FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > VW Emissions...

VW Emissions...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

I got the letter to take my car in to be fixed and now the garage are hounding me. The letter tells me that the fix will have no effect to performance etc. so my first question to the car knowledgeable people is what was the point in cheating them in the first place?

My second question is when I googled info (that I don't really understand) it threw up a link to apply for compensation. If the fix has no effect then why do they need to compensate?

Idiot proof explanation required if anyone can help...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Put it on a dyno first before taking it. Then again after you get it back

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Ahem...... D.G. He doesn't mean a T.Rex.

"I got the letter to take my car in to be fixed and now the garage are hounding me. The letter tells me that the fix will have no effect to performance etc. so my first question to the car knowledgeable people is what was the point in cheating them in the first place?

My second question is when I googled info (that I don't really understand) it threw up a link to apply for compensation. If the fix has no effect then why do they need to compensate?

Idiot proof explanation required if anyone can help... "

VW put a piece of equipment in that allowed the emissions test to be cheated ( so said there were less emissions than there are ) I believe the fix is to replace this with the correct piece that should be there (without the cheat bit). According to them it won't affect how the car runs etc

The compensation is probably for inconvenience

"I got the letter to take my car in to be fixed and now the garage are hounding me. The letter tells me that the fix will have no effect to performance etc. so my first question to the car knowledgeable people is what was the point in cheating them in the first place?

Idiot proof explanation required if anyone can help... "

If they're doing it for free then do it..particularly with regards to resale value etc

Edinburgh

"Ahem...... D.G. He doesn't mean a T.Rex."

I have no idea what he means... it might as well be a dinosaur!

"The compensation is probably for inconvenience "

Or just being lied to and caught red-handed.

Idiot proof explanation required if anyone can help...

VW put a piece of equipment in that allowed the emissions test to be cheated ( so said there were less emissions than there are ) I believe the fix is to replace this with the correct piece that should be there (without the cheat bit). According to them it won't affect how the car runs etc

The compensation is probably for inconvenience "

Iirc what they cars did was use thier sensors to detect when they were on the test machine (wheels turning, right rpm range, yet nothing from gyros/acelerometers etc) and it ran in a much more efficient low power mode.

Fine for the test, looks amazing for emisions, wouldn't actually be able to move the car properly in the real world.

So anything that fixes the problem is going ro affect performance or its going to be fitting a full urea blue system or soemthing

I think the fix will just have the correct number read on the emissions. It wouldn't really affect the performance of the car because it's just fixing the information that is given out.

As for compensation, are you sure it was a UK site that offered that? I was under the impression that only US customers were being offered compensation from VW...

Edinburgh

Yeah it's a UK site for compensation... I'm inclined not to bother if there's no real difference to the car.

Is it one of those recall things where they do the work free of charge or are they expecting payment?

Edinburgh

"Is it one of those recall things where they do the work free of charge or are they expecting payment?"

It's free.

What happens if you don't do it I wonder?

"Is it one of those recall things where they do the work free of charge or are they expecting payment?

It's free.

What happens if you don't do it I wonder?"

It can affect you insurance I believe

I had a recall for something belt or something, booked in to the garage turned out to have 3 things over the years, all silly to me but they said all had to be complete once they we're aware.

Whether that because someone paying for them for it or if it was insurance related as they said I'm not totally sure.

If it's not costing anything I say get it done.

"Is it one of those recall things where they do the work free of charge or are they expecting payment?

It's free.

What happens if you don't do it I wonder?"

I suppose it could cause issues when selling the car.

I dont think it csn just make the car display the "true" emisions values as theyre outside the legal limits.

By *ittall2020Man  over a year ago

Norwich

This article & the comments to it is worth a read. If you do have it done I'd also suggest you do not sign anything without checking the small print really carefully. If you're in the AA/RAC you could ask them for opinion too.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/volkswagen-emissions-scandal/8-reports-of-volkswagen-tiguans-losing-power-after-ea189-emissions-fix/

» Add a new message to this topic