FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Trusting your gut

Trusting your gut

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

People often say that the best way to avoid time wasters/ fakes etc is to trust your gut.

Have you found that you trust your gut more from being on this site? Is your gut feeling getting more 'tuned in' to other people?

Is trusting your gut a good thing or a bad thing?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *esiderataWoman  over a year ago

St Helier

Hopefully the messages before hand filters and gut shouts no way before a meet. But once or twice has let me down. Reminds myself to check my gut feelings more.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"People often say that the best way to avoid time wasters/ fakes etc is to trust your gut.

Have you found that you trust your gut more from being on this site? Is your gut feeling getting more 'tuned in' to other people?

Is trusting your gut a good thing or a bad thing?"

my gut is great.. unfortunately im not so good at listening to it.. i over think lol

By *etter the devil you knowWoman  over a year ago

Lyndhurst

Yes its got to be a good thing, trouble is in the past I have chose to ignore it. I have been on here for six years and had met men before on other sites.

Just lately I have become less trustworthy and would rather not bother with someone than feel I have wasted my time or regret meeting them.

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

Well sometimes I can be a sceptic bitch, though I bet you never guessed

I never got that saying. I prefer reason and experience. I often think people are referring to learned responses when they say that anyway - experience can help form a "gut opinion."

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I never got that saying. I prefer reason and experience. I often think people are referring to learned responses when they say that anyway - experience can help form a "gut opinion.""

I don't find that - I find gut intuition often flies in the face of reason and learning, IMO it is a spirit function.

I think I'm quite demanding in my wants and have filters and mental processes set to minimise the crap, however a couple have slipped past my bullshitometer recently So no I probably don't use my gut instinct as much as I should

"I never got that saying. I prefer reason and experience. I often think people are referring to learned responses when they say that anyway - experience can help form a "gut opinion."

I don't find that - I find gut intuition often flies in the face of reason and learning, IMO it is a spirit function."

i think it's subliminal. a bit of what you've both said really.

you know if someone has lied to you before, you remember the bad stuff easier than the the good stuff (apparently) so you're gut tends to remind you to feel bad about being lied to again. or whatever else made you feel bad you're stomach will remind you.

i'm crap at explaining stuff...arg.

I think I'm very switched on and intuitive when it comes to sussing people out. I don't have time to meet socially so i have to rely on my "gut feeling". I've never been wrong about anyone I've met. There's always a chance I've been over cautious over someone I've chosen not to meet but I'll never know about that.

By *mojeeCouple  over a year ago

Dunfermline

I can't trust my gut anymore due to my crohns

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

I like to think I use logic and pic up on signals others give out.

But sometimes it does come down to just having a feeling...

Grantham

"I can't trust my gut anymore due to my crohns "

Sympathy for you

I'm coeliac but I don't think it's as bad, as long as I avoid gluten like the plague.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

My gut instinct hasnt let me down but then it could be age and experience but if i get that *feeling" i wont meet

"I never got that saying. I prefer reason and experience. I often think people are referring to learned responses when they say that anyway - experience can help form a "gut opinion."

I don't find that - I find gut intuition often flies in the face of reason and learning, IMO it is a spirit function.

you know if someone has lied to you before, you remember the bad stuff easier than the the good stuff (apparently) so you're gut tends to remind you to feel bad about being lied to again. or whatever else made you feel bad you're stomach will remind you.

i'm crap at explaining stuff...arg."

I get what you mean and I agree. It's a bit of both. You explained it better than I did.

as for OP often my stupid empathy overrides my gut and makes excuses for arseholes but i've been working on this a lot lately and listening to myself more.

been fairly lucky up to now that i've mostly been ok but i keep myself distanced from a lot of people emotionally and usually regret investing myself in anyone. hoping this changes along with my attitude.

i'm crap at explaining stuff...arg.

I get what you mean and I agree. It's a bit of both. You explained it better than I did. "

thanks. i know what i mean in my head but struggle to explain anything or feel like i do. not sure why, maybe i need to brush up on learning more words or something.

By *eliz NelsonMan  over a year ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

Still trust my gut feeling

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

It's a strange thing, but you could try and take notice of your instincts or 'gut feeling' and the weird thing is, the more you do it, the more strange things you'll start noticing and things like guessing correctly who is on the phone will increase and other things. It's a very ancient and basic thing to have and it can be quite useful.

They are usually right

That instinct is never usually wrong. If I go against it, I always regret it. That applies to fab and everyday life.

"Yes its got to be a good thing, trouble is in the past I have chose to ignore it. I have been on here for six years and had met men before on other sites.

Just lately I have become less trustworthy and would rather not bother with someone than feel I have wasted my time or regret meeting them."

"People often say that the best way to avoid time wasters/ fakes etc is to trust your gut.

Always always listen to my gut feeling. Never been wrong yet so not planning on ignoring it.

I fart a lot so no.

Always

I got to be great at spotting who would likely not to turn up.

I always knew you were a good 'un tho OP

You had me at McFlurry

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I saw a series on BBC4 about the brain. One episode looked at gut feelings and mentioned some research. The interweb throws up this synopsis:

That little voice in the back of your mind that says don’t trust them, don’t walk down that alley, don’t go to that party tonight, and think twice before investing stock, isn’t just a passing subconscious. We thrive in a culture that believes rationality and prevailing scientifically proven logic rules over the knee jerk reaction to pull out of the parking lot or investigate a partner’s alibi. There are just certain feelings humans obligatorily follow without concrete reasoning.

A 2011 study published in the journal Psychological Science revealed how the body is able to speak intuitively to the mind by dealing out a card game. Researchers designed a game based on no obvious strategy but forced participants to rely upon their hunches. Each participant was hooked up to a heart monitor and a finger sensor to measure sweat secretion. Most players figured out how to improve and eventually win the game, and researchers realized the winners were those who listened to their heart rate. It would speed up before they made a certain choice, but people mistook the subtle bodily changes for intuition.

“We often talk about intuition coming from the body — following our gut instincts and trusting our hearts,” the study’s coauthor Barnaby D. Dunn, of the Medical Research Council Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit in Cambridge, UK, said in a press release. “What happens in our bodies really does appear to influence what goes in our minds. We should be careful about following these gut instincts, however, as sometimes they help and sometimes they hinder our decision making.”

I think when I follow my gut instinct and it's right I pat myself on the back and claim it as gut instinct. When I don't and it goes wrong I blame it on bad luck. And the other person (if one is involved) being an eejit.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"It's a strange thing, but you could try and take notice of your instincts or 'gut feeling' and the weird thing is, the more you do it, the more strange things you'll start noticing and things like guessing correctly who is on the phone will increase and other things. It's a very ancient and basic thing to have and it can be quite useful. "

Exactly so, like a muscle it gets stronger as you use it more.

Grantham

"Still trust my gut feeling"

I can't help but giggle at this, did you get a reply the other night?

"

Exactly so, like a muscle it gets stronger as you use it more. "

If only that were true.....i could do with a nice firm gut muscle

i'm crap at explaining stuff...arg."

This makes sense about remembering the bad stuff.

You're good at explaining and making me think.

"I saw a series on BBC4 about the brain. One episode looked at gut feelings and mentioned some research. The interweb throws up this synopsis:

That little voice in the back of your mind that says don’t trust them, don’t walk down that alley, don’t go to that party tonight, and think twice before investing stock, isn’t just a passing subconscious. We thrive in a culture that believes rationality and prevailing scientifically proven logic rules over the knee jerk reaction to pull out of the parking lot or investigate a partner’s alibi. There are just certain feelings humans obligatorily follow without concrete reasoning.

A 2011 study published in the journal Psychological Science revealed how the body is able to speak intuitively to the mind by dealing out a card game. Researchers designed a game based on no obvious strategy but forced participants to rely upon their hunches. Each participant was hooked up to a heart monitor and a finger sensor to measure sweat secretion. Most players figured out how to improve and eventually win the game, and researchers realized the winners were those who listened to their heart rate. It would speed up before they made a certain choice, but people mistook the subtle bodily changes for intuition.

“We often talk about intuition coming from the body — following our gut instincts and trusting our hearts,” the study’s coauthor Barnaby D. Dunn, of the Medical Research Council Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit in Cambridge, UK, said in a press release. “What happens in our bodies really does appear to influence what goes in our minds. We should be careful about following these gut instincts, however, as sometimes they help and sometimes they hinder our decision making.”

I think when I follow my gut instinct and it's right I pat myself on the back and claim it as gut instinct. When I don't and it goes wrong I blame it on bad luck. And the other person (if one is involved) being an eejit. "

That's interesting. Is there a link, or a phrase I can Google to find the article?

Very good point in your final paragraph!! Me too.

Eejits.

9 times out of 10 my gut instinct is right, unfortunately I have a habit of going with it when it's wrong

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think we can do really well to trust our gut but may also be drawn into repeating our patterns of behaviour that may lead to mistakes, yet again.

Generally it's unwise not to hone your craft and be really in synch with what you're feeling.

But be aware too that you may be missing out on new experiences. So I'd favour just very controlled and limited forays into new territories.

My problem usually starts when I'm really excited and motivated about something. This emotional push can mask what are potentially cautionary signs that I may not notice or recognise. Or I suppress, choosing to ignore them.

Sometimes it's vital to keep check on yourself, reviewing over again if what you're doing is actually right. It can help by not giving a green light to a quick meet.

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

My gut is fine .. is my arse I don't trust

By *isaB45Woman  over a year ago

Fabville

I trust my gut instinct.

Occssionally, when I decline meet requests/messages etc. I have then been sent abusive messages by the guy concerned. What made me turn them down?

On 2 significant moments in my life, I ignored my gut instinct in favour of rational behaviour. That was when I saw my parents alive for the last time. I wish I had listened to my gut.

I usually follow my gut feeling. If someone or something feels fishy then it's usually fishy.

I have been wrong and walked away from good things and good people but I can't regret it. (As long as I'm right more than I'm wrong)

Is this the feeling you get in your stomach...

When you receive a email at 3am from someone with no pictures. That won't talk on the phone but sends you a address to meet right away

I trust it and it's usually right.

OP, there's a Horizon tonight about how we actually make decisions. BBC4 at 10pm.

"OP, there's a Horizon tonight about how we actually make decisions. BBC4 at 10pm.

"

Aargh missed it... taping it on repeat, Monday at 1.30am thank you!!

I always trust my gut instinct

"OP, there's a Horizon tonight about how we actually make decisions. BBC4 at 10pm.

Aargh missed it... taping it on repeat, Monday at 1.30am thank you!! "

It's from 2014 and I'm pretty sure I saw it then but I'm recording it too.

My gut is quite often off lol. Not here but in the real world. My hubs can spot a twat at 200 paces though xx

By *sianmale89Man  over a year ago

Stockport

It's wise to listen to you're gut sometimes OP as it can and will warn you off making bad decisions or actions.

I like to refer it to as listening to you're lizard brain as it can often warn off danger to one self and how to avoid it or other scenarios where red flags get raised in you're mind..

Overall though like anything else it can sometimes be wrong too as you are only human and are prone to make mistakes here and there....

but bigger picture wise if something feels off/wrong or makes you feel uneasy it's probably best left alone.

» Add a new message to this topic