FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Back in Time for Brixton

Back in Time for Brixton

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I love the 'Back in Time' series and really enjoying this one.

We've had the 'no colour bar' dance in Lambeth, the start of carnival, steel pan and now dominoes.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

dominoes !!!! they haven't got to my time yet but i am having family flashbacks....

this is really cool.... this is what my mum use to tell us about....

"dominoes !!!! they haven't got to my time yet but i am having family flashbacks....

this is really cool.... this is what my mum use to tell us about...."

My Dad used to make the kids think he could read their minds by telling each of them exactly which dominoes they were holding and which ones to play.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"dominoes !!!! they haven't got to my time yet but i am having family flashbacks....

this is really cool.... this is what my mum use to tell us about...."

There was a night club in Reading back when I was a teenager (long time ago, I think it was called the After Dark Club) but if you went through a little door in the back there was like a pub arrangement, I discovered this one night and walked through this portal.

I was greeted by a group of elderly guys of West Indian descent; who taught me how to play dominoes and drink rum; genuinely wonderful experience... I wonder if its still there... It was so weird having this little bar/pub attached to the back of the club....

Happy days... ((wanders off reminiscing))

By *icassolifelikeMan  over a year ago

Luton

My Dad used to make the kids think he could read their minds by telling each of them exactly which dominoes they were holding and which ones to play.

"

I used to play with my Grandad. That and Cribbage.

There was a night club in Reading back when I was a teenager (long time ago, I think it was called the After Dark Club) but if you went through a little door in the back there was like a pub arrangement, I discovered this one night and walked through this portal.

I was greeted by a group of elderly guys of West Indian descent; who taught me how to play dominoes and drink rum; genuinely wonderful experience... I wonder if its still there... It was so weird having this little bar/pub attached to the back of the club....

Happy days... ((wanders off reminiscing))"

How lovely!

The three nurses have brought a lump to my throat.

We're in my era now.

My father's side of the family all ended up in Brixton when they emigrated into England. Then gradually they moved away looking for work. My great grandad ended up cycling to Norfolk for work, then to Devon! He would have had very muscular legs, if he hadn't been on the edge of starvation.

That was very touching. I remember our start in a bedsit.

I'm looking forward to next week.

"My father's side of the family all ended up in Brixton when they emigrated into England. Then gradually they moved away looking for work. My great grandad ended up cycling to Norfolk for work, then to Devon! He would have had very muscular legs, if he hadn't been on the edge of starvation. "

Wow! Norfolk to Devon.

My Dad just drove from Cambridge to London.

"My father's side of the family all ended up in Brixton when they emigrated into England. Then gradually they moved away looking for work. My great grandad ended up cycling to Norfolk for work, then to Devon! He would have had very muscular legs, if he hadn't been on the edge of starvation.

Wow! Norfolk to Devon.

My Dad just drove from Cambridge to London."

No one else was going to help. If you want to eat you have to work. If you want to work, you've got to find it! I think they were all the same situation.

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

I'll know it when I find it.

This show has made me quite nostalgic. I sadly didn't get to see my grandfather before he passed but I remember my first taste of rum was with him, the dominoes set that he gave to me engraved with my name when I was little and all the tales he would regale me with of Brixton back then. I've always struggled with that side of my heritage for various reasons but seeing how my father and family spent their childhood has made me proud of everything my family has done.

By *anes HubbyCouple  over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

Absolutely fantastic programme, reminded me of my trips up to Brixton every Saturday for records that we couldn't get locally in Bromley.

"My father's side of the family all ended up in Brixton when they emigrated into England. Then gradually they moved away looking for work. My great grandad ended up cycling to Norfolk for work, then to Devon! He would have had very muscular legs, if he hadn't been on the edge of starvation.

Wow! Norfolk to Devon.

No one else was going to help. If you want to eat you have to work. If you want to work, you've got to find it! I think they were all the same situation. "

I understand that. We faced the same.

Awww I missed it

Kinky

"This show has made me quite nostalgic. I sadly didn't get to see my grandfather before he passed but I remember my first taste of rum was with him, the dominoes set that he gave to me engraved with my name when I was little and all the tales he would regale me with of Brixton back then. I've always struggled with that side of my heritage for various reasons but seeing how my father and family spent their childhood has made me proud of everything my family has done. "

Dual heritage can be difficult to reconcile. We can feel like we don't fit anywhere. It's lovely to read that you are now feeling proud of that heritage.

"Awww I missed it

Kinky "

It's BBC so iPlayer to the rescue. It's well worth watching.

"Awww I missed it

Kinky

"

Thank you x

Wow! Norfolk to Devon.

No one else was going to help. If you want to eat you have to work. If you want to work, you've got to find it! I think they were all the same situation.

I understand that. We faced the same.

"

Fantastic !! Just watched it x

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"Awww I missed it

Kinky

"

It was very good - did you remember to see the Peter York on on Hipsters?

By *0tt0nSu3Woman  over a year ago

London

Happy days... ((wanders off reminiscing))"

They used to be called shoobins. I don't know if I spelt it correctly, but it is a deviation from the word 'shove in'. I think the Americans would call it a 'speak easy'.

It was prolific in the 60's. You sometimes see an odd one about now and then. The Friday before they set up the barriers for the Notting Hill carnival, when the police and community are mellow, you'd see them complete with domino tables. I haven't been to the carnival for at least 10 years, so I think they've gone now.

There used to be loads of shoobins in Soho too. Not West Indian, but still made up of locals to that community. Last one I remember was one in Greek street, kind of opposite the church. Bet that's a swanky apartment now.

London has changed. A lot.

London

[Removed by poster at 22/11/16 07:38:21]

London

"This show has made me quite nostalgic. I sadly didn't get to see my grandfather before he passed but I remember my first taste of rum was with him, the dominoes set that he gave to me engraved with my name when I was little and all the tales he would regale me with of Brixton back then. I've always struggled with that side of my heritage for various reasons but seeing how my father and family spent their childhood has made me proud of everything my family has done.

Dual heritage can be difficult to reconcile. We can feel like we don't fit anywhere. It's lovely to read that you are now feeling proud of that heritage.

"

Dual heritage can be difficult to reconcile. That is true, but it is possible.

I was born here, but spent my childhood in the Caribbean. Sometimes I am made to feel a stranger in both countries. I'm stuck between a first generation and second generation immigrant, but I'm not quite an immigrant because I'm a Brit. I am a child of immigrants who had British citizenship. So they're British too. (The confusion continues...)

But hey, I'm me. That's my makeup. My DNA. Take it or leave it. Others need to deal with that shit, not me. I've got a life to live...

PS. I do recommend the book 'Windrush' by Mike & Trevor Phillips, which looks at the movement of people from the Caribbean from the Windrush up to the late 80's and 90's. I reminisced a lot with that one. I even knew some of the contributors from my childhood!

'Lonely Londoners' by Sam Seldon is the reminders of the 'no blacks,Irish or dogs signs plastered about the place.

OK, nostalgic ramblings over!

"Awww I missed it

Kinky

It was very good - did you remember to see the Peter York on on Hipsters?"

No, but it's the Beeb so it will reappear soon.

They used to be called shoobins. I don't know if I spelt it correctly, but it is a deviation from the word 'shove in'. I think the Americans would call it a 'speak easy'.

It was prolific in the 60's. You sometimes see an odd one about now and then. The Friday before they set up the barriers for the Notting Hill carnival, when the police and community are mellow, you'd see them complete with domino tables. I haven't been to the carnival for at least 10 years, so I think they've gone now.

There used to be loads of shoobins in Soho too. Not West Indian, but still made up of locals to that community. Last one I remember was one in Greek street, kind of opposite the church. Bet that's a swanky apartment now.

London has changed. A lot. "

I thought they were called Shebeens... that's what we always called them, along with the Irish.

"This show has made me quite nostalgic. I sadly didn't get to see my grandfather before he passed but I remember my first taste of rum was with him, the dominoes set that he gave to me engraved with my name when I was little and all the tales he would regale me with of Brixton back then. I've always struggled with that side of my heritage for various reasons but seeing how my father and family spent their childhood has made me proud of everything my family has done.

I was born here, but spent my childhood in the Caribbean. Sometimes I am made to feel a stranger in both countries. I'm stuck between a first generation and second generation immigrant, but I'm not quite an immigrant because I'm a Brit. I am a child of immigrants who had British citizenship. So they're British too. (The confusion continues...)

But hey, I'm me. That's my makeup. My DNA. Take it or leave it. Others need to deal with that shit, not me. I've got a life to live...

PS. I do recommend the book 'Windrush' by Mike & Trevor Phillips, which looks at the movement of people from the Caribbean from the Windrush up to the late 80's and 90's. I reminisced a lot with that one. I even knew some of the contributors from my childhood!

'Lonely Londoners' by Sam Seldon is the reminders of the 'no blacks,Irish or dogs signs plastered about the place.

OK, nostalgic ramblings over!"

I haven't read 'Lonely Londoners' but I'll add it to the pile.

I've never been back to the Caribbean. One of the things I always found difficult to explain to people was being born British and then coming here and suddenly not being seen as British.

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

"I've never been back to the Caribbean. One of the things I always found difficult to explain to people was being born British and then coming here and suddenly not being seen as British."

OP, I might suggest that's because you're a different colour.

I'm third generation and have a weird-ass surname. My grandfather was an illegal immigrant, I sound English but, crucially, I'm white.

It's as pathetic as that, I fear.

"I've never been back to the Caribbean. One of the things I always found difficult to explain to people was being born British and then coming here and suddenly not being seen as British.

I'm third generation and have a weird-ass surname. My grandfather was an illegal immigrant, I sound English but, crucially, I'm white.

It's as pathetic as that, I fear. "

I'm often told how well I speak for someone of my colour.

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

I'll know it when I find it.

"I've never been back to the Caribbean. One of the things I always found difficult to explain to people was being born British and then coming here and suddenly not being seen as British.

I'm often told how well I speak for someone of my colour. "

I get that too. Quite a lot from those I speak to on the phone, subsequently meet only to see the shock on their face that I'm not a horsey looking white woman. Quite often there's the 'Oh, Meli? I wasn't quite expecting you to look the way you do.' or 'I thought you'd have a different accent'. I do enjoy going back to Barbados and Italy but I never really fit in. The surprise that I am fluent in Italian when I am there or that my accent is RP when in Barbados makes me a bit sad. The joys of a very mixed heritage.

I'm often told how well I speak for someone of my colour.

I get that too. Quite a lot from those I speak to on the phone, subsequently meet only to see the shock on their face that I'm not a horsey looking white woman. Quite often there's the 'Oh, Meli? I wasn't quite expecting you to look the way you do.' or 'I thought you'd have a different accent'. I do enjoy going back to Barbados and Italy but I never really fit in. The surprise that I am fluent in Italian when I am there or that my accent is RP when in Barbados makes me a bit sad. The joys of a very mixed heritage."

Your combination sounds wonderful. My paternal grandfather was Bajan.

By *anes HubbyCouple  over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

The whole series of programmes have been fantastic, I'm white but was born and bred in South London and feel privileged to have had so many friends from the Caribbean, growing up I was always welcomed into their homes and made to feel like I was one of the family.

Watching the Brixton series has brought back great memories.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

Maybe - I know that when my gran came over (not from the carribean), she was (very) white and her family were still discrimiated against.

By *ubble troubleCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

"

OK, nostalgic ramblings over!"

Hope you don't mind me taking it off-topic for a moment, but we recently went to the Manchester gig by "Afro-Celt Sound System" and the guitarist had a T-Shirt which read in big letters:

More Blacks

More Irish

More Dogs

Great T shirt and amazing gig.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

"

Hope you don't mind me taking it off-topic for a moment, but we recently went to the Manchester gig by "Afro-Celt Sound System" and the guitarist had a T-Shirt which read in big letters:

More Blacks

More Irish

More Dogs

Great T shirt and amazing gig."

I think I want one of those.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I really miss my home town more so than ever

London

I haven't read 'Lonely Londoners' but I'll add it to the pile.

I've never been back to the Caribbean. One of the things I always found difficult to explain to people was being born British and then coming here and suddenly not being seen as British.

"

The distance between the two countries and the question of the country being part of the commonwealth is definitely a factor. I have relatives I grew up with who have emigrated to the US. They don't have this issue. The Caribbean is only a couple of hours away. It's close enough to be a holiday destination by US citizens, so it's not seen as exotic.

The UK, on the other hand is thousands of miles away. True, it's part of the commonwealth, but how often in those times would anyone holiday there?

I have another relative who emigrated to Australia during the 70s but returned after 2 years. She hated it. The Aussie accent breaks out every five minutes or so, but she still sees herself as a Brit. She gets grilled on it but she just throws out the info and lets them deal with it.

I got TONS of questions when I went to school in the UK. Funnily enough there was a boy in my year who returned from Spain,but I was the returner whom they were more curious about.

In hindsight, I'm glad I had the experience of being a returner. It made me realise it's THEIR issue. It's not my issue. If they want to have a 'bulldog chewing a wasp' situation over it, then I let them get on with it.

London

London has changed. A lot.

I thought they were called Shebeens... that's what we always called them, along with the Irish.

"

You're probably right! I stand corrected on that one!

London

Hmmm.... I dunno.

My aunt who emigrated to Australia and came back 2 years later was white. Well, half white half Chinese and looked white. She had a pretty broad Aussie accent that breaks out even now. She is seen as not British by some. She throws out the info before anyone asks to explain her Britishness.

Newcastle and Gateshead

part 2 just started!!!!

oooh... already recognised the pineapple ice bucket and the plastic protectors for the carpet!!! lol....

The only bit I haven't recognised is the football stuff.

"part 2 just started!!!!

oooh... already recognised the pineapple ice bucket and the plastic protectors for the carpet!!! lol.... "

I remember visiting the homes of some of Asian kids at school. Their parents had plastic protectors on the sofas.

I used to travel to school with caribbean lad. He was always late getting ready, but his mum would rustle up fried plantain whole I waited. Happy days

"part 2 just started!!!!

oooh... already recognised the pineapple ice bucket and the plastic protectors for the carpet!!! lol....

I remember visiting the homes of some of Asian kids at school. Their parents had plastic protectors on the sofas.

I used to travel to school with caribbean lad. He was always late getting ready, but his mum would rustle up fried plantain whole I waited. Happy days "

My family was odd as we didn't do the plastic covers but the wider family and friends all did.

Friend plantain was my Dad's way of saying he loves me. He's leaving for good after the funeral so I'll have to fry my own now.

I loved that bit on recording every time you saw a black person on the television. I remember calling people to tell them to turn on the television.

Newcastle and Gateshead

soul 2 soul club nights... they were the bees!!!!

they were some seriously good night!!!

"Know your history"

Another winner in this series.

Newcastle and Gateshead

i've turned over to see the programme about black nurses in the nhs..... thats how my mum came over...

"i've turned over to see the programme about black nurses in the nhs..... thats how my mum came over..."

They put up with a lot... Good on your mother.

By *evaquitCouple  over a year ago

Catthorpe

"i've turned over to see the programme about black nurses in the nhs..... thats how my mum came over..."

Thanks for the heads up. My Grandmother too. Head midwife in her hospital in Jamaica and offered the same role in England. Hoping to get a bit out of the programme to help understand her journey.

Him

Ah it was fab ( pardon the pun). So pleased that topics like this get mentioned in the forums. There aren't always negative things going on here and some forum posts can sometimes be quite informative. Thanks OP

Kinky

» Add a new message to this topic