FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Interviews

Interviews

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *isscheekychops OP   Woman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

So some of you are aware I was made redundant and have had interviews afterwards but nerves have always always got the better of me and I've missed out on jobs that I can do with my eyes closed but haven't been able to sell myself...any useful tips from fellow fabsters would be great as I have two job interviews next week which I have to nail.

I've been out of the interview game for about 8 years so it's all a bit daunting

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Practice, practice, practice. If you have any friends who can fire questions at you, that helps.

Research the jobs you are going for, makes you look keen.

Good luck

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Really look at their websites and follow up on any projects mentioned that relate to the role.

Don't think about it as an interview but you selling a client to them. You know you'd bend over backwards for the client and highlight the relevant facts - just do that for yourself. Don't underplay your achievements.

Good luck.

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

Definitely research about the company. They normally ask questions about the company/ their competitors.

I cannot believe I've only realised today this is you!

I'm such a dick.

"So some of you are aware I was made redundant and have had interviews afterwards but nerves have always always got the better of me and I've missed out on jobs that I can do with my eyes closed but haven't been able to sell myself...any useful tips from fellow fabsters would be great as I have two job interviews next week which I have to nail.

I've been out of the interview game for about 8 years so it's all a bit daunting "

Are you asking about tips for the interview, or just dealing with the nerves? Just to clarify.

Get some questions that you can ask them. It makes you feel a bit more in control and it shows you're interested in their company.

Good luck!

"Really look at their websites and follow up on any projects mentioned that relate to the role.

Don't think about it as an interview but you selling a client to them. You know you'd bend over backwards for the client and highlight the relevant facts - just do that for yourself. Don't underplay your achievements.

Good luck.

"

Thanks

Do you homework in the business, go in with the attitude that you are interviewing them to see if the role is right for you, ask lots of questions and draw them in to selling the role to you, if they do this you have a good chance

Good luck

"Definitely research about the company. They normally ask questions about the company/ their competitors.

I cannot believe I've only realised today this is you!

I'm such a dick. "

Haha you are

I had this suggested to me and found it really useful and worked well

When they ask if you have any questions first ask if there is anything you have already told them that they would like you to clarify/give more info on etc

I found it a useful 'break' or transition from one phase of the interview to the next

Good luck Miss Cheeky

"Practice, practice, practice. If you have any friends who can fire questions at you, that helps.

Research the jobs you are going for, makes you look keen.

Good luck "

Thank you so much

"So some of you are aware I was made redundant and have had interviews afterwards but nerves have always always got the better of me and I've missed out on jobs that I can do with my eyes closed but haven't been able to sell myself...any useful tips from fellow fabsters would be great as I have two job interviews next week which I have to nail.

I've been out of the interview game for about 8 years so it's all a bit daunting

Are you asking about tips for the interview, or just dealing with the nerves? Just to clarify. "

Both really but nerves would be great as I just never can get it right lol

"Do you homework in the business, go in with the attitude that you are interviewing them to see if the role is right for you, ask lots of questions and draw them in to selling the role to you, if they do this you have a good chance

Good luck "

i agree. This technique helps with the nerves too

By *easingTimMan  over a year ago

Loughlinstown

I've been out of the interview game for about 8 years so it's all a bit daunting "

You could...

Practice the interview process with a friend who has your best interests at heart

Exercise on the day of the interview as that produces the happy hormones and reduces stress

Forget about trying to be confident on the day. Just bbe formal and chatty

Go see an NLP Practitioner if you have any underlying confidence issues. They can help you with that

Best of luck lovely lady

They usually ask if you have any questions for them, make sure you have a couple, but don't ask about salary

Where does the company aim to be in 5 years?

Is there room for growth and promotion in the company?

Etc etc

You could...

Practice the interview process with a friend who has your best interests at heart

Exercise on the day of the interview as that produces the happy hormones and reduces stress

Go see an NLP Practitioner if you have any underlying confidence issues. They can help you with that

Best of luck lovely lady "

Can Exercise include a shag?

Find out where there shares stand "so what do you know about the company" "You're shares are worth 129p, you see blah blah blah, you do blah blah blah" "Fook me this girl is good even I don't know our share prices...."

Without going into too much detail in what I do it's basically for the same place I was seconded to before my main employer hit us with redunacy so pretty much aware of what they do etc...you lot have been a great help thank you

"Find out where there shares stand "so what do you know about the company" "You're shares are worth 129p, you see blah blah blah, you do blah blah blah" "Fook me this girl is good even I don't know our share prices....""

I'm not sure this particular place is a share type of place

By *easingTimMan  over a year ago

Loughlinstown

You could...

Best of luck lovely lady

Can Exercise include a shag? "

Addressing somebody or a general question?

"Find out where there shares stand "so what do you know about the company" "You're shares are worth 129p, you see blah blah blah, you do blah blah blah" "Fook me this girl is good even I don't know our share prices...."

I'm not sure this particular place is a share type of place "

Fair point. I always like a candidate who knows that bit more than what you'd think they should know.

Are you asking about tips for the interview, or just dealing with the nerves? Just to clarify.

Both really but nerves would be great as I just never can get it right lol "

I think with the interview preparation there's so much advice on this thread already that's good I won't add to it, plus there's loads more out there online. Also it's hard to anything that isn't generic without knowing your profession/industry.

As for nerves - yes I know all about that. I've had more interviews in the past few years than most people have had in their lifetime.

This is just my opinion, just as disclaimer, lol:

Practice makes perfect. The more interviews you do, the less impact your nerves will have. As somebody else said, see if a friend will do mock interviews with you over and over.

Get to the interview early so you're chilled out. Plan your route etc.

Control your thoughts, breathe, smile. Talk at a moderate pace. Don't be afraid to ask for a bit of time to think about a question before answering.

Try some breathing techniques or mindfulness to help you calm down, you can find them online.

One psychological hack I heard about is pretending that the interviewers are just old friends you're catching up with.

The most extreme help I eventually had to get was being prescribed propranolol by my GP, a beta blocker that helps with anxiety.

You might be reading too much into it. Your kind of telling yourself your going to fail before anything has even happened. I've winged every interview I've went to and got every job. They say employers know if they like someone within the first 5 seconds going by how smiley and confident they look. I would come off the forums and chat to friends and have a laugh and try not to dwell on your failures before they have even happened x

Maybe have a shag during the interview! That'll ease the nerves and will guarantee you the job!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Practice relaxation more so than interview technique, with the objective of taking that state of mind into the interview with you. Do it little and often until next week, so it gets quicker and more automatic each time, to get your mind and body into this relaxed state.

Don't allow your mind to be troubled by anything either. Write notes, if there's an important point to download.

Do some exercise if you can, including walks or being around nature. These are good for you.

In spare moments, rekindle your achievements and strengths.

You deserve the best . Wishing you well

"You might be reading too much into it. Your kind of telling yourself your going to fail before anything has even happened. I've winged every interview I've went to and got every job. They say employers know if they like someone within the first 5 seconds going by how smiley and confident they look. I would come off the forums and chat to friends and have a laugh and try not to dwell on your failures before they have even happened x"

That's also quite true. I started doing better in interviews when I started 'hanging loose'. It's always worth getting feedback if possible.

"You might be reading too much into it. Your kind of telling yourself your going to fail before anything has even happened. I've winged every interview I've went to and got every job. They say employers know if they like someone within the first 5 seconds going by how smiley and confident they look. I would come off the forums and chat to friends and have a laugh and try not to dwell on your failures before they have even happened x

That's also quite true. I started doing better in

interviews when I started 'hanging loose'. It's always worth getting feedback if possible. "

Another good point, once all the formalities are out of the way, at boarding we like a relaxed but confident character, introduce yourself "hi, my name is..... isn't the weather lovely today"

You could...

Best of luck lovely lady

Can Exercise include a shag?

Addressing somebody or a general question? "

God I've been out of the shagging game for a while

I usually assume that the person interviewing is often not very good at it. They may be more nervous than me.

"You might be reading too much into it. Your kind of telling yourself your going to fail before anything has even happened. I've winged every interview I've went to and got every job. They say employers know if they like someone within the first 5 seconds going by how smiley and confident they look. I would come off the forums and chat to friends and have a laugh and try not to dwell on your failures before they have even happened x"

Thank you I hardly come on here any more so won't be spending my time on the forums but that you for the advice it's been helpful I guess we all deal with interviews differently but glad you got every job you went for...

[Removed by poster at 27/06/17 23:48:43]

If they ask you for your strengths?.........don't say weightlifting,and weakness?'......not lifting heavy enough weights! Didn't work for me,haven't had interview for years,had one last week,didn't respond with the above this time,got job,but don't want it,Haven't any sooper tips or strategy's,be yourself,n good luck!

"You might be reading too much into it. Your kind of telling yourself your going to fail before anything has even happened. I've winged every interview I've went to and got every job. They say employers know if they like someone within the first 5 seconds going by how smiley and confident they look. I would come off the forums and chat to friends and have a laugh and try not to dwell on your failures before they have even happened x

Thank you I hardly come on here any more so won't be spending my time on the forums but that you for the advice it's been helpful I guess we all deal with interviews differently but glad you got every job you went for..."

Just text your friends and have a laugh before you go in. You'll never be more confident. Good luck for your interview x

Thank you I hardly come on here any more so won't be spending my time on the forums but that you for the advice it's been helpful I guess we all deal with interviews differently but glad you got every job you went for...

Just text your friends and have a laugh before you go in. You'll never be more confident. Good luck for your interview x"

Thank you

"I usually assume that the person interviewing is often not very good at it. They may be more nervous than me. "

Yep, especially when they're reading aloud the interview questions like a 12 year old reading aloud Shakespeare for the first time.

By *-elleWoman  over a year ago

Romford

I've interviewed a fair few in my time so do accept a water when/if offered, if your unsure of an answer pause take a sip, give yourself time to compose a reply. Also helps those with dry mouth fear. The interviewer will understand and expect some nerves. Relax into it from the start a good interviewer should help you, if not chat to them as they/you walk in,break the ice so to speak. The journey, something you've notice about the environment you see around you. Shows your engaged and observant.

Many companies do psychrometric testing now so it would be worth trying a few of these on line before hand.

By far the biggest selling feature should be your confident, they have brought you in for interview because you fit the bill so your half way there already- relaxed confident and composed and yes knowledge/onsite or understanding about the company is always a plus point.

Look back at the recent ones you failed and ask yourself how you would do the differently. Where there questions you were unprepared for have you thought through and could you answer those again if asked.

Good luck

Good luck with it, OP. Just be you. If it's right, it'll happen.

"I've interviewed a fair few in my time so do accept a water when/if offered, if your unsure of an answer pause take a sip, give yourself time to compose a reply. Also helps those with dry mouth fear. The interviewer will understand and expect some nerves. Relax into it from the start a good interviewer should help you, if not chat to them as they/you walk in,break the ice so to speak. The journey, something you've notice about the environment you see around you. Shows your engaged and observant.

Many companies do psychrometric testing now so it would be worth trying a few of these on line before hand.

By far the biggest selling feature should be your confident, they have brought you in for interview because you fit the bill so your half way there already- relaxed confident and composed and yes knowledge/onsite or understanding about the company is always a plus point.

Look back at the recent ones you failed and ask yourself how you would do the differently. Where there questions you were unprepared for have you thought through and could you answer those again if asked.

Good luck "

Great advice, thank you

How did your interview go? X

I get really nervous when I'm speaking in front of people. I take one beta blocker and my shaking is gone. Beyond that it's just practice. But I do notice a marked difference in my nerves when I take the beta blocker.

"How did your interview go? X"

Haven't had them yet both are next week but thank you for asking...how sweet is that x

Interviewers are fickle and human. People can ace interviews but research shows simple attractiveness often wins out, as it does in life generally. It's referred to as the "what is beautiful is good effect" and it's assumed that people who are physically attractive will be superior in other traits.

I once had two afternoons of interviews. I was the only candidate for the second afternoon. I lost out on one question. They gave me four negative attributes and asked me to choose which applied most to me. I chose stubbornness, which I never was in work situations, being more go the extra mile, but I knew I could turn it around as a positive, selling it as a never say die attitude. I explained all this when we went through the answers. They still didn't hire me based on that one question.

So I suppose the best thing you can do is look as good as possible and go in without any expectations. Don't be nervous, because you're actually smarter than them.

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Just go and get that job woman it's yours!

"Just go and get that job woman it's yours! "

I will try

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"Just go and get that job woman it's yours!

I will try "

No you won't try! . You will get! Yes?!

I'm sure it's all been said, but coming from the perspective of someone who's interviewed, those who appear most genuine and sincere, as opposed to blatantly embellishing their experiences always make an impression.

Never be derogatory about previous employer's and portray a positive attitude. After all who would want to inherit a negative attitude.

Good luck, I'm sure it's nerve wracking but remember other candidates feel the same.

By *hubaysiWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"Maybe have a shag during the interview! That'll ease the nerves and will guarantee you the job! "

Oh yeah am sure she'll get the job and a ruddy big pay rise too!!!!!

What a strange thing to say even if it does put OP at ease.

A firm handshake and always look the interviewer in the eyes....most decisions are made within the first 30secs of meeting you....and if there's any tests i'e maths etc etc...brush up before hand with they types of questions there will liable to be for the role.

I hope that helps and best of luck x

By *lmostthereMan  over a year ago

Southampton

Prep and knowledge.

I don't know what level of job you are applying for but if there is an option to meet or talk to someone before hand you can glean loads of information as well as make an informal connection.

I am interviewing this afternoon for a fairly senior position and both candidates have been to see me as well as the other panel members in preparation for their interview.

You can anticipate most of the questions. Get the job description. Write down, and have off by heart examples of how you meet the spec. E.g change management: in my last role I successfully changed the way in which we managed the payroll for contractors. Be prepared to explain the outcome, benefits and challenges. E.g. We moved from paper to electronic timesheets. This not only reduced the administrative burden but also significantly reduced processing costs and sped up payment to contractors. Whilst initially sceptical the ability to submit their timesheets online via their phone or tablet and the speed of payment quickly won them over.

Where possible use examples that are relevant, or transferrable to the job or organisation you are applying to.

Have a question or two at the end. Pay and holiday entitlement are a bit 'meh'. Ask them something that makes them think.

Hope this helps

By *eanut Butter CupWoman  over a year ago

B & M Bargains

I have no advice for you cos I'm crap at interviews but just want to say good luck Cheeky! Just be your normal bubbly self

» Add a new message to this topic