FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Eye Laser Surgery

Eye Laser Surgery

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi Folks

I have been very kindly offered eye laser surgery as a birthday present.

I am short sighted and had a consultation today. The optometrist suggested that i have my dominant eye done (which will help my distance sight) and leave my left eye as is cos this will be my reading eye

The procedure being recommended from today is Lasik Advanced CustomVue Wavefront, which is carried out by using the VISX type laser. The main competitor offering this procedure uses Nidek lasers.

Both companies claim that one is better than the other

Would anyone who has had laser eye surgery or know of someone who has had it done, please share their experiences/knowledge

thank you

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No but john s like you thinking of having his done . And feeling like you just not sure.

I went with ultra laze over three years ago now

Cant actually remember which laser or procedure but after wearing glasses fa 37 years it was ace

Good luck with it ya will enjoy xx

Ultralase did mine just over 4 years ago - their aftercare is brilliant. When they say its for life - its for life. You can ring up with any problems and they see you quickly and do full tests.

If you can get an early morning appointment do that. I stayed up the the night before they did the procedure (a bit like being abducted by aliens and eye probed)painless and fast. Smelled of burning hair when they cut the cornea. When I got home I was tired so slept for four hours after, had lunch then by 6pm was wide awake and watching tv (in sunglasses as its very light sensitive). I got dry eye and still suffer from it but had that when I wore contacts. So all in all go for it!!

I have a friend who has had it done. No problems other than at night you can get glare and halos from lights.

Also you can't be a pilot in the RAF as it thins your eye and so not good for hi-gee manoeuvres! (well this is what a RAF pilot told me some years ago, they may have different procedures nowerdays)

By *quamarina1964Woman  over a year ago

Bideford

Thanks to the op for posting this, this is something ive been toying with the idea of having done!

"I have a friend who has had it done. No problems other than at night you can get glare and halos from lights.

Also you can't be a pilot in the RAF as it thins your eye and so not good for hi-gee manoeuvres! (well this is what a RAF pilot told me some years ago, they may have different procedures nowerdays)"

the wavefront technology is an add on that i was told removes the nightglare/halos etc. cos i have large pupils it was recommended that i pay the extra for this procedure

ps my top gun days in the RAF are behind me

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Also they fail to teel you that it's not a permenat solution. So you'll have to repeat after about ten years or wear glasses again.

"Thanks to the op for posting this, this is something ive been toying with the idea of having done! "

To be honest i wouldnt have bothered as im quite happy wearing glasses and my daily disposable contacts when playing sports.........but as i got offered it as a birthday gift then im giving it some consideration

my son-in-law highly recommends it, he says it was the best decision of his life. He had PRK, not LASIK, and would HIGHLY recommend PRK if it is available. The monocular vision correct you have described is quite effective, and would be an excellent choice, especially for the older generation, who may experience visual accuity problems that require bifocals. Hope this helps.

"Hi Folks

I am short sighted and had a consultation today. The optometrist suggested that i have my dominant eye done (which will help my distance sight) and leave my left eye as is cos this will be my reading eye

The procedure being recommended from today is Lasik Advanced CustomVue Wavefront, which is carried out by using the VISX type laser. The main competitor offering this procedure uses Nidek lasers.

Would anyone who has had laser eye surgery or know of someone who has had it done, please share their experiences/knowledge

thank you

"

My sister and her husband have both had both eyes done via the treatmentyou specified and say it has improved thier eyesight no end. I can't wait to have mine done but that won't be till next year. If you've been given a £1,000 treatment as a present then luck you lol. Go for it.

went to see about getting mine done.cant have done as my sight so bad .

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

"Hi Folks

thank you

"

Id go to this website, it covers a lot of information you may need.

www.laser-eye-surgery-review.com

"Also they fail to teel you that it's not a permenat solution. So you'll have to repeat after about ten years or wear glasses again."

Its a permanent solution for short sightendness so will last longer the younger you have the procedure done, but if you develop astigmatism or long sightedness then yes you may well have to weear glasses but you could develop both of those conditions without the op. I have to wear reading glasses for close work sometimes but I expected to as I got older anyway.

"Also they fail to teel you that it's not a permenat solution. So you'll have to repeat after about ten years or wear glasses again.

Its a permanent solution for short sightendness so will last longer the younger you have the procedure done, but if you develop astigmatism or long sightedness then yes you may well have to weear glasses but you could develop both of those conditions without the op. I have to wear reading glasses for close work sometimes but I expected to as I got older anyway."

Thats pretty much what i was told.

As im almost 40 it is expected that by the time im 60 i would probably have required glasses for reading anyway. So i would have then required 2 pairs of glasses if i leave things as they are.

If i get the surgery now i can expect approx 15-20 years without requiring to wear glasses or contact lenses

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

Well I had my eyes done over 10 years ago and was the best thing I ever did.

I didn't have any problems and I'm sure the technology has greatly improved since then.

I had the lasik treament as my shortsightedness was only -3 in both eyes, so I would say go for it

"Well I had my eyes done over 10 years ago and was the best thing I ever did.

I didn't have any problems and I'm sure the technology has greatly improved since then.

I had the lasik treament as my shortsightedness was only -3 in both eyes, so I would say go for it "

thanks for that

my prescription is only -0.75 in each eye

I had the wavefront 2-3 years ago and it's the best thing I ever did. No halos at all. Prescription was -3.25/-3.75. Check with them if you'll benefit if only - 0.75 cos they're not 100% accurate so no guarantee to get you to 0.0...

had mine done at Optimax in Birmingham in 1995.

Best money I've ever spent on myself.

go for it

"I had the wavefront 2-3 years ago and it's the best thing I ever did. No halos at all. Prescription was -3.25/-3.75. Check with them if you'll benefit if only - 0.75 cos they're not 100% accurate so no guarantee to get you to 0.0..."

on my last full eye check up in June thats the figures it says on the prescription under sphere (-0.75) however on my contact lenses im -1.75 and -2.25

so perhaps the lower figure isnt the relevant one to be quoting here....lol

I think sphere is the level of astigmatism. The other 2 are your prescription. They should be able to fix both eyes, not sure why they suggest just the 1

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

The lower figure is the relevant one - Your contact lense prescription is always higher - My contact lense prescrition was -3.25/-3.5

"I think sphere is the level of astigmatism. The other 2 are your prescription. They should be able to fix both eyes, not sure why they suggest just the 1"

cos i would more than likely need reading glasses in 20 years even with surgery........so as i can read fine at present without glasses/contact lenses they suggested they fix my "dominant" eye so that in effect i have my dominant eye for distance and my other eye does the close up stuff

then in 20 years time when the eye without surgery gets weaker i can then entertain reading glasses.........my distance eye should still be ok they said

got 2 other consultations coming up so shall see what their recommendations are

By *heekyladyCouple  over a year ago

manchester

Had mine done at Optimax well over 10 years ago and its been brilliant. The only thing for me, and its nothing major, is I am a touch more light sensitive than previously. Hey presto fancy sunglasses lol.

My mum had it done about 6 years ago and a completely different way, they did both eyes together and could see pretty much within a few hours, and she's things its great too.

Its painless, quick and easy and not nearly as weird as you may think.

If you fancy doing it... go for it x

"I think sphere is the level of astigmatism. The other 2 are your prescription. They should be able to fix both eyes, not sure why they suggest just the 1

cos i would more than likely need reading glasses in 20 years even with surgery........so as i can read fine at present without glasses/contact lenses they suggested they fix my "dominant" eye so that in effect i have my dominant eye for distance and my other eye does the close up stuff

then in 20 years time when the eye without surgery gets weaker i can then entertain reading glasses.........my distance eye should still be ok they said

got 2 other consultations coming up so shall see what their recommendations are "

Well I was going to do that in preparation for needing reading glasses when I had mine corrected but what my optician did first was prescribe me with a weaker lens to give the same effect because sometimes if your 'reading eye' is undercorrected it can make you feel off kilter, dizzy etc. I didn't like the sensation and found myself squinting so just had both eyes corrected and as I say got reading glasses when I needed them.

» Add a new message to this topic