FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Unwanted phone calls

Unwanted phone calls

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

does anyone else get plagued on a dailey basis with bloody people selling insurance double glazing etc About 2 months ago I registered my nmbr with a company online to block nusience calls I payed £40 for this service. I was told would take 2 weeks for the service to kick in that was about 2 mnths ago now and the calls havent stopped infact they seem to of got worse . Ive also registerd my nmbr with another company which was free. Ive since mailed the other company asking for a refund grrrrrrrrrrr drives me insane

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Try the telephone preference service. google it. its free but won't block out foreign calls or firms who don't subscribe to it but its made a huge difference to the calls we get.will mail you the number

I registered my numbers for free! However, if you fill in things on-line that calls for your number, I think they're able to circumvent that block some how and phone you.

PPI, loans, service providers...thank God for caller id and blocking!

By *hi-John69Man  over a year ago

chichester

register with TPS (telephone preference services) free of charge and once registered companies who do call will be in trouble

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

I take it you have registered with the Telephone Preference Services company. Ask who it is ringing you and a contact number then inform them you that you are registered with TPS and will report them to Ofcom

"Try the telephone preference service. google it. its free but won't block out foreign calls or firms who don't subscribe to it but its made a huge difference to the calls we get.will mail you the number"

Yeah thats the one I just registered with. We recently changed to BT home hub and got a new number so the calls have all started again

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I registered mine for free, think they had me down as a hotline number the amount i used to get. Still get or should i say got old catologue companies ringing me up. But since i started asking for there full name and postcode and date of birth they dont seem to ring back

"I take it you have registered with the Telephone Preference Services company. Ask who it is ringing you and a contact number then inform them you that you are registered with TPS and will report them to Ofcom"

Good idea Ill say that to the next one that calls

By *andy muncherMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

"I take it you have registered with the Telephone Preference Services company. Ask who it is ringing you and a contact number then inform them you that you are registered with TPS and will report them to Ofcom

Good idea Ill say that to the next one that calls "

i leave my answer machine on just love it went off same time every day they stopped phoning me after a few weeks

"I take it you have registered with the Telephone Preference Services company. Ask who it is ringing you and a contact number then inform them you that you are registered with TPS and will report them to Ofcom

Good idea Ill say that to the next one that calls

i leave my answer machine on just love it went off same time every day they stopped phoning me after a few weeks "

Dont have an answer mavhine lol

alternatively blast a rape alarm down the phone.they love it

I too paid for a company to stop unwanted callers, I got in touch with them after a month and said calls are still getting through, they told me to ask for their numbers for them and to say not to phone again...I said that's what I pay you for!

I got this all the time, asking who they are usually gets an answer, but they will not supply you with their 'withheld' number.

Now I simply say, I'll just get the person you are calling for, put the phone on the side and leave them there wasting their money.

They soon stop calling.

"does anyone else get plagued on a dailey basis with bloody people selling insurance double glazing etc About 2 months ago I registered my nmbr with a company online to block nusience calls I payed £40 for this service. I was told would take 2 weeks for the service to kick in that was about 2 mnths ago now and the calls havent stopped infact they seem to of got worse . Ive also registerd my nmbr with another company which was free. Ive since mailed the other company asking for a refund grrrrrrrrrrr drives me insane "
Nope

"does anyone else get plagued on a dailey basis with bloody people selling insurance double glazing etc About 2 months ago I registered my nmbr with a company online to block nusience calls I payed £40 for this service. I was told would take 2 weeks for the service to kick in that was about 2 mnths ago now and the calls havent stopped infact they seem to of got worse . Ive also registerd my nmbr with another company which was free. Ive since mailed the other company asking for a refund grrrrrrrrrrr drives me insane Nope "

Well your a big help aint ya lol

over the last few weeks they have increased.

Get at least 3 or 4 a night at the mo. don't bother answering now!

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

"Try the telephone preference service. google it. its free but won't block out foreign calls or firms who don't subscribe to it but its made a huge difference to the calls we get.will mail you the number"

Correct - TPS won't help with calls originating from outside the UK.

However, any company operating from within the UK has to legally abide by the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations. They can't choose to not subscribe to the list of those who have opted out, as the onus is on the company making the calls to verify that you've not opted-out.

Another way companies can get around the fact someone is registered with TPS is that they claim their call is for "market research", as this isn't covered by TPS sadly.

Unfortunately, though, even if you're registered with TPS, a company can buy from another company the details of people who have agreed to being contacted.

But registering with TPS is definitely worth it as it's free. You might want to also consider barring any calls made where the Caller ID isn't transmitted as this will help reduce the number of calls (although it also blocks calls made from friends and family who live abroad )

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

Otherwise, follow this guy's approach...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s898wpcgcJM

There isnt a lot you can really do about stopping these calls. One way or another they have a loop hole, either calling form outside UK using the 'market research' or 'public service' ploy or buying your number from a company you accepted they can call you with offers. This last point is how most of them get your number. When you fill out a form (either paper ones or online) of any kind for a compnay these days there is virtually always a box that says tick if you want us to contact you by phone-or beware they try to trick you by saying tick if you DO NOT want us to contact you believing you wont read it properly.

If you agree here then it doesnt matter who you are registered with, you give consent for cold calling form that company and any company they sell your information to and its all legal and NOT covered even by the TPS.

So what to do? Change your number and NEVER EVER tick that box (unless it says tick for them NOT to contact you.

Sorry so long winded but hope find it useful

By *ickens CiderMan  over a year ago

taunton

"register with TPS (telephone preference services) free of charge and once registered companies who do call will be in trouble"

you can do it for your mobile number as well as the landline... and if you do get a call instantly say your going to report them as your number is registered with the preference service... that shut them up instantly...

I hope you paid the bogus service the £40 with a credit card... call the card company to revoke the payment for you if they aren't playing ball?

Also never ever send a "reply stop to end receiving these messages" if your getting cold call text messages too... it just confirm to the random phone generating machine that your number is valid... and you'll get even more random marketing text messages... but the mobile preference service should slso slow or stop those text too...

Its worked for my numbers... and equally use caution when filling in online details to access website a telephone number should never have to be a required field to fill in on any register to access a site... surely?

And hey... no harm in making an error in entering your number... they'll never know! lol

I never paid to get my phone number blocked, got my address too so only get a few and as i leave my voicemail on, i never reply, when i do answer my phone, i just tell them i am not interested and put the phone down. Told one company if they rang me again i would report them to the police for harrassment as i had already told them to stop ringing me and take me off their database

"There isnt a lot you can really do about stopping these calls. One way or another they have a loop hole, either calling form outside UK using the 'market research' or 'public service' ploy or buying your number from a company you accepted they can call you with offers. This last point is how most of them get your number. When you fill out a form (either paper ones or online) of any kind for a compnay these days there is virtually always a box that says tick if you want us to contact you by phone-or beware they try to trick you by saying tick if you DO NOT want us to contact you believing you wont read it properly.

If you agree here then it doesnt matter who you are registered with, you give consent for cold calling form that company and any company they sell your information to and its all legal and NOT covered even by the TPS.

So what to do? Change your number and NEVER EVER tick that box (unless it says tick for them NOT to contact you.

Sorry so long winded but hope find it useful"

I dont tick the box for phone/post ever on those types of forms, just email as i dont have to talk to anyone then

By *erendipityWoman  over a year ago

Hertfordshire

I registered with TPS and the calls did drop a little but the real difference came when I decided to go ex directory. It takes a while but I hardly ever get unsolicited calls now - I'd recommend that route instead of TPS.

Also, the tip above about check boxes is a good one as it does circumvent TPS and being ex directory and you end up on lists that are passed on/sold on endlessly.

registered myself

but some company's still do random phone calls an when they do

they get ear ach after it

Just do what we do, use them for a bit of fun.

When they call, just tell them that you have to put them on hold for a moment then press the mute button and let them hang for a while. Occasionally come back to them and apologise for the delay and explain that their call is important to you.

It doesn't stop them calling, but at least they have dropped the call and you had the last laugh

I get plagued by unwelcome faxes in work and at home, there a pain and increase the cartridge useage by a lot

"Just do what we do, use them for a bit of fun.

When they call, just tell them that you have to put them on hold for a moment then press the mute button and let them hang for a while. Occasionally come back to them and apologise for the delay and explain that their call is important to you.

It doesn't stop them calling, but at least they have dropped the call and you had the last laugh "

i have tried that1 they hang up never waited

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

Most of my phone calls are unwanted, I'm not a people person

"over the last few weeks they have increased.

Get at least 3 or 4 a night at the mo. don't bother answering now!"

thats me heavy breathing....am wanting you to answer. i will say, hello sir am doing a survey. i am going to be in your area over the next few days and am wondering exactly where you would like your cock putting

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

"I get plagued by unwelcome faxes in work and at home, there a pain and increase the cartridge useage by a lot "

There is also a fax preferential service.

By *eighleedsMan  over a year ago

leeds

with the ones that use the market research ploy, i usually let them do the spiel the first time, as soon as it gets to the marketing bit, inform them that teh call is really a marketing call, i am TPS registered, and i am reporting them as its not really a research call, usually do not hear from them again

ONe of my friends gets a lot of marketing calls she just as someone said puts it on mute and leavers the call connected, as long as its connected then they are paying for the call even if they hang up.

(as far as i know, unless sommat changed the phone system required the recipeint to hang up to end the call)

just actually got another call from english company who left a message on machine

on my mobile .

i cannot even make out what was the message was said;

just a couple of reference numbers

i phone them an said they have got the wrong number, an hung up on me

they never apologize how rude are they

just wanna scream at them now

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

We haven't got a land line, it's pure bliss! We used to like to wind up the cold callers though if we felt like it! Z

"We haven't got a land line, it's pure bliss! We used to like to wind up the cold callers though if we felt like it! Z"
got another 1 today from a same company i told to take my number of the list of what there selling

they ask you 2 questions i gave them 3

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"I get plagued by unwelcome faxes in work and at home, there a pain and increase the cartridge useage by a lot

There is also a fax preferential service.

"

there are lots fo lists you can put yourself on to stop getting phone calls, faxes, junk mail etc

there is even a list for parents that have sadly miscarried etc as they will have been signed up for lots of things when the new baby arrives and this would obviously be too painful for them.

i think now a days all mailing/contact list questions have to be 'opt in' rather than before when they were 'opt out' and people got caught ut by not ticking the box.

also if you receive junk mail the company sending it to you are legally obliged to tell you where they bought your information from, just request this information when you are ringing them to remove yorself from the mailing list

just remember that due to the waymost companies operate their mailshots etc it can take a couple of months for your details to come off the list and so you may still receive some mail

By *inky24big35Couple  over a year ago

blackpool

ours was done online for free,but im sure the odd one still gets through,cheeky sods they are lol

some cold calling calls i do get

when i check on the 1471 to get the number

its not listed

this wanna make me scream

as i cant Find out who call me

any ways i can?

By *ouplefunukCouple  over a year ago

North Bristol

We got a lot of these (even though we were ex directory) until we registered with the TPS.

Shame - I do miss that Indian guy calling me at 8am every Saturday morning offering me my 'free' mobile phone. I accepted every time but he got affronted when I refused to give my bank details for my 'free' phone. I argued with him every weekend until he hung up

Ahhhh - those were the days

*Her*

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)  over a year ago

birmingham

"as i cant Find out who call me

any ways i can?"

We're with Virgin, although we pay for it, we have number blocked, meaning EVERY caller MUST release their number prior to getting through.

"as i cant Find out who call me

any ways i can?

We're with Virgin, although we pay for it, we have number blocked, meaning EVERY caller MUST release their number prior to getting through."

with virgin to

but the number dose not come up

the caller withheld it

I don't as I work all day, every day, so if they call it rings out as I don't even have an answer service!

am out most of the day tthe phone has a built in 1, also have the free virgin one to

only need it if they cant reach me on the mobile

am register with tps few years ago

till get the calls

birmingham

"with virgin to

the caller withheld it"

In order to have the same as us, YOU have to request the service from Virgin, remember there is a monthly fee, think we pay around £2.00 per month.

"with virgin to

the caller withheld it

In order to have the same as us, YOU have to request the service from Virgin, remember there is a monthly fee, think we pay around £2.00 per month."

is it caller id ?

you ask for to have

birmingham

"is it caller id ?"

I believe so

"you ask for to have"

You have to request it

"is it caller id ?

I believe so

you ask for to have

You have to request it "

it be good to speak some one being English

every time i call them its you no lol

birmingham

"it be good to speak some one being English"

Should you end up with an overseas call centre, ask to be transferred to the UK

"it be good to speak some one being English

Should you end up with an overseas call centre, ask to be transferred to the UK "

tried many times

just ended up hanging up

Contact preferential services as others have said, contact BT or virgin or who ever your provider is and get call withheld numbers blocked and if it persists i think its ofgem you need to contact. Clearly someone has sold on your number without your consent to telemarketing companies.

"does anyone else get plagued on a dailey basis with bloody people selling insurance double glazing etc About 2 months ago I registered my nmbr with a company online to block nusience calls I payed £40 for this service. I was told would take 2 weeks for the service to kick in that was about 2 mnths ago now and the calls havent stopped infact they seem to of got worse . Ive also registerd my nmbr with another company which was free. Ive since mailed the other company asking for a refund grrrrrrrrrrr drives me insane "

Caller display then if you don't recognise the number you can just ignore them.

i like to play games with the people who phone me trying to sell me something i let them do there whole pitch and then tell them at the end of the call that i am either living in a council house or i am infact still living at home or it annoys them if you answer and then put them on hold

or i just say

i speck no ing lish

and thats all i say they end up hanging up and then dont phone again lol

"I get plagued by unwelcome faxes in work and at home, there a pain and increase the cartridge useage by a lot "

Some fax machines come with software which allows you to view faxes which have been saved on your fax machine's internal memory on your computer screen before deciding whether to print the document, save it to your hard drive or just delete it.

It also allows you do work in the other direction ie you create a document on your computer and send it, via your fax machine, without having created a hard copy.

» Add a new message to this topic