FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Kids

Kids

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ub_from_kent OP   Man  over a year ago

maidstone

Hi peeps I was after a little advise I've been out on a few dates with someone but she's saying that I spend too much time seeing my boys in the evenings i try to see them as much as possible but she's making me feel bad for doing it obviously I will always choose my boys first but was just wondering if her behavior is normal

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *yldstyleWoman  over a year ago

A world of my own

I think that if you like her you need to have a frank conversation with her along the lines of you have children, they are your priority and she has to accept that.

It doesn't bode well though for the future should you get serious if shes already competing with them.

Personally I'd walk away if I was you

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's typical and no uncommon. I know someone who gave her boyfriend an ultimatum, her or his daughter. I found that ironic as her daughter's own father didn't want anything to do with his child, which she constantly run him down for.

Her boyfriend chose her. I would not want any man who would abandon a child for a relationship.

By *cot611Man  over a year ago

carterton

"Hi peeps I was after a little advise I've been out on a few dates with someone but she's saying that I spend too much time seeing my boys in the evenings i try to see them as much as possible but she's making me feel bad for doing it obviously I will always choose my boys first but was just wondering if her behavior is normal "

not good id say, will probably get worse rather than better and cause many problems. sorry love kids come first, either fit in or f*** off in my opinion.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Her behaviour is normal for her, do you want it to become normal for you?

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

I think she's being completely selfish to be honest - am presuming you're separated from their Mum and that's why you, rightly, want to see as much of them as you can? If so your new girlfriend should accept they are part of the package that is a relationship with you, and that you naturally want to be as big a part of their life as you can.

That said, if it means she never sees you, then I can understand to an extent if she's finding it frustrating, so perhaps agree with her on one day a week when you'll not see them and devote some time to her (assuming you're not doing that, or similar, already)

She needs to be told assertively that your children come first. If she can't accept that, then I'd consider breaking ties.

Good for you making your boys a priority

If she can't accept that then clearly she lacks compassion and understanding that you have responsibility of children ....

More men should take your lead and be a parent ...

Good luck hun xx

By *eryBigGirlWoman  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

Run for the hills. If she’s being like this after a couple of dates then get out while you can. I’d never ever want to come between a guy and his kids and don’t understand any woman who would. Sorry get rid and keep that relationship with your kids as that’s far more important!

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Although I generally agree with the above posts, a happy life is about balance. Obviously only you know what you are doing with your time and if you are spending too much or too little time in one area. Kids are important, but so are relationships. You need to make sure you are striking the right balance.

Again, we are just outsiders, maybe this woman is trying to help you find the right balance, maybe she is trying to tip the balance too far the other way. Only you know.

maidstone

Thanks for the replies I have already told her that they will always come first she has got children so I don't see why see is being the way she is

Forum Mod

East Sussex

We can't condemn the woman on the scant information we have here though.

Maybe the op consistently cancels dates to be with his kids. He might turn up late a lot because he's with them or leaves earlier than planned. It could just be a case of poor communication.

Kids come first,it's as simple as that.If this lass thinks she should be above them in your list of priorities then it's time to get rid

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Thanks for the replies I have already told her that they will always come first she has got children so I don't see why see is being the way she is"

Have you asked her?

maidstone

They stay with me every other weekend and I only pop to c them a couple of hours during the week rest of my time is either working or being with her

By *arciocialWoman  over a year ago

Leicester

"Thanks for the replies I have already told her that they will always come first she has got children so I don't see why see is being the way she is"

What is she doing in the evenings, where are her kids, does she not spend time with them in the evening? What is she expecting you to do?

I wouldn't tell someone twice if they didn't understand the first time.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"They stay with me every other weekend and I only pop to c them a couple of hours during the week rest of my time is either working or being with her"

Well, as I said above it seems to be normal for her for whatever reason. The choice you have now is whether it becomes normal for you.

By *arciocialWoman  over a year ago

Leicester

"They stay with me every other weekend and I only pop to c them a couple of hours during the week rest of my time is either working or being with her"

Are you going to your exes home to see them? If so, Maybe that's the problem rarer than you seeing your kids (not that it should make a difference).

maidstone

"They stay with me every other weekend and I only pop to c them a couple of hours during the week rest of my time is either working or being with her

Are you going to your exes home to see them? If so, Maybe that's the problem rarer than you seeing your kids (not that it should make a difference)."

We mostly go back to mine or I take them for dinner

What is she expecting from you?

If you see your kids every other weekend and some evenings, then the other weekend I presume you spend it with her?

Is she expecting to spend every weekend with you?

By *uzz And WoodyCouple  over a year ago

Maidstone

Blimey, if she’s got the hump with you seeing your children I’d hate to think how she’d react about you being on here.

And, personally, I’d never want a man who could ditch his kids so well done you for doing the right thing by them.

Mrs x

By *ieman300Man  over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

"Her behaviour is normal for her, do you want it to become normal for you?"

That's bonkers! You sound like you have the same pattern seeing your kids as I do my two.

My kids are my world. I can't get to see them enough, they're like my drug, I'm addicted to them! And you say she's got kids of her own too?

You'd think she'd be a bit more understanding. To quote my eldest step daughter "Bin her off".

By *uriousTwosomeCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

Kids grow up way too fast, after 13 they'll want nothing but cash out of you, so enjoy time with them while you can. If she doesn't like that, find another girlfriend, they are replaceable, your kids aren't

By *typical guyMan  over a year ago

wigan

So, after just a few dates you are being made to feel bad about seeing your children?

Forget this woman mate. She is selfish and manipulative and it won't get better. I would hazard a guess that she is also a hypocrite and that you should run for the hills.

"Hi peeps I was after a little advise I've been out on a few dates with someone but she's saying that I spend too much time seeing my boys in the evenings i try to see them as much as possible but she's making me feel bad for doing it obviously I will always choose my boys first but was just wondering if her behavior is normal "

This might sound harsh but bin the c**t no one should ever ever make you feel bad for spending time with your children. Well done to you as alot of single dads want nothing to do with there kids. So be proud and find someone who is willing to accept you and that your kids always come first

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Like others have commented, my son always comes first. If she's making an issue out of it now, I'd imagine it will only get worse down the line.

i'd tell her to mind her own business sheesh

"Her behaviour is normal for her, do you want it to become normal for you?"

Boom. That's perfect.

I'm glad u said the kids would always come first before her,that's the way any parent would be ....I know I would..

If she's saying this now so early on in the relationship what's it gonna be like further down the road, it could be your friends next then the rest of ur family and then it would be just you and her, is that what u want???? Good luck op.xxx

By *essandpatCouple  over a year ago

chester

Your children are your life, if someone can't accept that your children come first then they are not right for you x

No it's not ... get rid ... sorry to be harsh but it's a fact x

In my opinion just tell her to do one kids should come first end of

Tell her your kids are your first priority and if she can't accept that you want to spend as much time with them as you can then tell her that she isn't the right woman for you. Partners can come and go but your children will always be there

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Her behaviour is hopefully not normal and very wrong of her! She may not like it but that's her problem,she has the right to walk away and find someone without children or who has older children.

It can be hard when you're starting again after a divorce especially if small children are involved,but they alway's come first. Thankfully they grow up giving the adults more time to spend together.

"It's typical and no uncommon. I know someone who gave her boyfriend an ultimatum, her or his daughter. I found that ironic as her daughter's own father didn't want anything to do with his child, which she constantly run him down for.

Her boyfriend chose her. I would not want any man who would abandon a child for a relationship. "

Cannot stand men without a damn spine. Like my ex!

"Although I generally agree with the above posts, a happy life is about balance. Obviously only you know what you are doing with your time and if you are spending too much or too little time in one area. Kids are important, but so are relationships. You need to make sure you are striking the right balance.

Again, we are just outsiders, maybe this woman is trying to help you find the right balance, maybe she is trying to tip the balance too far the other way. Only you know."

I was going to play devil's advocate and state something similar. Children need routine. Yes they should be a priority when all things are equal, but must also learn circumstances may produce hiccups, dictating other priorities.

On the face of it, this is reasonable.

wigan

"Although I generally agree with the above posts, a happy life is about balance. Obviously only you know what you are doing with your time and if you are spending too much or too little time in one area. Kids are important, but so are relationships. You need to make sure you are striking the right balance.

Again, we are just outsiders, maybe this woman is trying to help you find the right balance, maybe she is trying to tip the balance too far the other way. Only you know.

I was going to play devil's advocate and state something similar. Children need routine. Yes they should be a priority when all things are equal, but must also learn circumstances may produce hiccups, dictating other priorities.

"

There is no justification for her telling him he sees his kids too much. How many mothers would tolerate a man saying the same? Non, and quite rightly so.

There is no justification for her telling him he sees his kids too much. How many mothers would tolerate a man saying the same? Non, and quite rightly so. "

It's about the needs of the children, not of the parents, and certainly not the needs of future partners.

Your children should come first and any reasonable adult would understand that.

Your children should always come first and if she is making you feel like you have to choose then you really need to decide if she is worth it. Maybe sit down and talk to her. Explain how important your kids are to you.

By *iffaWoman  over a year ago

wherever

A typical single parent dating issue. In a relationship the other person will always want to be your no 1 priority but when you have kids that’s just never going to happen

wigan

There is no justification for her telling him he sees his kids too much. How many mothers would tolerate a man saying the same? Non, and quite rightly so.

It's about the needs of the children, not of the parents, and certainly not the needs of future partners."

Exactly, so why are you, and others making allowances for the new partner?

wigan

[Removed by poster at 28/09/17 14:44:26]

My former FWB s ex wife scuppered all our plans by telling him he had to have his son on the Thursday, the only eve I can meet. She cares not about the son, she fked off all over Christmas to spend it with her new man she hardly knew. I let him stay at my place overnights on a different night instead. I feel sorry for the son as his mother dumps him as much as possible. I wanted a proper permanent relationship with the ex FWB and I would have happily taken the son on as well. XXX

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

Is making you see your kids less acceptable? I'd say not.

Is it NSA? No.

You can, 'A' try to fix it, which might be an on-going issue, or 'B' walk away.

I'd suggest 'B'.

By *UNKIEMan  over a year ago

south east

"She needs to be told assertively that your children come first. If she can't accept that, then I'd consider breaking ties. "

this

It's about the needs of the children, not of the parents, and certainly not the needs of future partners.

Exactly, so why are you, and others making allowances for the new partner? "

You've misunderstood the posts.

Family before fanny, always

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

My Son is for ever.

No contest.

It's your life OP your choices, but in my view anyone who cannot accept or recognise that our children are the best of us and deal with that like a grown up...

They wouldn't be for me...

Perhaps you need to talk with her rather than ask a bunch if strangers. But I get the impression that deep inside you already know the answer...

Good luck OP

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

The kids were there before her mate. Kindly remind her at first, it's only fair.

"It's typical and no uncommon. I know someone who gave her boyfriend an ultimatum, her or his daughter. I found that ironic as her daughter's own father didn't want anything to do with his child, which she constantly run him down for.

Her boyfriend chose her. I would not want any man who would abandon a child for a relationship.

Cannot stand men without a damn spine. Like my ex!"

My ex was like this

He was in my daughters life for the first three months then his girlfriend didn't like the fact he would stay in on a weekend and spend time with our daughter when his mum had her

So she gave him an an ultimatum he chose her

Then he split with her and pretty much just drifted in and out of my daughter life occasionally

All he girlfriends was the same never wanted him to spend time with my daughter or his other children

Now it's backfired and our daughter who is now 26 refuses to have anything to do with because he always chose his many girlfriends over his children

And he wonders why

wigan

You've misunderstood the posts."

No I haven't. You wrote "but must also learn circumstances may produce hiccups, dictating other priorities." This selfish new partner is not a priority, they have no right dictating anything and it is not something that should be accepted or tolerated.

Others wrote things like "we only know one side of the story" and "maybe she is trying to help balance your life" as though there is a possibility of her being justified saying what she did rather than simply selfish, inconsiderate and manipulative.

You need to give her the boot..

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

Anyone who asks you to choose between them & your kids.

Needs a kick up the arse & out the door.

No it's bloody not. It is selfish and manipulative.

She needs to get gone, If she can't respect your time with your kids.

No I haven't. You wrote "but must also learn circumstances may produce hiccups, dictating other priorities." This selfish new partner is not a priority, they have no right dictating anything and it is not something that should be accepted or tolerated.

Others wrote things like "we only know one side of the story" and "maybe she is trying to help balance your life" as though there is a possibility of her being justified saying what she did rather than simply selfish, inconsiderate and manipulative."

You've given your own interpretation which i will state you're wrong.

Op

Do what you want, they are your kids

If someone is trying to make you chose, I know what my answer would always be - my kids

If they are right for you, they will understand

wigan

Others wrote things like "we only know one side of the story" and "maybe she is trying to help balance your life" as though there is a possibility of her being justified saying what she did rather than simply selfish, inconsiderate and manipulative.

You've given your own interpretation which i will state you're wrong."

I notice you don`t state how I am wrong.. how else am I to interpret you saying that kids "must also learn" that they are not daddy's priority but the new squeeze is?

I appreciate (hope) that you are pondering a life lesson in general rather than endorsing this specific behavior however you chose to apply it to this situation and as such, imply that dad`s need for a jump is more important than quality time with them.

- "circumstances may produce hiccups, dictating other priorities."

I personally wouldn't date a man with children for this exact same reason.

I wouldn't want to be with someone who would throw his kids to the side to accommodate me but at the same time I wouldn't want to be with someone where I wasn't their top priority

If I was you I'd tell her to f**k off

If she cant understand that your kids are number one now it will only get worse as the relationship progresses

"Good for you making your boys a priority

If she can't accept that then clearly she lacks compassion and understanding that you have responsibility of children ....

More men should take your lead and be a parent ...

Good luck hun xx"

wigan

"

I`m quoting this bit again because it is particularly pertinant. You all seem to think that seeing your kids should be balenced out and this is the crux of why I take issue with what has been said, for a few reasons.

Firstly kids are a responsibilty, not a hobby or a chore. It should be full time responsibility however breakups dictate that it is not always possible.

Secondly, I`m sure OP would like to see them even more regularly if he could so it is not in his (or the kids) interests to see them less.

Lastly, (only because i can`t be bothered detailing everything that is wrong with the quoted opinions) A relationship that excludes your children should have no importance in your life and pursuing it at the expense of your relationship with your children is a surefire way of tipping the balance completely the wrong way.

Your kids come first, if she dont like it show her the door

This is an easy one - kids come first.

You'll always be their dad no matter what - girlfriends may come and go !

And if she's starting like this after a couple of dates - then I'd be thinking this one can 'go' !!

Kids come 1st end of. Can't even believe you need to ask

I notice you don`t state how I am wrong.. how else am I to interpret you saying that kids "must also learn" that they are not daddy's priority but the new squeeze is?

I appreciate (hope) that you are pondering a life lesson in general rather than endorsing this specific behavior however you chose to apply it to this situation and as such, imply that dad`s need for a jump is more important than quality time with them.

"

Your assumptions are just too much. You assume i was referring to this woman the OP has been dating - wrong. The woman isn't even his partner.

No one knows what lies ahead, but if we instil routine and stability into our children's lives, then when hiccups occur, they'll be able to handle life better. Scenario: OP sees kids every other weekend. They know that's their quality time with dad. OP introduced new partner (future scenario). Kids accept she is part of his life but he still sets aside time for them without her. This is the part where he prioritises them when all is considered equal.

Partner is involved in accident. She is now the priority. Kids are put on hold, with support.

See, life's hiccups.

Don't assume you know what someone means, instead ask them. You won't end up with egg on your face then.

Kids first everytime, someone gave me grief on here for missing a meet because I had to look after my kids at short notice. Not even a debate for me, and she was no loss.

Oh and I've actually suggested to a man separated from his wife that he needs to set up a routine. This is then beneficial for the kids and the parents in the future if they get partners.

I've seen at first hand the trauma caused by selfish new partners and spineless dads.

wigan

Your assumptions are just too much. You assume i was referring to this woman the OP has been dating - wrong. The woman isn't even his partner.

No one knows what lies ahead, but if we instil routine and stability into our children's lives, then when hiccups occur, they'll be able to handle life better. Scenario: OP sees kids every other weekend. They know that's their quality time with dad. OP introduced new partner (future scenario). Kids accept she is part of his life but he still sets aside time for them without her. This is the part where he prioritises them when all is considered equal.

Partner is involved in accident. She is now the priority. Kids are put on hold, with support.

See, life's hiccups.

Don't assume you know what someone means, instead ask them. You won't end up with egg on your face then.

"

Nice sidestep, however it has no relevance to the topic and replies you quoted or any previous discussion. You creating an extreme, imaginary and contrived scenario to try and give credance to your statements does not leave me with egg on my face at all.

In reality, the op is already giving the kids stability by seeing them regularly, the partner hasn`t had an accident and you commented in support of people saying that she may have some justification and be trying to do him a favour and balance his life.

You even went as far as assumng authority to assert their points and now you expect me to believe that you were actually talking about something completely different and irrelevant to the topic being discussed?

"Anyone who asks you to choose between them & your kids.

Needs a kick up the arse & out the door. "

Yep

wigan

"Oh and I've actually suggested to a man separated from his wife that he needs to set up a routine. This is then beneficial for the kids and the parents in the future if they get partners.

I've seen at first hand the trauma caused by selfish new partners and spineless dads. "

And? Did you suggest he spent less time with the kids?

See, life's hiccups.

Nice sidestep, however it has no relevance to the topic and replies you quoted or any previous discussion. You creating an extreme, imaginary and contrived scenario to try and give credance to your statements does not leave me with egg on my face at all.

In reality, the op is already giving the kids stability by seeing them regularly, the partner hasn`t had an accident and you commented in support of people saying that she may have some justification and be trying to do him a favour and balance his life.

You even went as far as assumng authority to assert their points and now you expect me to believe that you were actually talking about something completely different and irrelevant to the topic being discussed?

"

I don't give two figs what you believe. At the time of posting i commented on posts prior to the ones i had quoted (ie not any that gave further info).

You want to give credence to your assumptions, go ahead. The assumptions are simply wrong.

"Oh and I've actually suggested to a man separated from his wife that he needs to set up a routine. This is then beneficial for the kids and the parents in the future if they get partners.

I've seen at first hand the trauma caused by selfish new partners and spineless dads.

And? Did you suggest he spent less time with the kids?

"

That's between him, the ex and the kids.

See, life's hiccups.

I don't give two figs what you believe. At the time of posting i commented on posts prior to the ones i had quoted (ie not any that gave further info).

You want to give credence to your assumptions, go ahead. The assumptions are simply wrong."

To continue

I have the ability to look at the bigger picture and you see that as irrelevant to the topic - Rightio.

wigan

See, life's hiccups.

You want to give credence to your assumptions, go ahead. The assumptions are simply wrong."

So you were commenting on earlier post but decided to quote, reference and agree to different ones?

Btw, there are no other post remotely relevent to your comment. Only the ones you quoted..

wigan

See, life's hiccups.

You want to give credence to your assumptions, go ahead. The assumptions are simply wrong.

To continue

I have the ability to look at the bigger picture and you see that as irrelevant to the topic - Rightio.

"

It`s not "the bigger picture", it is irrelevant nonsense. A completely made up and nonsensical viewpoint/scenario and nothing to do with the topic in discussion. One that you only alluded to after the fact.

See, life's hiccups.

To continue

It`s not "the bigger picture", it is irrelevant nonsense. A completely made up and nonsensical viewpoint/scenario and nothing to do with the topic in discussion. One that you only alluded to after the fact."

The bigger picture is totally relevant when the well-being of children are concerned.

The scenario was used to elucidate that hiccups occur in life.

You're short-sighted = your problem.

You continue chasing your tail cos i won't engage with you further.

wigan

See, life's hiccups.

To continue

It`s not "the bigger picture", it is irrelevant nonsense. A completely made up and nonsensical viewpoint/scenario and nothing to do with the topic in discussion. One that you only alluded to after the fact.

The bigger picture is totally relevant when the well-being of children are concerned.

The scenario was used to elucidate that hiccups occur in life.

You're short-sighted = your problem.

You continue chasing your tail cos i won't engage with you further."

Of course the bigger picture is relevant, however you are not giving "the bigger picture", you are inventing a nonapplicable and unrelated scenario to detract from the comment you originally made agreeing that time with kids should be balanced with giving the new partner more attention.

This new partner has not had an accident, nor is the situation anything like the scenario you propose. There is also no need to elucidate that hiccups occur, firstly because it is obvious and secondly the topic is about a specific circumstance to which your "wisdom" does not apply.

As for me being short sighted, that is an assumption of yours. You wont find anything in my posts that you can quote to prove yourself right however my "assumptions" are based on your own words and I can, and have displayed the reasons and justifications for my conclusion. You had opportunity to counter them but instead chose to offer nothing more than condescension and deviation.

» Add a new message to this topic