ParkRunners. 2

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *orkDefender OP   Man  over a year ago

Just East of Wakefield

First thread got too big

Carry on....

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

After months of procrastination I registered this week, will do my first Parkrun this coming Saturday

Still gutted that little stoke park run got closed by greedy local council. Have to go further to get to one. Go less regularly now.

Just East of Wakefield

Tried Rothwell on Saturday, interesting, at 2 & 1/2 laps

"After months of procrastination I registered this week, will do my first Parkrun this coming Saturday "

Yay!!!

Welcome to the Club!!!!

By *uckOfTheBayMan  over a year ago

Flintshire

This weekend parkrun are teaming up with around 100 Olympic and Paralympic athletes to show that nobody finishes last at parkrun.

They'll be tail walking each course

At our local we've got Jade Jones, who may be kicking some butt, to keep you going

Not been in ages but I start a running plan a week Monday so will have to get a few runs under my belt to dust off the cobwebs

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

I bailed this morning as am too achey from killer circuits on Thursday! Did run 8 miles over the week though so don't feel too bad about it lol

Missing it today too, as just a little tired from last night lol

By *istressZoeTV/TS  over a year ago

cheshire

Hats off to anyone doing my local park run x the weather today is dreadful x

I did a few 4 milers during the week so will give this one a miss x

Still taking it easy after a 35 mile race last weekend.

Happy parkrunning though everyone.

Flintshire

Took my young'un (9) out with me today, so proud of his effort and finished in 35 minutes

Flintshire

Another great run with my lad today, took his time down to 33 minutes, officially barcoded this time

evesham

Did Worcester Woods today. Not a great time but I did it!

First time Parkrunner today with my eldest as a tourist down in Weymouth, better than my target time and I just about managed not to vomit over the finish line

Just East of Wakefield

One of the local events this AM

Second fastest time of year there (14 events)

Went with mate for a hilly bike ride before the run. Holy moly that was gruelling on the legs

Just East of Wakefield

No. ParkRun this morning

Already up, for work!

Today will be my second Parkrun and I get to run my home course for the first time not expecting a good time today as I feel a bit meh....

Just East of Wakefield

Raced last night

Very warm & humid!

Flintshire

Got to wake Sprog2 up and get him moving this morning

The tough 10 are good 10k trail runs through amazing countryside and take place throughout the country. Some of the hills are tough but lots of people walk up them so don't let that put you off if you fancy something a little more rugged.....

Much like myself ladies.....

See what I did there

evesham

no parkrun for me today after a late night last night and very poorly feet!

am running tomorrow though

Just East of Wakefield

A rather wet ParkRun this morning

Nothing fancy, regarding times, mid range '24'

"no parkrun for me today after a late night last night and very poorly feet!

am running tomorrow though"

Oh dear!!

And, hope you get out, girl!

Flintshire

Very soggy out there today

Two drowned rats staggered over the finish line!

Very proud of sprog2 for sticking at it though

evesham

"A rather wet ParkRun this morning

Nothing fancy, regarding times, mid range '24'

no parkrun for me today after a late night last night and very poorly feet!

am running tomorrow though

Oh dear!!

And, hope you get out, girl! "

i think i have plantar faciitis

evesham

"Very soggy out there today

Very proud of sprog2 for sticking at it though "

well done both x

Just East of Wakefield

"Very soggy out there today

Very proud of sprog2 for sticking at it though "

Well done to 'sprog 2'

First one for oher a month today but second best tone of the year amd finished well inside the first third of tve field which is always a personAl aim. Not bad after a big week of marathon training

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"Still gutted that little stoke park run got closed by greedy local council. Have to go further to get to one. Go less regularly now."

Might not have been them that chose to close it! A space open to the public would need any organised events to be risk assessed and extra insurance taken out where necessary. If the insurance company wouldn`t insure it or H&S decreed a "high risk" (whatever that may be) then the Council may have had no other choice! A football match, for example, is conducted in a specific area of a park/recreation ground. Some leagues insist on barriers to separate the audience from the pitch, so as such the event is happening in a "controlled area" so the risk assessment would be low.

Now whilst a park run is controlled there would be a higher risk of the member of the public coming into contact with a run participant, be due to carelessness, miss-judgement or other unforeseen problems such as a dog being upset at all those people running past or a child running out of control.

A park or recreation ground should be an area where people can let children run around more freely and in relative safety.

Sad to say, with the years of experience I`ve had of working in the open areas of schools, recs and parks, the things I`ve seen would make your toes curl!

"Still gutted that little stoke park run got closed by greedy local council. Have to go further to get to one. Go less regularly now.

Might not have been them that chose to close it! A space open to the public would need any organised events to be risk assessed and extra insurance taken out where necessary. If the insurance company wouldn`t insure it or H&S decreed a "high risk" (whatever that may be) then the Council may have had no other choice! A football match, for example, is conducted in a specific area of a park/recreation ground. Some leagues insist on barriers to separate the audience from the pitch, so as such the event is happening in a "controlled area" so the risk assessment would be low.

Now whilst a park run is controlled there would be a higher risk of the member of the public coming into contact with a run participant, be due to carelessness, miss-judgement or other unforeseen problems such as a dog being upset at all those people running past or a child running out of control.

A park or recreation ground should be an area where people can let children run around more freely and in relative safety.

Sad to say, with the years of experience I`ve had of working in the open areas of schools, recs and parks, the things I`ve seen would make your toes curl! "

No the council closed it when they saw what is an international free event as a potential cash cow. Greed. Nothibg more. Nothibg less

Flintshire

I accept all of the h&s considerations, but park runs have to meet high standards to actually get over the start line

There are a lot of marshals, all wearing high vis, signs, markers and route ways.

They're all very friendly and all park participants are keen to see this take part, and very little friction.

If it wasn't like this, the park runners themselves would quickly complain and sort things out.

It's all down to the community effort that makes them such a success

evesham

"Still gutted that little stoke park run got closed by greedy local council. Have to go further to get to one. Go less regularly now.

Sad to say, with the years of experience I`ve had of working in the open areas of schools, recs and parks, the things I`ve seen would make your toes curl! "

sorry _umpkin but it was nothing to do with health and safety and risk assessments. as an international organisation anyone setting up a parkrun event has to comply with their set up procedures which are very thorough.

It was purely a money reason. They wanted £1 per runner per week for 'maintenance' of the park but the reality is that the money raised would far outweigh the maintenance of the park area plus the fact that none of the other park users who would contribute to the degradation of the park were going to be charged to use it.

parkrun offered to help the parish council apply for funding grants but it is their policy not to apply for them on behalf of councils as it would be for too much work for the organisation with the number of councils they work very successfully with. The council rejected their offer of help and so sadly the parkrun had to close

Sad to say, with the years of experience I`ve had of working in the open areas of schools, recs and parks, the things I`ve seen would make your toes curl!

sorry _umpkin but it was nothing to do with health and safety and risk assessments. as an international organisation anyone setting up a parkrun event has to comply with their set up procedures which are very thorough.

It was purely a money reason. They wanted £1 per runner per week for 'maintenance' of the park but the reality is that the money raised would far outweigh the maintenance of the park area plus the fact that none of the other park users who would contribute to the degradation of the park were going to be charged to use it.

parkrun offered to help the parish council apply for funding grants but it is their policy not to apply for them on behalf of councils as it would be for too much work for the organisation with the number of councils they work very successfully with. The council rejected their offer of help and so sadly the parkrun had to close"

Perhaps they simply didn`t want you there then? Some cranky resident who is pals with a local councillor took umbridge with all of these people ruining their quiet little life? Perhaps they saw it as a way of raising funds for other facilities locally - village hall needing refurbishment?

Flintshire

What is your problem with people getting out in the fresh air and keeping fit, Mr NIMBY?

Just East of Wakefield

One of the local events has an 'out' lap, & a 'back' lap around an unfenced boating/fishing lake (man-made, but too big to be a pond?)

It's up to about event #360, & l've never heard of anyone (runner/fisherman/other park user) falling in/being pushed in

Given that this one, is a very popular spot for walkers, the only complaint that l've personally heard was pre-race, from one OAP about the time of day that it took place, & why couldn't it be later when she'd walked her Dog

It took a lot of persuasion from the Race Director (& others, including showing her the ParkRun pages on a laptop) that the time was nationwide, not just set up with the sole intention of inconveniencing her

Just East of Wakefield

"One of the local events has an 'out' lap, & a 'back' lap around an unfenced boating/fishing lake (man-made, but too big to be a pond?)

It's up to about event #360, & l've never heard of anyone (runner/fisherman/other park user) falling in/being pushed in

Given that this one, is a very popular spot for walkers"

Sorry, wanted to edit.

It's a course l only run every so often, mainly when l want to see friends (includin a couple who are on here)

The course has the 'lake lap', a full lap on a partially concrete/gravel/tarmac track, then the 'back lake-lap'

Also, apparantly a popular site, so l understand with 'Doggers'

After just over a year the guy that walks his dog and deliberately obstructs runners at our local event has got bored of failing to get any reaction beyond a cheery greeting appears to have realised that there are another 167 hours a week where parkrunners aren't present.

Most of the other dog walkers offer encouragement and exchange greetings with the runners but sone people are just dicks

"What is your problem with people getting out in the fresh air and keeping fit, Mr NIMBY? "

If you are referring to me, I have no problem with people wanting to exercise.

However, councils have caught on to the park run phenominum(sp?) and I for one don`t blame them at all for trying to cash in in these days when their available budget is being squeezed by higher authorities!

evesham

parkrun offered to help the parish council apply for funding grants but it is their policy not to apply for them on behalf of councils as it would be for too much work for the organisation with the number of councils they work very successfully with. The council rejected their offer of help and so sadly the parkrun had to close

Perhaps they simply didn`t want you there then? Some cranky resident who is pals with a local councillor took umbridge with all of these people ruining their quiet little life? Perhaps they saw it as a way of raising funds for other facilities locally - village hall needing refurbishment?"

If they have that much of a problem with people bring in their park and spending money in local businesses I'd suggest they are in the wrong job.

As for some disgruntled parish resident... It's for an hour one day a week.... They need to get a life. They will probably be the same people moaning about unfit people bring a drain on the NHS.

Why should runners pay for village hall refurbishment? That's like me asking you to pay for my mot this month!

"What is your problem with people getting out in the fresh air and keeping fit, Mr NIMBY?

If you are referring to me, I have no problem with people wanting to exercise.

However, councils have caught on to the park run phenominum(sp?) and I for one don`t blame them at all for trying to cash in in these days when their available budget is being squeezed by higher authorities!"

But other councils are not cashing in. Other than normal parking fees no other council charges or has even tried to. In fact I think it's been discussed in parliament thst it should remain free.

It's a not for profit organisation getting people exercising and all events are organised by volunteers, funnily enough every other local authority se5 the community values that far outweigh the limited potential income

Flintshire

My local park visitor centre and cafe is doing better than ever

And people are starting to use the park on a more regular basis as a training area and socialising etc.

It also brings in people from outside the area too, who might never have thought to come here.

The other "local" to me is at a National Trust location, and they've seen a busy in visitor numbers too

So it's a win-win

"

Why should runners pay for village hall refurbishment? That's like me asking you to pay for my mot this month! "

Why shouldn`t they? What if those refurbishments meant that ALL users, not just users of the hall, would have access to toilet facilities for example. Like it of not, councils have budgets and anything they can do to make their facilities better beyond their budgets has to be considered! It`s how every business works and the councils are just as much a business as anyone else.

evesham

"

Why should runners pay for village hall refurbishment? That's like me asking you to pay for my mot this month!

Why shouldn`t they? What if those refurbishments meant that ALL users, not just users of the hall, would have access to toilet facilities for example. Like it of not, councils have budgets and anything they can do to make their facilities better beyond their budgets has to be considered! It`s how every business works and the councils are just as much a business as anyone else.

"

In that case they should charge all users and not just those who do parkrun. That was not what they were proposing

By *rKitMan  over a year ago

Prenton

Saw the Little Stoke debacle in the papers. Really Got my goat that did.

Back to my Birkenhead parkruns soon. Just not this weekend cos I'm down in that there London.

Flintshire

How's it looking in your neck of the woods?

Lots of rain last night, so the going will be soft this morning

Flintshire

Nice run today, and a better time than last week, which wasn't difficult because the weather was so much better

By *he normal oneMan  over a year ago

Hereford

I lost my parkrun virginity this morning, and it was not pretty, I've not done that sort of distance in one block for months but onward and upward.

Flintshire

"I lost my parkrun virginity this morning, and it was not pretty, I've not done that sort of distance in one block for months but onward and upward."

You'll soon be wearing your 50 shirt

Out of interest do most people's parkrun ask people running with biggies to start at the back?

Flintshire

Not at my local...

I presume you mean beginners

We have a pre race talk for those new to our run, but who knows how quick they might be

Flintshire

"Not at my local...

We have a pre race talk for those new to our run, but who knows how quick they might be "

Same with those running with littlies

My son runs around in about 33 minutes, which is quicker than many grown ups, and there are some 11 year old running at 25 minutes or less

"Out of interest do most people's parkrun ask people running with biggies to start at the back?"

Biggies? Did you mean buggies?

Not heard that before, certainly not at my local run, you turn up and take your place where you are comfortable but have heard some runs are quite strict.

"Not at my local...

We have a pre race talk for those new to our run, but who knows how quick they might be "

No i meant buggies! dam autocarrot!

My local run always asks people with buggies or dogs to start at the back for safety reasons. Did a spot of tourism today, course has a bottleneck after a couple of hundred metres and there are 2 blokes with buggies in the crush causing chaos with wheels inches from people's ankles.

Flintshire

"Not at my local...

We have a pre race talk for those new to our run, but who knows how quick they might be

No i meant buggies! dam autocarrot!

My local run always asks people with buggies or dogs to start at the back for safety reasons. Did a spot of tourism today, course has a bottleneck after a couple of hundred metres and there are 2 blokes with buggies in the crush causing chaos with wheels inches from people's ankles. "

Oh, got you now

Our run is not really suitable for buggies, more trail than path, so it's not really an issue.

I get where you're coming from though.

Dogs can be as much as a problem I places, as they tend to wander

I'd have thought that the buggy pushers should be a bit more considerate of other runners, especially in narrow sections

evesham

Did anyone else have the coop at their parkrun this weekend giving out goody boxes?

Jealous. Torn groin so no park run for a long while. Not stopped me from Volunteering and cheering on though.

Flintshire

"Did anyone else have the coop at their parkrun this weekend giving out goody boxes? "

Nope... What was that all about?

Have they become PR sponsors?

evesham

"Did anyone else have the coop at their parkrun this weekend giving out goody boxes?

Have they become PR sponsors? "

Yeah, maybe they are doing a tour round.... Watch out for them

Flintshire

"Did anyone else have the coop at their parkrun this weekend giving out goody boxes?

Yeah, maybe they are doing a tour round.... Watch out for them "

They're not a sponsor,but a "supporter"

"Our supporters differ slightly from our sponsors in that they are involved in growing the number of parkrun events or are partnering to improve our existing offering."

evesham

Yeah, maybe they are doing a tour round.... Watch out for them

They're not a sponsor,but a "supporter"

"Our supporters differ slightly from our sponsors in that they are involved in growing the number of parkrun events or are partnering to improve our existing offering."

"

Whatever they are I got a box of spaghetti, pesto, garlic, chick peas and paprika lol

Prenton

Birkenhead this morning for the first time in a while this is gonna be tough going.

Just East of Wakefield

No go this morning

Knee sore, after banging it at work yesterday, on a open filing cabinet drawer

Flintshire

"Birkenhead this morning for the first time in a while this is gonna be tough going. "

Just been speaking with someone about B'head and they were saying it's a great course for a pb

Running with sprog2 again, and looks as though he's set a new pb by 40s

Prenton

"Birkenhead this morning for the first time in a while this is gonna be tough going.

Just been speaking with someone about B'head and they were saying it's a great course for a pb

Running with sprog2 again, and looks as though he's set a new pb by 40s "

Good skills sprog2 dunno about a pb at birkenhead but seeing as it's my only run it's my pb. (Not today though, today was slow)

Flintshire

"Birkenhead this morning for the first time in a while this is gonna be tough going.

Running with sprog2 again, and looks as though he's set a new pb by 40s

Good skills sprog2 dunno about a pb at birkenhead but seeing as it's my only run it's my pb. (Not today though, today was slow) "

You should pop over to NWales and do Wepre

After several years, I started this week to run and I feeling better but my sprint speed is poor. Do any one do 1mile running?

Flintshire

"After several years, I started this week to run and I feeling better but my sprint speed is poor. Do any one do 1mile running?"

Build yourself up slowly

Overdo it now and you'll injure yourself

Check out a local running club or social group, or try using an app like couch25k

"After several years, I started this week to run and I feeling better but my sprint speed is poor. Do any one do 1mile running?

Build yourself up slowly

Check out a local running club or social group, or try using an app like couch25k "

Thanks mate.

I prefer to do sprint running than long distance, I see more benefit for me in sprint running than long distance. I just want my heart to be in good condition.

evesham

No parkrun for me this weekend as I'm away but did go for a 5k run. Slow but the best run since London really! Hopefully hot my mojo back!

Flintshire

"After several years, I started this week to run and I feeling better but my sprint speed is poor. Do any one do 1mile running?

Build yourself up slowly

Check out a local running club or social group, or try using an app like couch25k

Thanks mate.

I prefer to do sprint running than long distance, I see more benefit for me in sprint running than long distance. I just want my heart to be in good condition."

You have to do conditioning as well as sprinting

That's why I suggested a running or athletics club

My sprogs go to their local club, indeed my daughter is a champion sprint hurdler.

That's the best place to go for sprinting training

Build yourself up slowly

Thanks mate.

I prefer to do sprint running than long distance, I see more benefit for me in sprint running than long distance. I just want my heart to be in good condition.

My sprogs go to their local club, indeed my daughter is a champion sprint hurdler.

That's the best place to go for sprinting training "

Wow, that's great. What level she is competing? When I was young I participate on all most all the event except pole vault and hammer through.. I enjoyed them, career took them away from me for the last 12 years.

Need to look for some club as u say..

Flintshire

Build yourself up slowly

Thanks mate.

That's the best place to go for sprinting training

Wow, that's great. What level she is competing? When I was young I participate on all most all the event except pole vault and hammer through.. I enjoyed them, career took them away from me for the last 12 years.

Need to look for some club as u say.."

National level

Just East of Wakefield

No ParkRun this morning

Working

Who is running?

Had about 2 hours sleep but I'm wide awake so will be doing my 5th parkrun today

evesham

No parkrun again this weekend.... Getting withdrawal symptoms!

Flintshire

Looks like I'm forming a posse

Sprog2's best friend is joining us again

I think they only do it because they want to beat their head teacher

evesham

"Looks like I'm forming a posse

Sprog2's best friend is joining us again

I think they only do it because they want to beat their head teacher "

I love seeing all the children doing parkrun!

My eldest usually joins me, he loves them, my youngest on the other hand is a lazy little get bless him, he'd rather stay tucked up in bed rather than come out for a run in the rain.... hold on maybe he's got it right hand I've got it wrong

evesham

"My eldest usually joins me, he loves them, my youngest on the other hand is a lazy little get bless him, he'd rather stay tucked up in bed rather than come out for a run in the rain.... hold on maybe he's got it right hand I've got it wrong "

Haha I may have already asked this but what parkrun do you do?

Prenton

Slowly wandered around Birkenhead parkrun yesterday. Still slower than I used to be but getting back up there.

For the second week in a row I managed to scrape another PB, happy with my progress so far

By *rimson_RoseWoman  over a year ago

Lea Marston

I go most weeks. If I'm marathon training, sometimes use it to break up my long run - run there, run the course, then carry on to the rest of the mileage.

"I go most weeks. If I'm marathon training, sometimes use it to break up my long run - run there, run the course, then carry on to the rest of the mileage. "

That's very impressive, I'm nowhere near that level, but I've got a plan for the next few years which could see me doing that to make a good 19 mile run

By *rimson_RoseWoman  over a year ago

Lea Marston

"I go most weeks. If I'm marathon training, sometimes use it to break up my long run - run there, run the course, then carry on to the rest of the mileage.

That's very impressive, I'm nowhere near that level, but I've got a plan for the next few years which could see me doing that to make a good 19 mile run "

If I can drag my ass round, anyone can!

"I go most weeks. If I'm marathon training, sometimes use it to break up my long run - run there, run the course, then carry on to the rest of the mileage.

That's very impressive, I'm nowhere near that level, but I've got a plan for the next few years which could see me doing that to make a good 19 mile run

If I can drag my ass round, anyone can!"

And what a fine ass you have to... Sorry I just couldn't help myself

Just East of Wakefield

Raced yesterday

Just not my day, one of the last out of the quarry, at the start

Several trips/falls up on the peat-bog area

Missed my PB by a few minutes

Done a few now around the north west on my little park run tour, Croxteth Park has been my favourite so far! Any recommendations where to try

Flintshire

"Done a few now around the north west on my little park run tour, Croxteth Park has been my favourite so far! Any recommendations where to try "

Wepre Park

Just in Queensferry, Flintshire...

Hardest PR in Wales, 2nd in the UK

Just East of Wakefield

Hobbled round last Saturday

Quite a humid/warm morning

Not a good ParkRun for me

Now, which local one to choose for Saturday?

Just East of Wakefield

Rather breezy at it this morning

Hereford

Very cold, wet and windy this morning

Very windy yesterday and my local course is petty open! A steady 27.30 but was more interested in showing off my Birmingham marathon top from last week rather than chasing a time

Hereford

"Very windy yesterday and my local course is petty open! A steady 27.30 but was more interested in showing off my Birmingham marathon top from last week rather than chasing a time"

My local course is a lap inside the racecourse with no cover at all.

First ever run clocked in at 50 minutes but now I'm in the mid 20's range and feeling good even in the mud and rain

evesham

i am looking forward to being able to run again....god knows when that will be though!

Just East of Wakefield

"

My local course is a lap inside the racecourse with no cover at all."

So is one of mine

Pontefract

Once round the lake, lap of the Course (on camera car track), & another lap of the lake

Circa 21:30 PB there

Flintshire

Time to get to the start line

Hereford

I’m having to sit this one out

Flintshire

I ran without sprog2 for a change and pleased I was still able to knock out a sub24

I haven’t ran one since moving to Plymouth I’m an 18 min man .

evesham

Was on finish tokens today.... Stressful job!

"Was on finish tokens today.... Stressful job! "

I noticed and what a great job you did too, you didn't look at all stressed

evesham

"Was on finish tokens today.... Stressful job!

I noticed and what a great job you did too, you didn't look at all stressed "

Oh dammit! I missed you!

"Was on finish tokens today.... Stressful job!

I noticed and what a great job you did too, you didn't look at all stressed

Oh dammit! I missed you! "

I'll be there next weekend too, couldn't say hello, I couldn't even breath.... lol

I used to go with my lad. Sub 22 mins as a 10 yr old !! As a 16 yr old he seems to have slowed down a lot

Hereford

Another wet and miserable one why is it like that when I can do it

Probably will do parkrun tourism tomorrow as our local one is so busy. Forest of Dean or Evesham for me I expect now.

Flintshire

Should be a cold and frosty run in the morning, hopefully the ground will be a bit firmer than of late

I've had enough of clearing the mud from my lugs

I'm a keen parkrun runner, love it. Always try and pop to a local run where ever I'm staying (I travel a lot) wondering if I'll find the day a runner is also as filthy minded as me but likes running........ Miracles can happen lol Poole is the bestest course I've done I think, great run. Say hi if your a runner

Flintshire

By 'eck it was cold out there!

Snow on the ground at home

Marshaled today as was supposed to have ran a marathon on Thursday so a good week to do some volunteering. Was lovely wrapped up in the sun, certainly more fun than running!

Does pis me off how many runners don't thank the volunteers particularly on a cold morning like today

Flintshire

"Marshaled today as was supposed to have ran a marathon on Thursday so a good week to do some volunteering. Was lovely wrapped up in the sun, certainly more fun than running!

Does pis me off how many runners don't thank the volunteers particularly on a cold morning like today"

That's because you're dahn sarf

You'll always be appreciated oop north

just signed up. never done a run in my life. hopefully I'll get into it

Flintshire

"just signed up. never done a run in my life. hopefully I'll get into it "

You don't even need to run to do a park run

There are "tail walkers" who make sure no one gets lost and pick up the stragglers

A lot of people start with just run-walking (run a bit, walk a bit) and you're under no pressure to do anything more than you're comfortable with

You'll soon be addicted

Flintshire

Just about to head out

Brrrr!

Hereford

I have to give it a break for a bit due to back issues and missing not being there.

evesham

"I have to give it a break for a bit due to back issues and missing not being there."

You should volunteer.... That's what I've been doing

Hereford

"I have to give it a break for a bit due to back issues and missing not being there.

You should volunteer.... That's what I've been doing "

I did look this morning but they’re sorted this week but going forward I will though.

Flintshire

Not a great time, but then again not too bad considering the conditions, might as well have been running cross country

A solid 26.00 today. About 30-45 seconds slower than normal but after gym and 5 miles yesterday and a late night getting sweaty at a gig I'm quite chuffed with that!

"I have to give it a break for a bit due to back issues and missing not being there.

You should volunteer.... That's what I've been doing

I did look this morning but they’re sorted this week but going forward I will though."

Volunteering is great fun.

evesham

Bumping this for hide the sausage

"Bumping this for hide the sausage "

Thanks x

evesham

First parkrun in ages finished today. Took it steady and bad my niece with me who is rather reluctant lol

Felt good to be back x

Flintshire

All of the runs around here were cancelled today, due to the weather

evesham

"All of the runs around here were cancelled today, due to the weather "

Luckily our core team put together an alternative course solely in the woods to avoid the slippy tarmac areas. Was lovely.

Nothing for me today as I have a bad chest, slightly annoying as I'm having eye surgery this week so won't be runbind for at least a week or 2.

More cheerily my girlfriend clocked her fastest time of the year today. But forgot her barcode!!

By *acavityMan  over a year ago

Redditch

Was planning to tour, but it was cancelled, so just did my home run.

Bit icy, but a relaxed run, with about a third of the usual turnout, so a nice day.

Nothing for me today sadly my home run got cancelled too late for me to find an alternate venue.

Hereford

"First parkrun in ages finished today. Took it steady and bad my niece with me who is rather reluctant lol

Felt good to be back x "

Well done you

Flintshire

"All of the runs around here were cancelled today, due to the weather

Luckily our core team put together an alternative course solely in the woods to avoid the slippy tarmac areas. Was lovely. "

Tarmac?

We're lucky to have gravel. Lol

It's more trail than path

And where it's muddy, it's very muddy right now

Just East of Wakefield

A damned cold run home from work on Monday night

Should have worn tights, not shorts!!!!

Flintshire

Lovely sunny PR today, all jingley and jolly with lots of fancy dress

Tan today 9 days after eye surgery, 7 minutes slower than noreal as was very much taking it easy. Great to be vack!

Sadly due to being violently ill over the past 24hrs I wasnt able to do today's Parkrun

Might be able to do the Christmas day Parkrun though

One day I will win at park run lol

Given up the Park run after an appalling experience. Ran many events and this maybe was a one off. For all the good friendly organisers and runners have a lovely festive run and set new goals for the 2018. Maybe a marathon.....

Flintshire

"Given up the Park run after an appalling experience. Ran many events and this maybe was a one off. For all the good friendly organisers and runners have a lovely festive run and set new goals for the 2018. Maybe a marathon..... "

Do you always give up after a single "bad" experience?

it must have been a real "biggy" for you to just quit

And that's only at one event, there are so many others out there that you can always go to

Parkrun has become part of my regular training and I always enjoy the social side of it

Anyone doing the Xmas day run?

evesham

"Anyone doing the Xmas day run? "

I normally do but haven't been running much recently. Might still go over and Marshall though.

Yep, should be up and running, earn a couple of extra guilt free mince pies

Christmas day parkrun done. And a first visit to what has been my local course for 11 months since moving house earlier this year! Loved it! So many people dressed up amd having fun. Last 3 years I've been recovering from Portsmouth marathon which has fell a few days beforehand so don't normally get there

Just East of Wakefield

Worked 25th, so didn't do that

Not sure if l'll get to this Saturdays either (time issues, not getting to any of my local 4)

Anyone know how to combat shin splints?

evesham

"Anyone know how to combat shin splints?"

Stretches off a step

Rest (difficult know)

Foam roller (difficult again!)

Proper/new shoes.

Did Saturday and Xmas day and both were poor runs on my part. Need to snap out and stop feeling sorry for myself

Flintshire

"Anyone know how to combat shin splints?"
generally caused by a poor gait (running action) compounded by inappropriate footwear

Get a proper gait analysis done at a"decent" runners shop

Flintshire

A great way to start the new year

Very muddy out on the park trails, but the course had never been so busy!

A lot had managed to double up with the Chester PR earlier and then come along to Wepre

Happy New year all.

Park run comp this Morning. Leg is still killing after purchasing new footwear after a gait analysis. Managed to make it round the course but after 2k was in agony and nearly called it quits.

Happy new year all

Cant believe we've got a running section on here..must make sure i dont muddle it up with healthunlocked!!!

Ive signed up to my first 10k race in birmingham in may...its my target after completing c25k..say hi if your doing it to!

Double parkrun for me this morning. Ran them with my girlfriend and 2 of her clubmates. Very muddy and very social but feeling it now!

By *icky-discoMan  over a year ago

oxford

So is it worth buying some trail running trainers for these or normal runners?

Flintshire

"So is it worth buying some trail running trainers for these or normal runners?"

Most park runs are on Tarmac paths. But some,like my local are really a trail run, and has plenty of hills, and winter mud

Check out what your local is like, but you're best off buying good road running shoes, rather than trails

oxford

"So is it worth buying some trail running trainers for these or normal runners?

Most park runs are on Tarmac paths. But some,like my local are really a trail run, and has plenty of hills, and winter mud

Check out what your local is like, but you're best off buying good road running shoes, rather than trails "

cheers mate local ones are a bit of everything tarmac gravel and mud any suggestions on what trainers to get?

evesham

"Happy new year all

Cant believe we've got a running section on here..must make sure i dont muddle it up with healthunlocked!!!

Ive signed up to my first 10k race in birmingham in may...its my target after completing c25k..say hi if your doing it to!

"

Which one are you doing?

why run when you have a car!!

"why run when you have a car!!"

That question doesn't really make any sense...

"So is it worth buying some trail running trainers for these or normal runners?"

Probably not worth trail shoes unless your course is consistently very muddy and as a general rule parkruns aren't as the council's aren't keen on the damage. One of my local courses is entirely off road, the other is 50/50, I ran both courses today and even with the ground as waterlogged as it is presently I was fine in road shoes for probably 90% of the run and the bits I was struggling with sp were people in trail shoes

"why run when you have a car!!

That question doesn't really make any sense..."

I may have used the wring emoji there!!

oxford

Probably not worth trail shoes unless your course is consistently very muddy and as a general rule parkruns aren't as the council's aren't keen on the damage. One of my local courses is entirely off road, the other is 50/50, I ran both courses today and even with the ground as waterlogged as it is presently I was fine in road shoes for probably 90% of the run and the bits I was struggling with sp were people in trail shoes"

Cheers

[Removed by poster at 01/01/18 17:16:21]

"Happy new year all

Which one are you doing? "

Birmingham 6th May..10k simply health it will be my first one as its my post c25k target

Flintshire

Check out what your local is like, but you're best off buying good road running shoes, rather than trails cheers mate local ones are a bit of everything tarmac gravel and mud any suggestions on what trainers to get?"

You're probably going to be doing more "road" running rather than trail, unless you live in a very hilly area

Your best bet is to go down to a running shop (not sports direct) and get them to fit you out

Each brand of shoes tends to fit a "type" of foot. I prefer Brooks as I have a broad forefoot and narrow heel, and these suit me best.

Try on lots, jog on a treadmill, and even get a gait analysis.

Hereford

Doh this mornings run cancelled as track covered in puddles then frozen overnight

Flintshire

Wish ours had frozen, fed up with doing a "tough mudder" at this time of year

Flintshire

Should really have gone out today, but I'm blaming the dog

He looked so warm and snuggly in his nest that I didn't have the heart to take him out

Gave it a miss today as going to get cold and wet in a 10 miler tomorrow. Off to but some cheap trail shoes purely for my local parkrun as it's gettong ridiculously muddy!

I wonder if we have any northants Park Runners here, I’m s local run director

Any southwick park runners on here?

» Add a new message to this topic