FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Star Trek discovery

Star Trek discovery

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Yeah or nah?

After three episodes I’m very in the middle! I don’t know what to think of it! I’m just soo confused - it has all the makings of a great series and everyone seems to be raving about it, but I don’t like change and it’s a huge departure from Trek we know and love, there always seems to be far to much detailing in the sets and props it’s hard to pick out what’s going on, some of the acting could be better, and those Klingons! Wtf,

Hmmm give it time and I may like this very dark version, and an extremely dark captain Lorca

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Guess no one likes it then

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Guess no one likes it then "

What gave you that idea?

"Guess no one likes it then

What gave you that idea?"

The tumble

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

We're liking it. Obviously it's very early days yet, but so far it's been quite good.

I agree with the comments about the Klingons, I don't understand why they wouldn't just decide on a Klingon physiology that works and stick with it... unless they're trying to create a "Missing Link" between the Kirk era Klingons and those from T.N.G. et al.

Cal

"We're liking it. Obviously it's very early days yet, but so far it's been quite good.

I agree with the comments about the Klingons, I don't understand why they wouldn't just decide on a Klingon physiology that works and stick with it... unless they're trying to create a "Missing Link" between the Kirk era Klingons and those from T.N.G. et al.

Cal"

I’m sure the Klingons appearance was explained in a episode once, a mutation by a virus tho tbf I can’t remember what series it was, one of the later poss ds9 as I remember the doctor being taken without consent to work on it

By *aptivatingWoman  over a year ago

Chester

"We're liking it. Obviously it's very early days yet, but so far it's been quite good.

Cal

I’m sure the Klingons appearance was explained in a episode once, a mutation by a virus tho tbf I can’t remember what series it was, one of the later poss ds9 as I remember the doctor being taken without consent to work on it"

Enterprise also had quite a bit to say on it - all about this virus, but then I really struggled with enterprise, despite how excited I was by it. The new series however I'm actually really enjoying so far - Jason Isaacs is generally guaranteed to bring some fun twists with him!

By *uckandbunnyCouple  over a year ago

In your bed

Cal

I’m sure the Klingons appearance was explained in a episode once, a mutation by a virus tho tbf I can’t remember what series it was, one of the later poss ds9 as I remember the doctor being taken without consent to work on it

Enterprise also had quite a bit to say on it - all about this virus, but then I really struggled with enterprise, despite how excited I was by it. The new series however I'm actually really enjoying so far - Jason Isaacs is generally guaranteed to bring some fun twists with him!"

Say hello to Jason Isaacs

I was willing to over look some very suspect decision's (Klingon design and breath scanners being two of them) until they explained the Discovery's mission and how they plan to win the war. So at the moment it's nay from me but maybe that will change.

Cal

Enterprise also had quite a bit to say on it - all about this virus, but then I really struggled with enterprise, despite how excited I was by it. The new series however I'm actually really enjoying so far - Jason Isaacs is generally guaranteed to bring some fun twists with him!"

I thought originally it was enterprise!! Your right it was,

New Trek is very jj abrams, fast paced etc

[Removed by poster at 07/10/17 12:05:39]

"I was willing to over look some very suspect decision's (Klingon design and breath scanners being two of them) until they explained the Discovery's mission and how they plan to win the war. So at the moment it's nay from me but maybe that will change.

"

breath scanners...and no camera to record who goes in and out of a room...

laughable...

Cal

Enterprise also had quite a bit to say on it - all about this virus, but then I really struggled with enterprise, despite how excited I was by it. The new series however I'm actually really enjoying so far - Jason Isaacs is generally guaranteed to bring some fun twists with him!

I thought originally it was enterprise!! Your right it was,

New Trek is very jj abrams, fast paced etc"

I'm sure klingi#ons were explained from ones being from the north and the others the south, as regards to head features..I wish I had my star trek chronology book lol

By *eesideMan  over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

Runs in and shouts

Star trek suks

Star wars rules

Runs out agen

"Runs in and shouts

Star trek suks

Star wars rules

Runs out agen "

jumps in and shouts DICK!

"Runs in and shouts

Star trek suks

Star wars rules

Runs out agen

jumps in and shouts DICK! "

Lol

You can not beet the power of the force

By *nSeeNMan  over a year ago

Z'ha'dum

didnt even know it was out

I've watched the first 3 and enjoyed them.

The Klingon explanation is a virus that has mutated over the generations and why they differ the original up to TNG, this is just another mutation.

I did like the throwback to the original with the bridge sounds, the phaser and communicator design.

By *m3232Man  over a year ago

maidenhead

When’s it on

"When’s it on"

Netflix, drops in on a Sunday I think.

Monday’s on Netflix

"Monday’s on Netflix "

or watch it as I do...online lol..

Honestly the orville has entertained me more..much in the way znation has entertained me more over the walking dead..

I remember being promised Star Trek as a NEW entity... instead they've went down this whole new reboot mahhingy..and even worse going back a few hundred years in the past to set new stories..

this Star trek will fail..1 season and it will be pulled...possibly the end of the series being televised in my opinion..............and it is a shame...STNG/DS9/Vgr...all were pretty perfect examples of LONG running shows.

I'm enjoying it

It’s a shame as it should have been pushed to the future, new ideas etc but I guess producers and writer seem a little stuck with that lately,, hence the abundance of Spider-Man / hulk film remakes etc

I'm trekky mad but have not seen this one.What channel is it on,if its on Atlantic then I'm fucked as Virgin doesn't show it.

"I'm trekky mad but have not seen this one.What channel is it on,if its on Atlantic then I'm fucked as Virgin doesn't show it."

Neflix

I don't have that one.

In your bed

"Runs in and shouts

Star trek suks

Star wars rules

Runs out agen

jumps in and shouts DICK!

Lol

You can not beet the power of the force "

The truth is a 3 edged sword!

By *andom2chatMan  over a year ago

A Galaxy Far, Far Away & Spain

It’s not Star Trek, Jim but it has potential.

I liked the first two episodes & now watched all available 3 on repeat viewings on Netflix.

Conclusion: it had enough nods to original Trek, with more in common with JJ Trek (camera flares). I’m still loving have new Trek on tv

So far I'm on edge with it.

It's okay but some of the acting is a bit questionable.

The storyline is quite interesting though.

~Mia

"So far I'm on edge with it.

~Mia"

I thought that - esp with the female captain of the first ship, certainly no Janeway

By *mynclMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

I don’t think I like it, why would they go and set it in the past and not further in time than the previous ones, no where near as good as DS4 or Yoyager, (BTW Im not a nerd ?? lol)

I'm quite liking it so far, early days though

"So far I'm on edge with it.

~Mia

I thought that - esp with the female captain of the first ship, certainly no Janeway "

Yeah I thought her acting was very flat. Don't like her at all.

Janeway is a very high standard to beat.

~Mia

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

"

"

If only there was a remake of B5.

B5 kicked Trek's Ass.

"I don’t think I like it, why would they go and set it in the past and not further in time than the previous ones, no where near as good as DS4 or Yoyager, (BTW Im not a nerd ?? lol)"

Not a nerd - don’t worry cos Im sure I’m a big enough nerd for the both of us!

Btw it’s deep space 9 etc etc

In your bed

"

If only there was a remake of B5.

B5 kicked Trek's Ass."

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.

I liked both but b5 had a better long story arch

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

Lorca is my kinda captain -!the f bomb was dropped on sundays episode

By *andom2chatMan  over a year ago

A Galaxy Far, Far Away & Spain

The “F” bomb was immediately picked up when I watched it, but as the chat online seems to be that Tilly might have asbergers or something then it might be construed that it was ok for her character to be the one who uttered it first. It certainly seems to be moving away from the enlightened Star Trek of old, & heading for a more gritty Trek for the current audiences where things are not so clean cut.

I’ts still good to have some new Trek to enjoy on tv again, even if we are jettisoning some of Roddenberry’s more Utopian sentiments.

This is hard to watch...I'm voting it even worse than enterprise.

I’m still enjoying it

Im still 50/50

harrow

I would say anyone that started then stopped should rewatch so many little nods and secrets through the series

The latest episode smashed it for me - OMG

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"I would say anyone that started then stopped should rewatch so many little nods and secrets through the series

The latest episode smashed it for me - OMG "

Yep, I find it’s really getting better and better

I'm a fan of it.

All the space ships

All the different planits

All the different carietours

The empire and the rebels.

All the light sabre battles and the force...........

By *otSoNewWalesCoupleCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

Absolutely loving it!

South Wales

Cal"

What about the Klingons in the recent movie? Different again.

I’ve not seen it yet my boys seem to like it, Ads refuses to watch anything Star Trek related so I doubt I’ll get to watch it anytime soon lol. Might have to have a binge watch while he is on his stag do!

Geeky x

I think its awesome

I need to see this!!!!

"I’ve not seen it yet my boys seem to like it, Ads refuses to watch anything Star Trek related so I doubt I’ll get to watch it anytime soon lol. Might have to have a binge watch while he is on his stag do!

Geeky x"

I just want to point out I’ve said more than once said let’s watch Star Trek I know you like it

Ads

the season finale was great...and I really think that was down to jonathan frakes(riker) directing it

"the season finale was great...and I really think that was down to jonathan frakes(riker) directing it"

otherwise it's still a bit pish

By *ea_CoffeeCouple  over a year ago

Near Kettering

I like it, not a big fan of the Klingons new appearance but get the whole virus thing so it does fit.

My only problem with the show is that it was set in the "prime" universe / timeline and they have this new spore drive that can instantly transport them literally anywhere they want in an instant, yet poor Janeway and her crew spend years searching for a way home after being stranded in the delta quadrant.

Why didn't they just a build a spore drive and go home?

By *hilhendersonMan  over a year ago

aberdeen

i thought the klingon apperance was because of a failed eugenics experiment..i have to say i thought it was a bit dull to start with but i watched the latest episode last night and i was shouting at the telly.i didnt see the twist coming at all ...its awesome...its still trek for me..

im just glad its not like deep space 9...that was like eastenders in space..the captain ,sisco was terrible...

By *hortieWoman  over a year ago

Northampton

"I like it, not a big fan of the Klingons new appearance but get the whole virus thing so it does fit.

My only problem with the show is that it was set in the "prime" universe / timeline and they have this new spore drive that can instantly transport them literally anywhere they want in an instant, yet poor Janeway and her crew spend years searching for a way home after being stranded in the delta quadrant.

Why didn't they just a build a spore drive and go home?"

Because, as we are yet to see, the spore drive carries too great a cost to use.... so it was abandoned as a means of travel.

By *ea_CoffeeCouple  over a year ago

Near Kettering

"I like it, not a big fan of the Klingons new appearance but get the whole virus thing so it does fit.

Because, as we are yet to see, the spore drive carries too great a cost to use.... so it was abandoned as a means of travel. "

I did think that and agree that is probably where the writers of the show will take discovery, however even if that is the case in voyager season 5 episode 26 "equinox" the crew of the equinox have already broken the prime directive and killed a number of innocent beings to get home. Why didn't they build a spore drive?

Think I may be a little geeky too lol.

By *hortieWoman  over a year ago

Northampton

Because, as we are yet to see, the spore drive carries too great a cost to use.... so it was abandoned as a means of travel.

I did think that and agree that is probably where the writers of the show will take discovery, however even if that is the case in voyager season 5 episode 26 "equinox" the crew of the equinox have already broken the prime directive and killed a number of innocent beings to get home. Why didn't they build a spore drive?

Think I may be a little geeky too lol."

Try rewatching ToS..... a directive was broken in damn near every episode lol :D

I do love how in Discovery, all the characters are fundamentally flawed.

By *ikerdude2017Man  over a year ago

Retford

Great show but prefer The Orville.

Love Silvia Tilly in the Terrian captains Uniform nice ass. In the last episode.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"

"

I don't want to spoil the latest episode if you haven't seen it yet, but looks like the spore network may not be doing so well...

Would imagine it's not going to be usable at all pretty soon.

South Wales

"Great show but prefer The Orville.

Love Silvia Tilly in the Terrian captains Uniform nice ass. In the last episode. "

I had high hopes for The Orville, but it left me cold.

By *he-Dirty-DuoMan  over a year ago

Boston

"Yeah or nah?

After three episodes I’m very in the middle! I don’t know what to think of it! I’m just soo confused - it has all the makings of a great series and everyone seems to be raving about it, but I don’t like change and it’s a huge departure from Trek we know and love, there always seems to be far to much detailing in the sets and props it’s hard to pick out what’s going on, some of the acting could be better, and those Klingons! Wtf,

Hmmm give it time and I may like this very dark version, and an extremely dark captain Lorca "

You got to carry on with it, I'm loving it

Love it..

I find the spore drive a little annoying, especially as dark matter has its blink drive...and I prefer dark matter to be honest!- albeit its lack of aliens.

I started to watch it but that tall guy got on my nerves so didnt bother again

harrow

Sunday’s episode wow wow wow

I didn’t think last weeks could be bettered oh but it could very much so.

Amazing and if anyone watches aftertrek the chat show after omg!!!!!!

I loved ds9 esp season 4

"Great show but prefer The Orville.

Love Silvia Tilly in the Terrian captains Uniform nice ass. In the last episode.

I had high hopes for The Orville, but it left me cold."

She looked well yummy

» Add a new message to this topic