FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > There's work if you want it!

There's work if you want it!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Haven't worked for around 3 months as I had a family bereavement which I didn't take very well n couldn't be fucked with the work chit chat n banter.

Wasn't remotely interested in looking for a job during that time....n I didn't!

Feeling a lot better now so thought I better buck my ideas up!

So the first job I got I phoned up about last Thursday n had a start on Monday!

Worked yesterday n today n found the job and the hours not to my liking lol

So phoned about another job today that's much more up my street.....n got a call back 20 min later for a start tomorrow! Both jobs are direct employment too n not agency Happy days!

So aye there's work if you really want it......or not!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ongtalljonMan  over a year ago

North Wales

When I left school, Thatcher had just come to power, unemployment was extremely high, strikes were held every day. It's back in the days of the famous Norman Tebbit "on your bike" speech.

I left school early to work in a newly set up family business. I've never claimed a single penny in benefit of any kind and I've always managed to earn enough to eat. I've never rung in sick because of a slight cold or a pulled muscle. Yes there have been some very grey, low, depressing times.

However, if anyone wants to work, then work is ALWAYS out there!

"When I left school, Thatcher had just come to power, unemployment was extremely high, strikes were held every day. It's back in the days of the famous Norman Tebbit "on your bike" speech.

I left school early to work in a newly set up family business. I've never claimed a single penny in benefit of any kind and I've always managed to earn enough to eat. I've never rung in sick because of a slight cold or a pulled muscle. Yes there have been some very grey, low, depressing times.

However, if anyone wants to work, then work is ALWAYS out there!"

Good on you mate

Can remember my auld dear n a few other older heads saying when labour were in in the 70's you could leave school n have your pick of jobs....n if you didn't like it get another,n another n another n another!

Was this the case or are they looking through rose tinted spectacles?

I liked my free milk at school.....Maggie ya cow! Lol

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I was unemployed for 3 months there and thought I was going insane. It's not that easy for all of us, sadly.

By *uzy444Woman  over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

"Haven't worked for around 3 months as I had a family bereavement which I didn't take very well n couldn't be fucked with the work chit chat n banter.

So phoned about another job today that's much more up my street.....n got a call back 20 min later for a start tomorrow! Both jobs are direct employment too n not agency Happy days!

So aye there's work if you really want it......or not! "

so good to hear you are not only feeling better, but things are working out well for you..hugs xxx

What line of work?

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

That's great for you, OP.

I think it depends on skills and location and how transferable your role is.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"Haven't worked for around 3 months as I had a family bereavement which I didn't take very well n couldn't be fucked with the work chit chat n banter.

I agree there is work for people, but not everyone wants to do the jobs that are out there.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

It's just a rumour that they're spreading round town........

Left school in 1976 , at 15 .

Should have done another year at school but got a job as a labourer on a building site near home . Good money and taught me a work ethic , which still sticks today .

Never been unemployed , had a stack of jobs doing all sorts and very comfortable now running my family business .

The one thing that sticks in my mind is how I would do any job at all if I needed the money . Even preparing chicken at a kfc and I'm a life long vegetarian . It was all I could do at the time as I was a baker working from midnight till 8 , window cleaner from 9 till 12 , slept till 6 then kfc from 7 till 11 . I was 17 and had a child and my first house so needs must ....

"I was unemployed for 3 months there and thought I was going insane. It's not that easy for all of us, sadly. "

It's good for a wee while but you get fed up pretty quickly! Not to mention being skint!

I can't really grumble though it was my own choice....had a cushy wee number too!

Walked out n didn't even bother phoning in....then even got my job back after 3 weeks as the guys on the site specifically asked my boss to give me another chance (I'm awesome! Lol)

Did 3 days then fucked it off again....which was pretty daft of me but I really wasn't in a good place!

I realize how lucky I am to find work so quickly.....when I actually bothered to start looking!

So aye there's work if you really want it......or not! so good to hear you are not only feeling better, but things are working out well for you..hugs xxx"

Cheers lovely xxx

"What line of work? "

Construction

"That's great for you, OP.

I think it depends on skills and location and how transferable your role is.

"

Thanks n yes that's very true.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Lots of people say there's work there if you really want it and I'm glad that for them that's been the case. It hasn't been our experience though.

I agree there is work for people, but not everyone wants to do the jobs that are out there.

For every person that doesn't want the job I'm sure there's loads that do.....just not me....n not that job!Lol

"Left school in 1976 , at 15 .

Should have done another year at school but got a job as a labourer on a building site near home . Good money and taught me a work ethic , which still sticks today .

Never been unemployed , had a stack of jobs doing all sorts and very comfortable now running my family business .

The one thing that sticks in my mind is how I would do any job at all if I needed the money . Even preparing chicken at a kfc and I'm a life long vegetarian . It was all I could do at the time as I was a baker working from midnight till 8 , window cleaner from 9 till 12 , slept till 6 then kfc from 7 till 11 . I was 17 and had a child and my first house so needs must ...."

Good strong work ethic

As you say though it's needs must if you've got mouths to feed!

My work ethic.....needs work!

By *litheroevoyeurMan  over a year ago

Clitheroe

"When I left school, Thatcher had just come to power, unemployment was extremely high, strikes were held every day. It's back in the days of the famous Norman Tebbit "on your bike" speech.

However, if anyone wants to work, then work is ALWAYS out there!

Good on you mate

Can remember my auld dear n a few other older heads saying when labour were in in the 70's you could leave school n have your pick of jobs....n if you didn't like it get another,n another n another n another!

Was this the case or are they looking through rose tinted spectacles?

I liked my free milk at school.....Maggie ya cow! Lol"

I left school in '68 and yes it was pretty much as you describe. Apprenticeships were available in all sorts of trades.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

When redundancies were in the offing lots oft colleagues said they weren't worried because they would go and work in Tesco if it came to it, they were quite shocked to discover that you couldn't just walk in to a job like that. It's fine to say you will do any job...but the job needs to be there in the first place and you need to be successful in getting it in the second.

"When redundancies were in the offing lots oft colleagues said they weren't worried because they would go and work in Tesco if it came to it, they were quite shocked to discover that you couldn't just walk in to a job like that. It's fine to say you will do any job...but the job needs to be there in the first place and you need to be successful in getting it in the second."

I'm considered over-qualified to work in a shop and I can't just fake a CV without my experience on it as many employers check Google now. My whole career is there to see.

"When redundancies were in the offing lots oft colleagues said they weren't worried because they would go and work in Tesco if it came to it, they were quite shocked to discover that you couldn't just walk in to a job like that. It's fine to say you will do any job...but the job needs to be there in the first place and you need to be successful in getting it in the second."

Aye I know what you mean....starting to think I've been a wee bit lucky with timing / availability!

"When redundancies were in the offing lots oft colleagues said they weren't worried because they would go and work in Tesco if it came to it, they were quite shocked to discover that you couldn't just walk in to a job like that. It's fine to say you will do any job...but the job needs to be there in the first place and you need to be successful in getting it in the second.

Aye I know what you mean....starting to think I've been a wee bit lucky with timing / availability! "

Reading your post about walking out twice I'd say you have been very fortunate.

I understand that you didn't feel up to working but it's a very understanding employer that lets a walk out happen twice.

"Lots of people say there's work there if you really want it and I'm glad that for them that's been the case. It hasn't been our experience though."

In the past I've found it was easy....but then i didn't have kids and i was very flexible over hours and location.and when i was desperate i did whatever job was available..so yeah easy.....now with a family it's more tricky. I'm now facing redundancy again but this time it scares me. I need to be able to work school hours so that i don't have to rely on childcare and i need a certain level of pay. That's going to be trickier. Yes i could take any job but that means I'll either have to take a cut in wages (which i can't afford) or work Longer hours...still for less money once you take out childcare costs. It really isn't all that easy for everyone.

yes there is work available..but for how long?

Good news op of course..congrats.

I've worked most of my years but I feel people forget how easy it is to be out of work, through no fault of your own.(take working in something like bhs etc for most of your life as an example).

As technology progresses(I'm no luddite though), in lets say 20 years..many jobs will be mechanized/computerized..its just a simple fact.

Sorry for the doom n gloom, but job security can override job availability for many.

Lots of jobs available in my work. Just very few that fit in with childcare. Shifts from 6-7am starts. Childcare begins 7:30. 9-10pm finishes, not possible. Nights, not possible.

By *asokittyWoman  over a year ago

Nr Worksop

"I was unemployed for 3 months there and thought I was going insane. It's not that easy for all of us, sadly. "

My sister has applied for over 50 jobs and most don't even get back to her.

It's awful!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Is this a thinly veiled attempt to knock those who are not working?

There's been too much indoctrination of divide and conquer tactics that I find sickening.

Sure, enjoy your good fortune but don't sink to buying the hate that Goebbels etc have amused themselves with at your cost and perils

Nr Worksop

"Is this a thinly veiled attempt to knock those who are not working?

There's been too much indoctrination of divide and conquer tactics that I find sickening.

Sure, enjoy your good fortune but don't sink to buying the hate that Goebbels etc have amused themselves with at your cost and perils "

"Lots of people say there's work there if you really want it and I'm glad that for them that's been the case. It hasn't been our experience though.

In the past I've found it was easy....but then i didn't have kids and i was very flexible over hours and location.and when i was desperate i did whatever job was available..so yeah easy.....now with a family it's more tricky. I'm now facing redundancy again but this time it scares me. I need to be able to work school hours so that i don't have to rely on childcare and i need a certain level of pay. That's going to be trickier. Yes i could take any job but that means I'll either have to take a cut in wages (which i can't afford) or work Longer hours...still for less money once you take out childcare costs. It really isn't all that easy for everyone. "

This is my issue as well x

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Wisbech and A47 corridor

The one thing that sticks in my mind is how I would do any job at all if I needed the money . Even preparing chicken at a kfc and I'm a life long vegetarian . It was all I could do at the time as I was a baker working from midnight till 8 , window cleaner from 9 till 12 , slept till 6 then kfc from 7 till 11 . I was 17 and had a child and my first house so needs must ...."

I have had lots of jobs . During student days , I have worked inside furnaces when some of the bricks were still warm , driven an overhead gantry crane , worked in a steel works re lining acid tanks , cleaned out filthy oil tanks , in addition to working in a number of bakeries ,doing gardening, delivering beds and pulling apples .

It should however be noted that while some of these jobs were extremely well paid , none of them would realistically provide a long term future career .

It was hard work studying at University and obtaining a professional qualification subsequently , however the end result justified the time spent .

I have worked on both an employed and self employed basis .

On one occasion when I was made redundant it was necessary to work at least seventy miles from home and in addition incur additional accommodation costs . Whilst I had the back up of a substantial redundancy package combined with other income , I wanted to ensure that none of this income was spent on day to day affairs .

From experience , I have found that work is always available , but you may have to travel a substantial distance and incur considerable costs to obtain it . This may not be feasible if your role is lowly paid or you have family members to look after .

In addition only a very limited number of people have the skills or resources to start their own business. ( which is just as well - how many additional businesses want additional competition . )

Applying for jobs myself atm. Not completely out of work but need a lot extra. In my experience getting too qualified in a niche subject can be a curse. You wait for dead mens shoes in the expectation you'll get good work eventually and working in general jobs will weaken your CV and take time out from maintaning your skill at a high level. Therefore you end up living a shit life-style with bugger-all income being bloody amazing at something nobody wants to pay you for! It's part of the great lottery of life!

The one thing that sticks in my mind is how I would do any job at all if I needed the money . Even preparing chicken at a kfc and I'm a life long vegetarian . It was all I could do at the time as I was a baker working from midnight till 8 , window cleaner from 9 till 12 , slept till 6 then kfc from 7 till 11 . I was 17 and had a child and my first house so needs must ....

I have had lots of jobs . During student days , I have worked inside furnaces when some of the bricks were still warm , driven an overhead gantry crane , worked in a steel works re lining acid tanks , cleaned out filthy oil tanks , in addition to working in a number of bakeries ,doing gardening, delivering beds and pulling apples .

It should however be noted that while some of these jobs were extremely well paid , none of them would realistically provide a long term future career .

It was hard work studying at University and obtaining a professional qualification subsequently , however the end result justified the time spent .

I have worked on both an employed and self employed basis .

On one occasion when I was made redundant it was necessary to work at least seventy miles from home and in addition incur additional accommodation costs . Whilst I had the back up of a substantial redundancy package combined with other income , I wanted to ensure that none of this income was spent on day to day affairs .

From experience , I have found that work is always available , but you may have to travel a substantial distance and incur considerable costs to obtain it . This may not be feasible if your role is lowly paid or you have family members to look after .

In addition only a very limited number of people have the skills or resources to start their own business. ( which is just as well - how many additional businesses want additional competition . ) "

Very, very true!

"

In addition only a very limited number of people have the skills or resources to start their own business. ( which is just as well - how many additional businesses want additional competition . ) "

This is simply not true. If you travel round any developing country you will see how enterprising people can be when they need to be. There are few countries in the world where its easier to start a company than the UK.

in the 20 years I've been left school, I've been unemployed total of about a year (that's a month here or there), I've been unemployed coming up for four weeks now (my choice due to relocation) but I got a job that's starts very soon, as soon as I moved here I had three inter_iews within a couple of days.

However my ex husband, over his twenty years has been employed for only five of them, I let him be a stay at home day for 13 of those years, purely because I wanted a quiet life, his last job last year lasted 6 months and had been unemployed for ten months, in this time he has spent most of his days round his friends and drinking his benefits away and has fell into a job without trying through his girlfriend, had she not come along he would

Still be happy sitting on his arse all day using every trick in the book

G x

"

However my ex husband, over his twenty years has been employed for only five of them, I let him be a stay at home day for 13 of those years, purely because I wanted a quiet life, his last job last year lasted 6 months and had been unemployed for ten months, in this time he has spent most of his days round his friends and drinking his benefits away and has fell into a job without trying through his girlfriend, had she not come along he would still be happy sitting on his arse all day using every trick in the book

G x"

Then you ask people like that why they don't have a job and they say "fucking immigrants have taken all of them"!!

"

However my ex husband, over his twenty years has been employed for only five of them, I let him be a stay at home day for 13 of those years, purely because I wanted a quiet life, his last job last year lasted 6 months and had been unemployed for ten months, in this time he has spent most of his days round his friends and drinking his benefits away and has fell into a job without trying through his girlfriend, had she not come along he would still be happy sitting on his arse all day using every trick in the book

G x

Then you ask people like that why they don't have a job and they say "fucking immigrants have taken all of them"!! "

Yup!! Pretty much, he's one of these 'it costs so much on public transport' 'the hours aren't good for the kids'

My kids are all at secondary school now so being at home for an hour or so won't harm them (although this new job with his gfs company, he won't be home for over three hours after they get home, so the bullshit he was coming out with is now null and void!)

"

G x

Then you ask people like that why they don't have a job and they say "fucking immigrants have taken all of them"!!

Yup!! Pretty much, he's one of these 'it costs so much on public transport' 'the hours aren't good for the kids'

My kids are all at secondary school now so being at home for an hour or so won't harm them (although this new job with his gfs company, he won't be home for over three hours after they get home, so the bullshit he was coming out with is now null and void!)"

My friend's got a girlfriend, man he hates that bitch. He tells me every day! She sits on her ass,

he works his hands to the bone,

to give her money every payday.

But she wants more dinero just to stay at home!!

"When redundancies were in the offing lots oft colleagues said they weren't worried because they would go and work in Tesco if it came to it, they were quite shocked to discover that you couldn't just walk in to a job like that. It's fine to say you will do any job...but the job needs to be there in the first place and you need to be successful in getting it in the second.

Aye I know what you mean....starting to think I've been a wee bit lucky with timing / availability!

Reading your post about walking out twice I'd say you have been very fortunate.

I understand that you didn't feel up to working but it's a very understanding employer that lets a walk out happen twice.

"

I didn't tell him about my circumstances....I just never went to work or even phoned in!

Got my job back because I'm a grafter n the guys on site I was building jobs for asked my boss to give me my job back......He initially refused when I asked him first!

By *ucyfur77Woman  over a year ago

Pleasuretown

"I was unemployed for 3 months there and thought I was going insane. It's not that easy for all of us, sadly.

It's awful!"

I can relate

Nr Worksop

"I was unemployed for 3 months there and thought I was going insane. It's not that easy for all of us, sadly.

It's awful!

I can relate "

She's totally at her wits end. Then you get posts like this.

Hope something comes along for you x

By *ustinCredible.Man  over a year ago

warrington

I've had long periods of unemployment the longest being 3 years while I was at uni, and a year while I was caring for my dad.

When I tried getting a job after uni I found that very difficult but had several dead end jobs where I worked 50+ hours a week for minimum wage and hated that I wasn't doing what I spent 3 years studying for.

When my dad passed I was very lucky to land a teaching job and spent 2 years doing that until this week where I'm starting a new job as a chef.

Getting a job isn't difficult its getting a job that's going to make you happy that's the hard part.

Sure, enjoy your good fortune but don't sink to buying the hate that Goebbels etc have amused themselves with at your cost and perils "

Nah,I've already said above I've been very lucky.

There have been numerous times in the past I've struggled to find suitable work.....also there has been a few times I couldn't be arsed working n didn't even bother to look .

I'm not knocking anyone n if I was it wouldn't be thinly veiled.

By *ucyfur77Woman  over a year ago

Pleasuretown

It's awful!

I can relate

She's totally at her wits end. Then you get posts like this.

Hope something comes along for you x"

Appreciate that, thank you x

I'll rephrase for those that have taken offence.....

There's work if you really want....if you're prepared to do back breaking labour for shit money or jobs that a lot of people would turn their noses up at.

It really boils down to how much you really want to work.....n what kind of work you're prepared to do.

Again I'm not knocking anyone,I've worked crap low paying jobs in the past (yesterday and today being the most recent) to get money.

There have also been times I've turned my nose up at such jobs n thought to myself fuck that for a laugh.

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"I'll rephrase for those that have taken offence.....

There's work if you really want....if you're prepared to do back breaking labour for shit money or jobs that a lot of people would turn their noses up at.

It really boils down to how much you really want to work.....n what kind of work you're prepared to do.

"

1m+ immigrants since 2004 agree with this post

1m+ immigrants since 2004 agree with this post "

I'm sure they do

I should have titled the thread 'So I found a job' or something like that.

Forgot this is the fab forum where folk go looking to get offended.

Central

I don't care what you do for work or if you have a job or call yourself professional.

I do care that you respect others, including myself.

I am not the embodiment of my career or fortune. I am me and you can like me or otherwise but assume that I don't care about that if you're a c@nt and choose not to have decency and respect others for who they are.

"I don't care what you do for work or if you have a job or call yourself professional.

I am not the embodiment of my career or fortune. I am me and you can like me or otherwise but assume that I don't care about that if you're a c@nt and choose not to have decency and respect others for who they are. "

You insinuated I'm a cunt,I'm offended you think I'm as useful and desired as that!

Again I'm not knocking anyone,I've worked crap low paying jobs in the past (yesterday and today being the most recent) to get money.

There have also been times I've turned my nose up at such jobs n thought to myself fuck that for a laugh."

It's not a matter of turning your noses up at a job, it's a matter of having a mortgage and bills to pay and a job at minimum wage just isn't going to cut it. So yes if forced into it then you'd have to compromise and find a way. It would be a hard struggle so obviously for most that would be a last resort. But don't pretend it's easy. And don't make it sound like people are just being precious about it.

By *mber GamblerCouple  over a year ago

rugby

I think you just got lucky. My daughter tried really hard to get a job. Couldn't. Ended up having to leave her home as she couldn't afford the rent. Finally six months later, she got a job. She worked her arse off to get it.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

1m+ immigrants since 2004 agree with this post

I'm sure they do

I should have titled the thread 'So I found a job' or something like that.

Forgot this is the fab forum where folk go looking to get offended."

No I just disagree with you and think that you imagine your experience applies to everyone. I'm not offended and I'm happy that finding work is easy for you I've seen the devastating effects that unemployment can have on someone who genuinely wants to work and can't find a job that will keep a roof over their family's head.

There are quite a few ex steel workers and BHS employees who will disagree with you too.

Depends on the job you do or are willing to do

Central

"I don't care what you do for work or if you have a job or call yourself professional.

I am not the embodiment of my career or fortune. I am me and you can like me or otherwise but assume that I don't care about that if you're a c@nt and choose not to have decency and respect others for who they are.

You insinuated I'm a cunt,I'm offended you think I'm as useful and desired as that!

"

I'm very direct and don't insinuate - it's not my style. I don't know you.

"I think you just got lucky. My daughter tried really hard to get a job. Couldn't. Ended up having to leave her home as she couldn't afford the rent. Finally six months later, she got a job. She worked her arse off to get it. "

I'm glad your daughter came out the otherside.

There is work if you want it - but not necessarily the work you want. In the most literal sense there are always jobs available. But they're not always in the right sector, with the right hours or in the right location to fit with the other commitments in people's lives. Life is a big set of choices. You choose to have children, you choose that your job options are going to be more restricted for a period of time. It's not the way it should be in a perfect world, but it's not a perfect world and it's the way it is. That's the downside you get for the privilege of being able to have a family.

Good news on your job OP. Construction sector really seems to be picking up down here, so long may it continue

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"

In addition only a very limited number of people have the skills or resources to start their own business. ( which is just as well - how many additional businesses want additional competition . )

This is simply not true. If you travel round any developing country you will see how enterprising people can be when they need to be. There are few countries in the world where its easier to start a company than the UK. "

I have tried and failed . When I say failed , I was not prepared to risk incurring any further losses or lose any assets that I already had .

Starting a businness is not easy of something tbat should be considered lightly .

How do you obtain a customer base ?. What makes people think they can do things better than existing businnesses ?. The reality is that many start up businnsses fail.

"There is work if you want it - but not necessarily the work you want. In the most literal sense there are always jobs available. But they're not always in the right sector, with the right hours or in the right location to fit with the other commitments in people's lives. Life is a big set of choices. You choose to have children, you choose that your job options are going to be more restricted for a period of time. It's not the way it should be in a perfect world, but it's not a perfect world and it's the way it is. That's the downside you get for the privilege of being able to have a family.

"

Yes absolutely! Having a family was my choice and that it's through my choice to do that I've restricted my options. I think most people accept that and is something they consider when deciding to have children. So yes there is work if you want it but i realise that to find the work i want it's going to take effort. I'm willing to do that if it's the difference between a nice stable life for my family or the alternative of losing the house because i accept a job that pays the minimum.

Always found a job when I looked for it.

Iv worked, and paid the rent for the roof over my head since I was 17, in life it's only right that you get out of it what you put in, sit to on your arse, your just still gunna be sat on your arse in time to come, the world rewards people that learn to look in the right places, even after the system tries to hold you back,

"There is work if you want it - but not necessarily the work you want. In the most literal sense there are always jobs available. But they're not always in the right sector, with the right hours or in the right location to fit with the other commitments in people's lives. Life is a big set of choices. You choose to have children, you choose that your job options are going to be more restricted for a period of time. It's not the way it should be in a perfect world, but it's not a perfect world and it's the way it is. That's the downside you get for the privilege of being able to have a family.

Good news on your job OP. Construction sector really seems to be picking up down here, so long may it continue

"

But here's the rub. In the global market, the UK has to compete for trade. Whilst British citizens have the luxury of considering all those things above, there are hundreds of millions of people around the world who leave their home towns, leave their children with their parents and work 70+ hours a week. In return they only want an average of £3,600 a year compared to £27,000 in the UK. I'm talking about China here as an example.

I'm not saying that its a good thing to have to make such sacrifices and I definitely wouldn't want to do them. I'm just saying that people can't act so surprised that jobs are moving to China / eastern Europe / India where they would more hours, are more flexible for their employer and for less money!

The only way to compete with that is productivity by the way, I'm not suggesting we cut our wages.

"Iv worked, and paid the rent for the roof over my head since I was 17, in life it's only right that you get out of it what you put in, sit to on your arse, your just still gunna be sat on your arse in time to come, the world rewards people that learn to look in the right places, even after the system tries to hold you back, "

4 years in work! Well done

"

This is simply not true. If you travel round any developing country you will see how enterprising people can be when they need to be. There are few countries in the world where its easier to start a company than the UK. I have tried and failed . When I say failed , I was not prepared to risk incurring any further losses or lose any assets that I already had .

Starting a businness is not easy of something tbat should be considered lightly .

How do you obtain a customer base ?. What makes people think they can do things better than existing businnesses ?. The reality is that many start up businnsses fail. "

Respect to you for trying though. There's a broad scale in between outright success and outright failure, the fact that you put your money where your mouth is puts you on the right side of that scale to me.

The number one reason start up businesses fail is not cash flow, it's that there isn't a demand for their product / service. Then it's cash flow. But if these businesses didn't try and didn't test the market them we wouldn't have half the things that make our lives easier today.

There is definitely work there if you want it,I get at least half dozen texts pw offering work only downside is that it is all via agency which means absolutely no workers rights no benefits an no security...for a long time it did suit me though as if inwent to a site an didn't like it I just left an got another job...down side is quite often they will tell you what you want to hear just to get you on site then when you do start you find you've been fed pack of lies and to a Lot of employers your just as disposable as a old bic pen ....such is legacy of previous government where money always trumped lives

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

Interestingly, I was reading the Mail on Sunday, in particular the financial pages.

Two articles (ps. 87 & 91);

* 400,000 new jobs: Brexit bonanza goes on

* Stop talking Britain down

And yet whilst talking up the effects of Brexit they're clever enough to bury the following at the end of the the article:

"Economists believe the full effects of the UK's decision to leave the [EU] have yet to be felt. Ruthe Gregory, UK economist at Capital Economics, said: 'It is much too soon to see the effects of the likely deterioration of the labour market and rising inflation - which will undermine real wage growth.

'Sterling's fall will only gradually feed through to materially higher consumer prices over the next few years - although there have been some indications of this higher up the supply chain. And the labour market tends to lag overall economic conditions by at least a few quarters.'"

"Interestingly, I was reading the Mail on Sunday, in particular the financial pages.

Two articles (ps. 87 & 91);

* 400,000 new jobs: Brexit bonanza goes on

* Stop talking Britain down

And yet whilst talking up the effects of Brexit they're clever enough to bury the following at the end of the the article:

"Economists believe the full effects of the UK's decision to leave the [EU] have yet to be felt. Ruthe Gregory, UK economist at Capital Economics, said: 'It is much too soon to see the effects of the likely deterioration of the labour market and rising inflation - which will undermine real wage growth.

'Sterling's fall will only gradually feed through to materially higher consumer prices over the next few years - although there have been some indications of this higher up the supply chain. And the labour market tends to lag overall economic conditions by at least a few quarters.'"

"

Presumably these are the same economists who earned their reputation by screaming "DANGER, DANGER" in 2006 & 2007 just before the financial crisis?

I thought not.

Great news for you op, and I'm glad you found it so easy!

I've recently moved to a new area and I started putting in the leg work for jobs here before I even moved. Cv sent out about 50 times. Applied for anything and everything in my field, most didn't get back to me. 5 inter_iews and deemed to over qualified and I think that they thought I was trying to come in and take over. I just wanted a job!

I got offered one job on a zero hours contract which I took and continued applying for other stuff. Nothing turned up so went back to original job offer and have now got a permanent hours contract, thank goodness! I start the week after next, but it's been a rough few weeks and I'm now broker than a broken thing!

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"There is definitely work there if you want it,I get at least half dozen texts pw offering work only downside is that it is all via agency which means absolutely no workers rights no benefits an no security...for a long time it did suit me though as if inwent to a site an didn't like it I just left an got another job...down side is quite often they will tell you what you want to hear just to get you on site then when you do start you find you've been fed pack of lies and to a Lot of employers your just as disposable as a old bic pen ....such is legacy of previous government where money always trumped lives "
this a thousand times over even on govt jobs website company name withheld ..... apply to ..... click apply and its yet another agency paying minimum wage whilst charging the company £15-18per hour no pension no holidays no rights what so ever

"Great news for you op, and I'm glad you found it so easy!

I've recently moved to a new area and I started putting in the leg work for jobs here before I even moved. Cv sent out about 50 times. Applied for anything and everything in my field, most didn't get back to me. 5 inter_iews and deemed to over qualified and I think that they thought I was trying to come in and take over. I just wanted a job!

I got offered one job on a zero hours contract which I took and continued applying for other stuff. Nothing turned up so went back to original job offer and have now got a permanent hours contract, thank goodness! I start the week after next, but it's been a rough few weeks and I'm now broker than a broken thing!"

Have you considered freelancing on sites like upwork as an interim? The fact that you get turned down for being over qualified suggests you have some skills that are marketable...

"Great news for you op, and I'm glad you found it so easy!

I got offered one job on a zero hours contract which I took and continued applying for other stuff. Nothing turned up so went back to original job offer and have now got a permanent hours contract, thank goodness! I start the week after next, but it's been a rough few weeks and I'm now broker than a broken thing!

Have you considered freelancing on sites like upwork as an interim? The fact that you get turned down for being over qualified suggests you have some skills that are marketable... "

I plan to get going with this job and then investigate further doing training for people who work with children. I know I have the experience and qualifications. For me it's just been about getting a job so that I can avoid the job centre and earning some money.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I am helping a friend who is recruiting for a FTSE companies's Apprentice Programme. It is a week of Inter_iews, Group Exercises and Role Play. I did one day last week.

10 were scheduled in

6 turned up

1 left after the inter_iew as she didn't feel strong enough to participate further

5 went forward

4 got placed

Circa £18k starting salary

Will see what tomorrow brings??

In fairness, the ones placed were fantastic examples of really focused young people, great in the group exercise and really clear and concise in what they seek, what they bring, what they need and what they will deliver.

I'm not justifying my life, but I live in a seaside town, which basically lends itself to seasonal jobs & zero hour contracts and those can get literally hundreds of applications - I apply for 20+ jobs per week, lots and lots of experience in customer service but I've had one inter_iew all summer in a zero hour contract coffee shop, which I didn't get and it wouldn't be productive to run my home on that kind of money.

But... I am bettering myself! I've been taking a ECDL course which gets me out of the house every weekday afternoon, it's given me confidence that I can achieve things and when I complete it, it'll give me a much better chance in getting a job in admin roles.

I think if people who are unemployed were passed onto services which provide courses like the one I'm taking they'd be feeling better and more productive for it - and have a better chance at finding a decent job.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I thought you had a role and there was an issue with your salary. On the checkout or something.

Or I have mixed you up with someone, apologies if I did

"I thought you had a role and there was an issue with your salary. On the checkout or something.

"

No, that was me - long story!

I got made redundent got a new job a month after so yes there is work

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"I thought you had a role and there was an issue with your salary. On the checkout or something.

No, that was me - long story!"

Cool, I hope you got the salary issue sorted

No, that was me - long story!

Cool, I hope you got the salary issue sorted

"

I did, five weeks of going back & forth about it, it got rectified in about an hour with a phone call from the right person

I think the problem is people are fussy about where they look for work i will work anywhere i can get it from sweeping the streets with my 14 year old broom to selling on markets with dodgy car radios.

By *retty FolliesCouple (FF)  over a year ago

south

"I'm not justifying my life, but I live in a seaside town, which basically lends itself to seasonal jobs & zero hour contracts and those can get literally hundreds of applications - I apply for 20+ jobs per week, lots and lots of experience in customer service but I've had one inter_iew all summer in a zero hour contract coffee shop, which I didn't get and it wouldn't be productive to run my home on that kind of money.

But... I am bettering myself! I've been taking a ECDL course which gets me out of the house every weekday afternoon, it's given me confidence that I can achieve things and when I complete it, it'll give me a much better chance in getting a job in admin roles.

I think if people who are unemployed were passed onto services which provide courses like the one I'm taking they'd be feeling better and more productive for it - and have a better chance at finding a decent job."

Guessing from your age this would have been quite a problem for quite a number of years, if you have always lived in the area you do now.

Maybe consider leaving like lots do in Seaside towns in order to improve your chances.....as I would gather employment opportunities would still be very much the same for many years to come..

"There is definitely work there if you want it,I get at least half dozen texts pw offering work only downside is that it is all via agency which means absolutely no workers rights no benefits an no security...for a long time it did suit me though as if inwent to a site an didn't like it I just left an got another job...down side is quite often they will tell you what you want to hear just to get you on site then when you do start you find you've been fed pack of lies and to a Lot of employers your just as disposable as a old bic pen ....such is legacy of previous government where money always trumped lives this a thousand times over even on govt jobs website company name withheld ..... apply to ..... click apply and its yet another agency paying minimum wage whilst charging the company £15-18per hour no pension no holidays no rights what so ever "

Agree with you both,while agencies do offer more flexibility,that's about the only good thing about them.....parasitic leaches!

N then there's those fucking umbrella companies that they outsource the responsibility of paying you to!

I'm a pretty mellow guy but whenever I've worked through an agency it's wound me right up at times!

» Add a new message to this topic