FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Housemates

Housemates

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hope someone can help me out on this: as I have moved from 1 place to another, and then found outility that the town i'my living in isn't lgbt friendly, I am really torn between moving somewhere else, or moving back to my old home town. What do you think I should do?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

You haven't given us much to go on. I'm not sure it's a good idea to stay somewhere that you don't feel welcome though

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Just be careful... Play it down for a while and then make a decision ... Good luck

What do you mean by 'not LGBT' friendly ?

If you mean small town mentality then, sadly, you will find that in most provincial towns.

Even Manchester, which as a city is hugely welcoming to the LGBT community, move 3 miles out of the city centre and you are out of the game again.

That said, I also dislike the ghettoisation of the LGBT community.

Look at places like Hulme where the term 'Hulmeosexual' has been coined such are the number of LGBT people living there.

If the community puts itself into that ghetto situation, how does it hope to break down the provincial barriers and educate those that have been brought up to believe that LGBT is wrong ?

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I was made to feel uncomfortable at my old place, and also my parents dont accept me for being my self. The place i'my in now is really nice and the people accept me. The thing with the town i'm in now, is that it is a old mining town with bigotry in truckloads. Anyone who is goth/emo/punk, never mind trans, will get starred at.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Your safety and wellbeing are paramount to your health and happiness. Without knowing more, I'd focus on ensuring home safety and taking tough decisions about your life and career for the medium and longer term.

If you are living with people who don't respect you, then take some time to discuss things when it's not a crisis point. If it's an unsuitable home situation, review shorter term options, if you can. Nearby LGBT services may have some support options, helping searches etc.

Also look at whether you have local police or other support help, for inappropriate behaviour from others.

"I was made to feel uncomfortable at my old place, and also my parents dont accept me for being my self. The place i'my in now is really nice and the people accept me. The thing with the town i'm in now, is that it is a old mining town with bigotry in truckloads. Anyone who is goth/emo/punk, never mind trans, will get starred at. "

Please watch this

It's in German but there's subtitles there

It helped me understand both myself and those around me

https://youtu.be/2fpA29cMlcU

I live in a little village where “we don’t do that”.

They now realise that they may not but I certainly do.

People got used to seeing me and I’m yesterdays news to some extent now.

"I was made to feel uncomfortable at my old place, and also my parents dont accept me for being my self. The place i'my in now is really nice and the people accept me. The thing with the town i'm in now, is that it is a old mining town with bigotry in truckloads. Anyone who is goth/emo/punk, never mind trans, will get starred at. "

Some smaller towns are set in ways. This won't change, you don't have to either. Maybe best to take advice from the people your living with as they will know more about the geography and history around there. It's easy for people to say 'ignore' or go for help but i have Tourettes and that alone was a running battle with a tough society that i grew up in. Things do change, you can change some opinions but I have found realistically not all. x

» Add a new message to this topic