FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Misandry.

Misandry.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

A misogynist is a person who hates women. A person who hates men can be described as a misandrist, and the corresponding noun is misandry. But however prevalent the attitudes described by these words may be, the words themselves aren't common. There are currently only 29 examples of misandrist in the Oxford English Corpus, while misogynist appears more than 1,500 times; 68 uses of  misandry are overshadowed by over 2,000 examples of misogyny.

So is it more acceptable in society to dislike men? Or is it a simple case of men behave far more inexcusably towards women and their behaviour is indefensible, or do we just label everything these days as opposed to saying....that's out of order!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *orthatry84Couple  over a year ago

cardiff

I do feel like it is much easier to be demeaning of men in this day and age and get away with it, I am fully for equality between the sexes and I don’t think we are there yet, but it does feel like in some areas it has shifted towards an assumption that men are always in the wrong. Interested to see other views.

Ms x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Is it not the case that historically misogyny has been pretty much the de facto norm. Now society has been evolved where those norms are being questioned.

Opportunities for misogyny are greater than those for misandry?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Is it not the case that historically misogyny has been pretty much the de facto norm. Now society has been evolved where those norms are being questioned.

Opportunities for misogyny are greater than those for misandry?"

I agree.

However misandry needs addressing and challenging because I think it's on the rise.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think there are two longstanding legacies that our culture has -

Inappropriate behavior and attitudes towards women that had them as second class citizens, expected to suffer in silence and accept that they were due much mistreatment ot judgment from others.

Secondly, men were to accept harshness as if superhuman.

Two sides of the same coin, in terms of the inhumanity involved, that mistreatment of others was not just tolerated but supported at all levels of society. I think the imbalance towards women reflects a disdain for women as equals.

"A misogynist is a person who hates women. A person who hates men can be described as a misandrist, and the corresponding noun is misandry. But however prevalent the attitudes described by these words may be, the words themselves aren't common. There are currently only 29 examples of misandrist in the Oxford English Corpus, while misogynist appears more than 1,500 times; 68 uses of  misandry are overshadowed by over 2,000 examples of misogyny.

So is it more acceptable in society to dislike men? Or is it a simple case of men behave far more inexcusably towards women and their behaviour is indefensible, or do we just label everything these days as opposed to saying....that's out of order!

"

What is the word for women who dislike other women?(I have my female boss in mind.

"Is it not the case that historically misogyny has been pretty much the de facto norm. Now society has been evolved where those norms are being questioned.

Opportunities for misogyny are greater than those for misandry?

I agree.

However misandry needs addressing and challenging because I think it's on the rise. "

It does need addressing. I heard recently that that ASA were going to start coming down against adverts which promoted gender stereotypes, particularly in regards to the aspirations of young children, which is a welcome move. No mention was made however of Dad's being comic foils i.e. hapless around the house.

A small thing maybe, but maybe symptomatic?

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Men are expected to be strong and resilient. Perhaps taking offence to casual misandry could be seen as a sign of weakness?

» Add a new message to this topic