FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > I have a medical question too

I have a medical question too

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I want to know what the MRI equipment is they use for a neck MRI. I had one for my lower back, where my head was just inside a slightly higher part of the machine. I can handle that again. What I'm worried about is my head being totally covered and my face near the machine. I've searched online but haven't been able to find anything, except reading to tell my doctor if I'm claustrophobic, which I am.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't know, but I had to go in one of the CT scan things after a car accident end of last year and was terrified but the staff were superb at calming me.

Wishing you well with it all x

Will depend on what machine they have really.

You can get some open types but I doubt you'd find them at an nhs hospital

By *ulldog_71Man  over a year ago

Sedgefield

I had similar issues when I had a full spine MRI, I was in the full on smartie tube type and found it helped slightly tilting my head back so I could see out of the back, not sure if you would be able to for a neck if you speak to the radiographer they will be able to give the best advice. I would ring the radiography department and talk it through with them. hope it all goes well

"Will depend on what machine they have really.

You can get some open types but I doubt you'd find them at an nhs hospital"

It will probably be an old machine. I just looked on YouTube and I think it's the same machine for neck and body. I'm just hoping I don't have to go further inside it than last time. I might ask for sedation..

"I had similar issues when I had a full spine MRI, I was in the full on smartie tube type and found it helped slightly tilting my head back so I could see out of the back, not sure if you would be able to for a neck if you speak to the radiographer they will be able to give the best advice. I would ring the radiography department and talk it through with them. hope it all goes well "

Thanks. I'm waiting for my appointment date and to see if my gold tooth will be a problem. I'm kind of hoping it will.

"I don't know, but I had to go in one of the CT scan things after a car accident end of last year and was terrified but the staff were superb at calming me.

Wishing you well with it all x"

Was the CT machine a long tunnel?

"I don't know, but I had to go in one of the CT scan things after a car accident end of last year and was terrified but the staff were superb at calming me.

Was the CT machine a long tunnel? "

Yes, it was.

Yes, it was. "

But they are shallower than MRI. I didn't like it, but they were great with me.

I had one recently on my shoulder and to be honest it was a nightmare .I had my head in holding blocks so couldn't move.I had earphones because the machine made loud bangs ha ha .The guy before me had a full on panic attack.......sorry !!

Yes, it was.

But they are shallower than MRI. I didn't like it, but they were great with me. "

The MRI machine was only approximately 6 inches above my face, and closer from the neck down. I must have read the little safety sticker a hundred times.

"I had one recently on my shoulder and to be honest it was a nightmare .I had my head in holding blocks so couldn't move.I had earphones because the machine made loud bangs ha ha .The guy before me had a full on panic attack.......sorry !!"

That'll be me then. I managed to quell the one I almost had when my lower body was scanned. If my head has to go in further - with it being held still- I don't think I could do it.

Yes, it was.

The MRI machine was only approximately 6 inches above my face, and closer from the neck down. I must have read the little safety sticker a hundred times. "

To be honest, I was straight from a car crash so I didn't have the planning/build up to it - I'm not sure which is better though And CT scans don't last as long.

Yes, it was. "

I was hoping it wasn't, in case they can't do the MRI.

Yes, it was.

The MRI machine was only approximately 6 inches above my face, and closer from the neck down. I must have read the little safety sticker a hundred times.

To be honest, I was straight from a car crash so I didn't have the planning/build up to it - I'm not sure which is better though And CT scans don't last as long. "

I think I'm going to have to go with sedation.

I had an MRI to find out the extent of how broken my intestines are when I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. Drinking the glow in the dark fluid was much worse than actually having the scan

Fully into the machine, it's nosiy and a bit cramped. But just wear the earplugs, close your eyes and chill out.

Sedgefield

Yes, it was.

The MRI machine was only approximately 6 inches above my face, and closer from the neck down. I must have read the little safety sticker a hundred times. "

it took a couple of attempts to get me in as soon as they tried the first time I could feel the panic coming and asked to be take back out but they were great with me give me the time I needed to get my head together and prepared

Yes, it was.

To be honest, I was straight from a car crash so I didn't have the planning/build up to it - I'm not sure which is better though And CT scans don't last as long.

I think I'm going to have to go with sedation. "

Nods. If that will help. Yes.

I get fidgety when I'm not supposed to move. I was strapped and in headblocks for the CT but all I could think of was an incident as a kid when I got a speck of sand embedded in my eyeball and I was taken to hospital where they stuck a needle in my eye (well into the sandgrain) to pluck it out and I just recall the needle coming closer and closer. I was too young to think of the consequences but my father said it was the most horrific thing he has seen as he was panicking that I would move. So as I recall the visual and *now* understand what could have happened, it replays in situations where I have to not move. It makes me squirm and panic.

Sorry, that's not helpful to share. But, yes - get sedation.

Yes, it was.

it took a couple of attempts to get me in as soon as they tried the first time I could feel the panic coming and asked to be take back out but they were great with me give me the time I needed to get my head together and prepared "

I think the technician had already left the room before the table went into the machine. I did have a buzzer in my hand I could use if I needed anything, but it would be useless if I had a full blown panic attack.

Yes, it was.

I think I'm going to have to go with sedation.

Nods. If that will help. Yes.

I get fidgety when I'm not supposed to move. I was strapped and in headblocks for the CT but all I could think of was an incident as a kid when I got a speck of sand embedded in my eyeball and I was taken to hospital where they stuck a needle in my eye (well into the sandgrain) to pluck it out and I just recall the needle coming closer and closer. I was too young to think of the consequences but my father said it was the most horrific thing he has seen as he was panicking that I would move. So as I recall the visual and *now* understand what could have happened, it replays in situations where I have to not move. It makes me squirm and panic.

Sorry, that's not helpful to share. But, yes - get sedation. "

I always want to move when I'm not supposed to..

Sedgefield

Yes, it was.

it took a couple of attempts to get me in as soon as they tried the first time I could feel the panic coming and asked to be take back out but they were great with me give me the time I needed to get my head together and prepared

I think the technician had already left the room before the table went into the machine. I did have a buzzer in my hand I could use if I needed anything, but it would be useless if I had a full blown panic attack. "

If you speak to them first they will probably stay in the room till you're in and happy

"I had an MRI to find out the extent of how broken my intestines are when I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. Drinking the glow in the dark fluid was much worse than actually having the scan

Fully into the machine, it's nosiy and a bit cramped. But just wear the earplugs, close your eyes and chill out."

It won't let me reply privately as u have blocked blokes...if you chrohns...check out the Max version diet book of 1930s, get online and also drink ozone water and do ozone anal infusions... don't listen to what you been told. You can fix it for good. Get some bee pollen multi floral into once u start ozone. Google be useless for this stuff. All the best. Hope u willing put time in and cure yourself. Your a couple so your partner help with the daily coffee enemas etc I've said enough. Best wishes

"Will depend on what machine they have really.

You can get some open types but I doubt you'd find them at an nhs hospital"

There's an NHS hospital near me that has an open type.

"I want to know what the MRI equipment is they use for a neck MRI. I had one for my lower back, where my head was just inside a slightly higher part of the machine. I can handle that again. What I'm worried about is my head being totally covered and my face near the machine. I've searched online but haven't been able to find anything, except reading to tell my doctor if I'm claustrophobic, which I am. "

You would be best to phone the dept in advance of your appointment and talk to them about your fears.

By *ighland gentlemanMan  over a year ago

Tain

"

You would be best to phone the dept in advance of your appointment and talk to them about your fears. "

definitely the best advice for any medical or dental procedure, always prewarn them of any anxieties or fears. They are always things that can be done before hand and during a procedure to help.

But if you leave it to half way through, it's too late.

Medical staff are used to dealing with anxious patients, for whatever reason.

I've had one for my back and neck and it was the same machine for both, lying down tunnel type one. You can ask for a stand up one as well I believe if that helps.

Doll x

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Hope it goes ok for you,think I would need sedation if it's available

Get well soon

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

Ask GP to prescribe diazepam. My daughter had it for the dentist. Worked a treat. Good luck.

"I want to know what the MRI equipment is they use for a neck MRI. I had one for my lower back, where my head was just inside a slightly higher part of the machine. I can handle that again. What I'm worried about is my head being totally covered and my face near the machine. I've searched online but haven't been able to find anything, except reading to tell my doctor if I'm claustrophobic, which I am. "

I had a head scan not so long ago where my head was inside the machine, and my nose was about 2 inches from the top of it..I had earplugs in to keep out the noise .. it was not a pleasant experience and I remember saying when I came out that I'm glad I'm not claustrophobic

By *ild_oatsMan  over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

I had a MRI scan 18 months ago after being run over..

It was the lie down type.

I was given a eye mask like you get on aeroplanes to wear.

Apart from it being noisy it was quite a relaxing experience. So much so I was nearly fully asleep by the time the scan was complete..

In my experience these things are never as bad as we imagine them to be..

By *r45678Man  over a year ago

Southport

You will be fine it doesn't hurt just relax close your eyes and breath , and think of nice things relaxing , it's just a noise tunnel that's all keep your eyes closed think your on a noise mouving board that's all good luck x

There are open MRI machines in NHS hospitals.

They understand a lot of people are claustrophobic, did they send you an information leaflet? I'm sure you could ring the hospital to ask, and while you're on the phone, ask if it would be ok to have a one off Valium from your doctor for the event? My mum does that for flying.

I doubt for a neck scan that your head will be enclosed but they may put a support under your neck. Brain scan they put your whole head in a cage, I've had a few of those.

The machine will be noisy, I just concentrate on the beat and wiggle my toes in time with it. You will be given a button to press if you need assistance.

Best of luck.

CT scan is over in seconds and the machine is like a big donut. In and out.

MRI takes much longer, depending on the area needing scanning, very noisy, mostly a tube style but some are open at the one side, but still not much room in them.

By *lmostthereMan  over a year ago

Southampton

"CT scan is over in seconds and the machine is like a big donut. In and out.

MRI takes much longer, depending on the area needing scanning, very noisy, mostly a tube style but some are open at the one side, but still not much room in them."

This. They will give you ear plugs or headphones with the radio station of your (their) choice. You will have a call buzzer at hand.

By *ohnaronMan  over a year ago

london

Tell them about your anxieties. They are very used to this and very understanding. They may give you a mild sedative. You can always stop the scan if you feel overwhelmed. I actually found the whirrs, thumps, and clanks the machine made a welcome distraction.

Best wishes for the results.

I quite enjoy having the contrast injected, it warms up my lady bits it makes me giggle! it's kinda erotic.

» Add a new message to this topic