FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Do you complain about bad service?

Do you complain about bad service?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Went out for a meal last night. They'd obviously over booked the restaurant or didn't have enough staff. Took forever for us to order drinks then ages for the food to arrive. After 1 hr I complained and got a free round of drinks, the food then instantly arrived too.

Normally I don't complain but I've decided I've had enough of crap service when you're paying a fortune for it. Do you complain or just accept its par for the course.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Went out for a meal last night. They'd obviously over booked the restaurant or didn't have enough staff. Took forever for us to order drinks then ages for the food to arrive. After 1 hr I complained and got a free round of drinks, the food then instantly arrived too.

Normally I don't complain but I've decided I've had enough of crap service when you're paying a fortune for it. Do you complain or just accept its par for the course. "

I try to give the staff the benefit of doubt, as I know things can get pretty busy etc.

But I guess there's a limit/threshold where you say enough is enough.

I usually just ask them nicely where my food/drink is but I've seen others go in with the aggro approach, which really doesn't help situations no matter how much you are paying.

In a restaurant? Only of it's very very very bad service, and I've never experienced service that's been so bad that I've had to complain.

I think I'm a bit lighter on complaining about service being a bit slow on bank holidays and other busy times as I've worked extensively in hospitality, including a very busy seafront bar, so I understand if it's a bit busy or manic.

"Went out for a meal last night. They'd obviously over booked the restaurant or didn't have enough staff. Took forever for us to order drinks then ages for the food to arrive. After 1 hr I complained and got a free round of drinks, the food then instantly arrived too.

Normally I don't complain but I've decided I've had enough of crap service when you're paying a fortune for it. Do you complain or just accept its par for the course.

I try to give the staff the benefit of doubt, as I know things can get pretty busy etc.

But I guess there's a limit/threshold where you say enough is enough.

I usually just ask them nicely where my food/drink is but I've seen others go in with the aggro approach, which really doesn't help situations no matter how much you are paying. "

I complain politely I should add. No swearing or being aggressive.

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

I moan about everything lol

Moaned at cinema why they didn't have the fully Range of ice cream, and why they didn't have full fat Coke in a bottle

By *ilmiss75Woman  over a year ago

Thornton

I do sometimes. All depends on what has happened. I never complain in order to get something in return tho, more of a feedback.

By *tephenBunChowMan  over a year ago

Haywards heath/Waterlooville

It's OK to complain just be polite about it.

Sometimes restaurants get overwhelmed for many reasons some beyond the waiters /waitresses control.

But if it is really bad don't tip. Then leave a review on TripAdvisor

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I'd have complained too. An hour is ridiculous if you've already booked.

"I'd have complained too. An hour is ridiculous if you've already booked. "

Yes we had booked so I just felt they'd crammed too many into the time slots.

"It's OK to complain just be polite about it.

Sometimes restaurants get overwhelmed for many reasons some beyond the waiters /waitresses control.

But if it is really bad don't tip. Then leave a review on TripAdvisor "

The waitress didn't leave the gratuity tab up on the card keypad so I think she knew. And did think I'll write a review. Equally I do good ones if I like somewhere.

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

I told the waitress I wanted to complain once, she looked sullen and brought a manager over. When I said that it was that manager that I wanted to complain about, her face lit up behind his back. She told us afterwards he was a complete pain in the arse to everyone

"I told the waitress I wanted to complain once, she looked sullen and brought a manager over. When I said that it was that manager that I wanted to complain about, her face lit up behind his back. She told us afterwards he was a complete pain in the arse to everyone "

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

[Removed by poster at 31/05/16 09:42:42]

"I told the waitress I wanted to complain once, she looked sullen and brought a manager over. When I said that it was that manager that I wanted to complain about, her face lit up behind his back. She told us afterwards he was a complete pain in the arse to everyone "

Oh, I've had a manager like that! (And there's lots of reviews on TA complaining about him )

Very rarely do I complain and service/food etc, being in that industry, I know how hard it can be, however on my birthday, some friends and I went out for a meal, booked the table in advance (not that we needed to) as when we got there it was dead quiet, we were seated abd asked what we would like to drink...only to be told they had no alcohol licence "for that day", strange and not a great start,but we settled for soft drinks cos we were hungry. Of to the all you can eat buffet we went, between, the cold, left over from lunch service food and thr greasy tasteless fresh cooked in front of me food, all of it was revolting.

we did complain, calmly I might add, but after 30mins of the manager arguing with us about how he can't let us not pay (which is what we had said to him) he eventually screamed at us..and I quote " go, get out, leave, don't pay, I will pay for it all"

surrfice to say we will never be going bag there again.

Poppy x

But if it is really bad don't tip. Then leave a review on TripAdvisor "

I would only leave a review on TripAdvisor if they didn't handle the complaint well. I have complained previously and it has been handled well and I leave happy overall with the service/meal then I wouldn't take it any further.

If it's handled badly then I take it further - whether that is TripAdvisor or contacting management /head office

By *ed LipstickWoman  over a year ago

Fucksville

I used to be a waitress when I was a lot younger. I'd never complain til after I'd finished my meal..... have seen firsthand what some staff do to your food if you send it back

"I used to be a waitress when I was a lot younger. I'd never complain til after I'd finished my meal..... have seen firsthand what some staff do to your food if you send it back

"

....tempted to ask what they do, but I'm not sure I'll like the amswers.

"Very rarely do I complain and service/food etc, being in that industry, I know how hard it can be, however on my birthday, some friends and I went out for a meal, booked the table in advance (not that we needed to) as when we got there it was dead quiet, we were seated abd asked what we would like to drink...only to be told they had no alcohol licence "for that day", strange and not a great start,but we settled for soft drinks cos we were hungry. Of to the all you can eat buffet we went, between, the cold, left over from lunch service food and thr greasy tasteless fresh cooked in front of me food, all of it was revolting.

we did complain, calmly I might add, but after 30mins of the manager arguing with us about how he can't let us not pay (which is what we had said to him) he eventually screamed at us..and I quote " go, get out, leave, don't pay, I will pay for it all"

Poppy x"

The "no alcohol licence for a day" sounds a bit odd. Sounds like they did something a bit naughty & had their licence revoked for a while.

Why wouldn't you complain? It's a service you pay for. We had dinner at the local gastro pub on Sunday. They took an hour to serve - they weren't overly busy. The food wasn't complicated. That we didn't mind. When our food came out they served it to another table who accepted. Waitress walked away. The 2 blokes ate some of the wedges. Fondled the food then took it back to the bar. The waitress arrived to our table a minute later with the same food. We promptly refused it. Vile. We waited another 20 minutes for it to be redone but were ever suspicious that it was probably half the same food as originally served. We won't go back. Complaining when there is a need isn't a bad thing. I do detest the people who complain just to get a freebie though.

But if it is really bad don't tip. Then leave a review on TripAdvisor

I would only leave a review on TripAdvisor if they didn't handle the complaint well. I have complained previously and it has been handled well and I leave happy overall with the service/meal then I wouldn't take it any further.

If it's handled badly then I take it further - whether that is TripAdvisor or contacting management /head office "

The waitress I complained about mainly as she was ours and not coming back to check we were topped up with drinks even. Didn't say sorry and didn't handle it well. I might look up if there are other recent reviews anyway. If there are I'll leave it.

I rarely complain to the waiting staff but the manager. I also take things into consideration. I never rant i explain in a nice way.

I rarely do but when i do its justified.

If its aomewhere we go often i would start by saying "we usually have a lovely meal but..

I always praise/compliment on good service.

"I used to be a waitress when I was a lot younger. I'd never complain til after I'd finished my meal..... have seen firsthand what some staff do to your food if you send it back

....tempted to ask what they do, but I'm not sure I'll like the amswers. "

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RvVdlg-sTo4

Don't fuck with the people who handle your food

Don't fuck with the people who handle your food "

Says vid unavail

Says vid unavail "

Oh

Go on YouTube and search for Waiting - Don't Fuck With The People Who Handle Your Food

"Very rarely do I complain and service/food etc, being in that industry, I know how hard it can be, however on my birthday, some friends and I went out for a meal, booked the table in advance (not that we needed to) as when we got there it was dead quiet, we were seated abd asked what we would like to drink...only to be told they had no alcohol licence "for that day", strange and not a great start,but we settled for soft drinks cos we were hungry. Of to the all you can eat buffet we went, between, the cold, left over from lunch service food and thr greasy tasteless fresh cooked in front of me food, all of it was revolting.

Poppy x

The "no alcohol licence for a day" sounds a bit odd. Sounds like they did something a bit naughty & had their licence revoked for a while. "

Yes, that's what we thought too. A quick phone call (they had my number) would have been good though, to let us know they weren't serving alcohol. It was my birthday after all and wanted a few drinks. Oh well, you live n learn

Poppy x

There are people that treat waiting staff like shit, when i was in the hotel trade the customers we.disliked the most where the ones that ate everything on their plate and then complained

I worked in restaurants as a manager for nearly 15 years, service isn't hard to get right. Even if things go wrong clear communication is the key. I never accept poor service, not in terms of complaints or wailing and gnashing of teeth, quite often I will give them tips about how to handle it differently in the future

Don't fuck with the people who handle your food "

Anyone who did anything like that in my restaurant would have a whole world of trouble visited upon them

Anyone who did anything like that in my restaurant would have a whole world of trouble visited upon them"

Oh, I know that - thankfully I've never known it to happen!

Still a good film though... it gets some parts (not this part of course) of the hospitality industry only too painfully well...

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

We tend to complain about the service, or the quality of the food. Only when it is justified, never just for the he'll of complaining.

Says vid unavail

Oh

Go on YouTube and search for Waiting - Don't Fuck With The People Who Handle Your Food"

Woah woah woah, you can't be mixing mexican with continental food.

Yes, I do complain. If I'm paying for something then I see it as the business transaction that it is. They wouldn't be happy if I didn't perform my part of the transaction (paying) and I expect them to perform their part.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Normally I don't complain but I've decided I've had enough of crap service when you're paying a fortune for it. Do you complain or just accept its par for the course. "

It depends.

I like my steak medium rare. If it's well done I'll send it back. I also like my veg almost raw, but if they're over cooked I won't...unless they're accompanying the steak.

I reclaim my fare for shoddy service. I didn't use to but when I was charged £10 for taking too long to complete my train journey after they cancelled the trains...I thought they're taking the fucking piss!

Not usually its rare ive had bad enough service to complain about. The only one that sticks in mind is when i waited almost an hour for the bill xx

Yes I complain about sub-standard service..... But I make a point of praising good service .....

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

It depends.

I like my steak medium rare. If it's well done I'll send it back. I also like my veg almost raw, but if they're over cooked I won't...unless they're accompanying the steak.

I reclaim my fare for shoddy service. I didn't use to but when I was charged £10 for taking too long to complete my train journey after they cancelled the trains...I thought they're taking the fucking piss! "

If steak is served with any pink - gets sent back and told to cook it properly. I like my burnt and proper dead!!!!!

I always reclaim my ticket if they are late

I complain then leave, I'm not eating anything that comes from the kitchen afterwards

"I complain then leave, I'm not eating anything that comes from the kitchen afterwards "

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Yes. It's important to let service providers know of displeasure, giving them the chance to remedy things.

I won't pay full price if service is inappropriate for me.

I don't want my food spat in, so I give them a roasting on Trip Advisor, far more effective anyway IMO as nobody in the service industry wants bad reviews, whereas if you complain while at the venue they'll just dismiss you as a tosser.

It depends.

I reclaim my fare for shoddy service. I didn't use to but when I was charged £10 for taking too long to complete my train journey after they cancelled the trains...I thought they're taking the fucking piss!

If steak is served with any pink - gets sent back and told to cook it properly. I like my burnt and proper dead!!!!!

I always reclaim my ticket if they are late "

You steak heathen Steak cooked properly should still be pink

I complain about EVERYTHING and not in the best way, my friends generally don't like going to public places with me but with food I kind of have to bite my tongue or keep my complaint till the end, I could never complain about food or anything before receiving it because I'm paranoid they'll wank in my food.

That being said I am banned from 2 of my local harvesters because of complaining.

I think you're perfectly entitled to pay what you feel the meal / service was worth .

I had a t bone steak once , of which only the fillet side was edible. When the waitress asked if my meal was satisfactory , I politely pointed to the chewed mess of gristle , that was the other side , to which I was kindly offered my Diet Coke as a freebie. Now as I'd just paid £20 for an inedible steak I thought getting about 2p worth of post mix draught was taking the piss somewhat. So I offered to pay £5 for the steak id eaten , plus the accompaniments . "I'll ask the manager" came her reply . I promptly said that's all I'm leaving, and left.

"

If I send food back I NEVER accept a replacement ever for this reason.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

We have been out for several meals recently where food arrived cold twice after sending it back, food was uncooked, or over seasroned (too much pepper), then we have complained.

By *tephenBunChowMan  over a year ago

Haywards heath/Waterlooville

....tempted to ask what they do, but I'm not sure I'll like the amswers. "

I'm thinking of the movie Casino, when the mafia guys are cooking burgers for the cops and hawks in his burger. That sort of thing?

By *ohnyorkMan  over a year ago

york

Wow ok

Reading some of the comments here i think i need to speak up i work in a restuarant as a waiter and some of the things people have said is crazy my manager is an arse and most of the time their is only one chef and one waiter on yet he will still fill the restuarant to the rafters giving he can and when people have a long wait its the waiter that gets it in the neck from people complaining and most of the time leaving bad reviews on trip advisor can get that waiter into trouble i will always tell customers when there will be a wait for food but hungry people are impatient people and the one person who said they only left 5 pounds and left in my restuarant its down to the waiter to foot the rest of his bill out of his pocket its not the company that loses out but bad service is not a good thing but you guys should no what happens on the inside too

"Wow ok

Reading some of the comments here i think i need to speak up i work in a restuarant as a waiter and some of the things people have said is crazy my manager is an arse and most of the time their is only one chef and one waiter on yet he will still fill the restuarant to the rafters giving he can and when people have a long wait its the waiter that gets it in the neck from people complaining and most of the time leaving bad reviews on trip advisor can get that waiter into trouble i will always tell customers when there will be a wait for food but hungry people are impatient people and the one person who said they only left 5 pounds and left in my restuarant its down to the waiter to foot the rest of his bill out of his pocket its not the company that loses out but bad service is not a good thing but you guys should no what happens on the inside too "

I've worked in the industry too. But poor service, regardless of whose fault it is, is not acceptable if it's costing £20-30 per head.

» Add a new message to this topic