FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > ladies only

ladies only

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

can anyone tell me their experiences with the mirena coil. how soon after having it fitted did you have sex? did it hurt? could your partner feel it? did you bleed afterwards? ive just had it fitted today and wondered how soon is too soon to carry on with sex. obviously not tonight lol. any advice is more than welcome.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I had it a few years ago. It was a while before I stopped bleeding, maybe 2 weeks? And the cramps lasted a bit longer. However, my libido was totally killed off so I hardly ever had sex. It made my legs hairier too

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

Deffo one for the ladies

Hated it, had it removed after 8 weeks. I bled constantly and was uncomfortable for me and my partner x

"I had it a few years ago. It was a while before I stopped bleeding, maybe 2 weeks? And the cramps lasted a bit longer. However, my libido was totally killed off so I hardly ever had sex. It made my legs hairier too "
oh not good. i had cramps earlier on when it was being fitted but they have eased off now. hope im one of the lucky ones x

I've had one before. It hurt a little bit getting it fitted, but I went straight back to work afterwards with just a bit of light cramping - and supposedly it was worse for me because I've never had children.

It took a few months for the bleeding (never more than light spotting) to settle down and stop altogether and then there wasn't any more at all. I think it affected my skin, but I'm very susceptible to breakouts from hormonal contraceptives of any kind anyway and it did settle down too.

Unfortunately, my husband, who is quite big, said he could feel the strings poking the end of his knob, and really didn't like it. That's apparently rare though.

So there's positives and negatives - but overall I'd recommend giving one a try.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I'll be watching with interest too. I'm supposed to be getting one soon.

I'm hoping for not too many scare stories since I'm already wavering on the decision.

By *ngeluk69Woman  over a year ago

Near enough

I had one for 3.5 years and tbh I couldn't get on with it at all, I was constantly paranoid that any partner would be able to feel it as it sat quite low and was always quite uncomfortable. My doctor never cut the cords short enough either and when I asked for it to be removed the cords were tangled and embedded in my womb wall

"Deffo one for the ladies "
lol defineitly x

"I've had one before. It hurt a little bit getting it fitted, but I went straight back to work afterwards with just a bit of light cramping - and supposedly it was worse for me because I've never had children.

It took a few months for the bleeding (never more than light spotting) to settle down and stop altogether and then there wasn't any more at all. I think it affected my skin, but I'm very susceptible to breakouts from hormonal contraceptives of any kind anyway and it did settle down too.

Unfortunately, my husband, who is quite big, said he could feel the strings poking the end of his knob, and really didn't like it. That's apparently rare though.

So there's positives and negatives - but overall I'd recommend giving one a try. "

ive never had children either so they had to dilate my cervix to put it in place. ive not had a proper period since april when i had the implant removed. fingers crossed they dont flare up again x

Sent you a pm x

"I had one for 3.5 years and tbh I couldn't get on with it at all, I was constantly paranoid that any partner would be able to feel it as it sat quite low and was always quite uncomfortable. My doctor never cut the cords short enough either and when I asked for it to be removed the cords were tangled and embedded in my womb wall "
not nice. im hoping my husband doesnt feel it either. i feel like a virgin all over again waiting to try sex for the first time lol. x

By *cduck and Blue eyesCouple  over a year ago

nr chester

I had mine on and off for years, I'm sterilised now, but i never had any probs, periods always stopped, cramps were over with after fitting in no more than a couple of days, I loved mine, if I could I would have one again just to help with periods but the doc says no hopefully all will be fab with yours op and good luck with it Mrs blue eyes

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

I'm on my second mirena. Initially it was sore and cramps. But paracetamol helps. I don't get periods just occasional spotting. I've plenty sex drive and I've had three kids.

There's a good Facebook support group for the mirena.

I bleed constantly with mine. Suffered for a year then got it removed. I went onto the depo. I loved that so easy and no periods but then they changed the carrier and I developed an allergic reaction to it and had to stop. Now I'm back on the pill and I'm happy. Xxx

"I had it a few years ago. It was a while before I stopped bleeding, maybe 2 weeks? And the cramps lasted a bit longer. However, my libido was totally killed off so I hardly ever had sex. It made my legs hairier too oh not good. i had cramps earlier on when it was being fitted but they have eased off now. hope im one of the lucky ones x"

According to my gp the hairy legs is unusual! I also got very depressed on it so had it removed after 3 months. My experience isn't typical, but the HCP's would have you believe that the hormones only affect your reproductive organs without entering the blood stream. As my depression disappeared immediately after having the coil removed, and my fuzziness returned to normal, I would say their claims are not accurate.

"I had mine on and off for years, I'm sterilised now, but i never had any probs, periods always stopped, cramps were over with after fitting in no more than a couple of days, I loved mine, if I could I would have one again just to help with periods but the doc says no hopefully all will be fab with yours op and good luck with it Mrs blue eyes "

I'm thinking of getting sterilised, been refered once before but was unsure. How was it for you? X

By *urvyKattWoman  over a year ago

Dumfriesshire

I'm on my second one, cramps stopped on the day it was fitted both times. As did the bleeding. Nobody has ever felt the tails but the tails did go up into my cervix and I had to get the first one removed and replaced at the hospital by the gynaecologist. Best thing I ever did but my doctor has said this is my last one as he thinks I dont need it any more.

By *nc24funCouple  over a year ago

wigan

Had one for 8 weeks , was in pain tummy cramps and constantly bleeding the whole time I could feel it saying that i have a problem with my cervix .Since I had it removed I have had the balloon oblation and I have never looked back x

mrs D

"I had mine on and off for years, I'm sterilised now, but i never had any probs, periods always stopped, cramps were over with after fitting in no more than a couple of days, I loved mine, if I could I would have one again just to help with periods but the doc says no hopefully all will be fab with yours op and good luck with it Mrs blue eyes "
thanks for the positive outlook. i suppose it varies from woman to woman. thank you xx

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

I had a mirena fitted at the beginning of march. I bled on the day it was fitted and had some cramps but it was less painful than a period. I waited 48 hours before having sex and neither of us could feel it or had any discomfort. All was great until i got my period about 10 days later. I had a very, very heavy period and awful cramps. I bled heavily for 2 weeks and then spotting for the other 2 weeks. Next period just the same

It settled down after about 4 months but i do still get very occasional spotting. I'm very happy with it now. I used to be anaemic because my periods were so heavy but now they only last 4 days and are much lighter. I used to use the biggest tampons i could find and now i have the smallest

"Had one for 8 weeks , was in pain tummy cramps and constantly bleeding the whole time I could feel it saying that i have a problem with my cervix .Since I had it removed I have had the balloon oblation and I have never looked back x

mrs D "

"I had a mirena fitted at the beginning of march. I bled on the day it was fitted and had some cramps but it was less painful than a period. I waited 48 hours before having sex and neither of us could feel it or had any discomfort. All was great until i got my period about 10 days later. I had a very, very heavy period and awful cramps. I bled heavily for 2 weeks and then spotting for the other 2 weeks. Next period just the same

It settled down after about 4 months but i do still get very occasional spotting. I'm very happy with it now. I used to be anaemic because my periods were so heavy but now they only last 4 days and are much lighter. I used to use the biggest tampons i could find and now i have the smallest "

fingers crossed for you they may just stop altogether soon xx

I had my second one removed too. The first one was marvellous and had it in place for five years. The second one was hell and I was losing a tremendous amount of blood irregularly

"can anyone tell me their experiences with the mirena coil. how soon after having it fitted did you have sex? did it hurt? could your partner feel it? did you bleed afterwards? ive just had it fitted today and wondered how soon is too soon to carry on with sex. obviously not tonight lol. any advice is more than welcome. "

Simple Abstinence for Me Now though I was on the Pill for a Year then the Contraceptive Depo for Four Year's !

"I'm on my second one, cramps stopped on the day it was fitted both times. As did the bleeding. Nobody has ever felt the tails but the tails did go up into my cervix and I had to get the first one removed and replaced at the hospital by the gynaecologist. Best thing I ever did but my doctor has said this is my last one as he thinks I dont need it any more."
brilliant, hope its the same for me. i got a bad cramp when she was inserting it. bit of a bleed but all seems well now and its only 12 hours since i had it fitted. alls looking good so far x

I would highly recommend it.

I'd been sterilised years before but due to heavy periods got a Mirena fitted. Took 3 or 4 months - but then all was good.

May be an age thing as I was older when I got mine. And might depend on why you want it fitted

Mine should have come out after 5 years - I got round to getting it out after 10. Saw me right through the menopause to with not a problem apart from the odd hot flush

Never had a partner in all those years that could feel the strings

"can anyone tell me their experiences with the mirena coil. how soon after having it fitted did you have sex? did it hurt? could your partner feel it? did you bleed afterwards? ive just had it fitted today and wondered how soon is too soon to carry on with sex. obviously not tonight lol. any advice is more than welcome.

Simple Abstinence for Me Now though I was on the Pill for a Year then the Contraceptive Depo for Four Year's !"

ive had depo, the implant, the pill, now the coil, next step i will opt for sterilisation. i was offered it but chose the coil insead. x

I had it was horrible..was a while before having sex.. it moved so docs moved it back...killed both times they did it... but did hurt to have sex... ended up with ovarian cystic spend 8 month of docs and scan to finally have a op to remove the cyst and coil... will never have it again

But every one is different and you might be OK good luck op xx

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

Mines been great I had it to help with my hormones due to the cancer..

One of mine 'got lost' threads too short but easily removed.

The second the threads life a bit too long and made Dick bleed. Punctured a whole in his penis so he was uncomfortable but I'm fine unless it's really hard and deep in doggy and I can sometimes feel it.

"I would highly recommend it.

I'd been sterilised years before but due to heavy periods got a Mirena fitted. Took 3 or 4 months - but then all was good.

May be an age thing as I was older when I got mine. And might depend on why you want it fitted

Mine should have come out after 5 years - I got round to getting it out after 10. Saw me right through the menopause to with not a problem apart from the odd hot flush

Never had a partner in all those years that could feel the strings"

i will be nearly 52 when its due to come out but can have it replaced for another 5 years if im not on the menopause by then x

By *iSTARessWoman  over a year ago

London

Cramped for a week after. Bled pretty much continually for three months, spotted for another three. Very emotional (I've high testosterone on my system, must have been in shock) bit it has finally settled down after eight months.

Would rather they whip the lot out and have done with it

I'm on my second and no problems with it when it's in at all. I think the advice was to wait a week before having sex and to use condoms until you go for your check (6weeks?). Also don't use tampons....i think until then either. If strings are felt you can get them shortened but they do soften i believe. The only issue i had with mine was the removal because the strings went awol. It can take a while for things to settle but for me it was worth it as i don't have to worry about it for another 5 years.

I'm seriously considering cancelling mine

"I had it was horrible..was a while before having sex.. it moved so docs moved it back...killed both times they did it... but did hurt to have sex... ended up with ovarian cystic spend 8 month of docs and scan to finally have a op to remove the cyst and coil... will never have it again

But every one is different and you might be OK good luck op xx"

sounds like you went through hell. im sorry to hear that but thank you for your comments x

By *unLuvazCouple  over a year ago

cheshire

I had to have the copper coil. As there is no hormones involved. The marina coil made me crazy. But with any coil I have been told to NIR have sex for 2 weeks x

"I had mine on and off for years, I'm sterilised now, but i never had any probs, periods always stopped, cramps were over with after fitting in no more than a couple of days, I loved mine, if I could I would have one again just to help with periods but the doc says no hopefully all will be fab with yours op and good luck with it Mrs blue eyes

I'm thinking of getting sterilised, been refered once before but was unsure. How was it for you? X"

I was sterilized last October and it was fine. I had the old-school tube cut and clamp as I'm allergic to the nickel in the esure one. I was a little tender for about 10 days but that was it. Sooooo much less bother than the mirena!

"I'm seriously considering cancelling mine "
why? xx

"Cramped for a week after. Bled pretty much continually for three months, spotted for another three. Very emotional (I've high testosterone on my system, must have been in shock) bit it has finally settled down after eight months.

Would rather they whip the lot out and have done with it "

"I had it was horrible..was a while before having sex.. it moved so docs moved it back...killed both times they did it... but did hurt to have sex... ended up with ovarian cystic spend 8 month of docs and scan to finally have a op to remove the cyst and coil... will never have it again

But every one is different and you might be OK good luck op xx sounds like you went through hell. im sorry to hear that but thank you for your comments x"

Ya wasn't the best.. I do with it had worked though as I'm rubbish will all the other and the injection I put weight on.. but had no chose I don't want any more babie lol..

I'm sure your will be OK though xx

"I'm seriously considering cancelling mine why? xx"

So many bad stories.

I'm very worried.

I've also been taking the mini pill to see how I get on with a progesterone contraceptive and the answer so far has been not well.

But every one is different and you might be OK good luck op xx sounds like you went through hell. im sorry to hear that but thank you for your comments x

Ya wasn't the best.. I do with it had worked though as I'm rubbish will all the other and the injection I put weight on.. but had no chose I don't want any more babie lol..

I'm sure your will be OK though xx"

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I had two mirenas with absolutely no problem, Mr N could feel the strings at first so I went and had them trimmed shorter. It also saw me through menopause with barely any symptoms. For me it was excellent.

"I had two mirenas with absolutely no problem, Mr N could feel the strings at first so I went and had them trimmed shorter. It also saw me through menopause with barely any symptoms. For me it was excellent."
sounds good to me. hopefully im as lucky as you x

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

"I'm seriously considering cancelling mine why? xx

So many bad stories.

I'm very worried.

I've also been taking the mini pill to see how I get on with a progesterone contraceptive and the answer so far has been not well."

It's different for everyone and I've not had any major problems.

Ask your doctor about it. You need to do what's right for you?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I had two mirenas with absolutely no problem, Mr N could feel the strings at first so I went and had them trimmed shorter. It also saw me through menopause with barely any symptoms. For me it was excellent. sounds good to me. hopefully im as lucky as you x"

Its always possible to have it removed if you don't get on with it.

[Removed by poster at 30/08/16 20:56:18]

"I had two mirenas with absolutely no problem, Mr N could feel the strings at first so I went and had them trimmed shorter. It also saw me through menopause with barely any symptoms. For me it was excellent. sounds good to me. hopefully im as lucky as you x

Its always possible to have it removed if you don't get on with it. "

There are always for & againsts so read between the lines to get an overall picture.

For me the for was - contraception for 5 years & it's apparently good for women in their 40's, hormone wise & virtually no periods either.

The against ~ the pain was awful, my body went into a false labour trying to get rid of the coil, lasted for approx 12 hours, not particularly common but can happen. Took about 6 months to settle down bleeding wise. I put a lot of bleeding issues I had later on after sex down to the coil as I think it became dislodged.

I had it removed this year & couldn't bear to have another one fitted so am now on Cerazette which suits me better.

If you have multiple partners I was advised by the clinic to keep the strings short as it can make you prone to infection. How true that is I'm am unsure.

thanks for everyones feedack. nothing better than asking other women who have experienced it. much appreciated and good luck to those who are considering having it x

"There are always for & againsts so read between the lines to get an overall picture.

For me the for was - contraception for 5 years & it's apparently good for women in their 40's, hormone wise & virtually no periods either.

The against ~ the pain was awful, my body went into a false labour trying to get rid of the coil, lasted for approx 12 hours, not particularly common but can happen. Took about 6 months to settle down bleeding wise. I put a lot of bleeding issues I had later on after sex down to the coil as I think it became dislodged.

I had it removed this year & couldn't bear to have another one fitted so am now on Cerazette which suits me better.

If you have multiple partners I was advised by the clinic to keep the strings short as it can make you prone to infection. How true that is I'm am unsure."

ouch, that was a bad experience

I'm on my second. I bled constantly that's why I got fitted with one.

I stopped bleeding in a couple of days after being fitted and never looked back. I had cramp monthly for the 4 years it was fitted.

My second got fitted 2 months ago and this one is amazing. No cramps.

The removal was awfull. This was due to my tails getting lost. That doesnt happen often.

I was sore for a couple of hours bled for couple of hours.

U can have sex the next day depending how tender u are. Just need to use condoms for 7 days after to make sure ur covered.

Hope this helps. Can't rave about them enough.

X

"There are always for & againsts so read between the lines to get an overall picture.

If you have multiple partners I was advised by the clinic to keep the strings short as it can make you prone to infection. How true that is I'm am unsure."

Cerazette made me borderline psychotic. Terrifying.

By *ango0505Woman  over a year ago

Dumfries

I'm on my second one and have had no trouble with either. No bleeding at all now.

I was unsure about the first one as I had read all the blogs and horror stories and my GP said that its like when you are pregnant everyone has a horror story. But in ratio to how many children are born every day that a small percentage. Her advice was to try it and see. I could have it removed after if it didn't suit Never looked back

By *erdita Von TeaseWoman  over a year ago

nottingham

So many bad stories.

I'm very worried.

I've also been taking the mini pill to see how I get on with a progesterone contraceptive and the answer so far has been not well."

You always tend to hear the bad stories over the good and they stick in your head. Mine was a little painful when put it (sharp pain) and I did have cramping for a few weeks but absolutely no problems since then

So many bad stories.

I'm very worried.

I've also been taking the mini pill to see how I get on with a progesterone contraceptive and the answer so far has been not well.

You always tend to hear the bad stories over the good and they stick in your head. Mine was a little painful when put it (sharp pain) and I did have cramping for a few weeks but absolutely no problems since then"

I suppose that's true.

I had a really bad reaction to Cerazette though, (a progesterone pill), which has made me even more nervous.

I know I can have it taken out again but it will be a hassle.

If I have another reaction like on Cerazette... It doesn't bear thinking about.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

After it was fitted it was slihtly uncomfortable, like a slight period pain a couple of paracetamol and it was gone.

Hubby couldn't feel it.

Ah the bleeding. In the 9 months I had the nasty thing there were only about 65 days when I DIDN'T bleed.

I hated it. Told the nurse if she didn't remove it I would do it myself, and I meant it. I had constant headaches, weight gain, exhaustion and the hormonal swings drove me nutty, I never get that hormonal.

It took me 18 months after removal to get me back to being me. One of the worse things I've ever done, fucked up my health big time.

Well so far so good. 12 hours on and the bleeding and cramps have gone. Here's hoping they don't come back with avengance tomorrow

I wanted this so much but my cervix is too small for it to be inserted.

Sounds like it's going ok for you! Good job

"Well so far so good. 12 hours on and the bleeding and cramps have gone. Here's hoping they don't come back with avengance tomorrow "

So far so good

Have some pain killers if it does.

"I wanted this so much but my cervix is too small for it to be inserted.

Sounds like it's going ok for you! Good job "

I had to have mine dilated cos it's too narrow from not having children. Here's hoping it works

"Well so far so good. 12 hours on and the bleeding and cramps have gone. Here's hoping they don't come back with avengance tomorrow

So far so good

Have some pain killers if it does. "

I will. Thank you x

After 3 Copper Ts - I've got my third Mirena - and very happy with it.

The first Mirena - bleeding was lighter than a normal period for about three months - and then NOOOOOOOO periods ever since! Easy removal and fitting of second and third in the last ten years.

And never had anyone mention feeling the strings!

Doc says he won't recommend a Fourth due to my age - but I may have to twist his arm as I like being period-free!

"After 3 Copper Ts - I've got my third Mirena - and very happy with it.

The first Mirena - bleeding was lighter than a normal period for about three months - and then NOOOOOOOO periods ever since! Easy removal and fitting of second and third in the last ten years.

And never had anyone mention feeling the strings!

Doc says he won't recommend a Fourth due to my age - but I may have to twist his arm as I like being period-free!"

nr chester

"I had mine on and off for years, I'm sterilised now, but i never had any probs, periods always stopped, cramps were over with after fitting in no more than a couple of days, I loved mine, if I could I would have one again just to help with periods but the doc says no hopefully all will be fab with yours op and good luck with it Mrs blue eyes

I'm thinking of getting sterilised, been refered once before but was unsure. How was it for you? X"

. Hi chick, sorry hadn't realised you asked, yeah it's been brilliant, I have 3 little ones, and I had previously had the mirena before my last duckling, after she was born we knew that we were complete as a family, so it seemed a great option, I was in as a day patient and it's done within an hour, had a little cramping after but strong painkillers worked for that and within a few days I was all back to normal, it's all keyhole so you barely notice you've had it done, the worst bit was that they fill you full of air and the pain in my shoulders whilst waiting for it to disperse was dreadful, but lots of peppermint tea and walking up and down stairs helped, I'd recommend it to anyone, i usually forget I've even had it done hope this helps but never worry about sending a pm if you want to chat about it, Mrs blue eyes

By *aughty_amazonWoman  over a year ago

BRISTOL

I had it and it fell out last year, bled Luke a fucker for months but they made me wait 6m. Bled on and off constantly and my Ex could feel it even though they cut the strings really short and he wasn't huge. Couldn't ever be fisted either which I love.

Made my bleeding very very clotty too and I was so miserable because I never knew when I was gonna bleed

I'm thinking of getting sterilised, been refered once before but was unsure. How was it for you? X. Hi chick, sorry hadn't realised you asked, yeah it's been brilliant, I have 3 little ones, and I had previously had the mirena before my last duckling, after she was born we knew that we were complete as a family, so it seemed a great option, I was in as a day patient and it's done within an hour, had a little cramping after but strong painkillers worked for that and within a few days I was all back to normal, it's all keyhole so you barely notice you've had it done, the worst bit was that they fill you full of air and the pain in my shoulders whilst waiting for it to disperse was dreadful, but lots of peppermint tea and walking up and down stairs helped, I'd recommend it to anyone, i usually forget I've even had it done hope this helps but never worry about sending a pm if you want to chat about it, Mrs blue eyes "

Thank you I will do today if that's ok x

nr chester

I'm thinking of getting sterilised, been refered once before but was unsure. How was it for you? X. Hi chick, sorry hadn't realised you asked, yeah it's been brilliant, I have 3 little ones, and I had previously had the mirena before my last duckling, after she was born we knew that we were complete as a family, so it seemed a great option, I was in as a day patient and it's done within an hour, had a little cramping after but strong painkillers worked for that and within a few days I was all back to normal, it's all keyhole so you barely notice you've had it done, the worst bit was that they fill you full of air and the pain in my shoulders whilst waiting for it to disperse was dreadful, but lots of peppermint tea and walking up and down stairs helped, I'd recommend it to anyone, i usually forget I've even had it done hope this helps but never worry about sending a pm if you want to chat about it, Mrs blue eyes

Thank you I will do today if that's ok x"

. Of course lovely, no problem xxxxx

"I had it and it fell out last year, bled Luke a fucker for months but they made me wait 6m. Bled on and off constantly and my Ex could feel it even though they cut the strings really short and he wasn't huge. Couldn't ever be fisted either which I love.

Made my bleeding very very clotty too and I was so miserable because I never knew when I was gonna bleed"

I've had mine nearly 4 years, spotted a lot to start with but then stopped. Now though I have really light periods again but they think it's because it's nearing the end of its life span. I'll have another one put in, as I never got on with oral contraceptives. They really effected my skin but the coil has been ok. Never had anyone say can feel the strings. I was very cautious to start with and had some side pain too but it all settled fairly quickly. It's been good for me.

Sarah

"I've had mine nearly 4 years, spotted a lot to start with but then stopped. Now though I have really light periods again but they think it's because it's nearing the end of its life span. I'll have another one put in, as I never got on with oral contraceptives. They really effected my skin but the coil has been ok. Never had anyone say can feel the strings. I was very cautious to start with and had some side pain too but it all settled fairly quickly. It's been good for me.

Sarah "

» Add a new message to this topic