FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Should....

Should....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Cyclists be required to have road tax, mot and insurance?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Cyclists be required to have road tax, mot and insurance?"

No....... some of them are too young to even get pocket money...... what sort of country would make potential criminals out of a kid on pink tricycle ...... sheesh.....

I just witnessed a cyclist not use the cycle lane go through a red light and nearly cause a three way accident fs, no helmet on either.

By *ink Panther.Woman  over a year ago

Preston

Don't get me started, a menace to society

"I just witnessed a cyclist not use the cycle lane go through a red light and nearly cause a three way accident fs, no helmet on either. "

Yes but his inappropriate and reckless behaviour is not directly linked having no tax mot and insurance..... or was it..... maybe he'd just nicked the bike and was trying to make a swift getaway.....

"Don't get me started, a menace to society "

Let's it all out my dear

Preston

"I just witnessed a cyclist not use the cycle lane go through a red light and nearly cause a three way accident fs, no helmet on either. "

My point exactly I knocked a guy off his bike because he was filtering on the inside and it wasn't a cycle lane grrrrrrrr

Preston

"Don't get me started, a menace to society

Let's it all out my dear "

Thanks fs

"I just witnessed a cyclist not use the cycle lane go through a red light and nearly cause a three way accident fs, no helmet on either.

Yes but his inappropriate and reckless behaviour is not directly linked having no tax mot and insurance..... or was it..... maybe he'd just nicked the bike and was trying to make a swift getaway..... "

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Yes, don't see why not as they use the roads too!

"I just witnessed a cyclist not use the cycle lane go through a red light and nearly cause a three way accident fs, no helmet on either.

Yes but his inappropriate and reckless behaviour is not directly linked having no tax mot and insurance..... or was it..... maybe he'd just nicked the bike and was trying to make a swift getaway.....

"

These things need to be thought through.....

My point exactly I knocked a guy off his bike because he was filtering on the inside and it wasn't a cycle lane grrrrrrrr"

No doubt he didn't pay a penny and probably got compensation for something that was his fault

Preston

Yes but his inappropriate and reckless behaviour is not directly linked having no tax mot and insurance..... or was it..... maybe he'd just nicked the bike and was trying to make a swift getaway..... "

Good point not sure how to resolve that one

By *oyuer99Man  over a year ago

PRESTON

Preston is the knob cyclist capital of England, ignore red lights, join main roads irrespective of traffic.

Knobs.

I put it down to all their cpu needed to remember which leg to push down on, be fair upgrade your cpu.

I cannot say I have strong feelings.

That type of behaviour should be against the law fs

Preston

My point exactly I knocked a guy off his bike because he was filtering on the inside and it wasn't a cycle lane grrrrrrrr

No doubt he didn't pay a penny and probably got compensation for something that was his fault "

No he didn't get compensation, my 9 year old gave him a lecture on road safety and I gave him a few baby wipes for his grazes

"Cyclists be required to have road tax, mot and insurance?

No....... some of them are too young to even get pocket money...... what sort of country would make potential criminals out of a kid on pink tricycle ...... sheesh..... "

Be bit harsh when a little 5 year old with ribbons on handle bars and a little basket has to go out to work to pay for there road tax and insurance just so they can ride there bike round the estate.

Oh and a bike would never pay road tax because they are zero emissions

No, but it should be compulsory to wear a helmet and have appropriate lights and hi viz jackets, especially at night and in the winter.

And the cheek of it is, the wee fuckers all have these helmet cameras on these days trying to catch motorists out, dafuq.

No doubt he didn't pay a penny and probably got compensation for something that was his fault

No he didn't get compensation, my 9 year old gave him a lecture on road safety and I gave him a few baby wipes for his grazes "

As someone who loves off road cycling, I don't understand why people choose to cycle on Tarmac, it's boring and most cyclist don't know the rules of the road ether

But no, they shouldn't be made to have tax and all that.

Slightly different subject, I do believe horse riders should be made to pick up horse shit when there out and about

By *rwolfMan  over a year ago

bristol

personally yes they should,

insurance - the amount of times I have seen cyclists clip wing mirrors or bounce of cars doing damage is ridiculous, then they just shrug and keep going.

Vehicle tax - once over a certain age, again yes. they use the roads.

MOT - some sort of check yes, even if its just for the riders own safety.

however other laws should be made applicable to such as mobile phones whilst riding... stopping at the scene of an incident (cyclists plowing through red lights and knocking peds over)

Good point not sure how to resolve that one "

We cant punish the innocent with legislation designed to deter the action and inaction of individuals who wont obey the legislation......

I think we should remove the reckless car drivers off the road, who overtake cyclists to make a left turn few seconds later without signalling...or the wankers speeding in a 20mph zone...

See my point

bristol

"As someone who loves off road cycling, I don't understand why people choose to cycle on Tarmac, it's boring and most cyclist don't know the rules of the road ether

Slightly different subject, I do believe horse riders should be made to pick up horse shit when there out and about "

with those who use cycles off road then surely that would fall into the same catagory as off road motorcyclists? no tax needed?

"personally yes they should,

insurance - the amount of times I have seen cyclists clip wing mirrors or bounce of cars doing damage is ridiculous, then they just shrug and keep going.

Vehicle tax - once over a certain age, again yes. they use the roads.

MOT - some sort of check yes, even if its just for the riders own safety.

however other laws should be made applicable to such as mobile phones whilst riding... stopping at the scene of an incident (cyclists plowing through red lights and knocking peds over)

"

Good point about the insurance

Most road cyclists I know take out their own insurance through British Cycling anyway. Covers them for damage to their bike and liability insurance too.

'Many are car drivers too so already pay Road tax. When they're using their bike instead of their car aren't they causing less wear and tear plus pollution ? So shouldn't cycling over driving be encouraged ?

Preston

"I think we should remove the reckless car drivers off the road, who overtake cyclists to make a left turn few seconds later without signalling...or the wankers speeding in a 20mph zone...

See my point "

You've blinded me with science

"As someone who loves off road cycling, I don't understand why people choose to cycle on Tarmac, it's boring and most cyclist don't know the rules of the road ether

Slightly different subject, I do believe horse riders should be made to pick up horse shit when there out and about "

Aye if dog owners need to pick up after their pets then so should police officers fs

"I think we should remove the reckless car drivers off the road, who overtake cyclists to make a left turn few seconds later without signalling...or the wankers speeding in a 20mph zone...

See my point "

Agreed

Too many impatient drivers. Don't think German cars come with indicators!

" We cant punish the innocent with legislation designed to deter the action and inaction of individuals who wont obey the legislation......

"

An MOT is a certificate of roadworthiness on the day of the test.....

Any form of transport used on UK roads is already required to be in roadworthy condition all time its in use on the public highway

what about pedestrians then - they cause a lot of problems too -

If they do have an accident it's the motorist who has to pick up the costs regardless of fault.

"what about pedestrians then - they cause a lot of problems too - "

Aye i see your point, farting is a type of emission. However pedestrians are ment to use the pavements not the roads.

To the best of my knowledge I believe pedestrian have primacy in all situations where they are exposed to uncontrolled interaction with vehicles on the pubic highway...

What about me on my mobility scooter or wheelchair? Beep beep, move out the fucking way

"What about me on my mobility scooter or wheelchair? Beep beep, move out the fucking way "

I think mobilty scooters should be the way forward fs, you don't see those things breaking any speed limits or knocking folk doon. Car manufacturers should build family mobility scooters.

bristol

No matter how you look at things from a pushbike, motorcycle, car, lorry or whatever you always will get good drivers and total idiots.

I ride a motorbike and i like to think i ride within my limits as a rider and the law....doesnt stop me seeing others popping wheelies... Perfect world all the idiots would be taken off the roads...but its not a perfect world.

Why should the good be punished because of the bad? We shouldn't but It does happen.

However i believe it was last year Avon and somerset police did a sting on cyclists... Stopped those who did things like run red lights and give warnings...maybe its a sign of things to come?

bristol

"What about me on my mobility scooter or wheelchair? Beep beep, move out the fucking way

I think mobilty scooters should be the way forward fs, you don't see those things breaking any speed limits or knocking folk doon. Car manufacturers should build family mobility scooters. "

And then there is that inventor bloke who will turn a 10mph scooter into a 65mph scooter

"What about me on my mobility scooter or wheelchair? Beep beep, move out the fucking way

I think mobilty scooters should be the way forward fs, you don't see those things breaking any speed limits or knocking folk doon. Car manufacturers should build family mobility scooters. "

I run rude people down and hit them with my walking stick!

I think mobilty scooters should be the way forward fs, you don't see those things breaking any speed limits or knocking folk doon. Car manufacturers should build family mobility scooters.

And then there is that inventor bloke who will turn a 10mph scooter into a 65mph scooter "

Where is this bloke?

By *r Costa xxMan  over a year ago

stirling

I'm sure it's all the cyclists' fault, can't say I've ever seen a driver cut up a cyclist, of course that would never happen, doh!

The good old cycle proficiency test should be made compulsory for anybody wishing to cycle on public roads. But more importantly the politicians and police should enforce cyclists to adhere to the traffic laws and punish them in the same way as a motorists would be who lets say drives through a red light.

"The good old cycle proficiency test should be made compulsory for anybody wishing to cycle on public roads. But more importantly the politicians and police should enforce cyclists to adhere to the traffic laws and punish them in the same way as a motorists would be who lets say drives through a red light. "

+1

I know an elderly lady who was badly injured by one that ran into her.

Have you seen them going on the road? Now they are a hazard !

They should be forced to pay vehicle tax (it's not road tax), but as they're zero emissions they'd be exempt anyway.

I think all bikes should have number plates on registered to the owners so they can be tracked and reported for going through red lights and when the sod drive like idiots on pavements that dont have cycle lanes on!

Do not come up behind me ringing your bells as I wont move, its illegal to ride on the pavement over a certain age, ive seen cyclist go into people and saw the damage one did to a guys legs, 4 surgeries, knee replacement and metal pins all because the guy couldnt be arsed going on the road as the traffic was busy.

He didnt have any form of insurance too so the guy wasnt able to claim for all the time he was off work and not earning so yes I believe they should have a type of insurance too.

Propee lights, helmer and high viz clothing too for ones who ride at night.

Preston

Jaywalking should be an offence fs

By *r Costa xxMan  over a year ago

stirling

"what about pedestrians then - they cause a lot of problems too -

Jaywalking should be an offence fs "

Why not just have sharp shooters on the roofs and they could take out these villains?

Preston

Why not just have sharp shooters on the roofs and they could take out these villains? "

*Quckly checks to see if any party has covered this in their manifesto

Why not just have sharp shooters on the roofs and they could take out these villains? "

Previous poster may have been flippant, think she's a bit like that!, but the amount of times I've had to perform an emergency stop to stop from running down is increasing although I swear one day I won't!

I know an elderly lady who was badly injured by one that ran into her.

Have you seen them going on the road? Now they are a hazard ! "

My scooter isn't big enough for the roads other than crossing them.

"I think all bikes should have number plates on registered to the owners so they can be tracked and reported for going through red lights and when the sod drive like idiots on pavements that dont have cycle lanes on!

Do not come up behind me ringing your bells as I wont move, its illegal to ride on the pavement over a certain age, ive seen cyclist go into people and saw the damage one did to a guys legs, 4 surgeries, knee replacement and metal pins all because the guy couldnt be arsed going on the road as the traffic was busy.

He didnt have any form of insurance too so the guy wasnt able to claim for all the time he was off work and not earning so yes I believe they should have a type of insurance too.

Propee lights, helmer and high viz clothing too for ones who ride at night. "

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

No....... some of them are too young to even get pocket money...... what sort of country would make potential criminals out of a kid on pink tricycle ...... sheesh.....

Be bit harsh when a little 5 year old with ribbons on handle bars and a little basket has to go out to work to pay for there road tax and insurance just so they can ride there bike round the estate.

Oh and a bike would never pay road tax because they are zero emissions "

I would think a 5year old May be too young to be riding on a road.

I'd say no to any of the above so long as they are enforced to wear safety gear.

Slightly different subject, I do believe horse riders should be made to pick up horse shit when there out and about

with those who use cycles off road then surely that would fall into the same catagory as off road motorcyclists? no tax needed? "

Motorbikes give off emissions so i doubt they would go into the same catorgory. I could be wrong but doesn't tax go on the amount of emissions a vehicle gives off?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Yeah. And pedestrians and runners and horse riders. Let's make it so Fucking expensive to leave our houses and improve our health so we end up like the humans on wall-e riding around on floating arm chairs staring at screens and interacting with no one on a face to face basis.

Utopia!

evesham

Yes, don't see why not as they use the roads too!"

By *ngel n tedCouple  over a year ago

maidstone

Yeah. And pedestrians and runners and horse riders. Let's make it so Fucking expensive to leave our houses and improve our health so we end up like the humans on wall-e riding around on floating arm chairs staring at screens and interacting with no one on a face to face basis.

Utopia! "

Yaaaaayyyyy

Oh

you're being sarcastic aren't you..

Arguably yes to all but insurance most definitely.

Utopia! "

That's taking it bit too far fs

evesham

Utopia!

That's taking it bit too far fs "

And mechanical bull riders!

Utopia!

That's taking it bit too far fs

And mechanical bull riders! "

By *allieJWoman  over a year ago

East Lancashire

I just wish they would be more respectful of folk.

I walk on the canal tow PATH and most of the cyclists seem to think it is a time-trial TRACK!!.

I move myself and dogs out of the way and get no thanks from most of them, not even an acknowledgement. BUT if I keep on the path and make them go around then get abuse hurled at me!!

Lycra-clad losers!!

Rant over......... as you were.

By *ficouldMan  over a year ago

a quandary, could you change my mind?

See my point "

My bicycle doesn't know about speed limits and I've never been pulled over

There are reckless drivers and cyclists!

Bicycles that are ridden on public roads should need a number plate so they can be traced in instances of running red lights, speeding and causing accidents. Should also have insurance but that's for their own good as well to cover damage and injury. No number plate means limited to cycle lanes, off roading, parks etc.

Good point not sure how to resolve that one

We cant punish the innocent with legislation designed to deter the action and inaction of individuals who wont obey the legislation......

"

More or less what they do to motorists then

Think of it like this, what happeneds if a cyclist crashes into the back of your car? Where's the guarantee that they'll be able to cover the cost of damage?... Theyre a road user too....

"Think of it like this, what happeneds if a cyclist crashes into the back of your car? Where's the guarantee that they'll be able to cover the cost of damage?... Theyre a road user too...."

Well said

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

I think they should have insurance at least.

By *elnkazCouple  over a year ago

cheshire

No...but same rules should apply with mobile phones... some idiot swayed right in front of me while chatting on mobile quite oblivious that cars were behind him

My grandkids found it funny when I beeped my horn and the guy nearly jumped out his skin..kaz

"No...but same rules should apply with mobile phones... some idiot swayed right in front of me while chatting on mobile quite oblivious that cars were behind him

My grandkids found it funny when I beeped my horn and the guy nearly jumped out his skin..kaz"

Maybe everyone should be made to wear number plates

"I just wish they would be more respectful of folk.

I walk on the canal tow PATH and most of the cyclists seem to think it is a time-trial TRACK!!.

I move myself and dogs out of the way and get no thanks from most of them, not even an acknowledgement. BUT if I keep on the path and make them go around then get abuse hurled at me!!

Lycra-clad losers!!

Rant over......... as you were. "

So pisses me off when they do that! Just taken the dogs out for a walk and some guy came up behind me on the pavement dinging his bell! I just stopped dead, turned round and politely informed him that its against the law to cycle on the pavement and carries a hefty fine.

Why the hell should i have arseholes like that especially on a large quiet road he could have tons of room on but wanted me to squeeze over with two dogs

Lycra-clad losers!!

So pisses me off when they do that! Just taken the dogs out for a walk and some guy came up behind me on the pavement dinging his bell! I just stopped dead, turned round and politely informed him that its against the law to cycle on the pavement and carries a hefty fine.

Why the hell should i have arseholes like that especially on a large quiet road he could have tons of room on but wanted me to squeeze over with two dogs "

Hope you bent over and picked up after them fs

Lycra-clad losers!!

Why the hell should i have arseholes like that especially on a large quiet road he could have tons of room on but wanted me to squeeze over with two dogs

Hope you bent over and picked up after them fs "

If either had done anything i would have little sods wouldnt but they got the walk... the preceeded to run into the garden and go on the flags!!!

Lycra-clad losers!!

Hope you bent over and picked up after them fs

If either had done anything i would have little sods wouldnt but they got the walk... the preceeded to run into the garden and go on the flags!!! "

"I think they should have insurance at least."

Definitely agree

No I don't think so ..they aren't taking up much of the road

"No I don't think so ..they aren't taking up much of the road "

Its not about how much room they take, its how they conduct themselves whilst using the same road as motorist's.

Cycle lanes have been putinplace on footpaths to keep cyclists off the rds but still places with no cycle lanes but y then get those who think they can cycle where they like be it wrong way on the rd or on the pedestrian wY in town centres I don't think making them pay tax will sort problem it's education that's needed it should be compulsory that you take a cycling profictionsy(excuse spelling)test at 11 and 16 and if caught twice doing something wrong face a ban or fine

"No I don't think so ..they aren't taking up much of the road

Its not about how much room they take, its how they conduct themselves whilst using the same road as motorist's."

Yea well there not doing anything untoward apart from riding ...there are lots of them about ..unless they are riding naked then I'm out there watching

But what does good me more is when I'm on my bicycle or a moped adhering to the highway code the amount of arsehole drivers who either ride up my arse or when passing with plenty of room don't give way enough and then cut back in just of your front wheel so education for all is needed.i especially hate dickhead passengers that yell abuse at you for being on the rd

By *ystical_InkedBBWWoman  over a year ago

somewhere in the Shire of Derby

No. All road users should be aware of what manoeuvres other road users are legally allowed to do, and this should be taught when taking driving lessons.

» Add a new message to this topic