FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Car dealerships- What planet are they on?

Car dealerships- What planet are they on?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *-and-K OP   Couple  over a year ago

Back of Beyond

Spent 4 hours today driving around car dealerships with Karen and our lad. He's after a newish car and had an idea of what he wanted, now the hard bit.

8 main dealerships later and he has a car, but NONE of them are willing to bargain. In todays tough economic climate not single one offered money off for cash. We aren't talking a cheap car here. He had 8 thousand in cash and still not a single dealer was willing to negotiate!

After going through the attempt to bargain with one of them (Motor Depot) for some sort of deal, the salesman even said they were willing to lose a deal on a car worth £7700 rather than offer to pay the £30 road tax for us.

I am just surprised they sell any cars at all with that attitude, and as I said, its not just them, it was all the dealerships we visited this morning. The market is saturated with cars yet none of them will offer discounts of any sort.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

did you see the one on sky news where they beat up customers who complain.

they are based in heathrow and so far trading standards are not dealing with them.

im sure they will piss off the wrong person soon and because they are violent one of them will be seriously dealt with.

nemesis. actions connected with retribution

feck em - let the cars sit still and drop in price and time - if they cant shift em they will soon have to deal em

cars now its better to really broaden your range of how far you will go to look - offer your deal and fuck em and walk out if they say nay - and private sellers now too is probably the better second hand option

but hope your all happy with the new wheels

should see what has happened to the motorbike sales.

yamaha have put over £1000 on top of models and other manufactors have followed suit.

a fireblade or R1 is now in the same price bracket as a ducati which many consider a luxury motorbike.

and is why the second hand market dominates because people are pissed off with expensive insurances and high expenses just running your car/bike.

Back of Beyond

He is. From a 15 year old renault clio on its last legs to a 10 month old Hyundai I20. Forget the car the selling point for him was that it had connections for a usb port and his iPhone, go figure

cos they dont like cash . they want you to have it on hp they make more money

go back ask for finance, watch the sales mans eyes light up.

to be fair in the main dealer world £8000 is not a lot of money in cash, but on hp that £8000 becomes far more attractive to them.

By *ouplefunukCouple  over a year ago

North Bristol

Thing is tho, they didn't have to haggle did they? You bought the car anyway. If enough people walked away, they'd have to change their tunes.

*Her*

When we purchased our last car the dealership would not accept cash at all as they said they were governed by some kind of money laundering rules

"When we purchased our last car the dealership would not accept cash at all as they said they were governed by some kind of money laundering rules"

yes i think that maybe true now since the law changed.

why if you got the cash you would be better off arranging a bank transfer.

weve always managed to get a deal on cars, the thing is to shop around and dont be to quick to get your money out, most will give a sill trade in price on your old car as it doesnt show up as a discount, so instead of asking for money off the new car ask for a bigger trade in

By *heWolfMan  over a year ago

warwickshire

The thing is, car dealers don't make vast amounts of profit on new cars, on an 8 grand car he'd have been making less than 10 percent, chicken feed if you have 25 cars sitting waiting to be sold. Franchisees are encouraged, certainly by one manufacturer I did some work for, to maximise servicing and spares revenue to compensate for the shitty margins on new stock.

Why anyone would want to open a dealership and buy loads of stock and have it sitting there is beyond me, but there must be something in it for them.

If the car's been sitting there for a while, in a nice showroom, perhaps the dealer simply can't afford to drop anything on it, there comes a critical point where it's better to hold onto it than discount to the death and hope to make it up on the next sale. If they go tits up, the manufacturer will take back the stock or disperse through other dealers, so they probably have a clause that a dealer cannot drop below a certain price anyway, they cannot allow a feeding frenzy to develop round their failed business partners.

In this climate, perhaps dealers are starting out at rock bottom to get people even thinking about buying. Times are hard (especially for the salesman who is probably on commission).

Look on the bright side - your son's £8k car will be worth the princely sum of £5000, the moment he drove it off the forecourt!

Errrrr, hang on.....DOH!

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

ooh.... glad you are bringing up this subject....

as you all know i am doing the car hunting thing....

i can't believe the price difference between the main car dealerish and the prices that you see on sites like autotrader......

any tips would come in handy

"When we purchased our last car the dealership would not accept cash at all as they said they were governed by some kind of money laundering rules"

I think the 'high cash value' rule begins at £10,000. It's probably the case that the dealer simply didn't want a largish sum of cash on the premises.

"ooh.... glad you are bringing up this subject....

as you all know i am doing the car hunting thing....

i can't believe the price difference between the main car dealerish and the prices that you see on sites like autotrader......

any tips would come in handy"

Yes buy private, if your buying a car thats only a year or so old theres no point buying from a dealer as you'll get the remainder of they manufacturers warranty anyway which can be anything up to 5 years these days and with an hpi check being so low these days its a no brainer.

The used car industry hads always been inhabited by slippery wankers and I'm sure it always will be.

I traded in my 2009 peugeot 207 recently and a 'friend' who worked for a main dealer beside me offerd me 6K for the car ... 6 fucking K for a car which at the time less than 2 years old and had 9000miles on the clock ! I told him to piss off, then he called me back syaing that he had a cracking deal on another car and I would get 'cash back'. Cash back ffs! He wanted me to take finance out on a car which was almost 2 grand cheaper than the loan he wanted me to take out, then I'd get my 'cash back' which I was free to spend in any way that I chose .

So much for mates in the motor trade. Needless to say I told him where to shove it, went elswhere and got £7200 part x for my car - quite a bit different from the 6K my 'friend' offered me, not to mention his shifty, slippery 'deal'

Tossers - the lot of them

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

"

Tossers - the lot of them"

Jason sells cars and he's bloody good at it and has never ripped anyone off.

He works for a smaller garage where they will fix anything that goes wrong, give a good deal and have so many repeat customers its brilliant. They take cash or do HP and they will bargain.

He also supplies most of my soliders and not one of them has complained. He also supplies my family, including my girls and if you think I'd let them drive a car that he hadn't checked and chosen for them, you would be very much mistaken.

There are good car sales men out there, you just need to find them.

So personally, I find the "Tossers - the lot of them" quote, highly offensive.

Just because your mate may have tried to rip you off, doesn't mean that they all will.

"The used car industry hads always been inhabited by slippery wankers and I'm sure it always will be.

I traded in my 2009 peugeot 207 recently and a 'friend' who worked for a main dealer beside me offerd me 6K for the car ... 6 fucking K for a car which at the time less than 2 years old and had 9000miles on the clock ! I told him to piss off, then he called me back syaing that he had a cracking deal on another car and I would get 'cash back'. Cash back ffs! He wanted me to take finance out on a car which was almost 2 grand cheaper than the loan he wanted me to take out, then I'd get my 'cash back' which I was free to spend in any way that I chose .

So much for mates in the motor trade. Needless to say I told him where to shove it, went elswhere and got £7200 part x for my car - quite a bit different from the 6K my 'friend' offered me, not to mention his shifty, slippery 'deal'

Tossers - the lot of them"

Thats a bit of a generalisation is it not ? i think you should choose your mates a little more carefully rather than take such a wide swipe at a whole industry

There are two ways of taking money from people who'd rather not part with it - theft and deceit.

I've not heard reports of car salespeople using theft as a 'sales technique'.

I don't know what the wining is all about. They tell you the price they are selling for its not hidden. If you don't like it then you don't buy it. Everyone has to make a living though. If they are greedy then you won't buy. If you won't pay enough they won't sell. And a cash discount dosn't give any extra profit to them so why should they give discount. The simple answer is if you don't like the price don't buy no one is forcing you to.

"I don't know what the wining is all about. They tell you the price they are selling for its not hidden. If you don't like it then you don't buy it. Everyone has to make a living though. If they are greedy then you won't buy. If you won't pay enough they won't sell. And a cash discount dosn't give any extra profit to them so why should they give discount. The simple answer is if you don't like the price don't buy no one is forcing you to. "

That'd be the deceit as opposed to the theft model.

"I don't know what the wining is all about. They tell you the price they are selling for its not hidden. If you don't like it then you don't buy it. Everyone has to make a living though. If they are greedy then you won't buy. If you won't pay enough they won't sell. And a cash discount dosn't give any extra profit to them so why should they give discount. The simple answer is if you don't like the price don't buy no one is forcing you to.

That'd be the deceit as opposed to the theft model."

Deceit? I know you are a jock so not used to having much money but there is no deceit if there is a price on the windscreen.

"I don't know what the wining is all about. They tell you the price they are selling for its not hidden. If you don't like it then you don't buy it. Everyone has to make a living though. If they are greedy then you won't buy. If you won't pay enough they won't sell. And a cash discount dosn't give any extra profit to them so why should they give discount. The simple answer is if you don't like the price don't buy no one is forcing you to.

Deceit? I know you are a jock so not used to having much money but there is no deceit if there is a price on the windscreen. "

The least of my problems is money but anyone who assumes there's any relationship between the windscreen price and the impact on the weight of their sporran (to continue the 'Jock' metaphor) is kidding themselves.

The "price on the windscreen" is no more than an invitation to trade.

That'd be the deceit as opposed to the theft model."

Explain deceit! Quoteing without an explanation suggests you are either lacking knowledge or just seeking attention. So explain deceit.

Explain deceit! Quoteing without an explanation suggests you are either lacking knowledge or just seeking attention. So explain deceit. "

Deceit is when you don't get what you believe you were promised.

Explain deceit! Quoteing without an explanation suggests you are either lacking knowledge or just seeking attention. So explain deceit.

Deceit is when you don't get what you believe you were promised."

Look i am well aware what the word means i am asking you to put it into context of the thread. Please do that as i fail to see how anyone but a fool would part with cash when things are clearly explained at the point of sale.

So once again Explain deceit (in the context of the thread)

Back of Beyond

Explain deceit! Quoteing without an explanation suggests you are either lacking knowledge or just seeking attention. So explain deceit. "

Deceit- I'll give it a go for you. Windscreen sticker price "Was £7500, now reduced to £7200-£300 off today only"

So you get the salesman out and start going over the usual and he then comes out with.... "Its reduced today by £300 as you can see. But we do have an additional charge on top of £298, that is for valeting, HPI check, road tax and fuel before it leaves us"

Now that is deceit!

I pointed out the fact on that model the road tax was £30, I'd happily give them the £30 and forego the HPI check, which my son did on his phone while stood there for £3, The car was 10 months old and didn't need valeting.

The salesman refused, the car could only be sold with the 'extras' as offered.

Another nail in the coffin of national dealerships.

The same car that I was going to buy via a friend, mentioned earlier in this thread, was in the showroom with a pricetag of, 7grand (I can't remember the exact figure but that is for arguments sake) I was told that if I agreed to buy the car today that he'd nock a full grand off the car - sounds like a bargain yeah ?

When I went home and looked through some of the old newspapers from 3 weeks prior and guess what ? The very same car listed at 6 grand ! So it was originally 6grand, then upped to 7grand so that a prospective buyer would get a grand 'discount' in an effort to clinch the deal, meaning that the dealer would get exactly what he wanted for the car in the first place - Nice!

I think that could also be classed as deceit ??

And this wasn't a pissy back street garage either - It was Bristol Street Motors at Morpeth.

Shame on them

» Add a new message to this topic