FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > I think I have OCD

I think I have OCD

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

It really frustrates me if I have unread mail in my inbox. I often have to clear just to make it look better. Anyone else have any weird ocd habits

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Yes but people think I'm weird when I tell them about it.

Clearing your inbox is just being tidy.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"It really frustrates me if I have unread mail in my inbox. I often have to clear just to make it look better. Anyone else have any weird ocd habits "

Come to work with me tomorrow I'll show you people with OCD

I wash my hands about 30 times a day I don't have OCD I just like washing my hands

Hahaha I'm working with ocd myself tomorrow

By *negentMan  over a year ago

kirkby

In the olden days it was called being organised and tidy.

"In the olden days it was called being organised and tidy."

OAT then

I have CDO. It's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order, just like they should be!

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

Let me just organise my sock draw and I'll join in.

By *iss_Samantha_LovecockTV/TS  over a year ago

bmth /poole sometimes blandford

i wont touch the door handles in public loos for obvious reasons dont really think thats weird tho

I never touch handrails on public staircases. I put toilet paper on public toilet seats to sit on.

Not really. I do tend to be a bit anal tiding the straps on my bags and tail packs

But generaly on the first time after that im like meh fuck it and everything gets more untidy

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"It really frustrates me if I have unread mail in my inbox. I often have to clear just to make it look better. Anyone else have any weird ocd habits "

Pfft.

Amateur.

Come back when you've spent time wondering how easy it would be to post to the threads in the forum in such a way that in the summary list they appear alphabetically...

Mr ddc

I used to work with a man who had OCD...

I am sure if you had it OP, keeping your inbox tidy would be the least of your worries

I have a neighbour who is.He washes his car daily sometimes twice.

"I never touch handrails on public staircases. I put toilet paper on public toilet seats to sit on. "

Paper on toilet seats is just normal. And I'm sure handrails are as dirty as toilet seats.

Same as money.

I don't, but I'm still weird

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

I have big roll cab tool chests and it really annoys me if something isn't in its right place and wiped after its used. Is that ocd I think it's just so I can find them again and looking after them but my son recons I'm fanatical. He even calls them my toys

"I have big roll cab tool chests and it really annoys me if something isn't in its right place and wiped after its used. Is that ocd I think it's just so I can find them again and looking after them but my son recons I'm fanatical. He even calls them my toys "

Nope, just a regular bloke looking after his tools. your son will prob do the same when he has to spend a fortune on his own

By *vbride1963TV/TS  over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

Is it someone who just talks about crossdressing

Manchester

"I have big roll cab tool chests and it really annoys me if something isn't in its right place and wiped after its used. Is that ocd I think it's just so I can find them again and looking after them but my son recons I'm fanatical. He even calls them my toys

Nope, just a regular bloke looking after his tools. your son will prob do the same when he has to spend a fortune on his own"

Na why would he bother he just dumps his car at mine and asks when it will be ready or what he can have next

"I have big roll cab tool chests and it really annoys me if something isn't in its right place and wiped after its used. Is that ocd I think it's just so I can find them again and looking after them but my son recons I'm fanatical. He even calls them my toys

Nope, just a regular bloke looking after his tools. your son will prob do the same when he has to spend a fortune on his own

Na why would he bother he just dumps his car at mine and asks when it will be ready or what he can have next "

The New generation, no appreciation. Blame it on his parents

"I used to work with a man who had OCD...

I am sure if you had it OP, keeping your inbox tidy would be the least of your worries"

^^^ this

My feet are my OCD. I never wear socks for over 4 hours, i never wear the same shoes/trainers two days in a row

As I've actually been diagnosed with OCD, and at times it can be incredibly stressful and upsetting, it irritates me when people make light of it. There's a BIG difference between having painful inclinations toward certain habits, and occasional personal quirks.

"As I've actually been diagnosed with OCD, and at times it can be incredibly stressful and upsetting, it irritates me when people make light of it. There's a BIG difference between having painful inclinations toward certain habits, and occasional personal quirks."

It irritates me too. Especially "I'm a little OCD about xxxx"

It appears to be the mental illness of choice for ridicule.

"As I've actually been diagnosed with OCD, and at times it can be incredibly stressful and upsetting, it irritates me when people make light of it. There's a BIG difference between having painful inclinations toward certain habits, and occasional personal quirks.

It appears to be the mental illness of choice for ridicule. "

I wouldn't say people ridicule it, they just take it lightly, which in turn makes light of what can be a very seriously problem. Every time I leave the house, I HAVE to run through my security routine several times, and can get stuck in a loop if I don't force myself to snap out of it.

By *asokittyWoman  over a year ago

Nr Worksop

"It really frustrates me if I have unread mail in my inbox. I often have to clear just to make it look better. Anyone else have any weird ocd habits

I wash my hands about 30 times a day I don't have OCD I just like washing my hands "

"As I've actually been diagnosed with OCD, and at times it can be incredibly stressful and upsetting, it irritates me when people make light of it. There's a BIG difference between having painful inclinations toward certain habits, and occasional personal quirks.

I wouldn't say people ridicule it, they just take it lightly, which in turn makes light of what can be a very seriously problem. Every time I leave the house, I HAVE to run through my security routine several times, and can get stuck in a loop if I don't force myself to snap out of it."

Sometimes it's ridicule, sometimes it's simple ignorance. Either way it irritates me.

Nr Worksop

[Removed by poster at 28/05/16 23:42:56]

I'm really OCD, won't touch doors where others may of touched, everything lined up, the list is very long and causes a lot of problems in work. Lol

Nr Worksop

Equally with people who have had a shitty day and say they're depressed

"Equally with people who have had a shitty day and say they're depressed"

"Equally with people who have had a shitty day and say they're depressed

"

Also true, sadly, I suffer from a triple whammy of clinical depression, OCD and Aspergers syndrome, and the problems caused by the issues themselves are only half the battle, the other half is dealing with the shit people give you day to day, because they don't understand the way you are, or why.

i run an ocd therapy session every sunday morning ... i dont have ocd but think its good to invite them round your house once a week

"It really frustrates me if I have unread mail in my inbox. I often have to clear just to make it look better. Anyone else have any weird ocd habits

I wash my hands about 30 times a day I don't have OCD I just like washing my hands "

Make sure you use moisturiser after.

Or very mild soap, washifn that much will take all the oils and fats off your skin and damage it.

i care for people with various needs and have helped a chap so engulfed with ocd he is in a care home - life is very disciplined for him and hard to control - i think everybody has a little part of them that is controlled but for the most we can cope

Manchester

I wouldn't say people ridicule it, they just take it lightly, which in turn makes light of what can be a very seriously problem. Every time I leave the house, I HAVE to run through my security routine several times, and can get stuck in a loop if I don't force myself to snap out of it.

Sometimes it's ridicule, sometimes it's simple ignorance. Either way it irritates me. "

In my case ignorance and on this thread a little flippant and I really should know better because it winds me up to boiling point when people say they are dyslexic and are so obviously not. I don't mean all by any means but having to deal with it all my life I know the difference belive me. I can tell if somebody has it to my extent just by there hand writing and comments like use a spell check just take the piss for me. The concentration it takes for me to read text on a white background is amence and if I do it to long ends with a migraine. Words and letters quite literally dance around the page I'd say it's funny if it wasn't so frustrating

Sometimes it's ridicule, sometimes it's simple ignorance. Either way it irritates me. "

it irritates me too...I have a good friend who has it so I know that people tend to use it as a cover all excuse for any kind of quirk...

also my son, who has adhd and asd is also showing traits of it, which causes me no end of problems...

Sometimes it's ridicule, sometimes it's simple ignorance. Either way it irritates me.

In my case ignorance and on this thread a little flippant and I really should know better because it winds me up to boiling point when people say they are dyslexic and are so obviously not. I don't mean all by any means but having to deal with it all my life I know the difference belive me. I can tell if somebody has it to my extent just by there hand writing and comments like use a spell check just take the piss for me. The concentration it takes for me to read text on a white background is amence and if I do it to long ends with a migraine. Words and letters quite literally dance around the page I'd say it's funny if it wasn't so frustrating "

i get like that over people saying they are depressed - when they are maybe just a bit sad or down for a few days or even less - depression can swallow you up and never totally leave you - like a lot of things you learn to live with xxxx

it irritates me too...I have a good friend who has it so I know that people tend to use it as a cover all excuse for any kind of quirk...

also my son, who has adhd and asd is also showing traits of it, which causes me no end of problems..."

I think part of it is the vast majority of people have never met somoen with it.

Thier only experence of it is the odd tv character who has it and the colloquial "oh im ocd about X" usage

Because its so rare it's not treated the same as the conditions most of us have seen people with

also my son, who has adhd and asd is also showing traits of it, which causes me no end of problems..."

good to know I'm not the only one. Was beginning to think I was being a cranky arse

also my son, who has adhd and asd is also showing traits of it, which causes me no end of problems...

good to know I'm not the only one. Was beginning to think I was being a cranky arse "

no way! but I do think that posts such as this aren't meant to have a dig at others, its just a 'thing' people say..

In my case ignorance and on this thread a little flippant and I really should know better because it winds me up to boiling point when people say they are dyslexic and are so obviously not. I don't mean all by any means but having to deal with it all my life I know the difference belive me. I can tell if somebody has it to my extent just by there hand writing and comments like use a spell check just take the piss for me. The concentration it takes for me to read text on a white background is amence and if I do it to long ends with a migraine. Words and letters quite literally dance around the page I'd say it's funny if it wasn't so frustrating "

yet you can manage on the forum with a white back ground and not one mistake

I think part of it is the vast majority of people have never met somoen with it.

Thier only experence of it is the odd tv character who has it and the colloquial "oh im ocd about X" usage

Because its so rare it's not treated the same as the conditions most of us have seen people with"

It's not that rare. It just doesn't get the same publicity as others.

good to know I'm not the only one. Was beginning to think I was being a cranky arse

no way! but I do think that posts such as this aren't meant to have a dig at others, its just a 'thing' people say.. "

Ya I know that, but as fire blade pointed out above, even flippant remarks are annoying.

In my case ignorance and on this thread a little flippant and I really should know better because it winds me up to boiling point when people say they are dyslexic and are so obviously not. I don't mean all by any means but having to deal with it all my life I know the difference belive me. I can tell if somebody has it to my extent just by there hand writing and comments like use a spell check just take the piss for me. The concentration it takes for me to read text on a white background is amence and if I do it to long ends with a migraine. Words and letters quite literally dance around the page I'd say it's funny if it wasn't so frustrating

yet you can manage on the forum with a white back ground and not one mistake "

You realise you can get elenmyer screen apps for your phone right?

And can go back and reread or keep frequent words you have difficulties with on your clip board.

Theres some very good app support for helping with dyslexia.

Manchester

yet you can manage on the forum with a white back ground and not one mistake "

Yes I no I'm good aren't I but it takes a lot of work and I'm writing not reading. I know what it is I need to do and over 47 years I've trained my brain how to get around it. Reading a whole book is still however impossible even with tinting films

Because its so rare it's not treated the same as the conditions most of us have seen people with

It's not that rare. It just doesn't get the same publicity as others. "

It is pretty rare in the noticable cases for people in the general public.

So much so as i said most people will have never met somone they notice has it

Yes I no I'm good aren't I but it takes a lot of work and I'm writing not reading. I know what it is I need to do and over 47 years I've trained my brain how to get around it. Reading a whole book is still however impossible even with tinting films"

Try the Irlen app.

Haha just realised my chemistry background shows through that i keep spelling it erlenmyer

So much so as i said most people will have never met somone they notice has it"

Oh you mean people won't be aware by looking at you or being in your company that you have it?

People more than likely wouldn't know if someone had depression from being in their company either, so I respectfully disagree with your point.

People with OCD are good at hiding it.

Manchester

And can go back and reread or keep frequent words you have difficulties with on your clip board.

"

I know all that but I've become very stubborn and bloody minded over it. You have to understand this wasn't understood when I was at school and by the time I left just about able to spell my name i believed what I was told every hour of every day that I was stupid and I'd never be anything. I proved that wrong in fact I abliterated it. I know I'm understood and I've worked to get this way so I don't see it as my problem any more. I also hope others with the same disablity see me and what I can now do despite it and do the same

Manchester

Don't want to quote the whole post again but the comment about not making a single mistake in what I wrote is that right

"Don't want to quote the whole post again but the comment about not making a single mistake in what I wrote is that right "

did you find one ?

Oh you mean people won't be aware by looking at you or being in your company that you have it?

People more than likely wouldn't know if someone had depression from being in their company either, so I respectfully disagree with your point.

People with OCD are good at hiding it. "

No but people will almost certainly knoe somone with depresion given it affects between 30-40% of the population at any one time.

What % of the population would you say has ocd?

Or to put it simply outside any specialist suport groups or medical facilities how many people do you know with it

By *llywalesWoman  over a year ago

Depends on the severity? I live with mine .. It makes me who I am. ... but then I can control it to a point. ..

Manchester

"Don't want to quote the whole post again but the comment about not making a single mistake in what I wrote is that right

did you find one ? "

I wouldn't necessarily see it that's why I asked I just expected to have

Nope...not ocd in the slightest...at all...is it suddenly cool to have something against the norm?....there seem to be a lot that use the forum...

I know all that but I've become very stubborn and bloody minded over it. You have to understand this wasn't understood when I was at school and by the time I left just about able to spell my name i believed what I was told every hour of every day that I was stupid and I'd never be anything. I proved that wrong in fact I abliterated it. I know I'm understood and I've worked to get this way so I don't see it as my problem any more. I also hope others with the same disablity see me and what I can now do despite it and do the same"

If it helps i was considered the smartest in my year (in fact during my time at school the only person considered smarter was my older brother).

I was considered incredibly lazy due to my poor performance in coursework (mainly the fact i never did it till the last day in the class room not at home) i could answer any questiom you posed to me and on average score above 90% on any exam given.

I never did home work but the teachers stopped caring after trying to show me up by making me do it on the board and i could do it in front of the class every time.

Went to uni where a lot of it was writing based and just couldn't cope my own anxiety about writing meant i just couldnt cope with it all and panicked and quit.

Its only when i went to collage on a vocational course where dyslexia testing was mandatory (because its common in that environment ) that it was found out.

The test where split visual/auditory iirc and i score practically zero on the auditory part , in one test i literally couldnt do it at all felt like my brain had froze.

They said that mt high scoring on rhe visual side let me use coping mechanisms that let me hide it well.

It meant that through my apprenticeship i was exempted from writing up assessments and instead was visually and verbally assessed on the job which made life so much easier.

It does irk me that for the want kf a standard test given say at the start of high school i could have led a totally differnt life if id gone to hni with the correct suport

One thign i find funny is my hand writing though i miss letters our of words frequently but i leave exactly the right sized gap for them.

Or more commonly i think sbout the next word i meed to write and end up writing it in thr middle of the word im currently writong.

So "hi I'm Alan and i like bacon"

Can come out as "hi I'm Al n and I libaconke bacon"

"Don't want to quote the whole post again but the comment about not making a single mistake in what I wrote is that right

did you find one ?

I wouldn't necessarily see it that's why I asked I just expected to have"

not that i noticed but then again even predictor text hasnt got a clue what am trying to spell half the time

No but people will almost certainly knoe somone with depresion given it affects between 30-40% of the population at any one time.

Or to put it simply outside any specialist suport groups or medical facilities how many people do you know with it"

30-40% where did you get those stats? The WHO estimates it to be 350 million.

From what I've found OCD effects 2% of the population.

did you find one ?

I wouldn't necessarily see it that's why I asked I just expected to have"

I did

Or to put it simply outside any specialist suport groups or medical facilities how many people do you know with it

From what I've found OCD effects 2% of the population. "

Sorry my bad confused life time stats with one time stats.

But as it stands aprox 30-40% of thr population will experence depresion

Manchester

did you find one ?

I did "

You did what ??

did you find one ?

I did

You did what ?? "

See mistakes

From what I've found OCD effects 2% of the population.

Sorry my bad confused life time stats with one time stats.

But as it stands aprox 30-40% of thr population will experence depresion "

What's the source?

Manchester

did you find one ?

I did

You did what ??

See mistakes "

Thank God for that I was really worried for a bit

By *angtidy42Couple  over a year ago

Redditch

I'm sorry you don't have OCD, because if you did then you would know it's CDO.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

Also true, sadly, I suffer from a triple whammy of clinical depression, OCD and Aspergers syndrome, and the problems caused by the issues themselves are only half the battle, the other half is dealing with the shit people give you day to day, because they don't understand the way you are, or why."

I disagree, I think the second half of the battle is learning to accept that people are treating you the same as they treat everyone else, but your conditions are causing you to misinterpret things and take them personally.

I think everyone also needs to realise that none of the conditions talked about on this thread are binary. Instead they are broad spectrum disorders, so you cannot say "I have this, you don't", just because someone manifests differently to you.

Also that humour is part of many people's coping mechanism, not them taking the piss out of an individual.

So, can we get back to the OCD jokes now? Or should I just go and put the herbs and spices back in alphabetical order? After weeks of Mrs ddc doing the cooking, the state of my larders are enough to give anyone depression...

Mr ddc

» Add a new message to this topic