29th was deemed a tits out day but with communication being so long they decided tits out day would be every four years so all the roman empire would have plenty of time to get them out and as it's mid winter guys like to see nipples nice n hard ready to burst out

Yes but I still don't get it- I must be dumb. I understand the quantity of days but that quarter of a day the first year, half a day the second year, three-quarters of a day the third year goes unnoticed in terms of day/ night length- How?? "

if we didnt do it, in time the seasons wouldn't match the date. The current calendar doesn't exactly match the time it takes for the earth to go round the sun so the calenar needs to be adjusted.. Like a clock that runs too slow,

"But I thought we were on a load of elephants standing on top of a turtle floating in space? "

On a brighter note, anyone who has an annual salary will have worked the entire day for free (possibly)

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Dunno but technically I just worked the day for free!

On a brighter note, anyone who has an annual salary will have worked the entire day for free (possibly)"

nope.. They got paid for a quarter day per year for nothing.. So payback time..

» Add a new message to this topic